Interesting Maps and Graphs

Because of fast food and other poor eating habits.

I suppose. I use to see Scottish pipebands coming to my town every year, and I saw a relatively brutal change in body weight and volume since, I would say, fifteen to twenty years. Todate, it's less evident among Irish people, but I fear it could change about some years. I have no proof since I go no more in the Isles, but I suppose it's the result of an americanisation of the food consomption. Not only the stuff, but the way to absorb it: hours and frequence or irregularity?

Interesting map of the languages of Europe:

tT68UYG.png

Yeah, I thought so too. I can't quite see the Ticino Italian in Switzerland either.

Personally I agree with this map, which shows the isolation of the South American countries due to geography. As a Uruguayan, I consider Argentina and Brazil to be my immediate neighbors (with Argentina having an intense socio-cultural relationship, with Brazil, a relationship less due to the cultural and idiomatic difference). Farthest neighbors are Paraguay and Chile, and very distant relations with Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador,Colombia and Venezuela (with the latter country, relations have increased in recent years due to the ideological closeness of our left-wing governments in recent years and the Chavista regime, and by the intense Venezuelan immigration that we have received). Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean? ... almost another planet ....and the Guianas do not exist for us ...

Personally I agree with this map, which shows the isolation of the South American countries due to geography. As a Uruguayan, I consider Argentina and Brazil to be my immediate neighbors (with Argentina having an intense socio-cultural relationship, with Brazil, a relationship less due to the cultural and idiomatic difference). Farthest neighbors are Paraguay and Chile, and very distant relations with Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador,Colombia and Venezuela (with the latter country, relations have increased in recent years due to the ideological closeness of our left-wing governments in recent years and the Chavista regime, and by the intense Venezuelan immigration that we have received). Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean? ... almost another planet ....and the Guianas do not exist for us ...

I never quite realized how much the Amazon isolated the different parts of South America; an eye-opening map.

I never quite realized how much the Amazon isolated the different parts of South America; an eye-opening map.

From Uruguay you can travel by regular bus service to Buenos Aires (Argentina), Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), Asuncion (Paraguay), Santiago (Chile), and obviously, other cities near these destinations. You can travel to Bahia (northeast of Brazil) or to the south of Argentina on tourist trips. But traveling by land to the rest of the South American countries ... is for lovers of adventure tourism. And until a few years ago, even the air connection was difficult ... I remember that the Uruguayan soccer team, to play matches in Colombia, had to stopover ... in Miami ...

All this also helps to understand why in the countries of the South American Atlantic facade (and also in Chile), we have the European countries as a cultural reference. Mexico, the Central American and Caribbean countries, and also the northern sector of South America, look towards the United States ...

Heh, and they tell us all this stuff about the Amazon shrinking to almost nothing. It's still a significant boundary, although there are cities out there like Manaus and stuff. Another boundary to consider is the Andes Mountain range itself. Anyway I get the impression Argentina, Uruguay, and southern Brazil have a lot culturally in common due to more recent European immigration.

I was born in the Lunigiana, and half my ancestry comes from there and La Spezia at the mouth of the river. I have a huge poster of this map on my family room wall, as well as pictures I took myself of my natal village and that of my mother and of La Spezia as well. I offered to do the same for my husband, but he doesn't have the same attachment, as for him it's grandparents and great-grandparents. That's the way with migration, I suppose.

3D%20Map%20of%20Lunigiana%20-%20Annotated%20-%20700.jpg

bagnone-10.jpg

547Vj5m.jpg

As someone who loves to eat, I am envious!

Thankfully, I've had a fast metabolism in my life.
Aside from his breakfast, the low protein levels of lunch and dinner surprise me.
I get that he probably has the munchies at night, but how about some fish?

This thread has been viewed 86827 times.

Back