2018 Fields' Medal for Mathematics recipients

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
This is like the Nobel for Mathematics. It's awarded every four years, and you have to be 40 and under to qualify.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/science/fields-medals-mathematics.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

Nice cross section internationally.

Peter Scholze, Alessio Figalli, Akshay Venkatesh, Caucher Birkar

BnLBoyg.png
[/IMG]

4dALrG

This is like the Nobel for Mathematics. It's awarded every four years, and you have to be 40 and under to qualify.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/science/fields-medals-mathematics.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

Nice cross section internationally.

Peter Scholze, Alessio Figalli, Akshay Venkatesh, Caucher Birkar

BnLBoyg.png
[/IMG]

4dALrG
Congratulations to all of them! Congrats to Italian recipient. Italy had long time not getting this price, even being one of the countries where real math did start.! Fibonacci is my favorite! For one who don't know Fibonacci was a teacher who introduced the Arabic numerals to Europe. He included 0 in numerals. It took 300 years for` Europe to embrace his numerals, but here we are we take it for grunted now! I work in the field of math and I know first hand how complicated has gotten!
I wish there was a little more money for the price. I have heard is only $500000. This year there are 4 of them and probably the shared that money.

Congratulations to all of them! Congrats to Italian recipient. Italy had long time not getting this price, even being one of the countries where real math did start.! Fibonacci is my favorite! For one who don't know Fibonacci was a teacher who introduced the Arabic numerals to Europe. He included 0 in numerals. It took 300 years for` Europe to embrace his numerals, but here we are we take it for grunted now! I work in the field of math and I know first hand how complicated has gotten!
I wish there was a little more money for the price. I have heard is only $500000. This year there are 4 of them and probably the shared that money.

I should have labeled the recipients. In order from left to right: Iranian, Italian, German, Indian. I wouldn't have guessed Birkaur as Iranian.

I think Peter Scholze stands out, however. Even I, who is by no means a mathematician, had heard of him.

I should have labeled the recipients. In order from left to right: Iranian, Italian, German, Indian. I wouldn't have guessed Birkaur as Iranian.

I think Peter Scholze stands out, however. Even I, who is by no means a mathematician, had heard of him.

When is a stand out there just one recipient. Since there is not a clear one they are 4. So, their work its important to math, the difficulty of the subject in a scale from 1 to 10, they score 9. I don't know their work, but just getting distinguished from the large number of researchers, in the world mean that this men deserve a lot of respect.
Let say there was a year when was a Russian recipient who proved Ponciare conjecture. He was a clear winner of the price,1 million dollars was offered to him with the price, but he was bizarre. He refused the price, refused the money, even some say quit math altogether.(not sure for the last one). The proof he introduced it took mathematicians around 3 years to verify that indeed that was the proof. very difficult proof.

Birkaur is a Kurdish Iranian.

Why do Peter Scholze stand out?

Birkaur is a Kurdish Iranian.

Why do Peter Scholze stand out?

Someone I know is a mathematician, and had mentioned hearing of him quite some time ago as being someone to watch. I'm not competent to judge for myself. I'm sure they're all absolutely brilliant.

This thread has been viewed 7521 times.

Back