Interesting Maps and Graphs

You are very wrong. North Europeans are statistically more likely to cheat than, for example, Italians. They are shrewder in general I would say. It's obvious if you have experience with innternational sales.

See this comparison of Danes and Italians:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/62eb/759a0b5079486771fa960ca140de6de783c4.pdf

Danes are more likely than Italians to evade taxes, but at the same time also more like to condemn tax evasion in others. This is no surprise to me.

I may be wrong. But in what you wrote, the operative words seem to me to be "statistically" and "likely to". The temptation may be there, as it is in every human being. But the hard facts speak for themselves: they are tempted to cheat... but they don't.

I didn't go through the 52 pages of the paper you refer to, but it seems to measure temptation rather than actual cheating. It also compares Italian students (virtual taxpayers) against Danish workers (actual taxpayers), which largely discredts whatever conclusions it claims to arrive at.

@Salento: with a "trust rate" at 27% in my country, I wouldn't even think of pointing an accusing finger at "suckers", whether Italian or Danish.

I think some peoples may just be better at being hypocrites than others, or maybe a lot of them are just, as Salento said, oblivious, and therefore "suckers". A very famous American businessman, P.T. Barnum, who created a huge and successful circus, said, "A ******'s born every minute, and two to fleece him."

I had to learn the hard way that most people don't share my values or morals, and also, as I said, my work life involved seeing the "underbelly" of human relations, the part of their lives that people usually hide.

I've lived most of my life here in America, and mostly among Americans of predominantly northern European extraction, and I don't see them at all as more "honest" than, say, Americans of Italian or Jewish ancestry. The worst fleecing I ever got was from a southern gentleman complete with charm and a lovely drawl. :)

I don't care if my friends cross the road in the middle of the block instead of at the crossing zone. Those aren't the measures I'm looking at.

Maybe I'm wrong, but one of the things that I've always liked about the French is that they've seemed to me clear eyed and honest about human nature.

I suppose hypocrisy is one of the things I object to the most.

I may be wrong. But in what you wrote, the operative words seem to me to be "statistically" and "likely to". The temptation may be there, as it is in every human being. But the hard facts speak for themselves: they are tempted to cheat... but they don't.

I didn't go through the 52 pages of the paper you refer to, but it seems to measure temptation rather than actual cheating. It also compares Italian students (virtual taxpayers) against Danish workers (actual taxpayers), which largely discredts whatever conclusions it claims to arrive at.

@Salento: with a "trust rate" at 27% in my country, I wouldn't even think of pointing an accusing finger at "suckers", whether Italian or Danish.

The Italian sample has more fully employed/self-employed subjects.

As predicted, the answers to the postexperimental questionnaire revealed that Italians were more likely to tolerate tax evasion thanDanes. However, in the tax-compliance experiment—where subjects faced a transparent taxsystem, efficient redistributive regime and unambiguous audit rates and penalties—Italians wereless likely to be evaders than Danes and, among those classified as evaders, Italians evaded by alower amount than Danes.

@hrvclv You're the one who pointed the finger by praising the Nordic “Rigorous Minded” Protestant populations. Whatever that means.

@hrvclv You're the one who pointed the finger by praising to the Nordic “Rigorous Minded” Protestant populations. Whatever that means.

Who were the more likely to support Hitler and the Nazis, by the way.

The Germans didn't even try to build a death camp on Italian soil, but they built them a plenty in northern and eastern Europe.

In the immortal words of one German general: "We can't tell the Italians about the death camps. They'd never stomach it." Of course, the Nazis weren't breaking any laws in setting the Holocaust into motion and implementing it, or the death of the gypsies and Poles, or when they killed 10 innocent Italians during the War for every German killed. They conveniently changed the laws to allow it all before they started.

I don't care if my friends cross the road in the middle of the block instead of at the crossing zone. Those aren't the measures I'm looking at.

Of course my reference to traffic-lights was meant as illustrative of an attitude, not as anything laudable in itself - as I am sure you understood. I have never set a foot in Scandinavia, but I have spent some time in Germany. I do not cultivate stereotypes per se, but I could see for myself their devotion to order and efficiency. To be honest, as a Frenchman, lacking in discipline, I ended up finding it a bit stifling over time, which unmistakably tells you there is something beyond the stereotype.

What I meant above was that in some countries there is a form of social pressure, and a more acute concern for one's public image, that dissuade you from acting up as freely as you would elsewhere. (I never felt any such pressure in the US, by the way, or if at all, in a much milder form).

Maybe I'm wrong, but one of the things that I've always liked about the French is that they've seemed to me clear eyed and honest about human nature.

Well... we are known to be a bit blunt (some say, rude) at times. I am not at all sure that bluntness should be mistaken for honesty. I don't have to think long to spot a few first-class hypocrites in my entourage.

@hrvclv You're the one who pointed the finger by praising the Nordic “Rigorous Minded” Protestant populations. Whatever that means.

You seem to have misinterpreted my words, and intentions. I described an attitude, which I have witnessed and experienced. It was not in any way meant to praise or disparage anything or anyone. In my previous post above, I refer to the said attitude as "a bit stifling", which is not exactly a eulogy.

This said, there are plenty of things I admire about the Germans, and their sense of organization is certainly one of them. Their achievements in economic terms are proof enough of that. They are certainly hard-working and efficient, which virtues I do praise and respect. And I can't think why I couldn't state so much without running the risk of being indicted for nordicism. The good old days of witch hunts are over. Give us a break!

I also admire the ancient Romans, and the ancient Greeks, which probably makes me a militaristic, fascistic, would-be slave-holder. I love the English, which makes me a colonialist-empirialist dog. And so on. Do we have to beg for permission from the right-thinking authorities before we can risk a comment on this forum?

@hrvclv If I misunderstood is because you weren’t clear, and you initially failed to communicate your concept properly. :)
You have explained better in later posts.

Of course my reference to traffic-lights was meant as illustrative of an attitude, not as anything laudable in itself - as I am sure you understood. I have never set a foot in Scandinavia, but I have spent some time in Germany. I do not cultivate stereotypes per se, but I could see for myself their devotion to order and efficiency. To be honest, as a Frenchman, lacking in discipline, I ended up finding it a bit stifling over time, which unmistakably tells you there is something beyond the stereotype.

What I meant above was that in some countries there is a form of social pressure, and a more acute concern for one's public image, that dissuade you from acting up as freely as you would elsewhere. (I never felt any such pressure in the US, by the way, or if at all, in a much milder form).

Well... we are known to be a bit blunt (some say, rude) at times. I am not at all sure that bluntness should be mistaken for honesty. I don't have to think long to spot a few first-class hypocrites in my entourage.
I would feel the same as you! As an example, there's a stop sign just down my road that I almost always speed by without stopping if I don't see any traffic condition that would make it dangerous not to stop (or a police officer). I will gladly break the "code" if nobody (including myself) ends up hurting in any way shape or form

Witchcraft trials as percent of population:

I guess it makes sense to me now that I never really understood this whole "cultural" manifestation. The witch, male or female, is rather a respected figure in our folklore, and there are still a few hold outs who believe in it and go to them. I remember reading about the Salem witch trials and being appalled at these tales of sexual acitivity with the devil etc.

k1gBkLU.png

Correlation between height and Yamnaya ancestry.

YmClrie.png
[/IMG]

I think it's fine in general, but I would quibble with the placement of the French and the English. I don't know where they got their data. Or maybe it's because I'm think of the Irish and the Welsh, who aren't very tall.

Where cows live in Europe.

DTyFCMF.png
[/IMG]

Homicides by country worldwide:
image.jpg

Well, Mexico is obvious. How drugs ruined an entire country.

I would bet a lot of the rest are fueled by alcohol.

What we do to ourselves....

European GDP by region. That strip of prosperity down the middle of Europe from Scandinavia through Toscana has been in place for a long time. I don't pretend to understand it.

I can tell you why La Spezia gets a red color: we've been inundated by Moroccans, as well as others, who have no marketable skills, and we're too small a city to support it.

9sDKZ4O.png

Intermarriage rates in the U.S. Once again, Hollywood is not reality.

Q5RQxAn.png

Last edited:
No of cigarettes per person per year worldwide.

I'm convinced the numbers are as low as that for Italy because fewer women smoke there than in other countries. Italian men smoke like chimneys.

780VMMc)

2v9aiv6.jpg

2m53MuE

kB6WLik

Intermarriage rates in the U.S. Once again, Hollywood is not reality.

Q5RQxAn.png
strange graphic. why are certain groups nationalities while others are "race"? and "white" means "caucasian" in america right?

how many earths do we need if all people live like those in these countries. which countries have a score of 1? maybe we should start to live like them? maybe namibia looks like a candidate.
Infogrpahic-Pub-Data-Circle-v3.png

This thread has been viewed 86830 times.

Back