Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 members found this post helpful.

Favorite chicken recipes

I do this as someone who really isn't crazy about chicken, particularly the chicken cooked all around me, other than Southern Fried Chicken, which while good is probably bad for me. The chicken is, first of all, only grain fed, and is pumped full not only of antibiotics, but hormones to grow huge breasts on the bird. That breast me is consequently tasteless, in my opinion, prone to get extremely dry, and has a very unappealing texture. So, I tend to either try to find organic, small, free range chickens and cut those up, or I use only chicken thighs.

First on my list is this "Tuscan chicken" by Gennaro Contaldo. Every person to whom I've fed it asks for the recipe. It's absolutely delicious, has a prep time of about ten minutes, although the total time is probably forty minutes all together, and needs very few ingredients. It's become an absolute staple dish for me: I probably make it, or a version of it at least once a week.

As soon as I get home, I set some salted water to boil for rice or small potatoes and a separate pot for beans or cauliflower or broccoli florets (they sell them here already de-stemmed or cut up) and go change. I then put in the rice or potatoes and the green beans, pour myself a glass of white wine, and relax while everything finishes cooking. It takes a shorter amount of time to do the actual cooking as to go to the take out place. Plus, you can have your glass of wine sooner. :) You can also lower the carbs if you choose and just have it over a single piece of toasted Italian bread, and maybe accompanied by a simple green salad.

Being me, I "corrected" a few things. :) This is how I currently cook it. Use a bigger pot or do it in batches and then return to the pot: if it's too crowded the chicken doesn't sear, it steams. Take out the seeds of the peperoncino if you like it more mild. Do NOT pour the white wine over the chicken itself, which should be skin up then, if you like the skin crisp. Likewise, when plating don't pour the juice over the top, but around the side. I remove the skin before eating just because I like chicken skin only if it's REALLY crisp, as in deep fried, so it doesn't apply to me.

If you want to take a moment or two more, steep a few dried porcini mushrooms in water to cover first thing, and when soft chop them and add them in.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 337
    Overall activity: 22.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pat-U106-H-e1a4b2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1b

Ethnic group
    a true mutt

That sounds wonderful! I make an oven "fried" chicken. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour enough olive oil into the bottom of the dish (I use a glass oblong cake pan). Mix well together 1 cup of flour, 1/4 cup parsley, 1 Tablespoon of Thyme, 1/4 teaspoon garlic, and 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper.

Dredge the skinless boneless chicken first in the oil and then in the flour mixture to coat. Place coated chicken back in dish. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, remove the foil and bake until brown, about 15 more minutes.

When the chicken is done, I use the left over olive oil from the pan, and a little extra fresh if I need it, and the left over flour to make a milk gravy for mashed potatoes. The gravy always turned a little bit green from the parsley, so my boys always called it green gravy.

You have time for a couple glasses of wine in there between turning on the oven and serving!!

Princess Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteranThree Friends
    Level
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 555
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

chicken nuggets and honey
    mmmmmmmmm dooouuughhhnuuuutz

Princess Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

Does anyone else enjoy the skin when it's soft and greasy? It usually has the best taste and it "feels" great to eat as well. I enjoy all sorts of skins, even pork skin. I just like the texture and taste.

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheal View Post
    That sounds wonderful! I make an oven "fried" chicken. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour enough olive oil into the bottom of the dish (I use a glass oblong cake pan). Mix well together 1 cup of flour, 1/4 cup parsley, 1 Tablespoon of Thyme, 1/4 teaspoon garlic, and 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper.

Dredge the skinless boneless chicken first in the oil and then in the flour mixture to coat. Place coated chicken back in dish. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, remove the foil and bake until brown, about 15 more minutes.

When the chicken is done, I use the left over olive oil from the pan, and a little extra fresh if I need it, and the left over flour to make a milk gravy for mashed potatoes. The gravy always turned a little bit green from the parsley, so my boys always called it green gravy.

You have time for a couple glasses of wine in there between turning on the oven and serving!!
    Sounds ideal when you have friends over for a casual meal: you can actually enjoy their company. :) I'm going to try it.

Chicken and potatoes in the oven (and pork and potatoes and lamb and potatoes as well) is a staple of Italian cooking. It's also one pot, barely twenty minutes of prep. That's why I don't understand why people say they have no time to cook. I used to make it at least once a week when my children were home all the time. Sometimes they asked for it more often. There are more complicated versions with white wine and butter, or you can add diced Italian sausage and cubed onion.

I usually direct people to this video because you can see the ratio of the potatoes to the amount of chicken, the size of the potato cubes and chicken pieces etc. so they cook in the same amount of time. It's very simple, but each step is essential. I don't put cherry tomatoes, but I do sometimes add some sage to the rosemary, and because my family likes garlic, I throw in maybe four garlic cloves for something that size, jacket and all so it doesn't burn, and you can smear it on bread when you remove the peel at the end. It's totally self explanatory. It cooks at 450 degrees for 50 minutes.

While it's cooking you could saute some spinach or other greens in oil and garlic, or just make a nice salad. Oh, and have a glass of wine, of course. :)

If you didn't use a glass baking dish, you could deglaze the pan with white wine and lemon juice and maybe some chicken stock to make a nice sauce for the chicken if you want it with "juice" as my children used to say..

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,222
    Overall activity: 42.0%

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Does anyone else enjoy the skin when it's soft and greasy? It usually has the best taste and it "feels" great to eat as well. I enjoy all sorts of skins, even pork skin. I just like the texture and taste.
    I used to enjoy the skin when I was young.
    Nowadays the chickens are to fat.
    My dog likes it though.

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 3.0%

I marinate chunks of chicken breast in a mix of lemon juice, salt, pepper, mustard, garlic, oil and herbs, for 20 minutes or so, then bake in the oven until lightly browned, this goes well with green salads (and white wine, of course). The marinade quantity is not big, just half a lemon per two breasts, enough to coat them not flood them.

Princess Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by bicicleur View Post
    I used to enjoy the skin when I was young.
    Nowadays the chickens are to fat.
    My dog likes it though.
    I love fat, cheeses, rice and pasta. I can't stand lean meats, grizzle is almost a requirement for me.
    Them again my teeth tend to hurt when I eat meat products on the leaner side, so that could be part of why I don't enjoy them.

Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Overall activity: 28.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1e

Ethnic group
    Italian

I love it very much after it has been marinated with a little oil / lemon and aromas (garlic, rosemary, thyme, parsley ...) and roasted split in the middle on the embers of wood.

But I do not always have the embers available, so I often cook it like that (it can be considered a variant of the recipe by Gennaro Contaldo proposed by Angela, but without using the thighs and the vegetables).
    Take a chicken breast, wash it under running water and cut it into small portions, clean it from fat and any nerve, then dry it with a paper towel, salt it and put it in the wheat flour.
    Meanwhile, prepare a little boiling stock (meat or nut, as you prefer) in a separate saucepan.

Melt a knob of butter with a drop of olive oil in a pan where you have also put a crushed garlic clove and a sprig of rosemary. As soon as the oil and butter sizzle, place the chicken nuggets in a pan and brown them all over for a few minutes, then pour a small glass of white wine and let it evaporate over high heat.
    At that point, pour the already prepared hot broth into the pan, covering the chicken pieces completely and leave to simmer for 20-30 minutes, taking care to stir them occasionally to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pan (if necessary add a further little stock if they become too dry).
    Towards the end of cooking (or when cooked), grind a little black pepper on the nuggets and serve them very hot adding to taste the creamy sauce formed in the pan.

Maybe it's not very dietary but who cares, you only live once ;)

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Stuvanè View Post
    I love it very much after it has been marinated with a little oil / lemon and aromas (garlic, rosemary, thyme, parsley ...) and roasted split in the middle on the embers of wood.

But I do not always have the embers available, so I often cook it like that (it can be considered a variant of the recipe by Gennaro Contaldo proposed by Angela, but without using the thighs and the vegetables).
    Take a chicken breast, wash it under running water and cut it into small portions, clean it from fat and any nerve, then dry it with a paper towel, salt it and put it in the wheat flour.
    Meanwhile, prepare a little boiling stock (meat or nut, as you prefer) in a separate saucepan.

Melt a knob of butter with a drop of olive oil in a pan where you have also put a crushed garlic clove and a sprig of rosemary. As soon as the oil and butter sizzle, place the chicken nuggets in a pan and brown them all over for a few minutes, then pour a small glass of white wine and let it evaporate over high heat.
    At that point, pour the already prepared hot broth into the pan, covering the chicken pieces completely and leave to simmer for 20-30 minutes, taking care to stir them occasionally to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pan (if necessary add a further little stock if they become too dry).
    Towards the end of cooking (or when cooked), grind a little black pepper on the nuggets and serve them very hot adding to taste the creamy sauce formed in the pan.

Maybe it's not very dietary but who cares, you only live once ;)

Classic Italian technique and Northern Italian at that (mix of butter and olive oil). :)

A lot of Italian restaurants here sell what they call pollo alla cacciatora. I never order it because it's usually drowning in tomato sauce and it has lots of red peppers in it, which I'm not crazy about. (Yes, I know it's heresy to southern Italians and Italian Americans but there it is. :))

If there are 72 million Italians, there are probably 72 million ways of doing it. :) I do it the way my mother did it. It's a lot like your method.

I split or buy a split chicken. I cut each half breast again into two or even three pieces if necessary depending on size. I pound the thighs and drumsticks to the same thickness, like Gennaro does, to quicken the cooking time and try to get it all to cook at about the same time. The breast will always cook before them making the breast dry even, occasionally, with all this care, so sometimes I just use thighs and drumsticks. I then salt and pepper them generously. In a Dutch oven or stew pot I melt olive oil and butter. The oil keeps the butter from burning. Then I add 2 or 3 whole garlic cloves. As soon as they're translucent, I put in the chicken pieces skin side down. Brown for maybe 4-5 minutes each side? Don't let the garlic burn. Remove it if necessary because if the garlic burns you may as well just throw everything out. After you turn it put abundant sprigs of fresh rosemary or some dry rosemary and 1 or 2 sage leaves or a bit of dried sage. When both sides are brown, add half to 2/3 cups dry white wine and let evaporate, and then an equal amount of simmering chicken stock. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add more hot stock as needed. If you like, after both sides are brown remove the chicken and garlic, add some chopped mushrooms, fresh or reconstituted dried porcini and other wild mushrooms, salt, pepper, and perhaps another garlic clove and some lemon juice. Then return the chicken and continue. Mi raccomando, don't crowd the pot when searing or it steams; do it in batches if necessary. I remove the skin before eating, but I think it's necessary to cook with it to keep the meat flavorful and moist.

Every market around me sells whole roasted chicken, so I rarely make it. I personally just eat the dark meat and if someone else doesn't eat the breast, I make chicken salad with it.

I do eat every bit of a Cornish game hen cooked according to a recipe by Julia Child. I worked my way through her cook book once when I was very young and ambitious (although I wasn't smart enough to write a book about it.) :) I don't know what you'd call a Cornish game hen in Europe. It's a specific breed of chicken, bred for meat, so obviously not "game", despite the name, poor layers, slaughtered young so it's under 2 pounds. Maybe a "poussin"?

Anyway, she called it a "perfect little hen", and she's right. You first cut out the backbone and flatten. Brush it with olive oil and melted butter and generously season with salt and pepper. Put it skin side down in a pan and broil it until it's golden brown (not really close to the flame). Take it out, baste it, brush it with some crushed garlic (just a little), a squeeze of lemon and some dried thyme. Turn it over, do the same, and broil it skin side up until browned. It usually takes about 20 minutes but it's going to vary. (I think this is partly her way of not having to sear it on the stove and get splattering grease all over the place. :)) Finish it in a 350 degree F oven for about fifteen-20 minutes or less. Check the legs; as soon as they're done, take it out.

Princess Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

I don't get the hype surrounding white meat, it's tasteless and boring. It's like eating bark

Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 0%

I like the chicken breast because it has a lot of meat.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Jamaican chicken (not jerk) courtesy of my Jamaican friend. She's a wonderful cook and I've learned from her to step out of my comfort zone of Mediterranean food sometimes.

I normally would never put sugar in meat, but trust me: the end product is delicious.

Cut up a whole chicken into very small pieces. Pull off skin.

Put chicken into a bowl of:

1 chopped onion
    2 chopped tomatoes
    1 tables. black pepper
    3 tsps poultry seasoning (THYME, SAGE, MARJORAM, ROSEMARY, BLACK PEPPER, AND NUTMEG. You can make your own. Recipes are on the internet)
    1 extra tsp thyme
    1/2 tsp garlic powder-you can punch this up a bit for garlic lovers, but I like it like this.

Marinate for at least 2-3 hours.

Heat a pot with two tablespoons oil, or you can even do it in water. Brown the chicken pieces on all sides. Add the marinating liquid and vegetables and 1 1/2 cup water.

Cook at medium heat for 30-40 minutes. About a minute or two before it's done, add 1 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon ketchup, and 1 tablespoon ketchup. (For Europeans you could use tomato paste.)

It comes out with a dark brown sauce. Great over rice or mashed potatoes or just toasted bread.

1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Not a recipe, but chicken shawarma is the best

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

I've been making chicken breasts like this probably since I started cooking and now I just stumbled on this Greek woman who posts on youtube, and shows you how to do it.

It's absolutely delicious.

If you don't have a seasoned cast iron skillet (although you should :)), any oven proof skillet will do.

Three Friends1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Level
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 99.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

The recipe is not Lemon Chicken, she put too much lemon on, Instead, she should have served the chicken with lemon slices (spicchi di limone), cos people's taste is different. imho lol :)

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    The recipe is not Lemon Chicken, she put too much lemon on, Instead, she should have served the chicken with lemon slices (spicchi di limone), cos people's taste is different. imho lol :)
    I agree that she overdoes the lemon, although I do often add a bit of the juice; I think it brightens a lot of recipes, especially when there's a lot of oil or butter.

I just ALWAYS seem to suggest so many changes to the recipes and youtube videos I post that I thought I'd give it a rest for one difference. :)

Princess Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

I usually eat rotisserie style chicken. It's great bc it's essentially a ready made chicken straight from the oven! I normally eat the thighs, drumbsticks, wings and skin if it's glazed or seasoned with various herbs and spices. As for the white meat, I tend to scramble to find tender strips of white meat and throw out the rest of the chicken carcass in the garbage bc eating dry and rough meat is a chore to say the least

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I usually eat rotisserie style chicken. It's great bc it's essentially a ready made chicken straight from the oven! I normally eat the thighs, drumbsticks, wings and skin if it's glazed or seasoned with various herbs and spices. As for the white meat, I tend to scramble to find tender strips of white meat and throw out the rest of the chicken carcass in the garbage bc eating dry and rough meat is a chore to say the least
    If nothing else you can cut the breast meat into small chunks, add mayonnaise, diced celery, whatever herbs you fancy and make chicken salad for sandwiches. You can find recipes all over the internet. You can also just slice it very fine, put it between two slices of good bread, mayonnaise on both sides, add some lettuce and sliced heirloom tomatoes. Or shred it and put it into chicken soup for more protein.

It's better than wasting it.

I'm not fond of dry breast meat either.

To be honest, my dog gets a lot of it. :)

100 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 4.0%

Hi Everyone!
    I know best Chicken breast in the bone recipe.
    Check it here - https://club.cooking/recipe/bone-in-chicken-breast/
    My family really love it!))
    Bone-In-Chicken-Breast-02-vertical-768x929.jpg

Tagger Second ClassThree Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 337
    Overall activity: 22.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pat-U106-H-e1a4b2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1b

Ethnic group
    a true mutt

One of the things you can do for breast meat is use an injector and inject seasoned butter or olive oil prior to baking. It will help keep it moist and you can use a multitude of seasonings for flavor.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Wheal View Post
    One of the things you can do for breast meat is use an injector and inject seasoned butter or olive oil prior to baking. It will help keep it moist and you can use a multitude of seasonings for flavor.
    Great Idea!

100 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 4.0%

I love chicken!)

Level
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 0%

i like eating chicken noudle soups