News about Rurikid Y-DNA: Ingegerd cheated on Yaroslav I

DNA of prince Gleb Svyatoslavovich from the grave in Chernihiv cathedral was tested, he was I2a-Din not N1c:

Gleb Svyatoslavovich in this publication about Viking Age DNA is the sample VK542:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/703405v1

If I'm not mistaken, Gleb Svyatoslavovich was directly descended from Rurik himself.

And since he was I2a-Din, it makes the theory about I2a-Din Rurik more probable.

In terms of autosomal DNA, Gleb Svyatoslavovich (VK542) was ca. 71% Slavic and 25% South Euro (Table S6):

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2019/07/17/703405/DC3/embed/media-3.xlsx?download=true

=====

Another Rurikid prince tested in this publication was Izyaslav Ingvarovich - his haplogroup was R1a-L1029.

In terms of autosomal DNA, Izyaslav Ingvarovich (buried in Lutsk) - sample VK541 - was over 95% Slavic.

If I were to wager, I would say Izyaslav Ingvarovich is YP417, the most common Eastern Slavic subclade of L1029. Izyaslav was descended from Vladimir II Monomakh, husband of Gytha of Wessex and grandson of a Byzantine emperor. Gleb was descended from Yaroslav the Wise; which was the true line of Rurik? It is unlikely, if Rurik was in origin a Swede, that it would be I2a-Din. But L1029 is found along the Baltic and has made its way to Sweden; who's to say a Wend from northeast Germany voyaged to Sweden and a few generations later the line is now Swedish-speaking and produces Rurik, who voyages to Russia.

Last edited:
If I were to wager, I would say Izyaslav Ingvarovich is YP417, the most common Eastern Slavic subclade of L1029. Izyaslav was descended from Vladimir II Monomakh, husband of Gytha of Wessex and grandson of a Byzantine emperor. Gleb was descended from Yaroslav the Wise; which was the true line of Rurik? It is unlikely, if Rurik was in origin a Swede, that it would be I2a-Din. But L1029 is found along the Baltic and has made its way to Sweden; who's to say a Wend from northeast Germany voyaged to Sweden and a few generations later the line is now Swedish-speaking and produces Rurik, who voyages to Russia.

Another Rus Viking was YP417, the Rurikid prince was not. YP417 to my knowledge is not common in Scandinavian L1029. It’s mostly basal or YP263. Assuming as you say that it was a process of assimilation before migrating to Russia.

Sorry, I was just thinking on two streams at once. If it was a native line, it would be YP417, but if not, YP263 would be the best Swedish candidate for it.

Right now this is what the evidence suggests:

Yaroslav the Wise and Ingegerd had three sons, and their descendants belong to:

Izyaslav - his modern descendants are I2a
Sviatoslav - no descendants survived to present-day (?), but Gleb (his son) was I2a (per this study)
Vsevolod - his modern descendants are N1c

^^^
And Vsevolod's N1c is the suspected product of Ingegerd's romance with Olaf II Haraldsson.

The theory about Vsevolod being Olaf's son: https://space-time.ru/space-time/article/view/2226-7271provr_st3-21.2015.71

IMO testing Olaf II Haraldsson's descendants (or his own bones, if they exist) should follow.

=====

But I understand that "Christian supremacists" will deny that Saint Anna could ever cheat: ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingegerd_Olofsdotter_of_Sweden#Sainthood

Seems like you rejoice (no decent man should...) in this thought .
And what is a "Christian Supremacist"?

Yaroslav the Wise had sons Vsevolod and Izyaslav born by Ingegerd of Sweden. All modern Rurikids whose DNA was tested are descended from them (except for Rurikids with R1a who turned out to be false Rurikids with genealogy modified in the 16th century).

Descendants of Vsevolod are N1c and descendants of Izyaslav are I2a.

Vsevolod was born shortly after King Olaf departed back to Norway (his exile in Russia lasted for one year).

So there is a possibility of non-paternal event in N1c line. There is no similar story surrounding I2a line.

If Ingegerd did not cheat, then the only other option, is that Vsevolod was adopted, not her biological son.

What makes the R1a Rurikid a false claimant again? For one the sample was from the 13th century prince, not the 16th century. Secondly we don't have the remains of Rurik himself, despite you speaking like its a resolved and closed case.

We don't know what the original line is until we have the guys remains himself. Until then it is only guesswork. Especially with non-paternal events and the passage of time.

He is also half legendary as you say. So if he didn't even exist what could possibly make one line closer to an imaginary man than the next? lol

There are already Finnish and Swedish clusters of Slavic haplogroups. Even if a minority. So nothing is out of the question until proven with hard facts.

What makes the R1a Rurikid a false claimant again? For one the sample was from the 13th century prince, not the 16th century. Secondly we don't have the remains of Rurik himself, despite you speaking like its a resolved and closed case.

We don't know what the original line is until we have the guys remains himself. Until then it is only guesswork. Especially with non-paternal events and the passage of time.

He is also half legendary as you say. So if he didn't even exist what could possibly make one line closer to an imaginary man than the next? lol

There are already Finnish and Swedish clusters of Slavic haplogroups. Even if a minority. So nothing is out of the question until proven with hard facts.
Well , Ahmad ibn Fadlan tells that Rus were having a
funeral for chieftains, in which the dead body was put on a ship which was set on fire.
The other variant is that Rurik perished on the sea.
So the actual body of Rurik might never be found.

So the dynasty was mix of I2, N1c. So?

This thread has been viewed 15834 times.

Back