Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Guess Cousin's Ethnicity

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    03-08-18
    Posts
    30


    Country: Australia



    Guess Cousin's Ethnicity



    ????????????


  2. #2
    Regular Member magicalM's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-06-17
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J-m12
    MtDNA haplogroup
    ia1a1

    Ethnic group
    Hungarian Germanic Balkans
    Country: Hungary



    The photo's are not clear. Add a me photos with natural poses.

    Sent fra min Moto G (5) Plus via Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Regular Member magicalM's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-06-17
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J-m12
    MtDNA haplogroup
    ia1a1

    Ethnic group
    Hungarian Germanic Balkans
    Country: Hungary



    Quote Originally Posted by magicalM View Post
    The photo's are not clear. Add a me photos with natural poses.

    Sent fra min Moto G (5) Plus via Tapatalk
    Budapest?

    Sent fra min Moto G (5) Plus via Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Regular Member Joey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-06-18
    Location
    Coventry, Rhode Island
    Posts
    453

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-YP445
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c2b

    Ethnic group
    Celto-Germanic
    Country: USA - Rhode Island



    Italian or other Mediterranean.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    03-08-18
    Posts
    30


    Country: Australia



    Quote Originally Posted by magicalM View Post
    The photo's are not clear. Add a me photos with natural poses.

    Sent fra min Moto G (5) Plus via Tapatalk
    Here's a more natural picture of him

  6. #6
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,778

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Pictures that extremely close to someone's face causes distortion:

    The Rutgers-Stanford model, published in JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery, shows that an average selfie, taken about 12 inches from the face, makes the nasal base appear approximately 30 percent wider and the nasal tip 7 percent wider than if the photograph had been taken at 5 feet, a standard portrait distance that provides a more proportional representation of facial features.

    Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-03-distor...nasal.html#jCp

  7. #7
    Regular Member magicalM's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-06-17
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J-m12
    MtDNA haplogroup
    ia1a1

    Ethnic group
    Hungarian Germanic Balkans
    Country: Hungary



    1 members found this post helpful.
    It's still too close to your face. Take it from different angles and use natural light. From what I see he could be everything from Hungarian from Budapest to Italian north. Even Spanish or Iberian is possible.

    Sent fra min Moto G (5) Plus via Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    03-08-18
    Posts
    30


    Country: Australia



    1 members found this post helpful.
    I don't have any more pictures of him. He's British with 1/8 Polish, but there's some Sicilian in the results too which is strange. But here are his Geneplaza K29 Results

  9. #9
    Regular Member franci-s91's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-12-17
    Location
    Currently in Germany
    Posts
    17

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J1-ZS241
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b3

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: Italy



    1 members found this post helpful.
    i know one dutch guy that looks like him

  10. #10
    Regular Member Stuvanè's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-09-16
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    451

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1e

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: Italy



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben1234 View Post
    I don't have any more pictures of him. He's British with 1/8 Polish, but there's some Sicilian in the results too which is strange. But here are his Geneplaza K29 Results

    I'm not an expert at all (only one who likes to browse in these matters), but if I remember correctly, the author of this tool used combined samples of Sardinians and Sicilians for the "Sicilian" component, something very controversial in itself, given the genetic isolation of the Sardinians. Unless we have actual Sicilian origins, in my opinion it must therefore be considered an autosomal quota referable to archaic / neolithic influences from the central-western Mediterranean.
    I too have 15% of Sicilian without being so (I come from Ferrara, Rimini and Forlì - an Adriatic area - and my Greek-Balkan quota rises to almost 55%. Other northern Italians such as Lombards and Piedmonteses show a share of "Sicilian" around 10%).
    Your friend is more likely to have some generically italian or ancient southern European roots. Take these results with a pinch of salt :)

    Attachment 10384

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    03-08-18
    Posts
    30


    Country: Australia



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuvanè View Post
    I'm not an expert at all (only one who likes to browse in these matters), but if I remember correctly, the author of this tool used combined samples of Sardinians and Sicilians for the "Sicilian" component, something very controversial in itself, given the genetic isolation of the Sardinians. Unless we have actual Sicilian origins, in my opinion it must therefore be considered an autosomal quota referable to archaic / neolithic influences from the central-western Mediterranean.
    I too have 15% of Sicilian without being so (I come from Ferrara, Rimini and Forlì - an Adriatic area - and my Greek-Balkan quota rises to almost 55%. Other northern Italians such as Lombards and Piedmonteses show a share of "Sicilian" around 10%).
    Your friend is more likely to have some generically italian or ancient southern European roots. Take these results with a pinch of salt :)

    Attachment 10384
    Yes I agree. I personally considered the Sicilian to just be general Italian as there isn't a separate Italian category. Because there's Southwestern European (Iberia), Sicilian (Italy imo) and Greek-Albanian. These three cover the entire Mediterranean, with Sicilian being the closest thing to Italy. Would you say that it's very likely he has an Italian/Southern European great-parent? Because this is not common amongst British people to have that much 'Sicilian' from what I've seen.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Stuvanè's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-09-16
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    451

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1e

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: Italy



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben1234 View Post
    Yes I agree. I personally considered the Sicilian to just be general Italian as there isn't a separate Italian category. Because there's Southwestern European (Iberia), Sicilian (Italy imo) and Greek-Albanian. These three cover the entire Mediterranean, with Sicilian being the closest thing to Italy. Would you say that it's very likely he has an Italian/Southern European great-parent? Because this is not common amongst British people to have that much 'Sicilian' from what I've seen.
    Ben1234, there's also to say that the creator of the Geneplaza tools is Kurdish (if I remember correctly), very interested in the prehistory/protohistory and population of Central Asia, Middle East / Caucasus and Mediterranean, so all its calculators tend to capture better (and perhaps a little to overestimate) certain components from those regions.

    Returning to the topic: you should always have a sample of individuals sufficiently representative and I would not be surprised to find even in northern Europe a portion of Mediterranean component, even minority, as an ancient legacy of prehistoric populations, prior to the Celtic and Germanic invasions (some samples of the neolithic continental Europe - preceding the arrival of the Indo-European populations - show a sort of sardinian-like autosomal makeup).
    However, if another considerable number of British people (of the same area) carried out the above test without noticing this quota of "Sicilian" (or detecting it in really minimal tracks), I would personally begin to think that our friend has in his family tree an enough recent ancestor from southern Europe, Italian or close to it.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Mordred's Avatar
    Join Date
    16-07-11
    Posts
    76


    Country: Sweden



    1 members found this post helpful.
    That kind of look I think could be found in any European countries. I'm Swedish and it wouldn't be that rare amongst my friends.

    So, yeah it's a tough cookie to solve. Now I understand he's British so don't think that anyone in Britain would say anything else.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Princess davef's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-06-16
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,239


    Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben1234 View Post
    Yes I agree. I personally considered the Sicilian to just be general Italian as there isn't a separate Italian category. Because there's Southwestern European (Iberia), Sicilian (Italy imo) and Greek-Albanian. These three cover the entire Mediterranean, with Sicilian being the closest thing to Italy. Would you say that it's very likely he has an Italian/Southern European great-parent? Because this is not common amongst British people to have that much 'Sicilian' from what I've seen.
    It could be just the test counting Neolithic ancestry. If he scores that much Italian in other tests, it might be real
    mmmmmmmmm dooouuughhhnuuuutz

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    03-08-18
    Posts
    30


    Country: Australia



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    It could be just the test counting Neolithic ancestry. If he scores that much Italian in other tests, it might be real
    Here's his MyHeritage results (2 different versions) What do you think?




    I think the southern european may be from our grandma (would likely be half SE)


  16. #16
    Princess davef's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-06-16
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,239


    Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben1234 View Post
    Here's his MyHeritage results (2 different versions) What do you think?




    I think the southern european may be from our grandma (would likely be half SE)

    Wow, it might be real then.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    589


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    how old is he on those pictures? he somehow has all the facial features associated with mouth breathing. he probably breathed through his mouth as a child am i right? and he probably still does it too often, considering that his mouth is open and not closed on those photos. that this facial structure is often seen in europe might be because people there breath through their mouth too much and do not have their tongue in the natural position at the upper jaw while growing up. they also do not chew that much anymore and eat too soft stuff. this does not only influence the crowding of the teeth but also the growth of your jaw and cheek bones.
    also the muscles around his mouth are not defined so that's another evidence for that his tongue muscle and mouth muscles are too weak and untrained because he constantly has his mouth open. hard to guess the ethnicity here since you can find people with that look almost everywhere in modern times. if he had epicantics he could be asian.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    03-08-18
    Posts
    30


    Country: Australia



    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Wow, it might be real then.
    Do you think it's possible that the Balkan/Greek is our polish great-grandfather showing up??

  19. #19
    Princess davef's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-06-16
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,239


    Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben1234 View Post
    Do you think it's possible that the Balkan/Greek is our polish great-grandfather showing up??
    That's a huge maybe, but I doubt. Those Greek-Balkan scores match up with his Sicilian. Southern European ancestry seems like a safe bet to me, though I'm no expert.

    This, and Southern Greeks and Sicilians are very much like each other

  20. #20
    Elite member
    Join Date
    25-10-11
    Location
    Brittany
    Age
    72
    Posts
    4,789

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

    Ethnic group
    more celtic
    Country: France



    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    how old is he on those pictures? he somehow has all the facial features associated with mouth breathing. he probably breathed through his mouth as a child am i right? and he probably still does it too often, considering that his mouth is open and not closed on those photos. that this facial structure is often seen in europe might be because people there breath through their mouth too much and do not have their tongue in the natural position at the upper jaw while growing up. they also do not chew that much anymore and eat too soft stuff. this does not only influence the crowding of the teeth but also the growth of your jaw and cheek bones.
    also the muscles around his mouth are not defined so that's another evidence for that his tongue muscle and mouth muscles are too weak and untrained because he constantly has his mouth open. hard to guess the ethnicity here since you can find people with that look almost everywhere in modern times. if he had epicantics he could be asian.
    Some of your remarks are not without sense, but where do you see epicanthic folds in his eyes? And here we see clearly the pink lacrymal "receptors" of the eyes around the nose (sorry for the non scientific vocabulaty for this last detail).

  21. #21
    Regular Member magicalM's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-06-17
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J-m12
    MtDNA haplogroup
    ia1a1

    Ethnic group
    Hungarian Germanic Balkans
    Country: Hungary



    Quote Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
    That kind of look I think could be found in any European countries. I'm Swedish and it wouldn't be that rare amongst my friends.

    So, yeah it's a tough cookie to solve. Now I understand he's British so don't think that anyone in Britain would say anything else.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    I know what you know. I grew up in Norway and the med influence in Norwegian looks (not the avarage genetics) is underestimated look at Ylvis brothers for example

    Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Regular Member Mordred's Avatar
    Join Date
    16-07-11
    Posts
    76


    Country: Sweden



    Yeah you're right. Those brothers are like night and day. Except that Vegard's, I think, characteristics are definitely more Nordic than the guys on the photos.

    Also I personally believe that in the Viking age, vikings brought a lot of slaves from Celtic parts of the British islands which could even today show up in some parts in both the Norwegians and Danes.

    Sweden on the other side hade a great influx of, for example, Wallons and it's not uncommon that you see this in people here.

    To me it's all a big myth, in other European countries, that Swedes are ALL tall and blond. That probably what you would also hear about Norwegians. And the polar bear thing on the streets are really funny to listen at. I honestly do get questions about it when I go to the US.

    There are no polar bear on our streets and it was never the case that we are or have been ALL tall and blonde. It's true that most people are blonde but we do have a lot of variety as well within the original ethnicity.

    Quote Originally Posted by magicalM View Post
    I know what you know. I grew up in Norway and the med influence in Norwegian looks (not the avarage genetics) is underestimated look at Ylvis brothers for example

    Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    15-10-18
    Posts
    14

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L21
    MtDNA haplogroup
    L1c1c 'd

    Ethnic group
    North West European and West African
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    My guess is North Western and Southern European

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •