All Iberian men were wiped out by Yamna men 4,500 years ago

I doubt "huge" is the proper adjective given that Iberians today in some analyses have only 25% steppe.

Before the BB came in the local population was zero steppe and the BB themselves, even in many parts of Central Europe, had no such high steppe ancestry percentage to begin with. If you check the Southern French BB which were the source, you will see that they are even lower and in later times Iberians got admixture from the North, but also from the South with less steppe. If taking everything in account, you end up with roughly half the population being replaced autosomally and 95 plus percent on the paternal side, I'd say that's huge.
Its not about "steppe ancestry" but Bell Beaker ancestry.

Before the BB came in the local population was zero steppe and the BB themselves, even in many parts of Central Europe, had no such high steppe ancestry percentage to begin with. If you check the Southern French BB which were the source, you will see that they are even lower and in later times Iberians got admixture from the North, but also from the South with less steppe. If taking everything in account, you end up with roughly half the population being replaced autosomally and 95 plus percent on the paternal side, I'd say that's huge.
Its not about "steppe ancestry" but Bell Beaker ancestry.

I'm quite aware of the difference, thank you.

We've managed to read all the relevant papers and analyze them, and in the process came to conclusions much more often correct than is the case on other sites, so lose the superior, snarky attitude if you please.

KpVT3Wp.png

DnfBlCN.png

Angela, just assume BB Germany would be a good source, what I wouldn't take as a given, this still means, even with the numbers you provided, that we deal with a replacement rate of about 40 percent. To me that is "huge". I'm writing that with old models in mind, which considered "elite dominance" scenarios plausible which would have resulted in less than 20 percent replacement rate. We are far from that.

What's even more, we deal with a wave-like phenomenon, in which one wave took local women, consolidated its position, then moved on and so forth. This means we have regionally much higher or lower impacts depending on whether we deal with relatively unmixed or already locally rooted mixed representatives. Also, I doubt those coming in were all like "German Beakers", but more Neolithic shifted already. This means we deal with 40-50 percent replacement rate most likely, let's see. Wasn't saying anything else and don't wanted to be "snarky", but probably that's just my "communication style". Heard that before...

Angela, just assume BB Germany would be a good source, what I wouldn't take as a given, this still means, even with the numbers you provided, that we deal with a replacement rate of about 40 percent. To me that is "huge". I'm writing that with old models in mind, which considered "elite dominance" scenarios plausible which would have resulted in less than 20 percent replacement rate. We are far from that.

What's even more, we deal with a wave-like phenomenon, in which one wave took local women, consolidated its position, then moved on and so forth. This means we have regionally much higher or lower impacts depending on whether we deal with relatively unmixed or already locally rooted mixed representatives. Also, I doubt those coming in were all like "German Beakers", but more Neolithic shifted already. This means we deal with 40-50 percent replacement rate most likely, let's see. Wasn't saying anything else and don't wanted to be "snarky", but probably that's just my "communication style". Heard that before...

Riverman, those are the charts from Olalde et al. Until we have more proximate samples for the people who entered Iberia from Central Europe, those are the numbers I'll use. Anything else is just speculation.

You're welcome to disagree.

You're also welcome to disagree as to whether 40% is HUGE. I would reserve it for situations like Great Britain, or certain parts of northeastern Europe.

That's all I meant.

Reading the thread as a B RH negative guy i am feeling like a real steppe warrior right now.

Oh, and not to mention that this invasion didn't even bring Indo-European languages to Iberia - that was at the hands of the Romans!
That is not entirely true. In the Mediterranean half of the country it is.
In the Atlantic half there were Celtic peoples that surely came during the Iron Ages in the 2nd Celtic Migration(as this sites suggests)

This thread has been viewed 248083 times.

Back