All Iberian men were wiped out by Yamna men 4,500 years ago

@Berun,
Really objective mindset. How about you wait until you see the paper?
yes, I find it very confusing
everybody giving comments here before the paper is out
As to yDna...from Olalde et al 2017 on the Spanish "Beaker" samples:
"Iberian individuals with enough data to produce a reliable Y-chromosome haplogroup1882 determination belonged to haplogroups I2a2 and G2 (Supplementary Table 3), bothpresent in high frequencies in European Neolithic farmers124,130–132 1883 and also in Iberian1884 Copper Age populations. Haplogroup G2 probably entered Europe from the Near East1885 during the Neolithic expansion, and haplogroup I2a2 was likely introduced into the1886 Neolithic population through admixture with European hunter-gatherers. Two Iberian1887 individuals belonged to haplogroup R1b but likely not to R1b-L23 and therefore not to1888 R1b-S116/P312. Similar R1b haplogroups were present in low frequencies in Europe1889 during the Neolithic period, as they have been previously observed in both centralEurope (I0559) and Iberia (I0410)124 1890 ."
I notice a divide in neolithic Iberia.
Eastern and southern Iberia is mostly G2a2.
Western Iberia is mostly I2a.
The Cardial Ware expansion stopped in the Algarve, where it arrived ca 7.5 ka.
The local HG lived in the estuaria in settlements with large shell mounds.
There settlements were seasonal.
There were inland hunting seasons and fishing/shellfish seasons in the estuaria.
Further inland they had megalithic constructions since 8 ka.
When Cardial Ware arrived, the shell mound settlements were abondonned, but the megalithic constructions didn't stop.
The burials in megalithic monuments is remeniscent to the burials in the shell mounds.
The first farmers in Brittain were megalithic. None of them were G2a2, they were all I2a.
Autosomal they were very much like Iberian neolithic.
The Iberian megalithic subclades are I2a-L161 and I2a-Z161, still present in Britain, but extinct in Iberia.

There were inland hunting seasons and fishing/shellfish seasons in the estuaria.
When Cardial Ware arrived, the shell mound settlements were abondonned, but the megalithic constructions didn't stop.
The burials in megalithic monuments is remeniscent to the burials in the shell mounds.
The first farmers in Brittain were megalithic. None of them were G2a2, they were all I2a.

But then Megalithism started in western iberia, so megalithism is mainly an HG thing more than a Farmer thing?

But then Megalithism started in western iberia, so megalithism is mainly an HG thing more than a Farmer thing?
it seems megalithism was in the Alentejo prior to Cardial Ware, 8 ka
it seems megalithism was in Britanny prior to LBK or Cardial Ware, 6.8 ka
it even seems oxens and the plough were invented by megalithic people in Britanny
they were I2a, but autosomal mixture EEF-WHG

it seems megalithism was in the Alentejo prior to Cardial Ware, 8 ka
it seems megalithism was in Britanny prior to LBK or Cardial Ware, 6.8 ka
it even seems oxens and the plough were invented by megalithic people in Britanny
they were I2a, but autosomal mixture EEF-WHG

Hm intersting.

I always assumed megalithism was associated with the farmers. A lot of the structures seem to have calendar applications which would have been vital in agriculture. Also, Bell Beakers in Britain seem to have completely replaced the farmer DNA, but continued or even expanded constructions such as Stonehenge. Which I thought indicated that it was seen more as a piece of infrastructure than a religious or cultural thing.

But that was just something I assumed. Also, Farmers is not completely the same as farming across Europe. Do the dates not fit the narrative?

This might be of interest for this thread. An elite burial complex from Andalusia ca. 2800 B.C. . Other than the extraordinarily rich grave goods that accompanied the most important individual in the burial complex there is a chamber with what appear to be .... the skeletons of up to 20 young women:

There was an exceptional collection of artefacts. In the centre of the largechamber there were a stela and a varied series of objects, inhumations and ceramicvessels with food offerings were placed around them. Even though the outer parts ofthe large chamber had been disturbed, excavation documented 20 individuals. Theprocesses of autolysis and skeletonisation of many of these individuals had not beencompleted when new inhumations took place. Radiocarbon dating suggests that thedeposition of these inhumations may have taken place simultaneously or within avery short period (Bayliss et al. 2016). The 20 individuals identified are adults (11cases between 20 and 35 years old), and at least 12 of them are female. While noclear sexual determination could be provided for the rest of the inhumations, fivehave been classified as ‘probably female’ and three as indeterminate.

https://rd.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s10963-018-9114-2.pdf

La Bastida de Totana (Argar) :

"One of the most relevant architectural elements discovered is the ogival arched postern gate, or secondary door, located near the main entrance. The arch is in very good conditions and is the first one to be found in Prehistoric Europe. Precedents can be found in the second city of Troy (Turkey) and in the urban world of the Middle East (Palestine, Israel and Jordan), influenced by the civilisations of Mesopotamia and Egypt. This indicates that people from the East participated in the construction of the fortification. These people would have reached La
Bastida after the crisis which devastated their region 4,300 years ago. "

https://forwhattheywereweare.wordpress.com/category/el-argar/

This might be of interest for this thread. An elite burial complex from Andalusia ca. 2800 B.C. . Other than the extraordinarily rich grave goods that accompanied the most important individual in the burial complex there is a chamber with what appear to be .... the skeletons of up to 20 young women:

https://rd.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s10963-018-9114-2.pdf

Very interesting - I'd love to see what that guys results are. R1b-L51?

Some of those conclusions are a bit surprising to me, especially the supposed "reappearance" of non-IE lineages after the BA during the IA and afterwards. I mean, some parts of Iberia, like Portugal, Extremadura and Cantabria, have really high percentages of non-R1b/R1a lineages, even as much as 40-50%. Could that huge transformation away from the "100% replacement of Neolithic males" scenario of Bronze Age Iberia have happened in the last ~2,500 years without leaving a huge genetic imprint in the shape of a much more significant North African and East Mediterranean admixtures in modern Iberians? Was there such a huge transformation (I mean, deducing from ~0% in the BA exploding to an average ~35% of non-steppe lineages nowadays) that is reflected autosomally comparing modern and ancient Iberians? And is there any archaeological, material sign of such a massive if partial replacement?

It depends whether you're asking me or them, and we don't have the paper yet. :) From the standpoint of steppe ancestry, Martiniano sees, for Portugal, the beginning of the movement from the steppe in the change to downstream R1b and the beginning of an increase in steppe ancestry. Then he has a gap chronologically in the samples. His next reference point is modern people of Iberia, who definitely have steppe, but less than, say, Central Europe. (Not everyone sees a figure in modern Iberians as 35%. Martiniano certainly didn't.)

This upcoming Olalde paper seems to be saying that in those intervening years steppe ancestry massively increased, accounting for 40% of the total genome, and there was 100% replacement of the ylines.

It's difficult to critique a paper we haven't read, but for starters, maybe 100% replacement is a bit of a stretch, given that there is still a bit of G2a and I2a left, unless in the body of the paper they're referring only to non-Basque Iberians. On the other hand, I don't see any indication that the "J" lineages were around prior to the Bronze Age, at least. Y dna "E" is a different story, probably, as they say they did find a "North African" sample pretty early, although they qualify that by saying the contacts were sporadic.

So, I wouldn't say that there was a "reappearance" of non-IE lineages, as "J" and most of "E" probably weren't there until the Bronze Age at the earliest. I am a little surprised, however, that they seem to be saying that the "J" lineages didn't appear until the Iron Age or perhaps later. Carthage did control a big portion of Iberia, but were there enough of them to make a huge change in yDna? Yes, there were some Roman veteran and other colonies, but were they predominantly "J", and were they a big enough percentage of the total population to make such a change? That leaves the Moorish domination. I could see it being responsible for E-M81, but all of the J1 and J2 as well? My understanding was always that by far the biggest contingent were North Africans, with the "Arabs" being a much smaller percentage at the top. There's also El Algar to consider. Do they have the samples to address that?

I don't know. I guess we have to wait to see the paper.

La Bastida de Totana (Argar) :
"One of the most relevant architectural elements discovered is the ogival arched postern gate, or secondary door, located near the main entrance. The arch is in very good conditions and is the first one to be found in Prehistoric Europe. Precedents can be found in the second city of Troy (Turkey) and in the urban world of the Middle East (Palestine, Israel and Jordan), influenced by the civilisations of Mesopotamia and Egypt. This indicates that people from the East participated in the construction of the fortification. These people would have reached La
Bastida after the crisis which devastated their region 4,300 years ago. "
https://forwhattheywereweare.wordpress.com/category/el-argar/
my understanding is that there was a settlement on the hill since 4.2 ka, but it was burnt down ca 4 ka when La Bastida was built
so La Bastida seems intrusive to me but dated only 4 ka
and IMO the highly stratified El Argar was ruled by these intruders
they mismanaged the area leading to an ecological disaster

the paper however seems to be about a 4.5 ka replacement, and it seems to be focused on western Iberia

The Iberian megalithic subclades are I2a-L161 and I2a-Z161, still present in Britain, but extinct in Iberia.

I don't doubt you in terms of which "local" people might have provided the yDna, but they were still autosomally Iberian Neolithic farmers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almendres_Cromlech

prior to Cardial Ware

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locmariaquer_megaliths
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnenez

neither LBK nor Cardial Ware ever reached Britanny

both southern Portugal and Britanny had HG with mounds of seashells in which they burried their death prior to the construction of dolmens or passage graves

Interesting, that does appear to fit in neatly with the arrival of farming, and at least in Iberia with the arrival of Anatolian Farmer genetics.

I don't doubt you in terms of which "local" people might have provided the yDna, but they were still autosomally Iberian Neolithic farmers.
yes, EEF, but while LBK has the least WHG admixture, the Iberian neolithic has the most

and a similar admixture event happened at the Iron Gates 8 ka
the Iron Gates HG were R1b-V88 and I2a-Z161
both appeared in Iberian neolithic

on the other hand, I2a-L161 seems to be a HG of Iberian origin

in British neolithic we have I2a-Z161 and I2a-L161 coming from Iberia plus I2a-M284
I2a-M284 seems to be a HG of British origin
these are 3 admixture events in a row, with 3 I2a clades and 1 R1b clade

and in Iberian neolithic it seems that after the admixture event, G2a2 and I2a-L161 each went their own seperate way

the same can be said about R1b-V88, who came from the iron gates
it was not found in a classical Iberian Carded Ware site, it was found in the remote Els Trocs cave in the Pyrenees

Interesting, that does appear to fit in neatly with the arrival of farming, and at least in Iberia with the arrival of Anatolian Farmer genetics.

not quite in the same place at the same time

not quite in the same place at the same time

Well, the Almenedes appears to have had a building period from about 6000 BC to 4000 BC. In Brittainy the Barnenez dates to about 4800 BC and the Locmariaquer to 4700 BC. Agriculture seems to have gotten to Iberia around 5700 BC with Anatolian farmer DNA showing up. Since I think it implausible that we've found the remains of the exact first generation of farmers and that the start date of the building is probably not totally on the dot, its seems there will be some overlap on the confidence limits here. There seems to have been rather a lot of churn in the penninsula at the time, with the demographic change, start of agriculture and beginning of large stone constructions all in the same period. I'd say it seems rather probable that these large changes were linked.

Start of farming in Brittany I've not found a lot on. "From about 5000 BC" is the closes I got. Nothing on whether it was through Anatolian farmers demic diffusion or whether it was a local adoption like the eastern Baltic farming.

Well, the Almenedes appears to have had a building period from about 6000 BC to 4000 BC. In Brittainy the Barnenez dates to about 4800 BC and the Locmariaquer to 4700 BC. Agriculture seems to have gotten to Iberia around 5700 BC with Anatolian farmer DNA showing up. Since I think it implausible that we've found the remains of the exact first generation of farmers and that the start date of the building is probably not totally on the dot, its seems there will be some overlap on the confidence limits here. There seems to have been rather a lot of churn in the penninsula at the time, with the demographic change, start of agriculture and beginning of large stone constructions all in the same period. I'd say it seems rather probable that these large changes were linked.
Start of farming in Brittany I've not found a lot on. "From about 5000 BC" is the closes I got. Nothing on whether it was through Anatolian farmers demic diffusion or whether it was a local adoption like the eastern Baltic farming.

Cardial ware got to Catualunia about 7.7 or 7.6 ka, but it didn't spread beyond the Gibraltar Strait prior to 7.5 ka.
There would have been the Almagra of North African origin prior to Cardial Ware, but that was in Andalusia, and there is no DNA trace to confirm anything coming from North Africa.

The LBK didn't get any further than the Paris Basin, and Cardial Ware till the Charente on the French Atlantic coast. No trace of both in Britanny.
Maybe some herders got there, like in Els Trocs, but no proper farmers.

P.S. apart from the Almendres Cromlechs, there were also monuments built in Perdigoës, some 15 km more inland, starting about 7,5 ka
dolmens seem to have appeared in the area only about 6 ka, so later than in Britanny

If you have not seen it before, have a look at this :

http://homeland.ku.dk/

Sample ID / genetic sex (M/F): I0462 / F
Find location: Arroyal I, Burgos
Associated label in publication: Beaker Iberia
Date: 2566–2345 calBCE (3950±26 BP, MAMS-25936)
MtDNA haplogroup (mother): K1a+195
Y-DNA haplogroup (father): null
Reference: Olalde et al. 2018
Colour group: Steppe (autosomal)

Sample ID / genetic sex (M/F): I6588 / M
Find location: Humanejos, Madrid
Date: 2500–2000 BCE
MtDNA haplogroup (mother): U5b2b3
Y-DNA haplogroup (father): R1b1a1a2a1a (L151)
Colour group: Steppe (R1b)

Sample ID / genetic sex (M/F): I6472 / M
Find location: La Magdalena, Madrid
MtDNA haplogroup (mother): HV0b
Y-DNA haplogroup (father): R1b1a1a2 (M269)

Sample ID / genetic sex (M/F): I5665 / M
Find location: Virgazal, Tablada de Rudrón, Burgos
Date: 2280–1984 calBCE (3730±40 BP, Poz-49174)
MtDNA haplogroup (mother): K1a24a
Y-DNA haplogroup (father): R1b1a1a2a1a2 (P312)

If you have not seen it before, have a look at this :

http://homeland.ku.dk/

Sample ID / genetic sex (M/F): I0462 / F
Find location: Arroyal I, Burgos
Date: 2566–2345 calBCE (3950±26 BP, MAMS-25936)
MtDNA haplogroup (mother): K1a+195
Y-DNA haplogroup (father): null
Colour group: Steppe (autosomal)

Sample ID / genetic sex (M/F): I6588 / M
Find location: Humanejos, Madrid
MtDNA haplogroup (mother): U5b2b3
Y-DNA haplogroup (father): R1b1a1a2a1a (L151)

Sample ID / genetic sex (M/F): I6472 / M
Find location: La Magdalena, Madrid
MtDNA haplogroup (mother): HV0b
Y-DNA haplogroup (father): R1b1a1a2 (M269)

Sample ID / genetic sex (M/F): I5665 / M
Find location: Virgazal, Tablada de Rudrón, Burgos
Date: 2280–1984 calBCE (3730±40 BP, Poz-49174)
MtDNA haplogroup (mother): K1a24a
Y-DNA haplogroup (father): R1b1a1a2a1a2 (P312)

so steppe R1b-P312 Iberian Bell Beakers after all
but only 4.5 ka Iberian Bell Beakers, not the 4.8 ka Bell Beakers?
the 4.5 ka Bell Beakers must have come from the Carpathian Basin or Central Europe

how about these guys :

Haplogroup-R1b-DF27.png

https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-DF27/

could it be them ?

This thread has been viewed 248080 times.

Back