can positive SNP's in raw data, identify individual ancestors.

paul333

Banned
Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
H2a1 M9313
mtDNA haplogroup
H1c3
I have been looking into my raw Data results,from living Dna, and have found each SNP, I am positive for on My 'Y Data' , identifies a main Haplogroup. Is this identifying an ancestor from this group. I have 199 positive SNPs confirmed in my Y- raw data, is this or can this identifying SNP marker specificly relate to an individual Y ancestor. ?

Last edited:
I have been looking into my raw Data results,from living Dna, and have found each SNP, I am positive for on My 'Y Data' , identifies a main Haplogroup. Is this identifying an ancestor from this group. I have 199 positive SNPs confirmed in my Y- raw data, is this or can this identifying SNP marker specificly relate to an individual Y ancestor. ?
I think every mutation that corresponds to a marker should have appeared to an ancestor.

Thanks for the reply, I know my Living Dna Y- H2a1,is an ancient Haplogroup, but I have several what I believe are more recent due to the amount of mutations, etc. SNP markers such as the longest, Y-R1b1a1b1a1a2b4, which may be more recent, and other positive markers confirming both Y- N1a1a1a2, and Y- R1a1a, in my Y ancestry. Is it worth investigating these fully.

Last edited:
Thanks for. the reply, I know my Living Dna Y- H2a1 is an ancient Haplogroup, but I have several what I believe are more recent due to the amount of mutations, etc markers such as the longest, R1b1a1b1a1a2b4, which may be more recent, and other markers with N1a1a1a2, and R1a1a, etc. and is it worth investigating these fully.
So it's not just me! I'm also very puzzled. I found in my data almost 15% very strange markers that are not related to my G2a2b2a haplogroup, but belong to other haplogroups or branches in the tree.
Examples: A0a1, A1b1a1a2, E1b1, E2, E1b1a1a1a2a1a3b1a12, J2a1a2c2a, G1, H1a, D, N1c1, O1b1a1, R1b1, R2, R1a1, R1b1a1a2a1a2b4, E1b1a1a1a2a1a3b1a2a2a1b and so on...
Does not seem normal data to me... and I do not understand what this means. Maybe someone who has better knowledge can get us out of the dilemma.

So it's not just me! I'm also very puzzled. I found in my data almost 15% very strange markers that are not related to my G2a2b2a haplogroup, but belong to other haplogroups or branches in the tree.
Examples: A0a1, A1b1a1a2, E1b1, E2, E1b1a1a1a2a1a3b1a12, J2a1a2c2a, G1, H1a, D, N1c1, O1b1a1, R1b1, R2, R1a1, R1b1a1a2a1a2b4, E1b1a1a1a2a1a3b1a2a2a1b and so on...
Does not seem normal data to me... and I do not understand what this means. Maybe someone who has better knowledge can get us out of the dilemma.

It seems strange that we have other differing Y Haplogroups confirmed that we are descended from, but why is it, our fathers is only restricted to one etc.??. I'm still learning about DNA even after nearly a year and Im still confused, mostly my Raw Data shows multiple single Haplogroups BT, CT,C, and F, which are mostly extinct I think, but those I state must be closer to the present. I updated my post #3 above just to remove any confusion.

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by gidai

It seems strange that we have other differing Y Haplogroups confirmed that we are descended from, but why is it, our fathers is only restricted to one etc.??. I'm still learning about DNA even after nearly a year and Im still confused, mostly my Raw Data shows multiple single Haplogroups BT, CT,C, and F, which are mostly extinct I think, but those I state must be closer to the present. I updated my post #3 above just to remove any confusion.

I understand that it is natural to have older mutations from the basal common trunk like A, BT, CT, F ... because these are the basis of the younger haplogroups such as ours G and H. The problem is with the manny diverse disparate markers from other unrelated branches which belong to others unrelated subgroups, floating... like ghosts in the air. lol... :unsure:

Attachments

• Captură.PNG
    Captură.PNG
    21.9 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for the reply, I know my Living Dna Y- H2a1,is an ancient Haplogroup, but I have several what I believe are more recent due to the amount of mutations, etc. SNP markers such as the longest, Y-R1b1a1b1a1a2b4, which may be more recent, and other positive markers confirming both Y- N1a1a1a2, and Y- R1a1a, in my Y ancestry. Is it worth investigating these fully.

Hi Gidai, I accept that many are really historic, but what about the most recent , such as Y-R1b1a1b1a1a2b4, and N1a1a1a2, which I have found in Europe, and in North, and Northeastern Europe.

The Y-R1b1a1b1a1a2b4 has to be more recent due to the amount of mutations shown, and is the most recent downstream, on the bottom of your highlighted chart. Is this a real ancestor ?? I have other Y R1b confirmations in my Raw Data but just basic R1B etc.

I have been informed by LivingDNA, that my Haplogroup Y H2 is mainly originating from the Asian/Indian area's and then a rare group Y H2 P-96, in Ancient Europe. Then I find others that are confirmed in my Raw Data, there is only a few with subclades the most are just basic, but are they clues to our 'Y' ancestral journey that are downstream of the basic Haplogroup, if so then how do you figure it out.

I am more confused the more I find regarding my ancestry.

Paul333, It's a real mystery to me too! ...Maybe there are test errors?

Paul333, It's a real mystery to me too! ...Maybe there are test errors?

I should get my 23 & Me ancestry results soon, and this might help me compare data, so fingers crossed.

This thread has been viewed 4004 times.

Back