Cheddar man

Marek

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
J-CTS5368
mtDNA haplogroup
U5b2b
What is Y-chromosome haplogroup of cheddar man? Mt haplogroup is published and I have not found info on Y-chromosome.

I think it should be I2 or C, yet I have missed his mtdna paper so is it U?

His MtDNA was U5, but I don't think his Y haplogroup has ever been identified (or at least it has not been publicized).

Ancient mtDNA is easier to obtain. It's much more difficult to get a good coverage autosomal sample from ancient remains.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Eupedia Forum mobile app

The Mesolithic Spanish Hunter - Gatherer LaBrana Man carried Y-DNA C6. Its very likely that Cheddar Man also carried this Haplogroup. Haplogroup C originated in South Asia. Their MTDNA was U5. MTDNA U is a Middle Eastern Haplogroup in origin.

The Mesolithic Spanish Hunter - Gatherer LaBrana Man carried Y-DNA C6. Its very likely that Cheddar Man also carried this Haplogroup. Haplogroup C originated in South Asia. Their MTDNA was U5. MTDNA U is a Middle Eastern Haplogroup in origin.

C6 is not an accurate way to describe Y-DNA. Chances are you are quoting very old ISOGG nomenclature. Use SNPs such as C-V20.

https://yfull.com/tree/C/
C-V20.jpg

What is Y-chromosome haplogroup of cheddar man? Mt haplogroup is published and I have not found info on Y-chromosome.

I have DNA matches with both him and Chewing gum girl Lola from Syltholm Denmark :cool-v:

I proudly share partly same Y-DNA (I) and mtDna (U5b) with mr. Cheddar :giggle:

The information is from MyTrueAncestry.

Cheddar Man Somerset England

Cheddar (7150 BC)

mtDNA Haplogroup: U5b1

Y-DNA Haplogroup: I2a2

Genetic Distance: 19.415
Sample Match! 97% closer than others users

I have DNA matches with both him and Chewing gum girl Lola from Syltholm Denmark :cool-v:

Cheddar (7150 BC)

You think a distance of 19 is a close match????

You think a distance of 19 is a close match????

Well, I did not say so. But the Big Thing for me is to know, that we share "the same" ancient parents :heart:

MTA says: Genetic distance measures how close you are to a given sample.
  • 10 means this is your ancient ancestry
  • 20 means this is part of your ancestral link
  • 30 means possibly related to your ancestry

Cheddar (7150 BC)

Yes, Cheddar Man's mitochondrial haplogroup was clarified by the recent Natural History Museum research as U5b1, it was previously thought to be U5a, which may have been from contamination or out dated testing methodology, if someone could update the U5 page on Eupedia that would be great.

It seems every mt haplo is Middle eastern!!! a well known path for migrations from South into Europe (not by force the only one). But it is no more a typical Middle East haplo, if it has ever been, it depends on subclades. Subclades are of weight here, to "qualifiy" them. Everyone has its story.

It seems every mt haplo is Middle eastern!!! a well known path for migrations from South into Europe (not by force the only one). But it is no more a typical Middle East haplo, if it has ever been, it depends on subclades. Subclades are of weight here, to "qualifiy" them. Everyone has its story.

cheddar is only 10000yo IIRC

What about...human skull over 45,000 years old from Zlatý kůň in Czechia

My guess has always been that Eurasians are the oldest humans

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-021-01443-x

https://vimeo.com/525618213

Dual ancestries and ecologies of the Late Glacial Palaeolithic in Britain

Abstract
Genetic investigations of Upper Palaeolithic Europe have revealed a complex and transformative history of human population movements and ancestries, with evidence of several instances of genetic change across the European continent in the period following the Last Glacial Maximum (LGM). Concurrent with these genetic shifts, the post-LGM period is characterized by a series of significant climatic changes, population expansions and cultural diversification. Britain lies at the extreme northwest corner of post-LGM expansion and its earliest Late Glacial human occupation remains unclear. Here we present genetic data from Palaeolithic human individuals in the United Kingdom and the oldest human DNA thus far obtained from Britain or Ireland. We determine that a Late Upper Palaeolithic individual from Gough's Cave probably traced all its ancestry to Magdalenian-associated individuals closely related to those from sites such as El Mirón Cave, Spain, and Troisième Caverne in Goyet, Belgium. However, an individual from Kendrick's Cave shows no evidence of having ancestry related to the Gough’s Cave individual. Instead, the Kendrick’s Cave individual traces its ancestry to groups who expanded across Europe during the Late Glacial and are represented at sites such as Villabruna, Italy. Furthermore, the individuals differ not only in their genetic ancestry profiles but also in their mortuary practices and their diets and ecologies, as evidenced through stable isotope analyses. This finding mirrors patterns of dual genetic ancestry and admixture previously detected in Iberia but may suggest a more drastic genetic turnover in northwestern Europe than in the southwest.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-022-01883-z

I think the depictions of Cheddar man being as dark as he isnt far from the truth. These Western Hunter Gatherers looked more like Southern Indians than how La Bruna man is depicted.

Australian Aboriginals main paternal is C aswell.

Are there any modern population matches for these WHG's ??

There is no modern pop matching WHG's! WHG is only a variable part of Western and Central Europeans.
We don't know exactly what skin hue had Cheddar Man. But it was apparently between middle and dark hues, and not between middle and lighthones, at the light of ancient DNA.

This thread has been viewed 12322 times.

Back