Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 103

Thread: Genes are key to academic success

  1. #76
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    17,856
    Points
    389,370
    Level
    100
    Points: 389,370, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    2 members found this post helpful.
    ^^What utter nonsense. We're leaving Europe in the dust. Russia isn't even in the running.

    As they used to say in the Soviet Union: We pretend to work and they pretend to pay us.

    Bernie would love you on his team. He thought the bread lines in Socialist Nicaragua were a good sign. Supposedly, in capitalist countries the poor starve and the rich get fat, so lines were a good sign that everyone was more equal. First of all, no one in America is starving unless they're mentally ill or drug addicts. Why the mentally ill aren't in hospitals is a whole other issue. Second of all, it never occurs to him that the optimal situation is not to ration the little that is produced in communist countries, but to have a robust capitalist economy which can produce more so food doesn't have to be rationed, and no one has to stand in line for food.

    As for division, I guess you don't pay attention to British news. Brexit completely divided the country. The "Woke" Revolution is dividing people there as much as here.

    As the right wing nationalist parties gain traction we'll see how much division there is in Europe.

    Of course, from my point of view, Europeans are all Socialists; it's just that some of them are also racists.
    Last edited by Angela; 14-02-20 at 20:23.


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  2. #77
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    23-02-15
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    893
    Points
    13,460
    Level
    35
    Points: 13,460, Level: 35
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 22.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

    Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic
    Country: Netherlands



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    ^^What utter nonsense. We're leaving Europe in the dust. Russia isn't even in the running.

    As they used to say in the Soviet Union: We pretend to work and they pretend to pay us.

    Bernie would love you on his team. He thought the bread lines in Socialist Nicaragua were a good sign.

    As for division, I guess you don't pay attention to British news. Brexit completely divided the country. The "Woke" Revolution is dividing people there as much as here.

    As the right wing nationalist parties gain traction we'll see how much division there is in Europe.

    Of course, from my point of view, Europeans are all Socialists; it's just that some of them are also racists.
    Yes when you are only looking superficial in numbers.....but the quality of life of the nation as a whole is dropping down!You exemplify the problem, short term policy only quantity not looking at quality.....pursuit of hapinnes long gone.

    from the article:
    Except for its 10th-place ranking for income, the US did not rank in the top 10 on measures that make up a happy country in the report, placing 12th for generosity, 37th for social support, 61st for freedom and 42nd for corruption.
    Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness???? nada.

    This year’s report provides sobering evidence of how addictions are causing considerable unhappiness and depression in the U.S.,” said report co-author Jeffrey Sachs. “Addictions come in many forms, from substance abuse to gambling to digital media. The compulsive pursuit of substance abuse and addictive behaviors is causing severe unhappiness.”From a policy standpoint, Sachs says the U.S. has failed to react to the issues it faces, such as obesity rates being among the highest in the world; rising rates of adolescent depression; rising age-adjusted suicide rates since the year 2000; a searing opioid epidemic; and falling overall life expectancy.
    To parafase Shakespeare 'there is something rotten in the US state......'

    And let's not forget you already have a right wing nationalist in the White House! Big walls on the border and shooting Mexicans through the knees even the AIFD in Germany is this too blunt...

    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49901878

    See the Barr case this week....how about the trias politica? The founding fathers are turning around in their graves!

    I guess the dystopia of the meritocracy has already delivered Trump.....go Bernie go!

  3. #78
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    17,856
    Points
    389,370
    Level
    100
    Points: 389,370, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Again, what utter nonsense.

    At last count (as of February 6,2020) 90% of Americans say they are satisfied with their personal lives.
    https://news.gallup.com/poll/284285/...onal-life.aspx

    "WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Nine in 10 Americans are satisfied with the way things are going in their personal life, a new high in Gallup's four-decade trend. The latest figure bests the previous high of 88% recorded in 2003."

    "T
    he percentage of Americans who report being satisfied with their personal life is similar to the 86% who said in December that they were very or fairly happy."

    But of course, you know better how people feel, and whether their feelings have value.

    Why don't you worry about your own country? Americans are doing very well, thank you very much.

  4. #79
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    23-02-15
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    893
    Points
    13,460
    Level
    35
    Points: 13,460, Level: 35
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 22.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

    Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic
    Country: Netherlands



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Again, what utter nonsense.

    At last count (as of February 6,2020) 90% of Americans say they are satisfied with their personal lives.
    https://news.gallup.com/poll/284285/...onal-life.aspx

    "WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Nine in 10 Americans are satisfied with the way things are going in their personal life, a new high in Gallup's four-decade trend. The latest figure bests the previous high of 88% recorded in 2003."

    "T
    he percentage of Americans who report being satisfied with their personal life is similar to the 86% who said in December that they were very or fairly happy."

    But of course, you know better how people feel, and whether their feelings have value.

    Why don't you worry about your own country? Americans are doing very well, thank you very much.
    No I can quote fortune, not Bernies supporters magazine isn't it?
    https://fortune.com/2019/03/20/u-s-u...its-ever-been/

    It's based on a serious report:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report

    see:
    https://worldhappiness.report/ed/2019/

    Of course all fake news.....huh.

    By the way my country is on number five!

  5. #80
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    23-02-15
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    893
    Points
    13,460
    Level
    35
    Points: 13,460, Level: 35
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 22.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

    Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic
    Country: Netherlands



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Again, what utter nonsense.

    At last count (as of February 6,2020) 90% of Americans say they are satisfied with their personal lives.
    https://news.gallup.com/poll/284285/...onal-life.aspx

    "WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Nine in 10 Americans are satisfied with the way things are going in their personal life, a new high in Gallup's four-decade trend. The latest figure bests the previous high of 88% recorded in 2003."

    "T
    he percentage of Americans who report being satisfied with their personal life is similar to the 86% who said in December that they were very or fairly happy."

    But of course, you know better how people feel, and whether their feelings have value.

    Why don't you worry about your own country? Americans are doing very well, thank you very much.
    But on topic I'm convinced that a better quality of life, a good acces to public services (like schools but also hospitals) that are of excellent quality provides the best conditions for raising creativity and making use of the iq we seem to have inherited from our parents!

  6. #81
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    17,856
    Points
    389,370
    Level
    100
    Points: 389,370, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Northener View Post
    No I can quote fortune, not Bernies supporters magazine isn't it?
    https://fortune.com/2019/03/20/u-s-u...its-ever-been/

    It's based on a serious report:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report

    see:
    https://worldhappiness.report/ed/2019/

    Of course all fake news.....huh.

    By the way my country is on number five!
    Thanks, but I'll stick with Gallup, not some b.s. poll by the U.N., that cesspit.

    Number 5. Well, well, I guess you like yourselves. I guess it's only outsiders who think the Dutch are the most obnoxious people in Europe.

    No point in continuing to discuss things with brain washed socialists. OUT.

  7. #82
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    23-02-15
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    893
    Points
    13,460
    Level
    35
    Points: 13,460, Level: 35
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 22.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

    Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic
    Country: Netherlands



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Thanks, but I'll stick with Gallup, not some b.s. poll by the U.N., that cesspit.

    Number 5. Well, well, I guess you like yourselves. I guess it's only outsiders who think the Dutch are the most obnoxious people in Europe.

    No point in continuing to discuss things with brain washed socialists. OUT.
    Mind you this world un report is from Jeffrey Sachs, the man of the shock therapy for ex communist countries, not a Bernie supporter isn't it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Sachs

    No Dutch is not heaven on earth....problems enough still indeed the quality of life is sincere good.

    And guess what Angela I'm a happy guy because I life in the happiest city of the country.....

    https://www.iamexpat.nl/expat-info/d...y-quality-life

    From all the cities surveyed, Groningen ranked equal third, behind Aalborg in Denmark and Hamburg in Germany, and equal to Zurich, Oslo and Copenhagen.
    and yes this makes me a little bit proud......

    But all fata morgana of a social democrat of course....no doubts.

    I saw you mentioned not a single word about the content of that report but minor detail.

  8. #83
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,887
    Points
    157,762
    Level
    100
    Points: 157,762, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.2%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northener View Post
    Mind you this world un report is from Jeffrey Sachs, the man of the shock therapy for ex communist countries, not a Bernie supporter isn't it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Sachs

    No Dutch is not heaven on earth....problems enough still indeed the quality of life is sincere good.

    And guess what Angela I'm a happy guy because I life in the happiest city of the country.....

    https://www.iamexpat.nl/expat-info/d...y-quality-life



    and yes this makes me a little bit proud......

    But all fata morgana of a social democrat of course....no doubts.

    I saw you mentioned not a single word about the content of that report but minor detail.
    I am happy, and proud to be wealthy here in the USA.

    I don't need articles or studies to tell me that.
    There can be no covenants between men and lions

  9. #84
    Regular Member Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    shissem@san.rr.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-05-17
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    320
    Points
    10,852
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,852, Level: 31
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 4.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a-Z726
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a4a1h

    Ethnic group
    English/German
    Country: USA - California



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Amen to that. Life is good here, I hope it is for Northerner as well . . .

  10. #85
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    23-02-15
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    893
    Points
    13,460
    Level
    35
    Points: 13,460, Level: 35
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 22.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

    Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic
    Country: Netherlands



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    I am happy, and proud to be wealthy here in the USA.

    I don't need articles or studies to tell me that.
    Be my guest Jovialis, and I like those founding father spirit for example too.

    But the studies prove: wealthy but the quality of life is getting down.

    But I guess many people in Europe (am I in Eupedia or what?) are kind of tired of that 'America great again' and 'number one' etc. They or we look through it.....you also have some shadow sides. Every country has it...(but I see constant ignore or denial).

    But no: every time is the story ' we leave you Europeans in the dust' and such like big talk. Do you have any idea that this kind of big talk is leading to the reaction of (ahum intelligent) people in the rest of the world let's have a look at that number one...(obvious not in the quality of life).

  11. #86
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    09-06-18
    Posts
    210
    Points
    6,629
    Level
    24
    Points: 6,629, Level: 24
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Catalan
    Country: Spain - Catalonia



    The idea of self-reported quality of life is bogus. An example: in Spain, healthcare is completely free (exception: dentists). Spaniards take this for granted. Spaniards that have never lived abroad cannot even think that healthcare could be not free, and that you need to limit the use of healthcare because you do not have enough money.

    So, Spaniards may have a lowish self-reported quality of life for some particular reason, but they do not give any weight to the fact they have healthcare for free.

    Instead, for many citizens of the world, their self-reported quality of life would explode upwards if they had free healthcare.

    Also, there is culture: some cultures are used to criticize themselves often, others do not. I criticize Spain a lot, since I think this is my patriotic duty as a Catalan. Instead, Americans probably would feel they are being unpatriotic if they complain about their country. Also, is there data for North Koreans?

  12. #87
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    23-02-15
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    893
    Points
    13,460
    Level
    35
    Points: 13,460, Level: 35
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 22.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

    Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic
    Country: Netherlands



    Quote Originally Posted by Farstar View Post
    The idea of self-reported quality of life is bogus. An example: in Spain, healthcare is completely free (exception: dentists). Spaniards take this for granted. Spaniards that have never lived abroad cannot even think that healthcare could be not free, and that you need to limit the use of healthcare because you do not have enough money.

    So, Spaniards may have a lowish self-reported quality of life for some particular reason, but they do not give any weight to the fact they have healthcare for free.

    Instead, for many citizens of the world, their self-reported quality of life would explode upwards if they had free healthcare.

    Also, there is culture: some cultures are used to criticize themselves often, others do not. I criticize Spain a lot, since I think this is my patriotic duty as a Catalan. Instead, Americans probably would feel they are being unpatriotic if they complain about their country. Also, is there data for North Koreans?
    Ok besides that, there are some indicators like overweight or the use of drugs and medicines are clear done by measurements (not self report).

    By the way what's wrong with self-report ok it is subjective but well being is subjective.....

    And about free healthcare as such doesn't say anything about the quality of healthcare.

    Your point about culture is IMO interesting, although the quality of life is the best of Europe the people here are kind of reserved, people in my region (North Dutch) dislike big talk that kind of attitude meats at least irony. But I guess we share this with the North Germans/ Scandics.

  13. #88
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,887
    Points
    157,762
    Level
    100
    Points: 157,762, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.2%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Northener View Post
    Be my guest Jovialis, and I like those founding father spirit for example too.

    But the studies prove: wealthy but the quality of life is getting down.

    But I guess many people in Europe (am I in Eupedia or what?) are kind of tired of that 'America great again' and 'number one' etc. They or we look through it.....you also have some shadow sides. Every country has it...(but I see constant ignore or denial).

    But no: every time is the story ' we leave you Europeans in the dust' and such like big talk. Do you have any idea that this kind of big talk is leading to the reaction of (ahum intelligent) people in the rest of the world let's have a look at that number one...(obvious not in the quality of life).
    Yes you are on Eupedia, but this thread is about academic success being linked to genes. The article states that people with genetic advantages are able utilize meritocratic systems to their advantage. Socialist societies are focused on engineering economic and social equity, via the state. Thus, socialist societies will have to stifle the people with the inherent ability to out perform their peers. Ergo, my statement is correct; that meritocratic-capitalist societies are optimal environments for genetically advantageous people.

    Personally, I would have no reason to support socialism, given my circumstances. However, even less fortunate people, who do have the inherent ability to achieve great success are smart enough, and hungry enough to advance their lives. At any rate, life is not fair, no matter how much central planning goes into governance. Some will succeed, and some will not; that is the natural order of things. But it is bad for humanity to hobble the most talented and gifted for a futile cause, which is how I see it.

  14. #89
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    23-02-15
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    893
    Points
    13,460
    Level
    35
    Points: 13,460, Level: 35
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 22.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

    Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic
    Country: Netherlands



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    Yes you are on Eupedia, but this thread is about academic success being linked to genes. The article states that people with genetic advantages are able utilize meritocratic systems to their advantage. Socialist societies are focused on engineering economic and social equity, via the state. Thus, socialist societies will have to stifle the people with the inherent ability to out perform their peers. Ergo, my statement is correct; that meritocratic-capitalist societies are optimal environments for genetically advantageous people.

    Personally, I would have no reason to support socialism, given my circumstances. However, even less fortunate people, who do have the inherit ability to achieve great success are smart enough, and hungry enough to advance their lives. At any rate, life is not fair, no matter how much central planning goings into governance. Some will succeed, and some will not; that is the natural order of things. But it is bad for humanity to hobble the most talented and gifted for a futile cause, which is how I see it.

    I'm a social democrat, Angela thinks that I'm therefore 'brainwashed' (speaking about respect for the political opinions of the members

    And because it's Eupedia, and not a single playground of the US, I see again in your posting you don't have a single clue about social democracy Euro style, I feel free to say something about that.

    That engineering thing is something that even neo-conservaties have! Implanting democracy in Irak for example is a clear example of a kind of US social engeneering.

    Social democrats are first of all supporters of the democratic system that makes them different form the radical left or the commies in the earlier days. From Olaf Palme in Sweden to Willy Brandt/Helmut Schmidt in Germany, Francois Mittterand in France, Willem Drees, Joop Den Uijl, Wim Kok in the Netherlands, Felipe Gonzalez in Spain, Attlee, Wilson, Blair , Brown in the UK for example were al member of the social democracy, they shaped together with other democratic party's Europe after ww2. They were not revolutionaries they were democratic in attitude and style.....and that doesn't deserve the coin 'you have to be brainwashed' that is simply a disgrace and we don't deserve that coin.

    With regard to meritocracy you see (I quoted Young about this topic above ^^^) that the Labour party and the other social democratic party's in NW Europe (just like the Clintons) were very meritocratic.....that's why Brown (and Clinton) spoke about the deplorables. May be you didn't expect that but the social democrats of the 'third way' were mainly (not all) very meritocratic.

    see this very illustrative Gordon Brown, Labour:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEReCN9gO14

    and Clinton:
    https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/pol...plorables.html

    I'm just somewhat critical about that.....meritocracy must not lead to a class divide along iq. Nothing wrong with personal merit and judgments by that, but when it leads to a 'diploma-democracy'......>>>

    I think a meritocracy earns populism either in the right or left kind.

  15. #90
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,887
    Points
    157,762
    Level
    100
    Points: 157,762, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.2%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Northener View Post
    I'm a social democrat, Angela thinks that I'm therefore 'brainwashed' (speaking about respect for the political opinions of the members

    And because it's Eupedia, and not a single playground of the US, I see again in your posting you don't have a single clue about social democracy Euro style, I feel free to say something about that.

    That engineering thing is something that even neo-conservaties have! Implanting democracy in Irak for example is clear example of a kind of US social engeneering.

    Social democrats are first of all supporters of the democratic system that makes them different form the radical left or the commies in the earlier days. From Olaf Palme in Sweden to Willy Brandt/Helmut Schmidt in Germany, Francois Mittterand in France, Willem Drees, Joop Den Uijl, Wim Kok in the Netherlands, Felipe Gonzalez in Spain, Attlee, Wilson, Blair , Brown in the UK for example were al member of the social democracy, they shaped together with other democratic party's Europe after ww2. They were not revolutionaries they were democratic in attitude and style.....and that doesn't deserve the coin 'you have to be brainwashed' that is simply a disgrace and we don't deserve that coin.

    With regard to meritocracy you see (I quoted Young about this topic above ^^^) that the Labour party and the other social democratic party's in NW Europe (just like the Clintons) were very meritocratic.....that's why Brown (and Clinton) spoke about the deplorables. May be you didn't expect that but the social democrats of the 'third way' were mainly (not all) very meritocratic.

    see this very illustrative Gordon Brown, Labour:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEReCN9gO14

    and Clinton:
    https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/pol...plorables.html

    I'm just what critical about that.....meritocracy must not lead to a class divide along iq. Nothing wrong with personal merit and judgments by that, but when it leads to a 'diplom-democracy'......>>>

    I think a meritocracy earns populism either in the right or left kind.
    Let's keep things dispassionate here, so we can focus on the main issue.

    Your statement:

    "meritocracy must not lead to a class divide along iq."

    I think this is the main disconnect here, what you are saying is normative statement. It is a value judgement.

    What I am saying:

    "meritocratic-capitalist societies are optimal environments for genetically advantageous people."

    This is a positive statement; It is an acknowledgment of the facts of reality. People who are more capable will thrive in place where they are allowed to. Thus, there will surely be class divide in meritocratic societies, because higher IQs will surpass lower IQs. To suggest that lower IQ people will do as well, or better than higher IQ people would be astonishing to say the least. But completely unbelievable.

    Now, if I were to make a normative statement, I think higher IQ people deserve to thrive, over lower IQ people.

    I'm not convinced that taxing wealth to facilitate the lives of less capable people is something that I should support, or is good for society. Scarcity of resources is ultimately the source of conflict, and will always create a situation of haves and have-nots.

    The "nation building" policies of Neo-Cons are not exactly representative of meritocratic-capitalist societies. They are motivated by other tenants that are irrelevant to the discussion. Just like how the communists dogmatically facilitating a worker revolution via subversion and force, is separate from socialist societies.

  16. #91
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    23-02-15
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    893
    Points
    13,460
    Level
    35
    Points: 13,460, Level: 35
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 22.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

    Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic
    Country: Netherlands



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    Let's keep things dispassionate here, so we can focus on the main issue.

    "I'm just what critical about that.....meritocracy must not lead to a class divide along iq."

    I think this is the main disconnect here, what you are saying is normative statement. It is a value judgement.

    What I am saying:

    "meritocratic-capitalist societies are optimal environments for genetically advantageous people."

    This is a positive statement; It is an acknowledgment of the facts of reality. People who are more capable will thrive in place where they are allowed to. Thus, there will surely be class divide in meritocratic societies, because higher IQs will surpass lower IQs.

    Now, if I were to make a normative statement, I think higher IQ people deserve to thrive, over lower IQ people.

    I'm not convinced that taxing wealth to facilitate the lives of less capable people is something that I should support, or is good for society. Scarcity of resources is ultimately the source of conflict, and will always create a situation of haves and have-nots.

    The "nation building" policies of Neo-Cons are not exactly representative of meritocratic-capitalist societies. They are motivated by other tenants that are irrelevant to the discussion. Just like how the communists dogmatically facilitating a worker revolution via subversion and force, is separate from socialist societies.
    May I feel free to see this as normative too and not something what is absolute!?

    My idea in this respect:

    But on topic I'm convinced that a better quality of life, a good acces to public services (like schools but also hospitals) that are of excellent quality provides the best conditions for raising creativity and making use of the iq we seem to have inherited from our parents!
    That's what the philosopher Berlin called positive freedom!

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_liberty

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaiah_Berlin#"Two_Concepts_of_Liberty"

  17. #92
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    23-02-15
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    893
    Points
    13,460
    Level
    35
    Points: 13,460, Level: 35
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 22.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

    Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic
    Country: Netherlands



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    Let's keep things dispassionate here, so we can focus on the main issue.

    Your statement:

    "meritocracy must not lead to a class divide along iq."

    I think this is the main disconnect here, what you are saying is normative statement. It is a value judgement.

    What I am saying:

    "meritocratic-capitalist societies are optimal environments for genetically advantageous people."

    This is a positive statement; It is an acknowledgment of the facts of reality. People who are more capable will thrive in place where they are allowed to. Thus, there will surely be class divide in meritocratic societies, because higher IQs will surpass lower IQs. To suggest that lower IQ people will do as well, or better than higher IQ people would be astonishing to say the least. But completely unbelievable.

    Now, if I were to make a normative statement, I think higher IQ people deserve to thrive, over lower IQ people.

    I'm not convinced that taxing wealth to facilitate the lives of less capable people is something that I should support, or is good for society. Scarcity of resources is ultimately the source of conflict, and will always create a situation of haves and have-nots.

    The "nation building" policies of Neo-Cons are not exactly representative of meritocratic-capitalist societies. They are motivated by other tenants that are irrelevant to the discussion. Just like how the communists dogmatically facilitating a worker revolution via subversion and force, is separate from socialist societies.
    Besides that when this is serious your conviction, IMO you must accept even a kind of civil war, the revolt from the Rust Belt area's in the US and Europe: the election of Trump and the Brexit are just preludes....

  18. #93
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    09-06-18
    Posts
    210
    Points
    6,629
    Level
    24
    Points: 6,629, Level: 24
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Catalan
    Country: Spain - Catalonia



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    Yes you are on Eupedia, but this thread is about academic success being linked to genes. The article states that people with genetic advantages are able utilize meritocratic systems to their advantage. Socialist societies are focused on engineering economic and social equity, via the state. Thus, socialist societies will have to stifle the people with the inherent ability to out perform their peers. Ergo, my statement is correct; that meritocratic-capitalist societies are optimal environments for genetically advantageous people.

    Personally, I would have no reason to support socialism, given my circumstances. However, even less fortunate people, who do have the inherent ability to achieve great success are smart enough, and hungry enough to advance their lives. At any rate, life is not fair, no matter how much central planning goes into governance. Some will succeed, and some will not; that is the natural order of things. But it is bad for humanity to hobble the most talented and gifted for a futile cause, which is how I see it.
    I am libertarian, so anti-Socialist, but my view is the opposite: simplistic arguments that the winners deserve so are the first path towards autocracy. Some people that success will have merit, others not. Difficult to know. Impossible to know. But if start allowing the government to rank people on a test (which is a natural thing to do if we believe IQ tests measure "real" merit), we are on the wrong path of freedom.

  19. #94
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    09-06-18
    Posts
    210
    Points
    6,629
    Level
    24
    Points: 6,629, Level: 24
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Catalan
    Country: Spain - Catalonia



    I am libertarian, so anti-Socialist, but my view is the opposite: simplistic arguments that the winners deserve so are the first path towards autocracy. Some people that success will have merit, others not. Difficult to know. Impossible to know. It could be the people with more merit win. Or it could be the most psycopaths. Or something different. In the end, who wins is who wins, nothing more, nothing less. But if start allowing the government to rank people on a test (which is a natural thing to do if we believe IQ tests measure "real" merit), we are on the wrong path of freedom.

  20. #95
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    23-02-15
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    893
    Points
    13,460
    Level
    35
    Points: 13,460, Level: 35
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 22.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

    Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic
    Country: Netherlands



    Short:

    When iq is mostly inherited and iq is the basis of a meritocracy....than meritocracy is not based on merit, or achievement, but on an inherited talent.

    Inherit is a gift, not a merit!

  21. #96
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,887
    Points
    157,762
    Level
    100
    Points: 157,762, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.2%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Northener View Post
    Short:

    When iq is mostly inherited and iq is the basis of a meritocracy....than meritocracy is not based on merit, or achievement, but on an inherited talent.

    Inherit is a gift, not a merit!
    No, a society based on merit, is based on merit, obviously!

    I think you need to read again. High IQ people have a greater the ability to surpass lower IQs in a society that is based on merit, that is just obvious... Thus, a society that is based on merit will likely have class divisions. Socialist societies ultimately need to suppressing the success of high IQ people, because you think someone with an IQ of 80 should be in the same class of someone with an IQ of 140. So ultimately, that will lead to a society of dullards.

    Not everyone is going to make it. Even when you adjust the odds, stupid people will eventually fail. But what is worse is that you will stultify capable people, by diminishing their incentives to rise above; who would otherwise lift-up the society around them. But at least in a meritocratic-capitalist society, there is a more likely chance that those with the capability will rise above. Instead of watering down the requirements, and ultimately leading to a Chernobyl disaster-like situation of people too inept to do the tasks they are assigned.

  22. #97
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,887
    Points
    157,762
    Level
    100
    Points: 157,762, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.2%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Farstar View Post
    I am libertarian, so anti-Socialist, but my view is the opposite: simplistic arguments that the winners deserve so are the first path towards autocracy. Some people that success will have merit, others not. Difficult to know. Impossible to know. It could be the people with more merit win. Or it could be the most psycopaths. Or something different. In the end, who wins is who wins, nothing more, nothing less. But if start allowing the government to rank people on a test (which is a natural thing to do if we believe IQ tests measure "real" merit), we are on the wrong path of freedom.
    That is a straw-man argument, from out of left field. Did anyone say that the government should rank people, and award them based on that? People with Higher IQs will likely earn the merit they deserve. Thus they will rise above the chaff (i.e. lower-IQs), and that will ultimately create class division. Unless of course, government intervention stops that. Which is basically what democrats are doing in our education system here in the US. Its called grade inflation.

  23. #98
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    23-02-15
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    893
    Points
    13,460
    Level
    35
    Points: 13,460, Level: 35
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 22.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

    Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic
    Country: Netherlands



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    No, a society based on merit, is based on merit, obviously!

    I think you need to read again. High IQ people have a greater the ability to surpass lower IQs in a society that is based on merit, that is just obvious... Thus, a society that is based on merit will likely have class divisions. Socialist societies ultimately need to suppressing the success of high IQ people, because you think someone with an IQ of 80 should be in the same class of someone with an IQ of 140. So ultimately, that will lead to a society of dullards.

    Not everyone is going to make it. Even when you adjust the odds, stupid people will eventually fail. But what is worse is that you will stultify capable people, by diminishing their incentives to rise above; who would otherwise lift-up the society around them. But at least in a meritocratic-capitalist society, there is a more likely chance that those with the capability will rise above. Instead of watering down the requirements, and ultimately leading to a Chernobyl disaster-like situation of people too inept to do the tasks they are assigned.
    No because people with high IQ have high cognitive abilities that is not always combined with an achiever attitude (in social affairs).
    I know people with a high IQ but with low capacities to 'surpass' (as you name it) people with lower IQ. Mister Spock is not always the chief in the world Jovialis....if you regret it or not in....but no society either capitalist, communist, meritocratic, is high IQ alone enough to be a social achiever!

  24. #99
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    23-02-15
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    893
    Points
    13,460
    Level
    35
    Points: 13,460, Level: 35
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 22.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

    Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic
    Country: Netherlands



    Breaking thought. I must correct myself I see that some claim that Trump has an IQ of 156 (99,99% of the world scores lower).....indeed in a meritocratic society the people with the highest position have always the highest IQ.....how could I overlook such a prove!

    https://www.salon.com/2019/12/30/pre...nimum_partner/


  25. #100
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    17,856
    Points
    389,370
    Level
    100
    Points: 389,370, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    I didn't want to return to this topic, but I want to make something crystal clear.

    I do believe that a good portion of what people achieve is the result of inherited capabilities of all kinds. So, not genetic determinism, but certainly scales weighted by genetics. That's evolutionary genetics at work. For me, it's a fact.

    Do I think it's fair? No, I absolutely don't, but life is never, ever fair. Do I wish it were different? Yes, I absolutely do. Facts are sometimes extremely unpalatable.

    I'll point to one example with which I'm deeply familiar: the judicial system. One reason I got out of criminal law is because it became increasingly clear to me that while certain people clearly had to be incarcerated for the good of the community as a whole, their propensity to crime had a great deal to do with factors beyond their control, including low IQ, mental health disorders of one kind or another, and horrific rearing situations. All you have to do to realize that is to look at statistics on prison populations. The number of high intelligence, well adjusted people without mental health issues is a small percentage of that population, and usually to be found in the prisons mostly for white collar criminals. As for the inmates in the "hard core" prisons, which house the vast majority of inmates, it's a completely different story, and, to make the situation even more horrific, for them and for society as a whole, I didn't and don't see any way to "rehabilitate" them. I have little hope that any of them can be rehabilitated.

    What, however, is the solution, in terms of economic and political systems? What system will create the greatest good for the greatest number?

    To me, it's beyond clear that given human nature, which is again "baked" into our dna, imo, capable people will not perform optimally if there is not a commensurate reward for their efforts. If they get paid X for their hard work, but a lazy or just not as capable person gets paid the same X, they'll slack off. Total production will go down.

    Therefore, from my perspective, a capitalist system produces the most goods and services overall. Just look at the most "strict" Marxist/Socialist countries, like the old Soviet Union, the old Eastern Bloc countries, Cuba, Venezuela, to mention just a few. They just didn't and don't work economically, and everyone suffers economically.

    What, however, to do about the portion of the population which just "isn't" capable, for cognitive, mental health reasons etc. If anyone thinks I'm a social Darwinian who believes, well, let them just sink, you don't know me. I think it's tragic. Of course I don't want anyone to starve or die for lack of medical attention. Out of sheer compassion for our fellow human beings, there has to be a "safety net" to protect them. It can't, however, be so equalizing that the producers stop producing, because then there is nothing, or at least far less, for everyone to share.

    What is the solution, however? I can tell you that this country has spent trillions trying to raise our "underclass" out of poverty, and trying to increase their performance cognitively. It just DOESN'T work. That's the reality that the far leftist wing of people in this country just won't or can't accept. It's not a plot to keep these people down. It's not racial discrimination anymore, or lack of opportunity for people growing up poor white in rural Appalachia. It's genetics.

    In the Europe of the past, with its more homogeneous populations, providing a higher standard of living for the bottom percentage of the population, in effect gifting it to them, was doable without destroying the economy because there were just fewer of them. From what I can see, with the growth of that "less capable" part of the population in these countries, attitudes are changing. It's natural, and, human nature again. It doesn't take a math genius to realize that these social welfare programs are starting to overstrain the system. You can't spend more money on social services when less money is coming in because the number of producers is going down.

    The extraordinary thing to me is that, given the size of our underclass, much larger than that in any European country, we've been able to do as much as we have. However the media may portray things, there is a "safety net" in the U.S., even if the benefits of the social service programs is not as good as in Europe. No one with the intelligence and mental health to apply for social services will starve, or lack housing, or even lack medical care, because, in the latter case, they either go on Medicaid or go to emergency rooms which are not allowed to turn them away. It's the "working poor" who have to be taken care of in terms of medical care.

    What really worries me is that given a very near future when machines will take away virtually not only most manual labor, but computers will take away most lower level white collar work, the proportion of the population which isn't "capable" enough to function optimally in society will be ever smaller.

    I can't see a long term solution other than genetic engineering, which would in effect be the disproportionately allocated high IQ people figuring out a way to even the playing field genetically for low IQ impaired people.

    One other point: I believe Marxism is inherently anti-democratic and fascistic, as well as completely wrong about economics. I know of no strictly socialist country which ever had either a thriving economy or a society which respected human rights. I don't trust people who espouse Marxist ideology, and I don't want them in control of my country. I've heard what they plan from their own mouths as far back as the late 70s. That's when they don't know there are recording devices around, of course. Nor can I stomach the "WOKE" mentality which is part of the package.



    Now, I really am out.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •