I-M223 in Romania

jacharcus

Reaction score
Hello!
I have a question regarding the spread of I-M223 in Romania and the sorrounding regions, specifically what migrations might it come from. I am Romanian from Transylvania, and I have I-M223 haplogroup. Unfortunately, I did not take an accurate enough test to find out more information(it was just 23andme) so I don't have much detail beyond this, but I am curious if anyone else from around here had and the same result and maybe took a test which tests for more SNPs. I've been thinking it might come from Germanic migrations during the late antiquity/early middle ages or maybe Scandinavians latter on

Hello!
I have a question regarding the spread of I-M223 in Romania and the sorrounding regions, specifically what migrations might it come from. I am Romanian from Transylvania, and I have I-M223 haplogroup. Unfortunately, I did not take an accurate enough test to find out more information(it was just 23andme) so I don't have much detail beyond this, but I am curious if anyone else from around here had and the same result and maybe took a test which tests for more SNPs. I've been thinking it might come from Germanic migrations during the late antiquity/early middle ages or maybe Scandinavians latter on

Hi there!

I'm not sure too, but I think it definitely might be related to Germanic migrations. I'm I-M223 too, though I'm Brazilian, with Portuguese paternal ancestry (by the way, I have a match in Romania through Family Tree!), and I've been reading about it. The Goths, for example, did migrate to Eastern Europe and spent some time there, so much that they also (probably) absorbed some Slavic and/or Balcanic haplogroups as well. So they could also have left some of theirs.
However, I do see some people from Romania (as well as Bulgaria and some Slavic countries) in the I-M223 project on FT, and I noticed that most of them seem to be part of the same branch. So it's still really hard to say what's 'true', I guess.

I2-M223 is a neolithic haplogroup nearly 20.000 years ago. It has earliest been found in spain, but is spread over whole Europe. There exist myriads of subhaplogroups to M223 and You need to test at a proper company to dig deeper

Hello!

I-M223 is quite old, so it might come from an earlier wave than the Saxons. If it's from them then that might be recent enough to be reflected autosomally in your 23andme ancestry composition.
What does it look like for you?

I am not Romanian (Greek with father from Thessaly and mother from Central Greece), however:

1) My Y-DNA haplogroup is I-M223 (subclade: I-L701)

2) As per Living DNA my admixture has a 37% East Balkan component (2nd only to Aegean: 41,7%), which includes Romania

3) Eurogenes K13 gives Romanian as the 3rd closest single population:

Single Population Sharing:

#Population (source)Distance
1Greek_Thessaly5.45
2Bulgarian7.08
3Romanian9.63
4Central_Greek10.44
5Italian_Abruzzo11.13

For sure, I-M223 means Doggerland ancestry on the paternal line. That's all it can tell you. You need you do some more work, by way of a FTDNA or Geno 2.0 or Full Genomes test, in order to drill down your Y-DNA to a finer level of detail so as trace your parental ancestors migratory path (I need to do that too)

This thread has been viewed 11605 times.

Back