Interesting Maps and Graphs

Spanish autosomal structure.

The drift because of political boundaries seems to have an effect.

57Tbzny.png
yPtEJEu.png

Source:
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2018/03/12/250191.full.pdf

Another interesting one: signal of North Moroccan ancestry:
JV0zC9U.png

Mean number of children by race and political ideology among Americans.

isrMTlC.png

Male androgenic body hair map...The more SSA, the more East Asian, the most Amerindian, the less body hair? Why do Swedes and Norwegians have more than Slavs? A bit more "Siberian"?

Bodyhair_map_according_to_American_Journal_of_Physical_Anthropology_and_other_sources.jpg

Male androgenic body hair map...The more SSA, the more East Asian, the most Amerindian, the less body hair? Why do Swedes and Norwegians have more than Slavs? A bit more "Siberian"?
Bodyhair_map_according_to_American_Journal_of_Physical_Anthropology_and_other_sources.jpg

True, I don't really need to shave much. Then again, this map is only for male? :LOL:

Percentages of support for an EU Army. Interesting.

DyA4Zgf.png

Even in Scandinavian social welfare states, fertility rates continue to fall. They're in Italian territory now.

EFJhvOP.png
Percentage of credit card debt by country.. No surprises. Contrary to stereotype, Italians are very conservative about money. Great savers too.

Q4IF6JV.png

Last edited:
Percentage of credit card debt by country.. No surprises, contrary to stereotype, nobody is more conservative than Italians about money. Great savers too.

Q4IF6JV.png

Indeed, and in the North Eastern, US, I feel this is common knowledge. Italians are frugal, own lots of property, and businesses. Moreover, they live in some of the best neighborhoods in the entire country. They've done far better for themselves, than the majority of other immigrant groups in the USA imo. My friend who is a banker (also Italian), says it is mostly Italian-Americans, and Irish-Americans who are his colleagues.

Indeed, and in the North Eastern, US, I feel this is common knowledge. Italians are frugal, own lots of property, and businesses. Moreover, they live in some of the best neighborhoods in the entire country. They've done far better for themselves, than the majority of other immigrant groups in the USA imo. My friend who is a banker (also Italian), says it is mostly Italian-Americans, and Irish-Americans who are his colleagues.

I was thinking about the fact that Italians are known to spend a lot on food, to be generous hosts, to like to go out and have a good time, to dress well etc. In Europe there's a perception that Italians are a bit spendthrift. One of my Croatian friends would tell stories of the differing patterns of spending money on vacation of Italians versus Germans on her Adriatic island. She said the Germans would apportion out the money at the beginning: so much for each day, for food, for entertainment etc., and also would do a lot of cooking in their lodgings etc. and stay longer. The Italians would go out more, take advantage of all the sites, entertain each other, and when the money was gone, go home.

The operative fact for this discussion is that when the money they had allotted for the vacation was gone they went home; they didn't use a credit card to stay longer.

It's just that most Italians would never be cheap with a guest, or a family member, or on food for their families. The economies take place elsewhere. Yes, they want to dress well, so they buy a few good pieces, and know how to accessorize. That's of course a generality, and a generality more true the further south you go in Italy. I regret to say that some of my father's Emilian relatives were pretty tight fisted even with family and guests, and Ligurians are perhaps even more stereotypically cheap than Emilians. My father's relatives were thrilled when he married my mother with her Ligurian frugality about money, because my father, contrary to most of his family, was indeed born with "holes in his hands" as the saying goes.

They also don't gamble with their money, by and large, investing in "safe" things like real property, apartment buildings being a popular one, or bonds, or safe blue chip stocks. This ties in with other studies showing they're very risk averse, and distrustful of what the future might bring. Part of that is genetic, I think, and part of it their history.

Suicide rates by country. I don't get some of this. Why do people in South Korea have such high rates, even higher than Japan? The Italian percentage is really low, yet all they do is complain about their country, their lives etc. (Not that they don't have some reasons to complain.) Countries like Norway and Germany, where many more people claim to be happy have higher rates. In those countries are you just expected to say you're happy and everything is fine even when it's not? Do Italians just like to complain, or is complaining cathartic? It sure doesn't correlate with wealth.

7y6bfuF.png
[/IMG]

Percentage of people by country who think most people are trustworthy.

Within Italy I'm pretty sure there's a cline.

Personally I think the people in some countries are incredibly naive.

faEDBwm.png
[/IMG]

Percentage of people by country who think most people are trustworthy.

Within Italy I'm pretty sure there's a cline.

Personally I think the people in some countries are incredibly naive.

faEDBwm.png
[/IMG]

My hunch is that the degree of trust people place in others directly depends on how trustworthy they know/feel themselves to be.

I remember back in college, when we were learning about Machiavelli, who considered most people untrustworthy. I said to myself, "Wow, my father tells me the same thing!". :LOL:

I agree, people need to earn trust.

Even then, if the stakes are high enough, the number of people you can trust will be very few.

People act in their own self-interest when the chips are down. Imo, anyone who believes otherwise is naive.

My hunch is that the degree of trust people place in others directly depends on how trustworthy they know/feel themselves to be.

That's not how it is with me. I used to be a very trusting young woman. The passage of time, experience, but more than anything, twenty years in courthouses disabused me of that idea.

Some reading of history is informative too. Your country lived through an occupation, as did mine. How many people collaborated for gain? How many anonymous denunciations? How many were willing to risk their own jobs, livelihoods, out of loyalty to their friends?

Even in much less extreme conditions, like the corporate workplace, an enormous amount of back stabbing and other unsavory behavior is going on. How do a lot of families behave when the reading of the will doesn't go their way, how many things disappear before the will is even read? How many false accusations are made in divorce proceedings? Indeed, how many times are vows of undying love and fidelity broken? If companies weren't afraid of getting caught, how fairly would they operate? How safe would their products be?

As I said, maybe you have to see it over and over again to realize the pervasiveness of it.

Of course, there are people who aren't like that, but it's hard figuring out who they are.

That's not how it is with me. I used to be a very trusting young woman.

That's what I meant.

"Un cœur noble ne peut soupçonner en autrui
La bassesse et la malice qu’il ne sent point en lui." (Jean Racine)

A noble heart cannot suspect in others
The baseness and guile it can't feel in itself.

It takes time, and a number of betrayals, before we grow prudent. We tend to expect from others as much as we are prepared to give.

If you look at the map again, you'll see the degree of trust is highest in those Protestant, "rigorous-minded" northern countries, where people don't run traffic-lights and stop signs, where they report dog-owners for failing to remove a turd from the sidewalk, etc... They expect a certain type of behavior, and are prepared to bank on it.

Sticking to codes is part and parcel of their cultural package. It applies to social and interpersonal conduct.

You are very wrong. North Europeans are statistically more likely to cheat than, for example, Italians. They are shrewder in general I would say. It's obvious if you have experience with innternational sales.

See this comparison of Danes and Italians:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/62eb/759a0b5079486771fa960ca140de6de783c4.pdf

Danes are more likely than Italians to evade taxes, but at the same time also more like to condemn tax evasion in others. This is no surprise to me.

Thanks @hrvclv for pointing out where to find the Suckers.
But I doubt you’re right.
I disagree with the Stereotype reasoning and generalization.

This thread has been viewed 86829 times.

Back