Children influence the parenting they receive

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
No?! Really?! :confused::startled:

Sometimes, when I read psychological and even psychiatric studies I wonder if the researchers have been living in an isolation box all their lives. They really think parents act differently with different children because they just do decide to?

Parents are human beings too, and each child has its own innate personality traits, present from birth. Certain personalities elicit more stress in the parent, more anger, may require more or less engagement, more or less intervention, and, frankly, can engender more or less affection, not that a parent shouldn't try to mask that.

See:"[h=1]Genetic and Environmental Associations Between Child Personality and Parenting"[/h]http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1948550618784890

"Parenting is often conceptualized in terms of its effects on offspring. However, children may also play an active role in influencing the parenting they receive. Simple correlations between parenting and child outcomes may be due to parent-to-child causation, child-to-parent causation, or some combination of the two. We use a multirater, genetically informative, large sample (n = 1,411 twin sets) to gain traction on this issue as it relates to parental warmth and stress in the context of child Big Five personality. Considerable variance in parental warmth (27%) and stress (45%) was attributable to child genetic influences on parenting. Incorporating child Big Five personality into the model roughly explained half of this variance. This result is consistent with the hypothesis that parents mold their parenting in response to their child’s personality. Residual heritability of parenting is likely due to child characteristics beyond the Big Five."

No?! Really?! :confused::startled:

Sometimes, when I read psychological and even psychiatric studies I wonder if the researchers have been living in an isolation box all their lives. They really think parents act differently with different children because they just do decide to?

Parents are human beings too, and each child has its own innate personality traits, present from birth. Certain personalities elicit more stress in the parent, more anger, may require more or less engagement, more or less intervention, and, frankly, can engender more or less affection, not that a parent shouldn't try to mask that.

Very true, I have a lot of siblings, and I can see the differences in the kind of relationship they have with my parents. We were born from the same parents, and brought up by them. We have different personalities, but me and my sister are the most similar. My parents point it out too. Me and her also have a similar kind of relationship with my parents as well.

Sometimes, when I read psychological and even psychiatric studies I wonder if the researchers have been living in an isolation box all their lives.
On the contrary, their research would be more direct if they were raised in a box. Instead they live in a culture that eschews explanations for human behavior, and when forced to consider explanations, prefers social over biological explanations every time. Many of them are secretly aware of much, much more than they say, but the last person to say anything about the emperor's clothes was shuffled off to the box, and they'd frankly rather stay right where they are. At least they can still see the sun's light out here, even though they sometimes have to publicly pretend it isn't warm.

This thread has been viewed 3885 times.

Back