Reaction score
Ethnic group
Sicilian
Y-DNA haplogroup
E-V13 --> E-L17
mtDNA haplogroup
H4a
Hello Everyone!

I just took a test through 23 and me that told me I am E-L17, a subclade of E-V13. E-V13, according to 23 and me:

"[FONT=&quot]Your haplogroup migrated in large numbers from the Balkans into Europe about 4,500 years ago, triggered by the beginning of the Balkan Bronze Age. During this migration, members of your haplogroup mainly followed rivers connecting the southern Balkans to northern-central Europe. Technological leaps often cause lineages to grow dramatically in numbers and in geographic range. The development of Bronze technology may have given men in your lineage a competitive advantage over other men, causing your lineage to proliferate and become widespread"
[/FONT]

Other than this, I do not know much about these haplogroups. My paternal lineage comes from Sicily, and I know the ancient Greeks colonized Sicily at one point, does anyone know if my paternal line goes back to Greece and if my haplogroup is related to any type of greek peoples? If they are not Greek who were they?

I would appreciate any help as I plan to share what I have discovered with the rest of my family at our next reunion.

[FONT=&quot]Thank you

[/FONT]

My Nana's paternal line comes from Sicily, that's where her father's parents were born, although he was born in Colorado and she in California. I am interested in seeing how 23 and Me dealt with a person with more Sicilian ancestry than me; the part that comes from my great-grandfather Joseph Troncale, whom I was named after, is 2% Balkan, 2% Italian, 1.6% Iberian, and 5.1% Broadly Southern European, which adds up to 10.7%, slightly less than the 12.5% average one would expect to get from a great-grandparent if the genes divided evenly.

Hello Everyone!

I just took a test through 23 and me that told me I am E-L17, a subclade of E-V13. E-V13, according to 23 and me:

"Your haplogroup migrated in large numbers from the Balkans into Europe about 4,500 years ago, triggered by the beginning of the Balkan Bronze Age. During this migration, members of your haplogroup mainly followed rivers connecting the southern Balkans to northern-central Europe. Technological leaps often cause lineages to grow dramatically in numbers and in geographic range. The development of Bronze technology may have given men in your lineage a competitive advantage over other men, causing your lineage to proliferate and become widespread"

Other than this, I do not know much about these haplogroups. My paternal lineage comes from Sicily, and I know the ancient Greeks colonized Sicily at one point, does anyone know if my paternal line goes back to Greece and if my haplogroup is related to any type of greek peoples? If they are not Greek who were they?

I would appreciate any help as I plan to share what I have discovered with the rest of my family at our next reunion.

Thank you

E-L17 is essentially a West European, most likely North West European, subclade.
I would predict your paternal ancestry to be Norman.

This thread has been viewed 5095 times.

Back