Pre-school programs don't work

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
[h=1]"Large randomized controlled trial finds state pre-k program has adverse effects on academic achievement"[/h]See:
http://www.straighttalkonevidence.o...-has-adverse-effects-on-academic-achievement/

So much for the millions upon millions spent on Head Start Programs. That's probably why these researchers had a hard time getting their work published.

Academic achievement is based on IQ and home environment so long as there's no actual physical disability. That runs counter to the myths the left has pushed for so many years.

I knew these programs didn't help; I'm not sure I understand why they have an adverse effect.

"Large randomized controlled trial finds state pre-k program has adverse effects on academic achievement"

See:
http://www.straighttalkonevidence.o...-has-adverse-effects-on-academic-achievement/

So much for the millions upon millions spent on Head Start Programs. That's probably why these researchers had a hard time getting their work published.

Academic achievement is based on IQ and home environment so long as there's no actual physical disability. That runs counter to the myths the left has pushed for so many years.

I knew these programs didn't help; I'm not sure I understand why they have an adverse effect.

I absolutely agree. Throwing tax payer money at these programs is not going to change one's inherent abilities. And as this shows, this kind of social engineering could even be detrimental. For education in general, it is cruel to force these children to meet unrealistic goals. It would be better to allow them to hone their abilities at what they're good at.

Yeah, not quite sure how they're detrimental, but even if they do get kids with intellectual disabilities "up to speed", they may still struggle to learn new things and adapt to new situations when in elementary or beyond.

Some major faults with the study:

1. The VP-K group contained substantially more intellectually challenged kids than the control group
2. Only 2/3 of the control group stayed at home

Additionally, the pre-K program allowed wide latitude in approaches and activities.

So overall, not a very well designed program and not a well designed study.

Now, I am personally of the opinion that instruction should begin in 1st grade, not before. Kids need to free play and they need to use their imagination. And please no organized soccer activities either.

Give the children to their nanny, granny and grand mommy.
Tasty is allways the bread, sweet it is the honey.
Make the world NOW, beautifull.

This thread has been viewed 6125 times.

Back