Reaction score
Ethnic group
Galician
Y-DNA haplogroup
J2B2 L283 BY162321
mtDNA haplogroup
H1
Hello,

Me and my whole family are from the northwestern part of Galicia in northwestern Spain, my 16 2nd Great-Grandparents were all of them from the same area (10 km diameter), and my paternal surname has its origin in central Galicia as well, at least since the beginning of XIIIth century.

My paternal haplogroup is J2b2-L283, from Pontic Steppe and today very high in Albania. How could I know more about where my paternal haplogroup (rare in Galicia) came here?? R1b invasions in Bronze Age, Roman Empire, Alans in Vth century?

23andme gave me this genetics:
100% European
69,1% Iberian
8,9% French&German
8,7% Broadly Southern European
7,8% Broadly Northwestern European
2,8% Italian
1,5% British&Irish
1,2% Broadly European

Analysis of data raw in GedMatch:

Dodecad V3:
37,60% West European
32,67% Mediterranean
11,78% West Asian
7,74% East European
6,06% Northwestern African
3,21% Southwestern Asian
0.51% Northeast Asian
0,42% South Asian

EEF-WHG-ANE:
EEF: 69%
WHG: 21%
ANE: 10%

Eurogenes K13:
35,88% North Atlantic
26,98% West Mediterranean
17,17% East Mediterranean
11,59% Baltic
2,34% West Asian
1,69% Red Sea
1,58% Sub-saharan
1,04% South Asian
0,38% Amerindian

Thanks and best regards.

Me, R1a-YP445, Eurogenes K13
41.52% North Atlantic
26.48% Baltic
15.92% West Mediterranean
4.69% East Mediterranean
0.98% Siberian
0.35% Amerindian

Closest Oracle Matches-West German, South Dutch, and Austrian.
I am American, 37% English, 20% Irish, 18% German, 12% Sicilian, 6% French, 6% Dutch, trace amounts of Native American.

Since you are non-Albanian , it would be interesting to know what subclade you belong to. And compare yourself to Albanians, when you split etc. I would suggest to do a deeper test. It's holidays now so some of these tests have a discount like FTDNA but there are also some others you can go with like YSEQ

It could be anything from Bronze Age to later times. I deleted my data on FTDNA and had my sample destroyed so you can not compare with me :)

Your ethnic group is galician but from what I understand is that galicians are a mix of tribes that migrated from eastern europe like visigoths and suebians ect. And they lived by the danube river which is in the balkans as well.

Hello,

Me and my whole family are from the northwestern part of Galicia in northwestern Spain, my 16 2nd Great-Grandparents were all of them from the same area (10 km diameter), and my paternal surname has its origin in central Galicia as well, at least since the beginning of XIIIth century.

My paternal haplogroup is J2b2-L283, from Pontic Steppe and today very high in Albania. How could I know more about where my paternal haplogroup (rare in Galicia) came here?? R1b invasions in Bronze Age, Roman Empire, Alans in Vth century?

100% European
69,1% Iberian
8,9% French&German
2,8% Italian
1,5% British&Irish
1,2% Broadly European

Dodecad V3:
37,60% West European
32,67% Mediterranean
11,78% West Asian
7,74% East European
3,21% Southwestern Asian
0.51% Northeast Asian
0,42% South Asian

EEF-WHG-ANE:

Eurogenes K13:
35,88% North Atlantic
11,59% Baltic
2,34% West Asian
1,69% Red Sea
1,58% Sub-saharan
1,04% South Asian
0,38% Amerindian

Thanks and best regards.

Because of the association with Albanians, you will not be getting answers soon since our nationalist neighbours don't want the past to be known clearly but rather erased.

My best recommendation would be to get a higher resolution Y test, and contact the admin Trojet of the ftdna Albanian bloodlines group, he is also an admin on the J2 project and nobody on earth actually knows J2b2-l283 and all its clades better than him right now

Hello,

100% European
69,1% Iberian
8,9% French&German
2,8% Italian
1,5% British&Irish
1,2% Broadly European

Dodecad V3:
37,60% West European
32,67% Mediterranean
11,78% West Asian
7,74% East European
3,21% Southwestern Asian
0.51% Northeast Asian
0,42% South Asian

EEF-WHG-ANE:

Eurogenes K13:
35,88% North Atlantic
11,59% Baltic
2,34% West Asian
1,69% Red Sea
1,58% Sub-saharan
1,04% South Asian
0,38% Amerindian

Thanks and best regards.
its an Indo-European haplo. Its responsible for Indo-European languages together with R . Galician is an Indo-European language

Isn't Galicia in Spain supposedly very Celtic oriented? Some Celt tribes also settled in in Galatia area of Turkey. Wouldn't it be funny if it turned out that some of the Albanians are Celts? After ll they were knocking around the Balkans for couple of hundred years.

Isn't Galicia in Spain supposedly very Celtic oriented? Some Celt tribes also settled in in Galatia area of Turkey. Wouldn't it be funny if it turned out that some of the Albanians are Celts? After ll they were knocking around the Balkans for couple of hundred years.
I'm sure that would be convenient for your territorial claims and that theory would make you very happy, but only in a parallel universe.

L283 was already found in Bronze Age Southern Dalmatia, literally 4-5 hours drive from North Albania.

I'm sure that would be convenient for your territorial claims and that theory would make you very happy, but only in a parallel universe.

L283 was already found in Bronze Age Southern Dalmatia, literally 4-5 hours drive from North Albania.
Not to mention over 1000 years prior to any celtic presence in the balkans

After learning a bit more. It seems J-L283 in iberia peninsula has to do with very ancient times around neolithic era probably. Its speculated steppe peoples came into iberia but were replaced by bell beakers, as earlier older balearic islanders had more steppe ancestry than younger ones.
Don't know for sure, but it seems to point to this. And there is speculation that ancient sardinians and ancient iberians may have some kind connection which is very plausible. I am not familiar if sardinians have steppe ancestry or have steppe haplogroups. I think i recall an mtdna resembling a steppe clade of haplogroup U but I am not sure

Last updates about getting deeper in my haplogroup tells about positive for J-Z597 and negative for J-Z638. I suppose it will be around J-CTS6190, linked to the several Portugueses targeted in them. I will tell you in a pair of weeks.

Last updates about getting deeper in my haplogroup tells about positive for J-Z597 and negative for J-Z638. I suppose it will be around J-CTS6190, linked to the several Portugueses targeted in them. I will tell you in a pair of weeks.

Great! I suppose you're testing the J2b-M12 Panel at YSEQ. As it stands, you might also end up under J-Y146400. If not, you will be in the J-Y15058 branch aka J-CTS3617, the same as I4331 MBA Dalmatia. Either way, do let us know where you end up..

There is a new Greek YF63494 under J-FGC55768, I think he is different from that Greek related to Thaci-Korbi. Also some Serb (?) J-BY38004, and I heard Skenderović (with dys385a=10) is J-Y105578*. Russian YF63121 from Vladimir oblast also has dys385a=10 so this value seems of some importance fro this clade (occurs in J-PH1553 too). At only 12 STR's Skenderovic is 5/12 with YF63121, 4 are slow STR's, and at a fast STR they differ by 4, so their TRMCA is likely about 2800 ybp or so. I assume Skenderovic tested with YSEQ so that means he is Y145902- (they have an SNP at that level in their panel).
That's now quite a few of "basal" Z631's the in Western Balkan area suggesting it began there before its large expansion.

Mods, please move this to "J2b2-L283 (proto-illyrian)", wasn't looking closely at the title..[h=3][/h]

Finally, I am positive in CTS3617 and negative in all known downstream branches of that subclade.

Finally, I am positive in CTS3617 and negative in all known downstream branches of that subclade.

Thanks for the update. I see YSEQ doesn't test for Z38240. So you could theoretically be J-Z38240* (PH1602- CTS6190-): https://www.yfull.com/tree/J-Y15058/. Either way, you do belong to the same sub-branch as I4331 from MBA Croatia, which actually was also Y15058+ aka CTS3617, and negative on SNPs for subclades Z40052, PH1602, and Z38240? So your most interesting samples could be I4331 or the Sardinian that's on YFull. However, it's likely you aren't related to any of them since the Y15058 mutation (~3900 ybp), as is the case with other samples. If you ever take the BigY or another NGS test, your private SNP mutations can be compared to I4331, the Sardinian, or the J-Z38240* sample from Norway.

Thank you very much, Trojet. I have compared my raw data to I4331 in Gedmatch and I didn't found matches, I suppose too much time 3600 years between us, but autosomally we are extremely similar, it's very curious, in fact that ancient Dalmatian boy was autosomally very similar to actual North Italians, Portugueses and Western Spaniards. I believe no matches should be the same with the Sardinian and the Norse ones?. So getting deeper in the SNP's would tell me something more... perhaps in the future, thank you very much again.

Last edited:
Interesting, he is probably a goth or suebian J-L283. They are celtic in culture but the kingdom of galacia was originally suebian.
Celts were halstatt culture in 8 century BC.
His J-L283 was already in the balkans far earlier than that.

Hi David, I'm also Galician on my father side and I also share your same haplogroup. I'm J-Z631. I guess we have an ancestor in common!

This thread has been viewed 16256 times.

Back