LivingDNA - My results (Lebanon)

Talal

Reaction score
All my grandparents are Lebanese (Lebanese Christians).
My LivingDNA autosomal results (complete mode).

-Near East 73.4%
Levant 56.4%
Iran 9.3%
North Turkey 6.4%
South Turkey 1.3%

- Europe 21.1%
Europe (South) 19.8%
South Italy 14.2%
Aegean 4.5%
Sardinia 1.1%
Europe (East) 1.3%
East Balkans 1.3%

-Asia (South) 5.5%
Pashtun 4.3%
Sindh 1.2%

-Near East 73.4%
Levant 56.4%
Iran 9.3%
North Turkey 6.4%
South Turkey 1.3%

- Europe 21.1%
Europe (South) 19.8%
South Italy 14.2%
Aegean 4.5%
Sardinia 1.1%
Europe (East) 1.3%
East Balkans 1.3%

-Asia (South) 5.5%
Pashtun 4.3%
Sindh 1.2%
I dont think there is genetic difference between Muslims and christian Lebanese. The only difference is the books they read. Muslims let say read the Koran.

I dont think there is genetic difference between Muslims and christian Lebanese. The only difference is the books they read. Muslims let say read the Koran.

Sorry, but your belief is incorrect. There is a genetic difference between Christian and Muslim Lebanese. It's in all the academic papers. It may not be large but it's there. It might not show up as much when the calculator uses modern populations as when ancient samples are used.

Probably the most important differences stem from the fact that the Muslim Lebanese admixed with Muslims who arrived much later in the Levant, i.e. as a result of the migrations from the Arabian peninsula with the spread of Islam. They also admixed a bit with slaves, which the Christian Lebanese didn't do.

Reproductive isolation keeps more of the ancient alleles in the population. Once Islam was established as the religion (after the conquest), there was no such thing as civil marriage. You married within your religion. It might have been slightly different if a Christian woman was taken as a concubine by a Muslim. I'm not sure if they were forced to convert.

The same is true for the Alawite Syrians of Hassad versus other types of Syrians.

Sorry, but your belief is incorrect. There is a genetic difference between Christian and Muslim Lebanese. It's in all the academic papers. It may not be large but it's there. It might not show up as much when the calculator uses modern populations as when ancient samples are used.

Probably the most important differences stem from the fact that the Muslim Lebanese admixed with Muslims who arrived much later in the Levant, i.e. as a result of the migrations from the Arabian peninsula with the spread of Islam. They also admixed a bit with slaves, which the Christian Lebanese didn't do.

Reproductive isolation keeps more of the ancient alleles in the population. Once Islam was established as the religion (after the conquest), there was no such thing as civil marriage. You married within your religion. It might have been slightly different if a Christian woman was taken as a concubine by a Muslim. I'm not sure if they were forced to convert.

The same is true for the Alawite Syrians of Hassad versus other types of Syrians.

Thanks! I was not aware of that.! I was thinking about Southern Europe with different ethnicities and still they are genetically close! I will take a look at the article!

Thanks for sharing, Talal. You seem to have considerable Greek ancestry (South Italy + Aegean = 18.7%), although some South Italy may also be of Roman origin.

-Near East 73.4%
Levant 56.4%
Iran 9.3%
North Turkey 6.4%
South Turkey 1.3%

- Europe 21.1%
Europe (South) 19.8%
South Italy 14.2%
Aegean 4.5%
Sardinia 1.1%
Europe (East) 1.3%
East Balkans 1.3%

-Asia (South) 5.5%
Pashtun 4.3%
Sindh 1.2%

Hi Talal,
My dad is Lebanese and my mom is German, but the results I got from LivingDNA had me scoring 21% Armenian and 3.5% Arabian, with the rest of my Dad's side being assigned to Southern Italy.

Not what I was expecting at all.

Talal did ever receive any updates to your results?
Did you ever use GEDMatch or yourDNAportal to see what autosomal calculators say?

This thread has been viewed 6165 times.

Back