R-U106 , subclade : R-S497

Philo07

Reaction score
Hello,

I am totally new to the topic “haplogroups” and I have a few question concerning the result of my DNA-Test. According to the test my haplogroup is R-U106 , subclade : R-S497. I could find information about R-U106 but does the subclade correspond to a specific population group, ethnic group or area? What do R-S263 and R-S264 between R-U106 and R-S497 in phylogenetic tree stand for? Is there somewhere a comprehensive list of subclades with their meaning?

Thank you for your help

Hi Philo,

I'm also underneath R-S497, otherwise known as Z306, via one of its subclades, DF96.

Someone else can probably give you a better explanation and unfortunately, the forum isn't allowing me to post links at the moment but I can at least offer you a basic summary of what I've learnt so far. From the research I've done, R-S497 can best be described as Proto-Celto-Germanic.

R-S497 splits into two major subclades, DF96 and DF98 with modern day populations found largely along the Rhine, the Benelux countries and the British Isles. DF96 tends to be found along the Middle and Lower Rhine, while DF98 is more common towards the High and Upper Rhine. DF98 also seems to have made its way into Scandinavia, where DF96 is somewhat absent.

U106 is generally considered to be the 'Germanic' subclade of R1b and for the most part, that's true. However, R-S497 was recently discovered in the remains of two Roman Britain burials in York, so it's possible it had reached Britain well before the Anglo-Saxon migration. That, or they were actually Roman auxiliaries brought over from continental Europe. We'd have to wait for more DNA samples to be sure.

DF98 is sometimes known as the 'King's Cluster' due to its prevalence in certain royal families descended from the House of Wettin, and also has a number of Norman subclades. Dr. Iain McDonald has done quite a bit of research into it if you're interested in learning more.

For the most part, however, it looks to be focused largely around the North Sea and what was once Western Germania, with possible links to regions associated with the Saxons, Frisii or Franks. You'd need to do some more in depth testing to be sure of which subclade you fall into.

I hope this helps. (y)

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 5457 times.

Back