Europe without Indo-European Invasion

Jairoken10

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-P311
mtDNA haplogroup
L2b2
What do you think Europe and it's Inhabitants would look like, if the Indo-Europeans never took place there, and never influenced it culturely or genetically?

I think... Less interaction. => More cultural and genetic uniformity.

Less warfare, more focus on culture/trade. More diversity and less genetic uniformity.

Most Europeans would just be a straight mix of early European farmer and western hunter gatherer.

What do you think Europe and it's Inhabitants would look like, if the Indo-Europeans never took place there, and never influenced it culturely or genetically?

The word "invasion" makes it seem like it was a centralized effort by a coherent group of people, maybe they were but I don't think there is any evidence for that, a decentralized migration by many tribes is closer ot truth I think, so "invasions".

They would basically be Sardinians.

Maybe no horses in Europe?!
No patriarcal societies and less wars maybe?!
Why Did i mention war?! Because those people ( the I-E) were likely wary people....

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

Things would stay the same until one of local groups started expanding or until some other group invaded from outside

A paradise where people worship the Mother Goddess and look like Deanna Troi? Up North, some Comb Ceramists hunting seals and speaking a language basal to both Uralic and IE, perhaps. :)

Well Europe would be quite the same because there were no IE invasion of Europe since IE culture IS born in Europe. pontic caspian steppe is in eastern europe and the great bulk of cultural package of historical IE speaking people was mainly from central western europe ( sun cult, cremation ritual ecc....). So either IE was born in eastern europe or was a blending and a mix of eastern and western europe languages and cultures.

Regarding phenotypes more or less the same because the so called "Mediterranean" "Alpine" "Nordic" types were already in W.Europe before them. Same is true for brown green blue eyes, black blond red brown hair and dark/light skin.

Warriors and patriarchy were present in many Pre-IE Copper age cultures. The only thing that would be very different is languages

Example the widow tomb, Rinaldone culture
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rinaldone_culture
A warrior was buried with his wife (killed)
http://www.canino.info/inserti/monografie/etruschi/rinaldone/images/image-1.jpg

Utilizzando Tapatalk

The Globular amphora too (the culture "conquered" by Corded ware/Yamnaya immigrants) was Pre-IE (EEF/WHG) and warlike...they weren't poor skinny farmers as someone seems to think :)

Utilizzando Tapatalk

The Globular amphora too (the culture "conquered" by Corded ware/Yamnaya immigrants) was Pre-IE (EEF/WHG) and warlike...they weren't poor skinny farmers as someone seems to think :)

Utilizzando Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply.. I was taught and I read always that pre IE populations in Europe were pretty pacifist ...

With the word ‘pacificst’ I mean they were not warlike .....

Utilizzando Tapatalk

Cultures linked with high level of steppe ancestry like corded ware and bell beaker had a cultural package that was basically derived from the farmers world like the kurgans :

Rassamakin Y.Y., 2011. Eneolithic Burial Mounds in the Black Sea Steppe: From the First Burial Symbols to Monumental Ritual Architecture. In: S. Muller-Celka (ed.). Ancestral Landscapes. TMO 61, Maison de l?Orient et la M?diterran?e, Lyon, 293-306.

like the crouched burial east-west or north south oriented which came from the farmers world ( serious archeologist call it "the farmers position"):

STEPS TO THE STEPPE: OR, HOW THE NORTH PONTIC REGION WAS COLONISED

Historical IE societies all ( from India to Ireland, from germanic and italic tribes to hittites) cremated their dead ( a clear western/farmers thing )

even the corded ware pottery seem to be a product of the farmers :

'CORD' ORNAMENTED POTTERY OF THE TRYPILLIA CULTURE

not to mention the presence in the PIE vocabulary of agricultural terminology that rules out the chance of the more eastern part of the steppe as the PIE homeland.

How much time we need to wake up guys?

Thank you for your reply.. I was taught and I read always that pre IE populations in Europe were pretty pacifist ...

Maybe (maybe) Early Neolithic Europeans were pacifist and egalitarian but Indoeuropeans migrated to Europe in the Copper Age and at that time warrior ideology was already widespread in the West (coming from the Near East with metallurgy?)

Utilizzando Tapatalk

I'm not done here the connection with a male symbol of power that we generally associate with the corded ware but is much older and connected ( surprise!) with the western part of the continent and has Northern Italy as its epicenter:

JADE vol. 3 & 4 ENGLISH ABSTRACTS, 2017.- Jade. Objets-signes et interpr?tations sociales des jades alpins dans l'Europe n?olithique. Besan?on, Presses universitaires de Franche-Comt? et Centre de recherche arch?ologique de la vall?e de l'Ain, vol. 4 : 1432-1466

I think we can have a vague idea of that if we just look at the mainly Neolithic Near Eastern-derived populations of West Asia, Southwest Asia and North Africa, as well as some remote regions that are overwhelmingly EEF (ANF + WHG) even today, like some parts of Sardinia. No, I don't think they'd be significantly less warlike, less patriarchal and more egalitarian than the Indo-European societies. Neolithic farming societies were also usually strongly kin-based and had a communal (clan-based or tribe-based) property of the land which would inevitably cause many conflicts especially in times of scarcity.

I think we'd see different cultural and social organizations, but with the development of fully established states and complex economies they'd vie for wealth, power and dominance just as much as other peoples, especially because they were mainly farming societies, which are noticeably associated with increased patriarchal structures and significant income inequality (especially access to land) in most places where advanced farming civilizations happened.

On the other hand, I think they'd probably have developed urban communities and organized state institutions earlier than the Indo-European-derived societies of Northern & Central Europe (in Southern Europe, it's clear there was a huge influence from the local Neolithic societies and also from civilizations on the other side of the Mediterranean). Until horses were adopted by them much later than they in fact did, those non-IE Europeans would be less mobile and more attached to their territories, possibly stimulating the earlier development of large-scale agriculture and permanent building.

This thread has been viewed 19693 times.

Back