Joey37

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Celto-Germanic
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1a-YP445
mtDNA haplogroup
J1c2b
I have noticed that some of the posters here have their ancestors' Y-DNA haplogroups listed, so I will give it a go. I know one of my great-great-grandfathers' haplogroups, from a cousin on 23andMe. Great-great-grandfather Gulley was R-L51, which is in the R1b tree; he was my paternal grandmother's maternal grandfather. And of course male-line great-great-grandfather John Sellers was R-YP445. Of my other six great-great-grandfathers, it is highly likely that 5 out of 6 are R1b (the sixth, Palermo-born great-great-grandfather Troncale, was probably E1b or J or G); three of them were English, one Irish, and one French-Canadian. The names are Robinson, Whitman, Colvin, Brady, and Robishaw.

Do you think he was E, J or G just because of his birthplace? I'd be very interested to learn his haplogroup. Are you planning to test your relatives?

The Robichaud ancestor, Étienne Robichaud is J-BY37662. Although there is a branch which is R-SRY2627, the progenitor is Joseph, son of Charles, son of Étienne, probably a NPE.

Interesting. My great-great-grandfather, Arthur Robishaw, was from Nova Scotia. He was a Francophone by origin who had his name anglicized along the way, possibly when emigrating to the United States as a young man.

Who was his wife? Do you have an approximate year of birth and/or wedding?

His wife was Ellen Ryan, born in Ireland in 1873. He was born about 1875, as he was 65 in the 1940 Census record. Their oldest child was born in 1895 or 1896, so the marriage was probably in 1894; they had twelve children. Good Irish Catholics didn't use birth control then; my great-grandmother Alice, one of the younger children, had ten kids, all daughters.

An Acadian Robichaud was listed in a DNA project as R-M269; given that my great-great-grandfather was from Nova Scotia, it is likely he was from the R1b branch.

girl names

His wife was Ellen Ryan, born in Ireland in 1873. He was born about 1875, as he was 65 in the 1940 Census record. Their oldest child was born in 1895 or 1896, so the marriage was probably in 1894; they had twelve children. Good Irish Catholics didn't use birth control then; my great-grandmother Alice, one of the younger children, had ten kids, all daughters.

Donnalee, Virginia, Shirley, Marilyn, Jacqueline, Denise, Lois, Carol, Claudia, Maureen

Alice was one of 7 sisters, my grandmother was one. Marguarite, Maude (my G), Kathleen, Rita, Alice, Elizabeth, Marion.Sons Edward, Edgar, Albert, Everett, John, William. Several were musicians. My Gmom lived in Warwick RI. They used to get together and play music in their garage. I remember Eddie by name. I recall a banjo and a Jews harp.

This thread has been viewed 6653 times.

Back