Late Pleistocene genome suggests a local origin for the first farmers from Anatolia

Cool, Y-DNA C1a2, mtDNA K2b and a Venus figurine. I would be very surprised if this HG didn't have a bunch of rather recent ancestors who came from Europe. Most likely the eastern part of Europe.

Moesan, see post number 12. It isn't "rejected", precisely. This is why I prefer to first provide quotes from the authors and not interpretations of what they're saying. They see two possibilities during the epipaleolithic period: unidirectional flow from Europe to Anatolia, or bidirectional flow between the two areas.

However, I'm unsure of where this stands given that a more recent paper found only 10% Basal Eurasian to speak of in the European farmers who were so similar to the Anatolian farmers.

See:
John A. Kamm et al:

"Efficiently inferring the demographic history of many populations with allele count data"
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2018/03/23/287268.full.pdf

"[FONT=&quot]The sample frequency spectrum (SFS), or histogram of allele counts, is an important summary statistic in evolutionary biology, and is often used to infer the history of population size changes, migrations, and other demographic events affecting a set of populations. The expected multipopulation SFS under a given demographic model can be efficiently computed when the populations in the model are related by a tree, scaling to hundreds of populations. Admixture, back-migration, and introgression are common natural processes that violate the assumption of a tree-like population history, however, and until now the expected SFS could be computed for only a handful of populations when the demographic history is not a tree. In this article, we present a new method for efficiently computing the expected SFS and linear functionals of it, for demographies described by general directed acyclic graphs. This method can scale to more populations than previously possible for complex demographic histories including admixture. We apply our method to an 8-population SFS to estimate the timing and strength of a proposed "basal Eurasian" admixture event in human history. We implement and release our method in a new open-source software package momi2."[/FONT]

Lazaridis responded to it on his twitter account, but perhaps these authors didn't see it?

"Iosif Lazaridis[FONT=&quot]@iosif_lazaridis Mar 23More

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A quick comment is that in Lazaridis et al. (2016) we present updated Basal Eurasian estimates for European farmers (Europe_EN) which is 23.9+/-3.8% (Table S4.9) which is closer to the 9.4% of the preprint than the original estimate for Stuttgart in the 2014 paper "

So, in March, it stood at 9.4% Basal Eurasian in EN versus 23.9%.

Lazaridis went on to say:
"osif Lazaridis
@iosif_lazaridis Mar 23More

Also, this estimate is subject to biases depending on whether EEF is really a mixture of just Basal Eurasian + WHG or it has additional non-Basal components (some of this is discussed in SI4). So, I don't feel strongly about the 23.9% number"

I love this guy, but perhaps because these are twitter comments, it's not clear to me how he feels about their method and their figure compared to his.

[/FONT]

This thread has been viewed 7801 times.

Back