E-L29 (M84) in Greece

Ermotimos

Reaction score
Hello, according to 23andme my paternal haplogroup is E-L29 which I've found also as M84. I'm from Evvia Greece. What is the origin of this haplogroup in Greece?

Hello, according to 23andme my paternal haplogroup is E-L29 which I've found also as M84. I'm from Evvia Greece. What is the origin of this haplogroup in Greece?
It comes from Neolithic Levant if you are original Greek. But also it could be Jewish or other if your people came lately to Greece. Read mmaciamo,s explanation about e1b1 in this forum if you want to know more

I don't know if this is any helpfull, but on the 23andme scientific details, where it shows the phylogenetic tree, the tree reaches E-L29 and if I clic on it two subclades appear, E-L29* and E-M136 without the line that leads to them highlighted. So, I probably don't carry these subclades right? Are these subclades characteristic markers for non neolithic, latter migrations or not? Is there a way to know whether my E-L29 is neolithic or latter?

Last edited:
M84 is estimated to be about 7,000 years old and therefore not very informative. If whole Y sequencing is too expensive for you I recommend the E1b-Z834 Panel through YSEQ.
Once you find a more downstream subclade then your research will be much more focused.

This thread has been viewed 7432 times.

Back