Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Polish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-L617
mtDNA haplogroup
W6a
Person A is 20% West German, 20% Irish, 10% French Basque and 50% East Ukrainian.

Person B is 30% Northern Germanic, 20% Lithuanian and 50% East Ukrainian (Belgorod).

These are their admixture results in Eurogenes K15:

emKudnQ.png

Person A for sure no? People see Germanics as more Western than Eastern, even if the original Germanics would have had much more East Euro to Med.

Person A for sure no? People see Germanics as more Western than Eastern, even if the original Germanics would have had much more East Euro to Med.

Why Person A is more Germanic if Person B has 30% of Germanic ancestry and A only 20%?

The Irish are Celtic and the Basques are neither Celtic nor Germanic.

Also the Irish look "dark":

Or "ruddy" like this one:

I think you can find more of Germanic-looking people in Lithuania.

IMO Gytis Reiteris or Liudvikas Vilimas pass better as Germanic than types like Colin Farrell.

In terms of Germanic input:
30% Northern Germanic > 20% West German + 10% French Basque
20% Latvian < 20% Irish
50% Ukrainian = 50% Ukrainian
Idk. Person B I would assume.

"Germanic" after 2000 years is a catch-all term. West Germanic people were not exactly the same as North Germanic people any longer when they spread so much in the Late Antiquity/Middle Ages. Is this question about who probably has a genetic makeup more closely related to those of Proto-Germanic people who lived 2000-2500 years ago? In that case I think Person B is a bit closer to that mark. Is the question about "Germanic" as in "closely related to what most modern Germanic-speaking people, i.e. Germans and Britons, are like in genetic terms"? In that case I think Person A is a better choice, because the bulk of the Germanic-speaking population in Europe nowadays is basically a mixture of earlier Germanic + Celtic people and have had a higher contribution from more Mediterranean & Western European ancient populations.

Person A is percentage wise, but person A is also more west asian, 2x more west med, almost 2x more east med too

West Germanic people were not exactly the same as North Germanic people any longer when they spread so much in the Late Antiquity/Middle Ages.

I don't think that recent findings in ancient DNA studies support this claim.

Most of Migration Period Germanic samples so far are genetically identical as modern North Germanics.

This includes Early Medieval Bajuwarii (the ones with non-deformed skulls).

I don't think that recent findings in ancient DNA studies support this claim.

Most of Migration Period Germanic samples so far are genetically identical as modern North Germanics.

This includes Early Medieval Bajuwarii (the ones with non-deformed skulls).

I said West Germanic people when they spread so much in the Late Antiquity/Middle Ages, but I really meant, more specifically, the consolidation of West Germanic peoples after they finally settled down as the Migration Period abated significantly roughly in the 7th-8th century AD. Even during the Migration Period, when Germanic was still expanding and absorbing other people who were formerly Celtic, Romanized or whatever, even the early samples seem to indicate a gradual shift toward a more Central European and West/Northwest European makeup from their North European origins. They're still pretty close in part because the mixing had just begun a few generations earlier and in part - a very relevant one, let us not forget - because the peoples they absorbed in Northwest and Central Europe were most certainly already very closely related to the North European Germanic tribes due to earlier (and strong) genetic connections. Those Bavarian samples were already more similar to the present-day North-Central Europeans, like Germans and Dutch, than to modern North Europeans (and some of them, the low status ones - but who nonetheless had become part of that nascent Bavarian society - were pretty Southeastern European-like), which suggests there was not a total homogeneity even in that early, Migration Period population (in the PCA blow the orange circles are ancient Anglo-Saxons, the blue, green and red males and females are non-elongated, intermediate and elongated Bavarians respectively, most of them clearly but only slightly shifted away from the average North European towards Central, Northwest or Eastern/Southeastern Europe)

bavarii-pca.jpg
F4.large.jpg

This thread has been viewed 4885 times.

Back