If you are taller than 183 cm (6 feet), then what is your Y-DNA haplogroup ?

If you are taller than 183 cm, what is your Y-DNA haplogroup?

• C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • G

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I1

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I2

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • J1

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • J2

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • L

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • N

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Q

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • R1a

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • R1b

Votes: 21 25.6%
  • T

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
I’m I1 and 6’5’’ so I1 wins :)

J2b2-L283 and 198cm.

It is for fun. :) ...For now, R1b is not the boss. After 15 participants, it seems that G is the first because it have a spread of only 3-4% in Europe, followed by E. Both old Y-DNA haplo. How many percentages does R1b have in Europe? 40%? I do not know...
I must say that you would take into consideration that most of Europeans are R1a and R1b(as are most users in here), so they will have a greater amount of tall people, though perhaps not percentagewise.

I was thinking of doing this poll to see if, or how much, the height of the men is correlated with Y haplogroup. Because of the limited options offered by the poll and the number of haplogroups, the survey is simple. It refers to those who have a height of at least 183 cm (6 feet).

188 cm, but my father was only 177 cm at peak height, his father and grandfather quite a bit less. While there is a genetic element to it, you will face an uphill battle trying to prove it correlates with YDNA, since we know a lot of factors are based on diet. We know the European hunter-gatherers were heavier boned and taller than the Neolithic immigrants. In modern day, factors like diet/access to food, sleep deprivation, pollution will negatively affect your height, which would have been major limitations during the industrial revolution and so forth.

Interesting because my best friend is also Maltese and taller than me, although he does have a British great grandparent. I've tried to get him to do a YDNA test or 23andMe for years with no luck. My sister's in-laws who share Iberian/Italian Maltese ancestry are not tall.

My opinion is that it's autosomal and not a Y thing. I'm around 2 m tall and so was almost everyone in my father's family as far back as everyone remembers. Male in my mothers family are only 10 cm shorter. The point is that I'm E-V13 and I wouldn't say that people with this haplo are necessarily tall people. But where I come from, this height is not unusual. Even women are often taller than the European male average (my sister is 181 cm). Like I said, it's probably about all 23 pairs of chromosomes. Height is not only a Y chromosome trait inherited from fathers to sons.

After 21 participants, G still seems to be leader with over 14%. This is over three or four times his spread.

YDNA doesn't control height at all....it may be correlative in tall societies but it's not causative.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Eupedia Forum mobile app

The fact that Y chromosome plays a role in human height development is clear. Also look at the XYY syndrome https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XYY_syndrome that results in a higher height on average by 7cm.

Just I found a complex scientific study showing that such a survey is not superfluous. For those who want to read: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1570677X16300065 Besides factors such as nutrition, healthcare and national wealth, genetic factors (Y haplogroups) are included as well. Read at Cap. 3.11. Genetics: North Africa and the Near East.
The conclusions are interesting and can already be seen in this poll! (y) Among the studied haplogroups, G-M201 is most correlated with the high stature.

Last edited:
My opinion is that it's autosomal and not a Y thing. I'm around 2 m tall and so was almost everyone in my father's family as far back as everyone remembers. Male in my mothers family are only 10 cm shorter. The point is that I'm E-V13 and I wouldn't say that people with this haplo are necessarily tall people. But where I come from, this height is not unusual. Even women are often taller than the European male average (my sister is 181 cm). Like I said, it's probably about all 23 pairs of chromosomes. Height is not only a Y chromosome trait inherited from fathers to sons.
Croat males were something like 165cm back in 1880, iirc from that study they increased in height more than even the Dutch till today. It's alot to do with environment, conditions and diet.

qsTRlRo.png

My paternal grandfather was exactly 1.83 (and was very tall for his generation in Greece). His haplogroup was J1- PF7263. My father is shorter than him (1.75). I think that the genes of my grandmother might have contributed to this shortening ;) My mother who has seen lots of children in her practice throughout her career (she is a pediatrician) says that a somewhat short mother can have as an effect that the sons become shorter than their father (even if their nutrition or living standards are better than those of the previous generation). It is an empirical observation, but having it in mind I have also observed this many times (of course, there are always exceptions). Similarly I have observed cases of tall mothers contributing to tall sons of short fathers. It must be a more complex process.
Another interesting fact (which I have observed in many other cases too) is that my aunt (my father's sister) is taller than my dad (1.76) taking after her tall father. So, there is also an observable pattern of tall daughters of tall fathers, analogous to short sons of short mothers/ tall sons of tall mothers.

the average height evolved in Europe according to diet, in Spain for example my parents had a height of 1.65, were children of the Spanish Civil War, however I measure 1.80 and my children 1.84, by Therefore, at least in Spain, diet is essential.

There are multiple studies linking genes on the Y-chromosome to standing height; they account for several centimeters of variation. I cannot post links because I have to have 10 posts to do that, but you can look them up for yourself. :-D

Not claim scientific rigor, but Y-chromosom gives the male characteristics, among which is the greatest height of the men compared to women? Why not some haplogroups mutations do not have as effect small differences? :) Anyway you just contradict yourself... lol

Male pattern baldness is inherited on the X chromosome.

With all due respect, this is a completely pointless exercise.

Larry Bird former NBA basketball player. Height 2,06m.
YDNA G2a2b2a (Z6748)

I2 is the second most common in Europe and ranked 4-5 here? lool ... wake up.

This thread has been viewed 39321 times.

Back