What do you think is the ethnic make-up of this man?

Strudel

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Deutsch
mtDNA haplogroup
H4a1a1a
IMG-5517.jpg

Age 50

IMG-5523.jpg

Age 35

IMG-5526-2.jpg

Age 43 - at the right side, with brother on the left side

French....??

Interesting. Thanks for answering. I am not sure yet if there is any French. It could be. Stay tuned as I will post a DNA thread in the next couple of months.

Italian?

I didn't look at the second photo carefully. Not Italian.

Either southern German or maybe a little east of that.

Italian?
I didn't look at the second photo carefully. Not Italian.
Either southern German or maybe a little east of that.
Thanks for your input, Angela. This is my dad. Yes, I do believe Southern German. Of course with tests as of now we can only have "French & German" as a result. I am not sure if we will get more distinctions in this population with future and more results. But, as per paper-trail and history, yes - Southern German and quite likely also Eastern European. His family were one of the Habsburg Catholic German Trek to Hungary in the 18th Century and even though living in a fairly insular village must have some admixture in there, or even from before that time. I have always had a sense of Eastern influence in my dad. We shall see. I did my very first DNA test yesterday! I'll wait for my own results before asking my dad to kindly take a test too.

Thanks for your input, Angela. This is my dad. Yes, I do believe Southern German. Of course with tests as of now we can only have "French & German" as a result. I am not sure if we will get more distinctions in this population with future and more results. But, as per paper-trail and history, yes - Southern German and quite likely also Eastern European. His family were one of the Habsburg Catholic German Trek to Hungary in the 18th Century and even though living in a fairly insular village must have some admixture in there, or even from before that time. I have always had a sense of Eastern influence in my dad. We shall see. I did my very first DNA test yesterday! I'll wait for my own results before asking my dad to kindly take a test too.

I actually saw more of the "eastern" in his brother. My first thought was Hungarian for him, but not for your Dad, who really does look southern German to me.

I also see a few similarities with an Italian journalist, writer, and intellectual: Marco Travaglio. It's in the very wide skull tapering down to the pointed bottom half of the face. There's also a certain elegance and fineness of feature when he was young.

marco-travaglio-servizio-pubblico-16-gennaio-2014.jpg

marcotravaglio.jpg

I actually saw more of the "eastern" in his brother. My first thought was Hungarian for him, but not for your Dad, who really does look southern German to me.

Ah, okay. I see. My uncle does look to me as if he inherited a bit of a different mixture of phenotypal genes. Interesting how this happens. Some siblings can look extremely similar in families, while in others there is a noticeable (physically) split in what is inherited. For instance, my uncle Franz (pictured - deceased unfortunately for many years) as well as my dad’s other brother have a stocky build and more round or plump facial proportions. My dad has a lanky build and even though he has been active and robust building muscle, I would still describe him as sinewy, rather than bulky. He also has pretty sharp features including more prominent cheek bones than usual, a long nose with the top bump (which I have always been told I must have inherited from him) with the big forehead, as you mentioned. I find Franz’s face has a softer look. I am not sure what any of this means, but as per genetic/ethnic mix, it is intriguing.

Do Magyars or Slavs look more like Franz? I know all of the Croatians and most Polish I have known well do have rounder faces.

I also see a few similarities with an Italian journalist, writer, and intellectual: Marco Travaglio. It's in the very wide skull tapering down to the pointed bottom half of the face. There's also a certain elegance and fineness of feature when he was young.

pastedGraphic.png

pastedGraphic_1.png

I see it. Yes. Although, also I see some differences. My dad has thin lips, his nose is not as perfect straight, his head length is maybe not quite as long as this man’s and also his skin tone is different. But, this is obviously questionable to make a judgment on based on a photo. Still, reasonably close.

This thread has been viewed 7160 times.

Back