Guess Cousin's Ethnicity

Ben1234

Reaction score
????????????
4ckawb1.png

IG1lNFA.jpg

The photo's are not clear. Add a me photos with natural poses.

Sent fra min Moto G (5) Plus via Tapatalk

The photo's are not clear. Add a me photos with natural poses.

Budapest?

Pictures that extremely close to someone's face causes distortion:

The Rutgers-Stanford model, published in JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery, shows that an average selfie, taken about 12 inches from the face, makes the nasal base appear approximately 30 percent wider and the nasal tip 7 percent wider than if the photograph had been taken at 5 feet, a standard portrait distance that provides a more proportional representation of facial features.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-03-distortive-effects-short-distance-nasal.html#jCp

It's still too close to your face. Take it from different angles and use natural light. From what I see he could be everything from Hungarian from Budapest to Italian north. Even Spanish or Iberian is possible.

I don't have any more pictures of him. He's British with 1/8 Polish, but there's some Sicilian in the results too which is strange. But here are his Geneplaza K29 Results
ivhIRcK.jpg

I don't have any more pictures of him. He's British with 1/8 Polish, but there's some Sicilian in the results too which is strange. But here are his Geneplaza K29 Results
ivhIRcK.jpg

I'm not an expert at all (only one who likes to browse in these matters), but if I remember correctly, the author of this tool used combined samples of Sardinians and Sicilians for the "Sicilian" component, something very controversial in itself, given the genetic isolation of the Sardinians. Unless we have actual Sicilian origins, in my opinion it must therefore be considered an autosomal quota referable to archaic / neolithic influences from the central-western Mediterranean.
I too have 15% of Sicilian without being so (I come from Ferrara, Rimini and Forlì - an Adriatic area - and my Greek-Balkan quota rises to almost 55%. Other northern Italians such as Lombards and Piedmonteses show a share of "Sicilian" around 10%).
Your friend is more likely to have some generically italian or ancient southern European roots. Take these results with a pinch of salt :)

View attachment 10384

I'm not an expert at all (only one who likes to browse in these matters), but if I remember correctly, the author of this tool used combined samples of Sardinians and Sicilians for the "Sicilian" component, something very controversial in itself, given the genetic isolation of the Sardinians. Unless we have actual Sicilian origins, in my opinion it must therefore be considered an autosomal quota referable to archaic / neolithic influences from the central-western Mediterranean.
I too have 15% of Sicilian without being so (I come from Ferrara, Rimini and Forlì - an Adriatic area - and my Greek-Balkan quota rises to almost 55%. Other northern Italians such as Lombards and Piedmonteses show a share of "Sicilian" around 10%).
Your friend is more likely to have some generically italian or ancient southern European roots. Take these results with a pinch of salt :)

View attachment 10384
Yes I agree. I personally considered the Sicilian to just be general Italian as there isn't a separate Italian category. Because there's Southwestern European (Iberia), Sicilian (Italy imo) and Greek-Albanian. These three cover the entire Mediterranean, with Sicilian being the closest thing to Italy. Would you say that it's very likely he has an Italian/Southern European great-parent? Because this is not common amongst British people to have that much 'Sicilian' from what I've seen.

Yes I agree. I personally considered the Sicilian to just be general Italian as there isn't a separate Italian category. Because there's Southwestern European (Iberia), Sicilian (Italy imo) and Greek-Albanian. These three cover the entire Mediterranean, with Sicilian being the closest thing to Italy. Would you say that it's very likely he has an Italian/Southern European great-parent? Because this is not common amongst British people to have that much 'Sicilian' from what I've seen.

Ben1234, there's also to say that the creator of the Geneplaza tools is Kurdish (if I remember correctly), very interested in the prehistory/protohistory and population of Central Asia, Middle East / Caucasus and Mediterranean, so all its calculators tend to capture better (and perhaps a little to overestimate) certain components from those regions.

Returning to the topic: you should always have a sample of individuals sufficiently representative and I would not be surprised to find even in northern Europe a portion of Mediterranean component, even minority, as an ancient legacy of prehistoric populations, prior to the Celtic and Germanic invasions (some samples of the neolithic continental Europe - preceding the arrival of the Indo-European populations - show a sort of sardinian-like autosomal makeup).
However, if another considerable number of British people (of the same area) carried out the above test without noticing this quota of "Sicilian" (or detecting it in really minimal tracks), I would personally begin to think that our friend has in his family tree an enough recent ancestor from southern Europe, Italian or close to it.

That kind of look I think could be found in any European countries. I'm Swedish and it wouldn't be that rare amongst my friends.

So, yeah it's a tough cookie to solve. Now I understand he's British so don't think that anyone in Britain would say anything else.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It could be just the test counting Neolithic ancestry. If he scores that much Italian in other tests, it might be real

It could be just the test counting Neolithic ancestry. If he scores that much Italian in other tests, it might be real

Here's his MyHeritage results (2 different versions) What do you think?

LbxymeD.png

o7wXfzN.png

I think the southern european may be from our grandma (would likely be half SE)
5vYS6Uy.jpg

WjSOpAZ.jpg

Here's his MyHeritage results (2 different versions) What do you think?

LbxymeD.png

o7wXfzN.png

I think the southern european may be from our grandma (would likely be half SE)
5vYS6Uy.jpg

WjSOpAZ.jpg
Wow, it might be real then.

how old is he on those pictures? he somehow has all the facial features associated with mouth breathing. he probably breathed through his mouth as a child am i right? and he probably still does it too often, considering that his mouth is open and not closed on those photos. that this facial structure is often seen in europe might be because people there breath through their mouth too much and do not have their tongue in the natural position at the upper jaw while growing up. they also do not chew that much anymore and eat too soft stuff. this does not only influence the crowding of the teeth but also the growth of your jaw and cheek bones.
also the muscles around his mouth are not defined so that's another evidence for that his tongue muscle and mouth muscles are too weak and untrained because he constantly has his mouth open. hard to guess the ethnicity here since you can find people with that look almost everywhere in modern times. if he had epicantics he could be asian.

Do you think it's possible that the Balkan/Greek is our polish great-grandfather showing up??
That's a huge maybe, but I doubt. Those Greek-Balkan scores match up with his Sicilian. Southern European ancestry seems like a safe bet to me, though I'm no expert.

This, and Southern Greeks and Sicilians are very much like each other

how old is he on those pictures? he somehow has all the facial features associated with mouth breathing. he probably breathed through his mouth as a child am i right? and he probably still does it too often, considering that his mouth is open and not closed on those photos. that this facial structure is often seen in europe might be because people there breath through their mouth too much and do not have their tongue in the natural position at the upper jaw while growing up. they also do not chew that much anymore and eat too soft stuff. this does not only influence the crowding of the teeth but also the growth of your jaw and cheek bones.
also the muscles around his mouth are not defined so that's another evidence for that his tongue muscle and mouth muscles are too weak and untrained because he constantly has his mouth open. hard to guess the ethnicity here since you can find people with that look almost everywhere in modern times. if he had epicantics he could be asian.

Some of your remarks are not without sense, but where do you see epicanthic folds in his eyes? And here we see clearly the pink lacrymal "receptors" of the eyes around the nose (sorry for the non scientific vocabulaty for this last detail).

This thread has been viewed 11814 times.

Back