Where was Germania?

Do you really think ancient writers were retarded at a point to mix Germany with Iran?

There is nothing widely believed. Linguists have a high tendencies at laughing to people who makes ancestral links with some apparent and flawed linguistic relationship. There was never Germans in west or east Iran, there were no Celts in Iran neither.

Ancient writers didn't mix anything, in the ancient times a country with the name of Iran didn't exist in the west Asia, Iranians who migrated and conquered this land, gave this name to it, the same thing can be said about Turkey and Turks, and of course Germany and Germanic people.
I know it is widely believed that Iran has been always the land of Iranian people or Germany the land of Germanic people but as a historian I don't care what nationalists say, the only important thing for me is Evidence, whether historical, archaeological, linguistic, genetic, cultural, ...

Ancient writers didn't mix anything, in the ancient times a country with the name of Iran didn't exist in the west Asia, Iranians who migrated and conquered this land, gave this name to it, the same thing can be said about Turkey and Turks, and of course Germany and Germanic people.
I know it is widely believed that Iran has been always the land of Iranian people or Germany the land of Germanic people but as a historian I don't care what nationalists say, the only important thing for me is Evidence, whether historical, archaeological, linguistic, genetic, cultural, ...

Iran was Iranian before Greeks or Romans writers knew about that place. The only link between Germanic and Iranic archeological, linguistic, genetic is about their same Indo-European chunk. But what you are saying is that Germanic Languages came from Iran because of some similar sound shifts as Iranian language.

What you could have said is that, Iranic and Germanic languages have similarities. But there is no archeological or genetic link between what we know from the prehistory of Germany and Iran. The only somewhat link could be the CHG ancestral component, wich itself cannot even speak for Iranic or Germanic languages themselves, but about the broad Proto-Indo-European language.

Iran was Iranian before Greeks or Romans writers knew about that place. The only link between Germanic and Iranic archeological, linguistic, genetic is about their same Indo-European chunk. But what you are saying is that Germanic Languages came from Iran because of some similar sound shifts as Iranian language.

What you could have said is that, Iranic and Germanic languages have similarities. But there is no archeological or genetic link between what we know from the prehistory of Germany and Iran. The only somewhat link could be the CHG ancestral component, wich itself cannot even speak for Iranic or Germanic languages themselves, but about the broad Proto-Indo-European language.

There is no direct link between Iranian and Germanic people, it can be compared to relation between Huns and east Germanic people, when Iranian tribes invaded to the Iranian plateau Germanic tribes were forced to migrate into Europe.
There are several historical, archaeological, linguistic, genetic, cultural, ... evidences which show the migration of Germanic tribes from Iran to Europe, I can talk about them one by one, of course I know none of them can change "nationalist bias" of those who believe in Germanic origin just in Germanic lands.

Cyrus,
Provide citations that show this evidence of Germanic tribes migrating from what became Persia to Europe...
Citations please.
It is not "nationalist bias" to say that the Germanic people originated in "Germanic lands" (I believe you are referring to the area of Northern Germany and Scandinavia, note this is not Germany proper as we know it today). It is simply a fact that the Germanic tribes progressively expanded out of this Northern European zone. I'm not quite sure why you insist that Germania was in Persia when it is clear where it is in relation to the Gauls in all Roman references and Julius Caesar himself, as well as where the Rhine was located (and for fun there is mention of Germanic cisrhenani and Germani transrhenani). The Romans were not referring to a place in Persia when they were writing about Germania, the river Rhine or the people who lived on either side of the river. They were discussing the locations and people in relation to Gaul, modern day France.

This thread has been viewed 16055 times.

Back