Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: King Richard III

  1. #1
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    28-05-18
    Posts
    66
    Points
    1,198
    Level
    9
    Points: 1,198, Level: 9
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 1.0%


    Country: Turkey



    King Richard III

    what is Richard III branch of G2a? could G2a3b1a?


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_III

  2. #2
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,482
    Points
    232,948
    Level
    100
    Points: 232,948, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    The original Turi King article just said G2a-P278. However, the supplement provides all the STR data and snp data. Someone knowledgeable could make a run at it.

    https://media.nature.com/original/na...mms6631-s1.pdf

    As for the mtDna it seems to be rock solid. There's also some indication that the mutation is particular to them. So, if you share it, you're related. Not bad, being related to Cecily Neville.

    From FTDNA:
    Our King Richard III project (mtDNA J1c2c3) has reached a significant milestone with the publication of our work in England. 13 of the 20 perfect matches in the world are in FTDNA.

    The paper is available at: http://www.qualifiedgenealogists.org...rticle/view/32

    This brings the project to a level of National and International interest while, at the same time, the local genealogy (NE North Carolina and SE Virginia) has new paths to explore.

    The project results (some going beyond this first paper) are significant and include:

    1. An overwhelming piece of evidence for the bones of King Richard III
    2. J1c2c3 may have been born in England in the Plantagenet Family
    3. Why there are no J1c2c3 matches in Europe
    4. All living J1c2c3 people are likely to be related to the immediate family of King Richard III
    5. The DNA ancestry of the United States is heavily weighted to the Jamestown settlement and the Plantagenets.

    These 5 points are discussed in another research paper at:
    http://www.historysoft.com/richard3/J1c2c3_points.pdf


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  3. #3
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    28-05-18
    Posts
    66
    Points
    1,198
    Level
    9
    Points: 1,198, Level: 9
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 1.0%


    Country: Turkey



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    The original Turi King article just said G2a-P278. However, the supplement provides all the STR data and snp data. Someone knowledgeable could make a run at it.

    https://media.nature.com/original/na...mms6631-s1.pdf

    As for the mtDna it seems to be rock solid. There's also some indication that the mutation is particular to them. So, if you share it, you're related. Not bad, being related to Cecily Neville.

    From FTDNA:
    Our King Richard III project (mtDNA J1c2c3) has reached a significant milestone with the publication of our work in England. 13 of the 20 perfect matches in the world are in FTDNA.

    The paper is available at: http://www.qualifiedgenealogists.org...rticle/view/32

    This brings the project to a level of National and International interest while, at the same time, the local genealogy (NE North Carolina and SE Virginia) has new paths to explore.

    The project results (some going beyond this first paper) are significant and include:

    1. An overwhelming piece of evidence for the bones of King Richard III
    2. J1c2c3 may have been born in England in the Plantagenet Family
    3. Why there are no J1c2c3 matches in Europe
    4. All living J1c2c3 people are likely to be related to the immediate family of King Richard III
    5. The DNA ancestry of the United States is heavily weighted to the Jamestown settlement and the Plantagenets.

    These 5 points are discussed in another research paper at:
    http://www.historysoft.com/richard3/J1c2c3_points.pdf
    G2a3b1a is more common in european than other branch of G2a.

  4. #4
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,482
    Points
    232,948
    Level
    100
    Points: 232,948, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by kmak View Post
    G2a3b1a is more common in european than other branch of G2a.
    Well, that's hardly proof. Remember also that the line was established by Geoffrey of Anjou, an area where other types of G might not be so uncommon.

    Regardless, if you're so interested, you should get someone to run the strs and see if something more resolved can be suggested.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    12-03-14
    Posts
    397
    Points
    8,189
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,189, Level: 27
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 17.0%


    Country: Italy



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Well, that's hardly proof. Remember also that the line was established by Geoffrey of Anjou, an area where other types of G might not be so uncommon.

    Regardless, if you're so interested, you should get someone to run the strs and see if something more resolved can be suggested.
    Angela, I can't see the paper now. Could you please post his STR markers? I can try to do a prediction later, in my free time.

  6. #6
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,482
    Points
    232,948
    Level
    100
    Points: 232,948, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    It's published right in the pdf, page 3:

    https://media.nature.com/original/na...mms6631-s1.pdf

  7. #7
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    12-03-14
    Posts
    397
    Points
    8,189
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,189, Level: 27
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 17.0%


    Country: Italy



    @Angel
    Thanks.
    It's a tough one. Unfortunately, we don't have his result for DYS388, which would be a good evidence for or against G-L497, the most common in UK. About 96/97% of the G-L497s have the DYS388=13, and about 96/97% of the G men non-G-L497 have a different result for DYS388. The following source says his results are closest to some G-U1's, but that G-M406 would be also a possibility:
    https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/g-u1/about/news (see 05 December 2014)
    I didn't have access to G-M406 results, then I couldn't compare them, but I agree G-U1 is a good possibility. However, imo, G-L497 itself is also a possibility, and I'd say there is a tiny chance even of G-PF3147. So, still imo, his published STR results are far from conclusive. A BAM file would help.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    25-02-10
    Posts
    136
    Points
    9,938
    Level
    29
    Points: 9,938, Level: 29
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 2.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a1a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c1

    Ethnic group
    Appalachian American
    Country: USA - West Virginia



    I know the original post was regarding Richard III's y-dna haplogroup, but his mtDNA subclade being so rare is interesting. Richard III's earliest known maternal ancestor was Katherine Swynford, born to a herald who should have done a better job recording his wife's genealogy. Katherine was likely born in Belgium, the province of Hainaut.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    28-05-18
    Posts
    66
    Points
    1,198
    Level
    9
    Points: 1,198, Level: 9
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 1.0%


    Country: Turkey



    ...........

  10. #10
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    28-05-18
    Posts
    66
    Points
    1,198
    Level
    9
    Points: 1,198, Level: 9
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 1.0%


    Country: Turkey



    what is the result? g2a3b1a?

  11. #11
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    12-03-14
    Posts
    397
    Points
    8,189
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,189, Level: 27
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 17.0%


    Country: Italy



    Quote Originally Posted by Regio X View Post
    A BAM file would help.
    It's coming soon.

    Not sure it'll provide clues regarding the legitimacy of the line. Let's see.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registeredTagger Second Class500 Experience Points
    Venko2257's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-12-18
    Posts
    49
    Points
    599
    Level
    6
    Points: 599, Level: 6
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Overall activity: 11.0%


    Ethnic group
    Bulgarian
    Country: Bulgaria



    All things considered, it is much more likely for the present Duke of Beaufort to be illegitimate than King Richard III himself. I suppose digging up old bodies isn't really an option, is it?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •