1700 year old child's sock

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Clothing is much more perishable than other artifacts, so it's nice to have such an intact sample. This one comes from Roman Egypt and it's quite lovely.

See:
https://www.archaeology.org/news/7017-181005-antinoupolis-child-sock

Egypt-sock.jpg
[COLOR=#000000 !important](British Museum)

[/COLOR]
LONDON, ENGLAND—Joanne Dyer of the British Museum led a team of researchers who used multispectral imaging and digital microscopy to analyze a 1,700-year-old child’s sock recovered from a dump in Antinoupolis, a city in Roman Egypt, according to a report in The Guardian. The sock, shaped for the left foot with a separate section for the big toe, was fashioned from wool yarn in six or seven colors with a single-needle looping technique. The non-invasive tests revealed the wool for the tiny garment had been dyed with madder, woad, and weld to create the colors red, blue, and yellow, respectively. Double and sequential dying and weaving, and twisting the fibers, produced the sock’s different colored stripes

Yale University Art Gallery (museum)
Roman period shoe, sandal, comb, ... (3rd century A.D.) Dura-Europos

XEtgjkB.jpg

Julia Domna A.D. 170 -217

U6EkLA9.jpg

Last edited:
Head of Caligula

RJpGyKb.jpg

Yale University ... in New Haven CT

Last edited:
Scutum (The Shield of the Roman Legionaries)
The only surviving semicylindrical Roman Shield used by the Legions) :) :)
(I stared at it for at least 10 minutes.).
TOTALLY COOL !!!

9lyrHkH.jpg

whtAcRC.jpg

jKkhWdD.jpg

And surprise, .... Symbol ...

9sCMcHW.jpg

Yale University .... in New Haven CT

Last edited:
It looks completely modern! I could imagine a toddler bumbling around in that today.

Commodus @ 11 - Marcus Aurelius - Avidia Plautia

4G9UGax.jpg

fyi : I took all the pictures that I posted in this thread yesterday, all items are exhibited at “Yale University Art Gallery (museum) in New Haven CT
I Web Optimized the Pics, because the originals are huge.

Last edited:
It looks completely modern! I could imagine a toddler bumbling around in that today.

Modern and quite lovely. :) I wonder if they knew about the two needle technique and if not when it was adopted. It makes for a much "smoother" and "tighter" product.

It makes me quite nostalgic, actually. First thing my mother taught me to knit was a scarf, for obvious reasons. A sock was next, to teach me how to "turn". People forget that people knit their own clothes until quite recently. My mother came from a very traditional, rural area of Italy, and they were still knitting heavy socks for the winter into the fifties. She taught me a lot of useful skills. If the apocalypse comes, I'm ready!

This thread has been viewed 5098 times.

Back