Joey37

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Celto-Germanic
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1a-YP445
mtDNA haplogroup
J1c2b
Helix says they do gene sequencing rather than genotyping, so I wasn't surprised to get slightly different results than with 23andMe. The haplogroups were the same; J1C2 for mitochondria and R-CTS11962 for Y chromosome-it's a descendant of my 23andMe clade of R-M417 and an ancestor of my Morley predicted L1029 and WeGene YP445. Much less neanderthal than 23andMe, as well. For 23andMe I got 0% Eastern European while Geno was 25%! I can only suggest that it is because they include some German populations in Eastern Europe with Geno that 23andMe does not. The Sicilian portion of my ancestry made more sense with Geno, as I have 8% West Mediterranean and 2% Italy and Southern Europe, as opposed to the 6% generic Southern European and 3% Balkan at 23andMe. The greater component of my ancestry was 64% Northwestern European, a change from the 88% at 23andMe, which, again, I can attribute to the different classifications of German populations. My first reference population was the Dutch, and the second, Germans.

Helix says they do gene sequencing rather than genotyping, so I wasn't surprised to get slightly different results than with 23andMe. The haplogroups were the same; J1C2 for mitochondria and R-CTS11962 for Y chromosome-it's a descendant of my 23andMe clade of R-M417 and an ancestor of my Morley predicted L1029 and WeGene YP445. Much less neanderthal than 23andMe, as well. For 23andMe I got 0% Eastern European while Geno was 25%! I can only suggest that it is because they include some German populations in Eastern Europe with Geno that 23andMe does not. The Sicilian portion of my ancestry made more sense with Geno, as I have 8% West Mediterranean and 2% Italy and Southern Europe, as opposed to the 6% generic Southern European and 3% Balkan at 23andMe. The greater component of my ancestry was 64% Northwestern European, a change from the 88% at 23andMe, which, again, I can attribute to the different classifications of German populations. My first reference population was the Dutch, and the second, Germans.

I was actually led to believe the same thing initially.

Here's the thing, Helix does in fact sequence your DNA, and captures the whole genome. However, when I downloaded my raw data from National Geographic, they're roughly looking at the same amount of SNPs as a company like 23andme does.

My results were 90% Italian & Southern European, 4% Northwestern European, 4% Northeastern European, and 2% Eastern European. Considering the population of which they're using for "Italian & Southern European" is most likely Southern Italian/Sicilian, 90% makes perfect sense. Basically it means that where I would plot on a PCA, would be pulled "10%" in those directions from their sample Italian population. Not that I actually have those various admixtures from that 10%. Had they used where my family is from in Italy as the sample, I would be closer to 100% "Italian & Southern European".

Example, my top 3 Dodecad k12b results on gedmatch demonstrate this:

1 Sicilian_Dodecad @ 4.251447
2 S_Italian_Sicilian_Dodecad @ 4.351736
3 C_Italian_Dodecad @ 7.259495

Every company has different results, based on how they classify their reference samples.

Last edited:
You can download All your Raw Sequencing Data from the main Helix website for a fee ($499).

Last edited:
A while ago, I was able to reformat the free NatGeo Helix RawData with DnaKitStudio, and load it around.
some results: (ps I’m IT-Apulian)

> source('nMonte.R')
> getMonte('k36.csv', 'resk36.csv')

[1] "1. CLOSEST SINGLE ITEM DISTANCE%"

IT_Abruzzo IT_Apulia IT_Lazio Sicily_Trapani Sicily_Agrigento Sicily_Catania GR_Cyclades IT_Campania
9.611951 10.476163 10.744302 11.052194 11.220150 11.289021 11.330473 11.456571

———————

from an oracle-spreadsheet calculator:

z7EIVWx.jpg

WHTfIEL.jpg

LcL8OYl.jpg

———

From Ged:
P0sBHMq.jpg

My NatGeo Helix Results:
BbvCbYj.jpg

————

Also: The downloadable zip file is not opening, maybe they are are working on backward-compatibility.

5 Population Sharing:
6I2PLwA.jpg

IT_Apulia 22.72%
IT_Abruzzo 22.57%
IT_Lazio 19.14%
Sicily_Trapani 18.21%
IT_Campania 17.37%

(% also located on previous post)

Helix says ...
I am 1/8 Sicilian, so I do not lack Mediterranean ancestry, and much of Sicily was Greek-speaking in the past. For what ... The only part of my ancestry that is non-European is 0.5% Native American. You do the math.

Compare to My Reference Population:

9qvkRiY.jpg

Compare to My Reference Population:

9qvkRiY.jpg

I'd say The people of Salento, and all Puglesi in general are between Central Italians (Umbria, Lazio, Abbruzzio regions), other Southern Italians, and central Greeks. Gedmatch calculators have placed me there as such.

oJL8Q5i.png

I'd say The people of Salento, and all Puglesi in general are between Central Italians (Umbria, Lazio, Abbruzzio regions), other Southern Italians, and central Greeks. Gedmatch calculators have placed me there as such.

oJL8Q5i.png

Generally you're right, we have seen the results of the other Pugliesi, and all point in the direction you described. :)

The General NatGeo-Geno2 Results:

Y95ZTnA.jpg

... 36 hours left ... back-up !!!

IPCT9KR.jpg

axzEAXr.jpg

NatGeo Helix Video - Ancestral Story

Geno Invicta

This thread has been viewed 12664 times.

Back