Has there been any development on LivingDNA's German project?

Ralex004

Reaction score
I'm of mixed heritage; half British (Yorkshire), a quarter German (Hesse, Bavaria, Baden-Württemberg) and a quarter French (Île-de-France, Auvergne). I was wondering if there might have been any progress on LivingDNA's project for German heritage.

I sent a DNA sample each in to LivingDNA and 23andme and have already tested with AncestryDNA. I've read in other forums that many calculators tend to grossly overestimate British heritage for those of Northwestern European heritage, which concerns me seeing as that's my main genetic cluster, ancestrally speaking.

When I tested with AncestryDNA, their first estimate was rather spot-on, but their updated version is entirely wrong. My French grandmother first received an excessively high estimate of British DNA but the updated version revised her estimate and made her mostly French, but with a sizeable portion from England & Wales nonetheless.

If anyone has any idea of how LivingDNA's project has come along, I'd be happy to know, because it's really on my French and German sides that I want the most genetic insight.

On-paper genealogy:
British: 43.75%
Irish: 6.25%
German: 25%
French: 22.885%
Spanish: 3.125%

Previous AncestryDNA results:
Great Britain: 46%
Scandinavia: 22%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales: 13%
Europe South: 9%
Europe West: 7%
Iberian Peninsula: 2%
Europe East: <1%

Updated AncestryDNA results:
England and Wales: 61%
Ireland and Scotland: 31%
Sweden: 6%
Norway: 2%

If anybody is interested in GEDmatch admixture results, let me know.

Y'all have been a real help. In case anyone's interested, I didn't get any French or German, just a truckload of British with some Scandinavian, Spanish and Tuscan.

Y'all have been a real help. In case anyone's interested, I didn't get any French or German, just a truckload of British with some Scandinavian, Spanish and Tuscan.

Hi Ralex004, I am very sorry that no one has contributed to your thread, but it is not easy to help on what you ask. Private companies that test DNA always give little information on the methods and samples they use to estimate the ancestry composition.

Could you post your complete LivingDNA's results?

AncestryDNA is ok, but yes, they tend to overestimate British (and sometimes Scandinavian) in particular. 23andMe is more precise in the last 500 yrs, but they are less exacting with German ancestry.

Unfortunately I can't find the source, but recently I saw that they were still looking for additional samples for their German pool and said they were around 40% finished (but they said that about their Irish project a while back and it does not appear to be any closer to finished).

I liked LivingDNA, but I have German that it mostly missed so I'm assuming that might be in my English results. Looking forward to the update (and the matching which should start at some point).

This thread has been viewed 5457 times.

Back