8. Israel
7. Lithuania
6. Netherlands
5. Belgium
4. Ireland
3. Great Britain
2. United States
1. Germany

I disagree with Ireland being on the list of our haters, but the rest seems partially correct.

(I think the author of the video confused Northern Ireland with Ireland)

I also disagree with Great Britain - from my experience, it is England, but not Scotland.

Edit:

In the video this guy said that Germans dislike Poland because they believe Poland caused WW2.

Well, I definitely did meet a few Germans who actually believe this.

But I doubt it is majority view. Only among some crazy revisionists.

Last edited:
On what is this based? The quality of diplomatic relations? Polls about people's view of Poland or of Polish people? These are three very different things.

I am surprised to see Lithuania as a disliker of Poland. I thought that the two countries had close relationships due to their shared historical and cultural heritage (that is what I heard from Lithuanian friends).

I think that most Belgian people have positive views of Polish people. Actually I would say that the large number of Polish workers in Belgium has improved the way people viewed Polish people as a whole as they got to know each other better.

I am surprised to see Lithuania as a disliker of Poland. I thought that the two countries had close relationships due to their shared historical and cultural heritage (that is what I heard from Lithuanian friends).

To put it simply, Lithuanian - Polish relations went sour with with the Lithuanian national movement and wish of Lithuanians to create their own national state. Polish elites at that time promoted the idea that Lithuania can only be a part of Greater Poland and never believed that lowly uneducated peasant population (until 1904, any education including primary, or any printed text in Lithuanian was banned) could run and support a state of their own. Many families in the first half of the XXth century changed their identity and language from Polish to Lithuanian (including also in my family) which is also hard to understand for Polish... besides, there is also controversial historic narrative about the capital city Vilnius-Wilno in between WWI and WWII. The Lithuanian narrative is that Vilnius was taken by Poland by force, whereas Lithuanians wanted it back and considered it to be 'the temporary annexed capital city of Lithuania".

Modern Polish - Lithuanian relations are clouded by many petty misunderstandings like issues over the usage of the Polish language in public sphere, requirements for Polish graduates to take the Lithuanian language exam equally with Lithuanian students or the requirement to write place names in Lithuanian in local villages populated by Polish people, which are opposed by local Polish politicians. Besides, local political Polish party is often rather pro-Moscow oriented as it targets both the local Polish and the Russian electorate alike (7% of ethnic Polish in Lithuania and 6% of ethnic Russians). For instance, the leader of the local Polish party in 2014 supported Vladimir Putin and the annexation of Crimea, which went drastically against the Lithuanian political thinking.

I disagree with Ireland being on the list of our haters, but the rest seems partially correct

I also disagree with Great Britain - from my experience, it is England, but not Scotland

No, it's almost certainly the Republic of Ireland, where 125,000 Poles now live (to put that into context, only three towns and cities in ROI have greater populations). Northern Ireland's population is around 40% of that of the Republic, but its Polish population is 10% of that of their southern neighbours.

The number of Poles in Scotland is around 50-60,000, in contrast to nearly 1m in England and Wales. Overwhelmingly, these people occupy 'blue collar' jobs or don't have a job at all.

Why people who have to live alongside Poles appear to dislike them more than those who don't is a mystery...

Without Hungary, I have no idea

It's the same with any ethnicity. When they're "far away" people can often be quite tolerant. When immigrants or minority groups are "in your face", perhaps competing for jobs, or you have to come in contact with them at work or in stores, and they don't understand you, or they have what to you are "odd" customs, you can be more irritated with them than you were when it was all hypothetical.

It reminds me of how often the French in the fifties, sixties, etc. were so appalled at what they considered the prejudice of Americans toward non-white peoples. When France became, what, 20% minority, the attitudes of a good percentage of them seem to have changed.

It's the same with any ethnicity. When they're "far away" people can often be quite tolerant. When immigrants or minority groups are "in your face", perhaps competing for jobs, or you have to come in contact with them at work or in stores, and they don't understand you, or they have what to you are "odd" customs, you can be more irritated with them than you were when it was all hypothetical.

It reminds me of how often the French in the fifties, sixties, etc. were so appalled at what they considered the prejudice of Americans toward non-white peoples. When France became, what, 20% minority, the attitudes of a good percentage of them seem to have changed.

I agree with this.

Can native people really be blamed for this seemingly-normal and natural reaction, though?

I grew up in a very white, very British part of the UK. In my school year there was a Nepalese, a Sri Lankan, an Indian, an Israeli, and two mixed blacks with white fathers. Because there weren't sufficient numbers to form cliques, they were very much integrated. People occasionally teased them with the odd comment, but it was all taken in good humour and they were no more or less liked than anyone else (apart from one of the black kids who took to selling cannabis and randomly assaulting people in the street).

The only person who ever received any racial abuse was an Arab who briefly attended the school, and that was only because he was an arrogant halfwit who insisted on telling everyone how much greater Saudi Arabia and Islam were than the Christian pigs of England.

A lot of people from my town went away to universities in much more 'multicultural' major cities, and received a big culture shock. Some were Enriched© with sexual assaults, others with random attacks amounting to ABH or GBH (including myself), at least one lost computer equipment worth thousands of pounds after a pack of Vibrant & Diverse Melanin-Rich Youths broke into his flat.

The word 'nation' has always meant a people with a common ethnic or religious/ideological origin, but now appears to have a definition closer to that of a tax office. Left and right-wing people alike chant the same mantra - why oppose immigrants who work hard and pay taxes? They're not doing any harm, surely?

Bollocks to society, they come, they work hard, they pay taxes

All well and good until you find, in a few short years, that your town is now 20% black, or Muslim, or Polish.

I agree with this.

Can native people really be blamed for this seemingly-normal and natural reaction, though?

I grew up in a very white, very British part of the UK. In my school year there was a Nepalese, a Sri Lankan, an Indian, an Israeli, and two mixed blacks with white fathers. Because there weren't sufficient numbers to form cliques, they were very much integrated. People occasionally teased them with the odd comment, but it was all taken in good humour and they were no more or less liked than anyone else (apart from one of the black kids who took to selling cannabis and randomly assaulting people in the street).

The only person who ever received any racial abuse was an Arab who briefly attended the school, and that was only because he was an arrogant halfwit who insisted on telling everyone how much greater Saudi Arabia and Islam were than the Christian pigs of England.

A lot of people from my town went away to universities in much more 'multicultural' major cities, and received a big culture shock. Some were Enriched© with sexual assaults, others with random attacks amounting to ABH or GBH (including myself), at least one lost computer equipment worth thousands of pounds after a pack of Vibrant & Diverse Melanin-Rich Youths broke into his flat.

The word 'nation' has always meant a people with a common ethnic or religious/ideological origin, but now appears to have a definition closer to that of a tax office. Left and right-wing people alike chant the same mantra - why oppose immigrants who work hard and pay taxes? They're not doing any harm, surely?

All well and good until you find, in a few short years, that your town is now 20% black, or Muslim, or Polish.

There's all sorts of factors, aren't there? Are they competing for a job with locals? Are they willing to work for less pay and therefore "native" wages go down or stagnate or they lose jobs? If those things are true, of course it's natural for people to resent it.

In America, the people who are often the most pro-immigration are professional and other high salaried people. The Mexicans or Central Americans coming across the border are usually very un-skilled or semi-skilled people, and so they're no threat to American elites. It's different for American factory workers, or landscapers, or gas station attendants.

If, like new groups of any variety or race they find it hard to make a living because of poor skill sets or language skills or lack of contacts, and so a percentage of them turn to crime to make a living, the resentment is even worse.

Then, what if they don't try to assimilate? It's one thing if it's a person here or there, who is, in effect, forced to assimilate, which, btw, is what happened to our family, but, as you say, what if it's a really big group, which, as is often the case in these situations, creates their own area or part of the city, where you are no longer comfortable shopping or using social amenities because they're all speaking a "foreign" language, the food is strange, they seem very clannish, etc. You can wind up feeling like a foreigner in your own country.

I'll be honest, I've found it upsetting in a few situations even here in the U.S., which is very multi-cultural. The Chinese, Koreans, etc. are often lionized as "model" minorities, and yes, it's true that they commit very few crimes, are very hard working, and push, sometimes maniacally, for education for their children. However, when there are large numbers of them going to one city, they create virtually homogeneous cities of their own, can be very clannish, and have trouble assimilating to the mores of the people around them. I used to think that once the children were gone I might move west again into what we call the borough of Queens, part of New York City, where they have very nice condominium apartments in high rise buildings, right on the water with beautiful views, with maintenance staff to take care of everything, markets, shops, gyms and theaters right downstairs. After a lifetime of what seemed like unending taking care of a house and property and driving constantly, it seemed like an attractive option. I went to look at some a year ago. In the space of five years there had been a huge turnover in the area. Every single person in those high rises was East Asian. You couldn't hear one word of English. I couldn't even read the signs on the stores. There's no way I would be comfortable there.

It's even more discomfiting when I see things like that in Italy, no matter the origin of the immigrants, because it's just not been part of the Italian experience, and what I long to re-experience.

So, yes, I think it's normal. People differ in their level of comfort with those sorts of quick, drastic changes in their "world". That doesn't mean there should be any tolerance for violence or maltreatment of foreigners, of course.

The question is, how do you solve this problem of self-enclosed, large, minority "ethnic blocks"? Denmark said recently they want to end the practice of migrants living in these homogeneous, non-assimilating blocks. How do you do that, though, in a free society? If people want to buy an apartment or house near people from the same background, how can you prevent them?

If you need foreign workers, and let in large numbers of them, or the borders are too porous, or you let in more refugees than you can absorb, and the people involved don't assimilate, these are the issues that arise.

I certainly don't believe that there should be no borders between countries, as the Democratic Party in the U.S. now seems to be saying.

What has surprised me in terms of the Poles in England, however, is that the British people I've heard speaking about the issue on the BBC or chat shows seem more upset with the Poles and other Eastern Europeans than with the Caribbean blacks or whatever. Is it the language issue? They don't want to hear foreign languages in the street or the shops? Is it that there's more competition with Poles for jobs? Are some groups off limits for criticism, so they take it out on the ones who aren't "protected"? I don't know. It would seem it should be across the board if they're going to be resentful.

What has surprised me in terms of the Poles in England, however, is that the British people I've heard speaking about the issue on the BBC or chat shows seem more upset with the Poles and other Eastern Europeans than with the Caribbean blacks or whatever. Is it the language issue? They don't want to hear foreign languages in the street or the shops? Is it that there's more competition with Poles for jobs? Are some groups off limits for criticism, so they take it out on the ones who aren't "protected"? I don't know. It would seem it should be across the board if they're going to be resentful

Blacks and Muslims are untouchable. Poles are white, European and Christian, and thus fair game for criticism. You could say that they're the politically correct way to be politically incorrect.

Despite my two posts above, I don't dislike Poles. I do, however, recognise that both their sizable presence in Britain and the rapid speed with which that number has risen are symptomatic of that detestable organisation known as the European Union (the great irony, of course, being that Poland itself has become something of a thorn in its side).

Before 2004, there were a few tens-of-thousands of Poles spread across Britain, most of them either Polish soldiers or Jewish Poles who had ended up in the UK during/after WWII. When Poland and the other Eastern European nations joined the EU, there was a great deal of alarm in the UK about the number of migrants who would seek to come here. The then ruling government was that of Tony Blair's Labour Party, and they stated that their research had established that that number would be in the low-tens-of-thousands, manageable and 'only the best'. It has since emerged that the same government relaxed immigration laws and, in their own words, 'sent out search parties' to encourage migration. This was done with the aim of 'rubbing the right's nose in diversity'. In other words, to import wholesale massive, multi-million person voting blocs who would a) be mostly poor, and b) easy to appeal to with racially-loaded policies.

Britain now has almost a million Polish residents. For that to happen in barely a decade-and-a-half is both bizarre and astounding. As is often pointed out, that is between two and four-times as many people as the number of Anglo-Saxons who are thought to have settled Britain in the sub-Roman period. There are towns such as Boston, a famous name to Americans of course, which are small and fairly irrelevant but also once homogenous and typically English. One in five citizens is now Polish. In other areas, such as the city of Kingston upon Hull (flattened in WWII, one of the most deprived places in Britain, and twice voted the worst place to live in the country) now have street after street of 'Polski Sklep'. Sometimes these don't even serve an actual community, but rather a nationality that functions much like the ship of Theseus. I.e. Poles come and go, but the Polish always remain. Many of these Poles are young men who speak no English, who act much like football hooligans abroad. Except, unlike foreign football hooligans, they don't leave at the end of the day. They loiter on the same street corners, tin of Tyskie in hand, drunkenly fighting and shouting mangled English phrases like 'I your eat pussy' at schoolgirls. It's hardly conducive to a healthy mingling of the natives and the incomers.

Regarding the blacks and Muslims, I suppose one answer is that people feel unable to criticise them (and believe me, there's a hell of a lot to criticise). Perhaps the fact many of them live in a handful of major cities such as London, Birmingham and Manchester is another, unlike Eastern Europeans who spread more readily into into small towns, and rural and agricultural areas? Maybe it's the sorites paradox? "It was fine when one or two kind, quiet and integrated Jamaican families lived in the town, occasionally cooking us a little salt fish and playing the steel drums, so why would another 100 matter? After all, if a little is good then more must be better. Oh, how strange; everyone's black now. I wonder how that happened". Poles aren't known for phoning the police over comments critical of Mohammed, or for overhearing a man refer to the ethnic chap who raped his daughter as a 'wog', unlike other minorities. Perversely, this makes them seem acceptable to criticise, knowing they won't dissolve your face for opposing them.

I disagree with Ireland being on the list of our haters, but the rest seems partially correct.

I also disagree with Great Britain - from my experience, it is England, but not Scotland.

Edit:

In the video this guy said that Germans dislike Poland because they believe Poland caused WW2.

It is a more English than Scottish thing - almost all immigrants end up in England, so that's where virtually all of the anti-immigrant views come from.

Indeed we do, but it is a bit like between Scotland and England, where Lithuania = Scotland, Poland = England.

Prof. Robert Frost explains it very well in these two conversations:

I think that you can also find many Scots who are not very fond of England. Probably ca. 1/3 of their society?

Ukraine does not appear in any of the lists? Ukraine and Poland have a strong historical relationship.

Edit:

why do you think Belgium hates Poland?

I think making a list per country is not very usefull.

E.g. you could say many political correct people dislike Poland, but these people are spread over many coutnries.

I was surprised to read what Alcuin wrote above - which, of course, doesn't mean I don't believe it.

There used to be coal mines in foothill areas in my region. There was a pretty massive influx of Polish miners here between the two world wars. Of course I never knew the first-generation people. But there were 2nd-generation-Polish soccer teams in many towns in my young days. Well, they were tough guys on a football pitch, and there was that occasional fist fight when things got tense, but I never heard anyone really contend that they were troublesome. Maybe that's because at the time (pre-"rural exodus") the countryside round here was still populated with thick-skinned peasants who didn't much mind getting, or giving, a punch on the nose. So over time things levelled out. The same goes for the Portuguese in the 70s and 80s.

What's left of it today? Hardly more than a bunch of foreign-sounding family names. One of my best friends at university was a second-generation Pole called Bobrowski. He didn't speak Polish, and really was the "right stuff" to have for a friend.

Anyway, I'd readily swap ten Poles for each of those fanatics we have here now, openly refractory to integration, who either plant bombs, or silently support those who do.

It is a more English than Scottish thing - almost all immigrants end up in England, so that's where virtually all of the anti-immigrant views come from.
Almost all immigrants end up in England? Not really but a good percentage do. I can tell you living in England that the Polish are not the target of their aggression because they don't do much to make the English ticked off in fact they have the jobs like builders and plumbers and beauty stylists that's about it.

British English nationalists don't want anyone here who isn't of NW European stock, that's the words of the BNP namely Nick Griffin ( on question time ) not my opinion. That includes South and East Europeans, Blacks, Jews and other Middle Easterners, Asians East Asians and whoever else. They're British nationalists that's the point. But sadly for them, most of the immigrants here especially those from Eastern Europe are bringing the trade here the pound will drop after we live the EU officially after March.

All this and they have had a mixed race Royal family rule over them for centuries too that aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Anyway, I'd readily swap ten Poles for each of those fanatics we have here now, openly refractory to integration, who either plant bombs, or silently support those who do.

Would you believe that this comedian is ethnically Polish (although his surname Giza seems to be of Hungarian origin)? English subtitles:

634991415385730000.jpg

I think they hate more turkey than they love it... due to the wars...

Practically all outsiders end up in England? Not by any means however a decent rate do. I can disclose to you living in England that the Polish are not the objective of their hostility since they don't do a lot to make the English ticked off in actuality they have the occupations like manufacturers and handymen and magnificence beauticians that is about it.

This thread has been viewed 16400 times.

Back