Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 70

Thread: Genes are key to academic success

  1. #26
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,053
    Points
    105,643
    Level
    100
    Points: 105,643, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #27
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    15,856
    Points
    311,020
    Level
    100
    Points: 311,020, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Mothers can quit fighting to get their children into certain classrooms with certain teachers. Well, unless the teacher is a bully and a psycho. There are some of those.

    See:

    https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2019-60508-001

    "Classroom-level influences on literacy skills in kindergarten through Grade 2, and on literacy and numeracy skills in Grades 3, 5, 7, and 9, were examined by comparing the similarity of twins who shared or did not share classrooms with each other. We analyzed two samples using structural equation modeling adapted for twin data. The first, Study 1, was of Australia-wide tests of literacy and numeracy, with 1,098; 1,080; 790, and 812 complete twin pairs contributing data for Grades 3, 5, 7, and 9, respectively. The second, Study 2, was of literacy tests from 753 twin pairs from kindergarten through Grade 2, which included a sample of United States and Australian students and was a reanalysis and extension of Byrne et al. (2010). Classroom effects were mostly nonsignificant; they accounted for only 2–3% of variance in achievement when averaged over tests and grades. Although the averaged effects may represent a lower-bound figure for classroom effects, and the design cannot detect classroom influences limited to individual students, the results are at odds with claims in public discourse of substantial classroom-level influences, which are mostly portrayed as teacher effects. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2019 APA, all rights reserved)"


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  3. #28
    Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    84
    Points
    2,407
    Level
    13
    Points: 2,407, Level: 13
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 10.0%


    Country: USA - New York



    Well, Ivy League schools have that covered. If you are too lucky to be East Asian and thus having a higher IQ, there are higher standards for you to get into certain Ivy League schools. Not only that they label people with epicanthic fold as too boring and too focused on success in academics. Ivy league schools also block Asian students from entering because they lack sport skills other with lower IQs applicants possess.

    https://www.foxnews.com/us/harvard-d...sian-americans

  4. #29
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    15,856
    Points
    311,020
    Level
    100
    Points: 311,020, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Messier 67 View Post
    Well, Ivy League schools have that covered. If you are too lucky to be East Asian and thus having a higher IQ, there are higher standards for you to get into certain Ivy League schools. Not only that they label people with epicanthic fold as too boring and too focused on success in academics. Ivy league schools also block Asian students from entering because they lack sport skills other with lower IQs applicants possess.

    https://www.foxnews.com/us/harvard-d...sian-americans
    Well, to be fair, triple 800s on your SATs don't necessarily mean that you're innovative and creative, or leadership material, which these schools have always seen themselves as, if not creating, then fostering . It's a carry over from earlier times, I admit, but that is indeed part of the context here.

    I saw it in the public school my children attended, and in the schools like them in similar communities. There were, of course, the awards for academic excellence, organizations for the students with a certain grade point average, and ones for performance in sports as well. Perhaps the most coveted prizes, however, were those for students who were "scholar athletes".

    I understand the logic, although as a student myself that would never have applied to me. Now, perhaps if there was one called "scholar and the arts". :)

    Sports do teach leadership and sportsmanship, qualities valued in western societies. It goes all the way back to the ancient Greeks. There's nothing like that in East Asian societies, to my knowledge. Nor is there the emphasis on individualism, creativity, etc.

    These schools don't want to be peopled totally by students who have spent their entire lives in their parents' homes cramming for tests.

    Another lesson from all of this research is that maybe Asian parents should protect their children's sanity and not send them to "after school school" and then Saturday school and never let them see the light of day. Honestly, if you have the gifts you don't need to do that. You'll still get really high SAT scores.

    I'm one of those who think the "Tiger Moms" are one step away from being child abusers. The irony is that a lot of their kids probably don't need it. They might very well do just fine academically, if not quite so precociously, perhaps.

  5. #30
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    25-06-18
    Posts
    419
    Points
    6,725
    Level
    24
    Points: 6,725, Level: 24
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Overall activity: 11.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

    Ethnic group
    Thracian
    Country: Greece



    Admission to Ivy League schools is becoming a cottage industry. There are cram schools for the SAT, people that prepare you for your interview, advisors for resume padding to show leadership skills, service to the community, etc. My daughter had very high SAT scores and she never prepared for. She never got into resume padding. She had earned a lot of local awards for her writing skills. She did not get accepted into Harvard but she did at Berkeley. She earned two undergraduate degrees in 4 years there and is now a Vice President at a major media company at the tender age of 29. But she busted her butt. On top of her native intelligence she has a tremendous work ethic and she's a great cook. Now if she could clean her room...
    We did not force her into after school activities, she dabbled with music but got bored with it, what she has accomplished was due to self motivation.

  6. #31
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    325
    Points
    2,045
    Level
    12
    Points: 2,045, Level: 12
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 6.0%


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Well, to be fair, triple 800s on your SATs don't necessarily mean that you're innovative and creative, or leadership material, which these schools have always seen themselves as, if not creating, then fostering . It's a carry over from earlier times, I admit, but that is indeed part of the context here.

    I saw it in the public school my children attended, and in the schools like them in similar communities. There were, of course, the awards for academic excellence, organizations for the students with a certain grade point average, and ones for performance in sports as well. Perhaps the most coveted prizes, however, were those for students who were "scholar athletes".

    I understand the logic, although as a student myself that would never have applied to me. Now, perhaps if there was one called "scholar and the arts". :)

    Sports do teach leadership and sportsmanship, qualities valued in western societies. It goes all the way back to the ancient Greeks. There's nothing like that in East Asian societies, to my knowledge. Nor is there the emphasis on individualism, creativity, etc.

    These schools don't want to be peopled totally by students who have spent their entire lives in their parents' homes cramming for tests.

    Another lesson from all of this research is that maybe Asian parents should protect their children's sanity and not send them to "after school school" and then Saturday school and never let them see the light of day. Honestly, if you have the gifts you don't need to do that. You'll still get really high SAT scores.

    I'm one of those who think the "Tiger Moms" are one step away from being child abusers. The irony is that a lot of their kids probably don't need it. They might very well do just fine academically, if not quite so precociously, perhaps.
    i think the lack of innovation in china is because of their political system. their governement is filled with engineers (here it's filled with lawyers, more scientists wouldn't hurt). they just see the state as a machine that needs to stay oiled and running, giving individualism no value. the governement has way too much power over the universities and you need to deliver there. they can't try out new stuff with uncertain outcome and so there is no innovation. but there is a lot of potential in the chinese population.
    they are just suffering from a regime that blocks everything.

    however i don't think thats the case with asian americans. and most harvard students probably have a good work ethic and are cramming for tests. maybe the asians just work harder. why punish them?

  7. #32
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,053
    Points
    105,643
    Level
    100
    Points: 105,643, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Well, to be fair, triple 800s on your SATs don't necessarily mean that you're innovative and creative, or leadership material, which these schools have always seen themselves as, if not creating, then fostering . It's a carry over from earlier times, I admit, but that is indeed part of the context here.

    I saw it in the public school my children attended, and in the schools like them in similar communities. There were, of course, the awards for academic excellence, organizations for the students with a certain grade point average, and ones for performance in sports as well. Perhaps the most coveted prizes, however, were those for students who were "scholar athletes".

    I understand the logic, although as a student myself that would never have applied to me. Now, perhaps if there was one called "scholar and the arts". :)

    Sports do teach leadership and sportsmanship, qualities valued in western societies. It goes all the way back to the ancient Greeks. There's nothing like that in East Asian societies, to my knowledge. Nor is there the emphasis on individualism, creativity, etc.

    These schools don't want to be peopled totally by students who have spent their entire lives in their parents' homes cramming for tests.

    Another lesson from all of this research is that maybe Asian parents should protect their children's sanity and not send them to "after school school" and then Saturday school and never let them see the light of day. Honestly, if you have the gifts you don't need to do that. You'll still get really high SAT scores.

    I'm one of those who think the "Tiger Moms" are one step away from being child abusers. The irony is that a lot of their kids probably don't need it. They might very well do just fine academically, if not quite so precociously, perhaps.
    Indeed more, and more studying, isn't necessarily conducive to academic success. I myself rarely studied for more than two hours, and it was usually a day before the test; I did exceptionally well. However, I always paid attention in class, and took meticulous notes, which I would type-out, as part of my studying.

    The brain is like a sponge, there is only so much it can absorb at a time.

  8. #33
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    15,856
    Points
    311,020
    Level
    100
    Points: 311,020, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    I don't think all those SAT courses do anything more for students than tinker at the margins of their results. There's a couple of studies where the difference pre and post the course is something like 25 points. Factor that out over the hundreds of dollars the courses cost.

    When I took them, and my brother, my parents had no idea they should be paying for these private courses. Their "outdated" and perhaps idealistic attitude was that the test would help us, and the colleges, figure out where we would best fit. There were only two tests then, they were much harder, and I still got 1520 out of 1600, 800 on the verbal and 720 on the math, and that's with English as a second language, and a school that only offered pre-calc. My brother's scores were the exact inverse. Those and his grades still got him into MIT, and, and this is an important and, he didn't have a nervous breakdown over it all. He belonged there, so there was no unnatural stress. He also didn't walk around with his slide rule in his pocket all day, played sports, sang, played an instrument, and had a full social life.

    In my experience, the real stars in any field not only have the intellectual capacity needed, they're also creative, in addition to having a lot of energy and the capacity to work hard.

    As for why East Asian countries really lack in the creativity department, imo it's more complicated than just their current system of government. To be honest, if you take a look at Chinese history, with a few exceptions they're not responsible for very many innovations of benefit to mankind. So, in some way it's bound up with their culture. Of course, culture is influenced by genetics, and culture drives selection, so it's a very complicated subject.

    It's also true that IQ tests are weighted toward "visual" scores, i.e. mathematics, so the supposed East Asian "advantage" of a few points in average IQ is a bit deceptive.

    @Ailchu,
    I don't think anyone is "punishing" them. If anything, it's their parents who are being punished and the effect on their children is a by-product. The emphasis is too extreme and too one sided. I saw a video on a Chinese American mother whose children didn't have one free moment for a social life, for sports, even just for downtime. After school there was the "after school" for cramming, particularly in math, then an hour and a half for practice on the violin for one child and the piano for another. Saturday was for all day school. That isn't mentally or physically healthy for the child, and people who are the product of that are not good for the health or creativity of a society.

    (I particularly didn't understand this mania for instruments. What good for anyone, the child, the society, in producing automatons who can play complicated musical pieces? I always believed in introducing them to everything, as I was introduced to everything, instruments, singing, art, sports or gymnastics, dance etc. If they have an aptitude for it, they'll like it and pursue it, and I supported it all the way. If nothing else, it makes people more well rounded and able to appreciate all that life has to offer. This enforced drill would make any normal child hate it. Look at the children whose parents have ruined them in pursuit of excellence in sport as well as music. It's just stupidly unfair. All the parents are doing is feeding their own ego and drive for status. My father used to say children are your responsibility; they shouldn't be your property).

    I understand and support the Ivy League Standards in this regard. They're a reflection of Western values. It wasn't for nothing that the Duke of Wellington supposedly said: "'The battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton'".


    The Confucian model which Asian parents are following, whether they know it or not, is completely different. It's based on a whole tradition of cramming for grueling exams in order to qualify for bureaucratic positions. That created a society which was static and not innovative at all, and which featured extreme deference to authority and acceptance of the status quo in virtually every aspect of life. That's not a model I would like to see the U.S. adopt.



  9. #34
    Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    84
    Points
    2,407
    Level
    13
    Points: 2,407, Level: 13
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 10.0%


    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Well, to be fair, triple 800s on your SATs don't necessarily mean that you're innovative and creative, or leadership material, which these schools have always seen themselves as, if not creating, then fostering . It's a carry over from earlier times, I admit, but that is indeed part of the context here.

    I saw it in the public school my children attended, and in the schools like them in similar communities. There were, of course, the awards for academic excellence, organizations for the students with a certain grade point average, and ones for performance in sports as well. Perhaps the most coveted prizes, however, were those for students who were "scholar athletes".

    I understand the logic, although as a student myself that would never have applied to me. Now, perhaps if there was one called "scholar and the arts". :)

    Sports do teach leadership and sportsmanship, qualities valued in western societies. It goes all the way back to the ancient Greeks. There's nothing like that in East Asian societies, to my knowledge. Nor is there the emphasis on individualism, creativity, etc.

    These schools don't want to be peopled totally by students who have spent their entire lives in their parents' homes cramming for tests.

    Another lesson from all of this research is that maybe Asian parents should protect their children's sanity and not send them to "after school school" and then Saturday school and never let them see the light of day. Honestly, if you have the gifts you don't need to do that. You'll still get really high SAT scores.

    I'm one of those who think the "Tiger Moms" are one step away from being child abusers. The irony is that a lot of their kids probably don't need it. They might very well do just fine academically, if not quite so precociously, perhaps.
    So nerds who excel in Academics are not permitted to go to the highest institutions of learning. The Romans and Greeks would disagree. This is social engineering to reject the brightest and most learned from top colleges.

  10. #35
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    15,856
    Points
    311,020
    Level
    100
    Points: 311,020, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Messier 67 View Post
    So nerds who excel in Academics are not permitted to go to the highest institutions of learning. The Romans and Greeks would disagree. This is social engineering to reject the brightest and most learned from top colleges.
    Nonsense. There are plenty of "nerds" who get accepted, but they want more than one type of student. SAT scores aren't the be all and end all.

    They're looking at the entire person, and they're providing educations for more than just STEM students. Trust me, a LOT of the applicants at certain schools have perfect SAT scores, or close to it, especially now that they've dumbed down the tests. How do you choose from among them? Or, look at it this way: you have one young person with 2400 on the tests, but other than a certain robotic ability on the violin, for example, he doesn't seem to have done anything else but study for thirteen years. You have another student with 2275 on the SATs but she's the captain of her tennis team, plays numerous other sports, sings in her church choir, is Class Treasurer one year, and Class President another, and has done volunteer work at the local animal shelter since Middle School. Oh, and she directs a children's dance group in the summers. Why not accept students like her as well? In fact, someone like her is my bet for someone who's going to be a mover and shaker.

  11. #36
    Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    84
    Points
    2,407
    Level
    13
    Points: 2,407, Level: 13
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 10.0%


    Country: USA - New York



    My point is the Ivy League schools already know that genes are key to academic success. East Asians have genes that are for academic success. They isolated this 'problem' and the solution is to limit the number of Asian Americans entering Harvard, regardless if every Asian American is a top sports player too.

    They know that Asian Americans are too smart and thus would flood Ivy League schools, so they put a literal cap on the number of Asians allowed into Harvard:

    'Supporters of the lawsuit said Harvard illegally discriminated against Asian Americans by putting a cap on the number admitted to the university, making it harder for Asian applicants to get in.'

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ericans-latest

    Then Ivy League schools hide behind the racist claim that Asians lack personality:

    'The group, founded by a longtime affirmative action opponent, Edward Blum, argued that while Asian Americans outperformed other groups on academic measures, stereotyping caused them to receive low scores on subjective “personal” ratings.'

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ericans-latest

    They get bullied in junior high and high school because they are nerdy and so smart. Then the colleges put a limit/cap on those who are Asian Americans from entering in because if they let them all on, there would be too many Asian Americans in the Ivy League schools, upsetting the existing WASP and other 'establish' in the Ivy League schools. Asian Americans are a threat to society because they are smart and are being kept down because of the high IQs, so they don't reach their potential at top universities.

    And then this is blamed on Asian Americans being too smart and nerdy, lacking 'personality', being too quiet. Nerds are quiet, they simply have to take a public speaking class and they are fine.

    Ivy League schools accept average IQ individuals, yet reject a demographic because they excel too much in academics. Even the racist trump administration recognized this. When you are more racist than racist trump who says it is ok to shoot Mexicans in the legs, wow.

    The Ancient Greeks would not reject Plato or Socrates from top academics over them not playing basketball. This is uniquely a modern thing to perform social engineering... To get those with lower IQs into colleges where they can get better pay because businesses and corporations place value on Ivy League schools.

    This Harvard and Ivy League school policy is as racist as those neo-nazis who don't want Syrian migrants in Europe because of this so-called fake 'white genocide'. They don't want the competition in Europe, they see somebody different and they discriminate. Ivy League schools isolated that Asian Americans have genes to succeed at an academic level, and the WASP and others at Ivy League schools know if they allow every qualified Asian into Ivy League schools, the board would be easily controllable, there would be 'WASP genocide' at Ivy League schools and there would be a replacement of the WASP 'establishment' at Ivy League schools replaced by Asians graduates in 20 years. To stop this genocide, they place caps on Asian Americans entering Harvard and other universities.

    My top college professor at the University I attended was an quiet Asian man, because I was one of his top students and the top students in the Department, he tried to get me good internships so that I could excel in employment. He did not need to to play basketball, he simply was a great guy and a great teacher because he had good genes for academics and was very hard working.

    This claim that Asians are lacking personality because they are quieter, and lack 'leadership skills' because they are not good at Lacrosse is racist. This is supposedly the top academic venue for top academics, rewards should go to the top academics in the country. I guess Harvard is simply another racist institution that CAPS the number of Asians entering Harvard because the WASPs feel threatened.

    Harvard is using the SAT to discriminate against Asians, Asians must score higher on the SATs than those of African descent. This is a total abuse of the SAT system, Harvard is rejecting the intelligent Asians because of SATs, I never said the SAT are end all be all, Harvard does in accepting Asian Americans, or in Harvard's case of rejecting top intelligent Asian Americans.

  12. #37
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    15,856
    Points
    311,020
    Level
    100
    Points: 311,020, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    If, for whatever reason, you want to believe this, go ahead. Everybody seems to want to play the victim card

    In my experience it's nonsense. My children's schools are now about one quarter Asian. The East and South Asian students don't go out for sports, they don't participate in student government, or do volunteer activities. It's the same with the parents. They don't join the Parent/Teacher Association, or volunteer at the school, and with the various clubs or teams, or, indeed with the various community organizations. They have no interest in joining the local swim and tennis clubs, or helping out with the Welcome Wagon Association, or the library. It is what it is; it's just a different culture.

    Telling the truth about this is not racist; it's an objective description of the reality.

    Oh, and someone with all A's, a 2275 SAT and all the AP courses offered on the transcript is not an "average" student. The student I'm talking about is just not a one dimensional young person, and that's good for her, the school she's in, and the future.

    The fact that you can't have a civil conversation, even dispute about this without resorting to childish downvoting is part of what I'm talking about; it's a lack of social awareness and understanding of how to function in groups. This kind of attitude, this tribalism, is permeating American society, and it's to its detriment.

  13. #38
    Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    84
    Points
    2,407
    Level
    13
    Points: 2,407, Level: 13
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 10.0%


    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    If, for whatever reason, you want to believe this, go ahead. Everybody seems to want to play the victim card

    In my experience it's nonsense. My children's schools are now about one quarter Asian. The East and South Asian students don't go out for sports, they don't participate in student government, or do volunteer activities. It's the same with the parents. They don't join the Parent/Teacher Association, or volunteer at the school, and with the various clubs or teams, or, indeed with the various community organizations. They have no interest in joining the local swim and tennis clubs, or helping out with the Welcome Wagon Association, or the library. It is what it is; it's just a different culture.

    Telling the truth about this is not racist; it's an objective description of the reality.

    Oh, and someone with all A's, a 2275 SAT and all the AP courses offered on the transcript is not an "average" student. The student I'm talking about is just not a one dimensional young person, and that's good for her, the school she's in, and the future.

    The fact that you can't have a civil conversation, even dispute about this without resorting to childish downvoting is part of what I'm talking about; it's a lack of social awareness and understanding of how to function in groups. This kind of attitude, this tribalism, is permeating American society, and it's to its detriment.
    While I learned alot from my high IQ Asian Chinese-American professor in college. I learned practically nothing from my four African professors, one professor was trying and I had to instruct the professor in basics of geography. The other three had courses that were thought to be something else, when in fact they were only about how white discriminate against blacks and how blacks don't go to Ivy Leauge schools because of the racism in public schools that keep black kids down because the whites don't value educating blacks.

    Every of the three classes of those African professors was like this:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM

    (without the murder at the end, you got good grades by saying gender equality and multiculturalism, if you treated the course in any other way, you did not get the favor of the teachers).

    There was not anything academic or high IQ about any of the classes I had with African professors. Yet Ivy League schools say those who score less on SAT, have lower IQ and do not succeed well in academics deserve a place in Ivy League schools in place of smart Asians.

    Genetics is racist, in a good way. If your parents were civilized and for thousands of years cared about being hard working and studious and placed a focus on family and creativity, you get to have the good genes of acumen in academics. If what your ancestors did was kill and act like uncivilized barbarians focusing on not on cooperation and building, but on destruction and bullying... you are generally don't have good academic genes. Nature is 'racist' in this regard. You say you lose hope in humanity sometimes from the finding, I find hope, hope that those who do good and work hard like Asian Americans, and don't bother people with bombs and mass killings, are rewarded with success. Social engineering is what is truly racist.

    Focus on humanity and developing skills to make a better world, and your children will excel in doing this. Do the opposite and your child will be bullies too.

    To punish Asians for being too smart a group is to work on the inverse. The Devil works on the inverse. Rewards bad behavior. Punishes good deeds. This social engineering of Harvard and elsewhere is evil. This is why trump won in 2016, the public was sick of this. Most recognize hard work and good results deserve rewards.

    The same group that bullies the Syrian migrants and the Mexican migrants are the same group that bullied neolithic EEF. This is partly from genes. Christianity tempered this for 2000 years, but even with Christianity, you had the genocide of Native Americans from the same crowd.

    This works for good and bad deeds, love and hate:

    https://youtu.be/j1c3EmrySSI?t=2m10s

  14. #39
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    15,856
    Points
    311,020
    Level
    100
    Points: 311,020, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Messier, never did I advocate that Ivy League schools or ANY university admit students who don't have the ability to perform at the expected level. University is not the place to redress racial imbalances by admitting students to whom you have to teach remedial math and reading and writing. Affirmative action has not worked. Period. All you get is substandard graduates, if they graduate at all, which most don't.

    I'm talking about how to choose from among many qualified candidates. Just from my daughter's graduating class, ten students applied to Harvard. They wouldn't have applied if they didn't think they had a shot. They were all straight A students who had taken all AP courses senior year, and probably all had combined SATS of 2250 and above out of 2400. However, you'd see the same situation in every really good school in the tri-state area. Multiply that all over the country. Harvard or any Ivy League school can't take them all. There has to be some way to discriminate among them, and I agree with these schools that strictly looking at SAT scores is not the answer.

    As for the following, it's not only vastly incorrect, but it's bizarre. By that standard Germans should have low IQs.

    Europeans get no prizes for being humane. For goodness sakes, the Balkan Wars with their mass rape as a tactic of war and their genocide and ethnic cleansing was barely thirty years ago, World War II seventy years ago. I still have some ancient aunts who lived through it. Don't tell me how civilized Germans are. It wasn't just the SS who burned my people alive in their churches. It was the Wehrmacht too. And most of them got away with it. My own people did their share. What is humane in bombing Ethiopian villagers in their huts?

    Please.

    Messier:
    If your parents were civilized and for thousands of years cared about being hard working and studious and placed a focus on family and creativity, you get to have the good genes of acumen in academics. If what your ancestors did was kill and act like uncivilized barbarians focusing on not on cooperation and building, but on destruction and bullying... you are generally don't have good academic genes."

  15. #40
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    325
    Points
    2,045
    Level
    12
    Points: 2,045, Level: 12
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 6.0%


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    but why even make different fixed requirement scores and not just the same range for all ethnicities in which you have to be in in that case? is the average private life really a reason for different score requirements? probably not. asian americans make up only 5.6% of the total american population but they make up 25% of the students that are entering harvard in 2023. harvard and other such universities probably just want to ensure that one ethnicity doesn't take over so they stay ethnically diverse. that has bad but also good sides. though if they really just wanted the best it would look different.

  16. #41
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    09-06-18
    Posts
    130
    Points
    4,322
    Level
    19
    Points: 4,322, Level: 19
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Catalan
    Country: Spain - Catalonia



    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    but why even make different fixed requirement scores and not just the same range for all ethnicities in which you have to be in in that case? is the average private life really a reason for different score requirements? probably not. asian americans make up only 5.6% of the total american population but they make up 25% of the students that are entering harvard in 2023. harvard and other such universities probably just want to ensure that one ethnicity doesn't take over so they stay ethnically diverse. that has bad but also good sides. though if they really just wanted the best it would look different.
    The problem with this argument is when there were no Asians being "better", the diversity argument was simply non-existent, and white Americans were 100%.

    I am not American, and I am not Asian. But I find highly distressing that a child that deserves, for his/her own merits, to "be there", is just expelled because he is in the "wrong" ethnic group, and instead, others with less merits, "are there" because they are in the "right" ethnic group.

    In my opinion, this is simply racism (but a racism that is OK for the "anti-racists").

  17. #42
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    325
    Points
    2,045
    Level
    12
    Points: 2,045, Level: 12
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 6.0%


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Farstar View Post
    The problem with this argument is when there were no Asians being "better", the diversity argument was simply non-existent, and white Americans were 100%.

    I am not American, and I am not Asian. But I find highly distressing that a child that deserves, for his/her own merits, to "be there", is just expelled because he is in the "wrong" ethnic group, and instead, others with less merits, "are there" because they are in the "right" ethnic group.

    In my opinion, this is simply racism (but a racism that is OK for the "anti-racists").
    as soon as you implement different score requirements, it's racist no matter how you look at it imo. if harvard really looks at a persons private life, and they didn't care about race, there would be no need for a difference in required scores. maybe harvard jusfifies it with an increased diversity at the universities, which leads to higher acceptance and helps to fight racism in the future since different social layers get a chance to climb up the ladder. and an increased diversity might be beneficial for the campus and the scientific community at the university.

  18. #43
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    09-06-18
    Posts
    130
    Points
    4,322
    Level
    19
    Points: 4,322, Level: 19
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Catalan
    Country: Spain - Catalonia



    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    as soon as you implement different score requirements, it's racist no matter how you look at it imo. if harvard really looks at a persons private life, and they didn't care about race, there would be no need for a difference in required scores. maybe harvard jusfifies it with an increased diversity at the universities, which leads to higher acceptance and helps to fight racism in the future since different social layers get a chance to climb up the ladder. and an increased diversity might be beneficial for the campus and the scientific community at the university.
    You are accepting my thesis: there is a good racism, and a bad one. The good racism is against Asians. I cannot believe that anybody would support racism against African-Americans, for example, under the argument of the "future common good".

    Also, if you want to do a pros&cons analysis of your proposal of "good racism" for the "future common good" (which I deeply dislike), you also need to take into account the negatives: for example, the resentment of the Asians. Or the possibility they leave the country.

    Let me recall most of the geniuses in the world were people with clearly not the skills needed for Harvard nowadays (and I am not one of those!). In the end, the person that will solve big scientific problems will not be a person playing well a given sport, but a deeply committed and intelligent person.

  19. #44
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    25-06-18
    Posts
    419
    Points
    6,725
    Level
    24
    Points: 6,725, Level: 24
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Overall activity: 11.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

    Ethnic group
    Thracian
    Country: Greece



    Harvard does not owe anybody, anything. They are a private school. They can admit whoever they want. If you want to complain, complain about the legacies and kids of donors or politicians.
    Once you are admitted to Harvard you they will not let you fail. They have a stake in admitting people that are successful. I know you think that scientists that win the Nobel Prize are prized at Harvard. But a successful Facebook founder or Microsoft founder will do more for the reputation of Harvard than 10 Nobel prizes for medicine.

    As far as East Asians leaving the US, we will survive. And if you have noticed lately, there is a movement to consider national security implications in admitting and or hiring East Asian scientists, particularly Chinese.

  20. #45
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-05-17
    Posts
    3,003
    Points
    42,238
    Level
    63
    Points: 42,238, Level: 63
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 712
    Overall activity: 68.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Harvard gets Federal Research Grants (my money 😡) and other perks.

    Harvard owes me!

  21. #46
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    15,856
    Points
    311,020
    Level
    100
    Points: 311,020, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Hot off the presses...sort of. :)

    "The heritability of intelligence increases linearly from around 20% in infancy to 40 to 50% in adolescence, then 60% in young adulthood, upward to 80% (or even higher) in later adulthood, but probably declines somewhat after age 80./ The full effect of heritabilty occurs by mid-adulthood. This is due to something called the “Wilson Effect” -- a tenet of behavior genetics that, as people age, their genes exert more influence over IQ, and the influence of environmental factors decreases.

    https://twitter.com/a_centrism/statu...14965114712064

    It seems the debate is over. Now, we have to make sure the data isn't used for nefarious purposes.

  22. #47
    Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    84
    Points
    2,407
    Level
    13
    Points: 2,407, Level: 13
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 10.0%


    Country: USA - New York





    From the university of California:

    Of those factors, moreover, race has become the strongest predictor. Rather than declining in salience, race and ethnicity are now more important than either family income or parental education in accounting for test score differences.

    As people have stated before, if you want to have high IQ kids, marry somebody who comes from a high IQ family.

    Bangladesh is doing the opposite of Silicon Valley. Silicon Valley schools that the tech geniuses are sending their kids to, are removing technology from the classroom and teaching them the old fashion way. They recognize that face to face and paper and pen are far more valuable to their kids than technology.

    https://www.businessinsider.fr/us/si...ed-flag-2018-2

    I was telling those in Bangladesh on a forum that simply giving their kids technology will not impart high IQs onto them, technology is a tool, not some panacea to solve education problems. For it made the news that Bangladesh wants to give every student a tablet to learn, and having this technology they think should improve grades. If somebody has difficulty learning from books, technology is not going to solve the problem. With technology, you have access to more information, so yes, technology is great, it destroys old false beliefs because the amount of facts you have at your fingertips. But those who excelled without technology will excel with technology. If you were not interested in learning with books, simply having a tablet is not going to raise IQs.

  23. #48
    Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    84
    Points
    2,407
    Level
    13
    Points: 2,407, Level: 13
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 10.0%


    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    As for the following, it's not only vastly incorrect, but it's bizarre. By that standard Germans should have low IQs.

    Europeans get no prizes for being humane. For goodness sakes, the Balkan Wars with their mass rape as a tactic of war and their genocide and ethnic cleansing was barely thirty years ago, World War II seventy years ago. I still have some ancient aunts who lived through it. Don't tell me how civilized Germans are. It wasn't just the SS who burned my people alive in their churches. It was the Wehrmacht too. And most of them got away with it. My own people did their share. What is humane in bombing Ethiopian villagers in their huts?

    Please.

    Messier:
    Christianity for 2000 years sort of tamed barbarism. Allowing Universities to rise and learning and technology to grow. The Church both flourished learning and stifled learning (as was the case of Galileo), but the barbarians that the 'civilized' Romans could not tame were tamed by a religion, which allowed the continuation of Near East and Greco-Roman learning to carry on during the Middle Ages, causing the Industrial Revolution and nearly everything that we think about as modern life.

    But as Christianity waned, barbarism returned, as was the case of occult Nazis Germany. The barbarians returned to their ways. The rise of the 'far right' is the continuation of the return.

  24. #49
    Princess Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteranThree Friends
    davef's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-06-16
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,240
    Points
    12,099
    Level
    33
    Points: 12,099, Level: 33
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Overall activity: 3.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.
    @salento
    We both know that any college Ivy league or not is a business and their primary goal is to make money. If it's more profitable to admit people with 2.5 GPA's or chipmunks they will gladly do so.

    The majority of the classes i took in college/University taught me how to waste money and time learning
    nothing ill ever need to know to excel in the profession I wanted
    mmmmmmmmm dooouuughhhnuuuutz

  25. #50
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    15,856
    Points
    311,020
    Level
    100
    Points: 311,020, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.
    I completely agree with your post number 47, and partly agree with post number 48.

    Where I differ as to the latter is that Christianity either wasn't able to completely tame the beast or actively encouraged him, i.e. the slaughter even of Christians in the Near East during the Crusades, as well, of course, as the near genocide of the Jews in Central Europe, the Albigensian Crusade, etc. Even World War I, which destroyed an entire generation of young men, and was, I think, even bloodier than World War II, was fought with each European country sure that God was on their side.

    I will concede that the two worst ideologies ever to spring from the culture of the West, Nazism and Communism, were both atheistic and were sworn enemies of Christianity.

    For me, all it proves is what the good sisters taught me: there is no human endeavor or institution which isn't flawed, because they are created by men and men are fatally flawed, men in the universal sense of humankind, of course. :) So, the Church is not, was not, and never could be perfect, as there are no perfect Christians, and never were. It's an aspiration for believers, not an achieved goal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •