Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 892

Thread: Are South Slavs more Balkan Native than Slavic?

  1. #1
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    HiveMindTerror's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-05-18
    Posts
    27
    Points
    2,066
    Level
    12
    Points: 2,066, Level: 12
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 25.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-F3145
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H11A

    Ethnic group
    Bosnian-Croat
    Country: Canada



    Question Are South Slavs more Balkan Native than Slavic?

    I'm genuinely curious if this has been "decided" anywhere by credible researchers.

    South Slavs have a different stock of haplogroups than Northern Slavs, and cluster together rather than with other European groups. Clearly we're our own family-branch.

    Coincidentally the people with the highest portion of M423 also dwell in what the Romans and Greeks labelled Illyria. Although most people think the Illyrians simply vanished after their Latinization, some kept their ethnic identity for a long time (such as the Barracks Emperors, Belisarius, etc.). I know the Balkans were generally a war-zone for the late Roman Empire and barbarian tribes, but did the Illyrians really just vanish (again)? I mean, Albanians claim to be of that stock but have more in common with Greeks genetically than South Slavs, and Albania was generally a kind of borderline between Illyria proper and Greece (Epirus).

    Historically it was said that many Roman cities on the Croatian coast remained free and independent of the "migrant Slavs" and Latin Dalmatian was spoken well into the 1800's (from what I recall). Haplogroup I2 spikes in Dalmatia and Bosnia, one packed with seemingly peaceful Illyrian towns, the other a mountainous escape for natives from invading foreigners.

    I mean, from the mosaics of Roman-Illyrian Emperors and Generals in Byzantium, I can definitely see more of a resemblance to many Southern Slavs than I can when comparing typical Bosnians to typical Russians. At the same time there is definitely a Slavic (or whatever northern European tribe) mix in Balkanians for sure, but mainly were we simply Slavicized after the collapse of the Western and Eastern Roman Empires?

    Croatians were historically referred to as Illyrians, Serbs were synonymous with Tribalians (Thracian tribe), and Bosnia is named after the Bosona river (an Illyrian word if I recall correctly). I mean people of haplogroup I are noted for being particularly tall, the Greeks and Romans both described Illyrians as particularly tall people.

    Can they ever dig up Illyrian bones and sequence their haplogroups?

  2. #2
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-08-18
    Posts
    842
    Points
    10,677
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,677, Level: 31
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 76.0%


    Country: Germany



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    There probably isn't much scholarly interest in such questions. In any case South Slavs are majority Slavic in most cases, as is I2a-Din. Autosomally Serbs seem to be the most Paleo-Balkanic of the Slavs in that they have greater affinity to Albanian and Tuscan populations (though the sample below includes Slavicized groups like the inhabitants of the Sandžak region). To get an idea consider these models, wherin Albanians serve as a proxy for the native population:

    Slovenian: 72.5% Polish + 27.5% Albanian Fit: 0.702
    Croatian: 70.83% Polish + 29.17% Albanian Fit: 0.52
    Bosnian: 59.17% Polish + 40.83% Albanian Fit: 0.7791
    Serbian: 40% Polish + 60% Albanian Fit: 0.8004

    Y-DNA haplogroups are almost completely Slavic, especially in Bosnia and northern Croatia. The Paleo-Balkanic admixture must have come from women. Exceptions are again the
    Sandžak populations with their Paleo-Balkanic haplogroup profile and the Serbs who seem to trace ~15-18% of their paternal lineages to a population that could have been Germanic.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Dibran's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-09-16
    Posts
    758
    Points
    11,153
    Level
    31
    Points: 11,153, Level: 31
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 28.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-L1029*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H11a2*-146+

    Ethnic group
    Albanian/Gheg/Dibran/Okshtun
    Country: United States



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by HiveMindTerror View Post
    I'm genuinely curious if this has been "decided" anywhere by credible researchers.

    South Slavs have a different stock of haplogroups than Northern Slavs, and cluster together rather than with other European groups. Clearly we're our own family-branch.

    Coincidentally the people with the highest portion of M423 also dwell in what the Romans and Greeks labelled Illyria. Although most people think the Illyrians simply vanished after their Latinization, some kept their ethnic identity for a long time (such as the Barracks Emperors, Belisarius, etc.). I know the Balkans were generally a war-zone for the late Roman Empire and barbarian tribes, but did the Illyrians really just vanish (again)? I mean, Albanians claim to be of that stock but have more in common with Greeks genetically than South Slavs, and Albania was generally a kind of borderline between Illyria proper and Greece (Epirus).

    Historically it was said that many Roman cities on the Croatian coast remained free and independent of the "migrant Slavs" and Latin Dalmatian was spoken well into the 1800's (from what I recall). Haplogroup I2 spikes in Dalmatia and Bosnia, one packed with seemingly peaceful Illyrian towns, the other a mountainous escape for natives from invading foreigners.

    I mean, from the mosaics of Roman-Illyrian Emperors and Generals in Byzantium, I can definitely see more of a resemblance to many Southern Slavs than I can when comparing typical Bosnians to typical Russians. At the same time there is definitely a Slavic (or whatever northern European tribe) mix in Balkanians for sure, but mainly were we simply Slavicized after the collapse of the Western and Eastern Roman Empires?

    Croatians were historically referred to as Illyrians, Serbs were synonymous with Tribalians (Thracian tribe), and Bosnia is named after the Bosona river (an Illyrian word if I recall correctly). I mean people of haplogroup I are noted for being particularly tall, the Greeks and Romans both described Illyrians as particularly tall people.

    Can they ever dig up Illyrian bones and sequence their haplogroups?
    There already is evidence in what Illyrians carried and it wasn’t I2a-Din. However many South Slavs seem to have an issue with this reality(not saying you). The affinity Albanians share with Greeks is mostly autosomal paleobalkan ancestry. J2b-L283, the parent clade to E-V13 and R1b have all been found in Paleo Balkan remains of Illyrian territory. J2b-L283 specifically in a Proto Illyrian from Dalmatia. All three of these lineages are overwhelmingly found among Albanians and practically minimal in South Slavs. Additionally Mycenaean and Minoan remains were J2a, the variety of which is found predominantly in Greeks and Albanians barely have this haplogroup.

    Perhaps Proto Slavs are connected to Dacians and this could leave a slim possibility of I2-Din and R1a being connected to the free Dacians in the Carpathian range. Connecting it to Illyrians is just wishful thinking. While I2 May have been present it surely was not the young clade I2a1b-Din found in south Slavs. Most likely it would be the basal I2a1 or the variety found in Sardinia.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    17-09-17
    Posts
    287
    Points
    2,986
    Level
    15
    Points: 2,986, Level: 15
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by HiveMindTerror View Post
    South Slavs have a different stock of haplogroups than Northern Slavs, and cluster together rather than with other European groups. Clearly we're our own family-branch.

    Coincidentally the people with the highest portion of M423 also dwell in what the Romans and Greeks labelled Illyria.

    You are making a tautological argument there. You're saying South Slavs have I2a, and by coincidence I2a is widespread where Illyrians lived. That's not a coincidence, it's there because of the South Slavs.

    Anyway, there is a very nice post on the origins of I2a here: https://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...l=1#post554069, post 9, by Vlad. The most common clades of the South Slavs today seem to have spread from Ukraine, Belarus and Poland.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    01-09-14
    Location
    Zagreb
    Posts
    614
    Points
    6,228
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,228, Level: 23
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 4.0%


    Ethnic group
    Croatian
    Country: Croatia



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by markod View Post

    Slovenian: 72.5% Polish + 27.5% Albanian Fit: 0.702
    Croatian: 70.83% Polish + 29.17% Albanian Fit: 0.52
    Bosnian: 59.17% Polish + 40.83% Albanian Fit: 0.7791
    Serbian: 40% Polish + 60% Albanian Fit: 0.8004

    Y-DNA haplogroups are almost completely Slavic, especially in Bosnia and northern Croatia. The Paleo-Balkanic admixture must have come from women. Exceptions are again the
    Sandžak populations with their Paleo-Balkanic haplogroup profile and the Serbs who seem to trace ~15-18% of their paternal lineages to a population that could have been Germanic.
    In northern Croatia there are more E1b haplotype (Albanian, Vlach etc) than in southern Croatia. As well as haplogroups R1b and J2b.

    The Paleo-Balkanic admixture must have come from women
    .

    This is possible in southern Croatia but it should be seen in the Y haplotype (it is not visible), women (Ilirian or Vlachs) do not come alone to Dalmatia or remain alone when Croats coming to Dalmatia.

    For that reason, northern Croatia is not completely Slavic if we look at the Y haplotype, it is more Slavic in southern Croatia and Herzegovina.

    https://www.draganprimorac.com/wp-co...ports-2012.pdf

    As for Serbs, they have mixed with Vlachs, historical records speak about Vlachs who largely become today's Serbs, and live a few meters from Albania and Kosovo. Logically they have more Albanian influence and it is now evident in genetics.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    01-09-14
    Location
    Zagreb
    Posts
    614
    Points
    6,228
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,228, Level: 23
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 4.0%


    Ethnic group
    Croatian
    Country: Croatia



    Quote Originally Posted by Ownstyler View Post
    You are making a tautological argument there. You're saying South Slavs have I2a, and by coincidence I2a is widespread where Illyrians lived. That's not a coincidence, it's there because of the South Slavs.

    Anyway, there is a very nice post on the origins of I2a here: https://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...l=1#post554069, post 9, by Vlad. The most common clades of the South Slavs today seem to have spread from Ukraine, Belarus and Poland.
    This is migration of White Croats.

    https://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...ats-to-Croatia

  7. #7
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-08-18
    Posts
    842
    Points
    10,677
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,677, Level: 31
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 76.0%


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by hrvat22 View Post
    In northern Croatia there are more E1b haplotype (Albanian, Vlach etc) than in southern Croatia. As well as haplogroups R1b and J2b.

    .

    This is possible in southern Croatia but it should be seen in the Y haplotype (it is not visible), women (Ilirian or Vlachs) do not come alone to Dalmatia or remain alone when Croats coming to Dalmatia.

    For that reason, northern Croatia is not completely Slavic if we look at the Y haplotype, it is more Slavic in southern Croatia and Herzegovina.

    https://www.draganprimorac.com/wp-co...ports-2012.pdf

    As for Serbs, they have mixed with Vlachs, historical records speak about Vlachs who largely become today's Serbs, and live a few meters from Albania and Kosovo. Logically they have more Albanian influence and it is now evident in genetics.
    You're right, I was thinking about south-western Croatia and Rijeka.

    I disagree that admixture necessarily shows in the Y-chromosomal haplotypes to a significant extent. In fact this isn't expected at all in male-biased migrations.

  8. #8
    Banned Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

    Join Date
    22-07-18
    Posts
    377
    Points
    2,436
    Level
    13
    Points: 2,436, Level: 13
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 12.0%


    Country: Romania



    After all ... what does the Slav mean?! Haplogrup, whatever it is, I do not think it means... Genetically, they are almost identical to those around them, even if they do not call themselves Slavs.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    01-09-14
    Location
    Zagreb
    Posts
    614
    Points
    6,228
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,228, Level: 23
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 4.0%


    Ethnic group
    Croatian
    Country: Croatia



    Quote Originally Posted by markod View Post
    I disagree that admixture necessarily shows in the Y-chromosomal haplotypes to a significant extent. In fact this isn't expected at all in male-biased migrations.
    But women do not go alone, if in the south Croatia exist
    Paleo-Balkanicgenetic influence
    and suppose it is from Vlachs or Ilirian influence, where are E1b, J2 and R1b balkan types in south Croatia. If you have scientific work who speaks about Paleo-Balkanic genetic in south Croatia then show it. I suppose it has more Paleo-Balkanic genetic in North and Northwest Croatia, for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

    I say this because I have not seen any scientific work for south Croatia, if it is written somewhere I will respect it and then give a new answer when I see results from that scientific work.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-08-18
    Posts
    842
    Points
    10,677
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,677, Level: 31
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 76.0%


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by hrvat22 View Post
    But women do not go alone, if in the south Croatia exist and suppose it is from Vlachs or Ilirian influence, where are E1b, J2 and R1b balkan types in south Croatia. If you have scientific work who speaks about Paleo-Balkanic genetic in south Croatia then show it. I suppose it has more Paleo-Balkanic genetic in North and Northwest Croatia, for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

    I say this because I have not seen any scientific work for south Croatia, if it is written somewhere I will respect it and then give a new answer when I see results from that scientific work.
    Ask yourself this: why are Bosnian Croats autosomally closer to Albanians than, say, Kajkavians despite having a more Slavic Y-haploid profile?

    The answer is obviously male-biased migration.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    01-09-14
    Location
    Zagreb
    Posts
    614
    Points
    6,228
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,228, Level: 23
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 4.0%


    Ethnic group
    Croatian
    Country: Croatia



    Quote Originally Posted by markod View Post
    Ask yourself this: why are Bosnian Croats autosomally closer to Albanians than, say, Kajkavians despite having a more Slavic Y-haploid profile?

    The answer is obviously male-biased migration.
    In which scientific work writes this?

  12. #12
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-08-18
    Posts
    842
    Points
    10,677
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,677, Level: 31
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 76.0%


    Country: Germany



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrvat22 View Post
    In which scientific work writes this?


    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...e-0105090-g002

    As you can see, Bosnian Croats are autosomally more southern (i. e. Balkanic) even than Muslim Bosnians. You can test this yourself with more accurate formal models if you want to explore this in more detail.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tutkun Arnaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-03-18
    Posts
    277

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a2a(m223)(L801)

    Country: Albania



    0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    south Slavs are fine Europeans. they are my neighbors. the only thing I dont like about them is their sexuality.

    EDITED BY A MODERATOR
    Last edited by Angela; 09-11-18 at 19:46.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    01-09-14
    Location
    Zagreb
    Posts
    614
    Points
    6,228
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,228, Level: 23
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 4.0%


    Ethnic group
    Croatian
    Country: Croatia



    Quote Originally Posted by markod View Post


    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...e-0105090-g002

    As you can see, Bosnian Croats are autosomally more southern (i. e. Balkanic) even than Muslim Bosnians. You can test this yourself with more accurate formal models if you want to explore this in more detail.
    Genetic analysis based upon the variation of Y chromosome haplogroups (hgs) has revealed that the populations of Western Balkan countries share a large fraction of the ancient gene pool of Southeastern Europe, where 70% of the paternal lineages consist of five European-specific hgs: E3b1, I-P37(xM26), J2, R1a, and R1b [31]. Marjanovic et al. [32] suggested that the frequency of NRY hg I-P37 observed in Bosnia and Herzegovina is particularly high and could be partially attributed to genetic drift. High frequencies of hg I-P37 are observed both in Bosniacs (Bosnian Muslims) (43.5%) and Bosnian Serbs (30.9%). This shows that different ethnic groups in Bosnia and Herzegovina share a large subset of their paternal lineages, affected by a major demographic event, the post-LGM expansion. A population with a high frequency of I-P37 from one of the refuges, located possibly in the Balkans, played a great role in the peopling of Bosnia and Herzegovina and surrounding areas. Similar results were observed for Croatian populations [
    This is a scientific paper from 2014, he's out of date. At that time and I2a I-P37 is a Balkanic so we can not make a proper conclusion.

  15. #15
    Banned Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

    Join Date
    22-07-18
    Posts
    377
    Points
    2,436
    Level
    13
    Points: 2,436, Level: 13
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 12.0%


    Country: Romania



    Quote Originally Posted by Tutkun Arnaut View Post
    south Slavs are fine Europeans. they are my neighbors. the only thing I dont like about them is their sexuality. They are going in the wrong whole
    loool!...
    "Torna, torna, Fratre!" :)

  16. #16
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-08-18
    Posts
    842
    Points
    10,677
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,677, Level: 31
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 76.0%


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by hrvat22 View Post
    This is a scientific paper from 2014, he's out of date. At that time and I2a I-P37 is a Balkanic so we can not make a proper conclusion.
    The haploid data is irrelevant here - we are talking about the autosomal DNA. As can be deduced from the models I posted above, Bosnian Croats should trace about half of their ancestry to populations that were very similar to present day Albanians.

    This is in all likelihood the Paleo-Balkanic signal.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    01-09-14
    Location
    Zagreb
    Posts
    614
    Points
    6,228
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,228, Level: 23
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 4.0%


    Ethnic group
    Croatian
    Country: Croatia



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by markod View Post
    The haploid data is irrelevant here - we are talking about the autosomal DNA. As can be deduced from the models I posted above, Bosnian Croats should trace about half of their ancestry to populations that were very similar to present day Albanians.

    This is in all likelihood the Paleo-Balkanic signal.
    Croats in Bosnia were surrounded by newly arrived Vlachs and marrying with Vlachs women's is possible, but we do not have data for south Croatia. In scientific work are only this data
    Croatia (mainland, Zagreb region)
    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...e.0105090.g001

  18. #18
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-08-18
    Posts
    842
    Points
    10,677
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,677, Level: 31
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 76.0%


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by hrvat22 View Post
    Croats in Bosnia were surrounded by newly arrived Vlachs and marrying with Vlachs women's is possible, but we do not have data for south Croatia. In scientific work are only this data

    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...e.0105090.g001
    Yeah I think that's the Croatian sample I also used in my models. I would be very surprised if Dalmatians weren't more Paleo-Balkanic than Croats from Zagreb though.

  19. #19
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,958
    Points
    257,873
    Level
    100
    Points: 257,873, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Tutkun Arnaut View Post
    south Slavs are fine Europeans. they are my neighbors. the only thing I dont like about them is their sexuality.
    Watch your mouth or there will be trouble. You're lucky you didn't get an infraction.


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  20. #20
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    HiveMindTerror's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-05-18
    Posts
    27
    Points
    2,066
    Level
    12
    Points: 2,066, Level: 12
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 25.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-F3145
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H11A

    Ethnic group
    Bosnian-Croat
    Country: Canada



    The way you're all making it sound is just that we're purely mixed between Slavs and Natives.

    Don't understand some of the terminology because I'm a true layman, but thats how ive come to understand all the posts so far.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    ihype02's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-10-16
    Posts
    300
    Points
    1,893
    Level
    12
    Points: 1,893, Level: 12
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Overall activity: 2.0%


    Country: Albania



    3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
    I think Serbs Bulgarians and Macedonians are more Native, Croats, Slovenes and Bosnians are more Slavic.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tutkun Arnaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-03-18
    Posts
    277

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a2a(m223)(L801)

    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Watch your mouth or there will be trouble. You're lucky you didn't get an infraction.
    sorry! I thought it was a harmless joke!

  23. #23
    Moderator Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second ClassThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award

    Join Date
    21-10-16
    Posts
    1,723
    Points
    26,307
    Level
    49
    Points: 26,307, Level: 49
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 39.0%


    Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    Quote Originally Posted by markod View Post
    There probably isn't much scholarly interest in such questions. In any case South Slavs are majority Slavic in most cases, as is I2a-Din. Autosomally Serbs seem to be the most Paleo-Balkanic of the Slavs in that they have greater affinity to Albanian and Tuscan populations (though the sample below includes Slavicized groups like the inhabitants of the Sandžak region). To get an idea consider these models, wherin Albanians serve as a proxy for the native population:

    Slovenian: 72.5% Polish + 27.5% Albanian Fit: 0.702
    Croatian: 70.83% Polish + 29.17% Albanian Fit: 0.52
    Bosnian: 59.17% Polish + 40.83% Albanian Fit: 0.7791
    Serbian: 40% Polish + 60% Albanian Fit: 0.8004

    Y-DNA haplogroups are almost completely Slavic, especially in Bosnia and northern Croatia. The Paleo-Balkanic admixture must have come from women. Exceptions are again the
    Sandžak populations with their Paleo-Balkanic haplogroup profile and the Serbs who seem to trace ~15-18% of their paternal lineages to a population that could have been Germanic.
    That is very interesting, but I must say I have one strong doubt about this analysis: should we really assume that the pre-Slavic population of the northern parts of the Balkans, like Slovenia, Croatia or even Bosnia and Northern Serbia, were as "southern" autosomally as Albania? I'd expect them to be at least a bit more shifted to Northern/Northeastern Europe in the north-south genetic cline of Europe, though also much more southern-like than the present South Slavic population. Anyhow I certainly think Illyrians in Albania, living in a mountainous region close to Greece, were not necessarily the same autosomally as the and were probably a bit less exposed by Northern European admixture since the earlier antiquity (much like Greece had been much less influenced by Northeastern European/BA Steppe-like ancestry than lands to its north). The relative connections of Illyrian (if Albanian is assumed to be its descendant) with Germanic and Balto-Slavic also lead me to believe that the first Illyrians were probably more Northern European than some of their acculturated descendants more descended from EEF populations, and their impact was lower in the Mediterranean basin (much like Greeks vis a vis Proto-Greeks).

    Therefore, of course I'm totally speculating, but I expect that these % of Albanian in the model kind of underestimate the true level of Pre-Slavic ancestry in Northern Balkanic populations, especially in the interior easily linked to the Pannonian plain and the Danubian basin. E.g. a model estimate of 29.17% for Croatians in my totally subjective guesstimate would indicate more likely something on the order of 35-45% of Pre-Slavic ancestry. I have a hard time believing that the Early Slavic population's numbers were so extremely large that they they'd have settled and acculturated lands from Eastern Germany to Russia and down to Bulgaria and even parts of Greece, and yet they'd have extant people enough to cause by themselves an autosomal impact of more than 70% in Croatia and Slovenia, a feat that would've required a massive family migration, not a male-biased immigration and conquest (almost impossible that such a kind of migration would've left such a huge genetic imprint).

    What do you guys think about this possibility that many Illyrians (and also Thracians and Dacians, who also lived in South Slavic countries, especially Serbia) were not a homogeneous population ideally represented by modern Albanians?

  24. #24
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    HiveMindTerror's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-05-18
    Posts
    27
    Points
    2,066
    Level
    12
    Points: 2,066, Level: 12
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 25.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-F3145
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H11A

    Ethnic group
    Bosnian-Croat
    Country: Canada



    Quote Originally Posted by Ygorcs View Post
    That is very interesting, but I must say I have one strong doubt about this analysis: should we really assume that the pre-Slavic population of the northern parts of the Balkans, like Slovenia, Croatia or even Bosnia and Northern Serbia, were as "southern" autosomally as Albania? I'd expect them to be at least a bit more shifted to Northern/Northeastern Europe in the north-south genetic cline of Europe, though also much more southern-like than the present South Slavic population. Anyhow I certainly think Illyrians in Albania, living in a mountainous region close to Greece, were not necessarily the same autosomally as the and were probably a bit less exposed by Northern European admixture since the earlier antiquity (much like Greece had been much less influenced by Northeastern European/BA Steppe-like ancestry than lands to its north). The relative connections of Illyrian (if Albanian is assumed to be its descendant) with Germanic and Balto-Slavic also lead me to believe that the first Illyrians were probably more Northern European than some of their acculturated descendants more descended from EEF populations, and their impact was lower in the Mediterranean basin (much like Greeks vis a vis Proto-Greeks).

    Therefore, of course I'm totally speculating, but I expect that these % of Albanian in the model kind of underestimate the true level of Pre-Slavic ancestry in Northern Balkanic populations, especially in the interior easily linked to the Pannonian plain and the Danubian basin. E.g. a model estimate of 29.17% for Croatians in my totally subjective guesstimate would indicate more likely something on the order of 35-45% of Pre-Slavic ancestry. I have a hard time believing that the Early Slavic population's numbers were so extremely large that they they'd have settled and acculturated lands from Eastern Germany to Russia and down to Bulgaria and even parts of Greece, and yet they'd have extant people enough to cause by themselves an autosomal impact of more than 70% in Croatia and Slovenia, a feat that would've required a massive family migration, not a male-biased immigration and conquest (almost impossible that such a kind of migration would've left such a huge genetic imprint).

    What do you guys think about this possibility that many Illyrians (and also Thracians and Dacians, who also lived in South Slavic countries, especially Serbia) were not a homogeneous population ideally represented by modern Albanians?
    well according to Dibran;
    "There already is evidence in what Illyrians carried and it wasn’t I2a-Din. However many South Slavs seem to have an issue with this reality(not saying you)*. The affinity Albanians share with Greeks is mostly autosomal paleobalkan ancestry. J2b-L283, the parent clade to E-V13 and R1b have all been found in Paleo Balkan remains of Illyrian territory. J2b-L283 specifically in a Proto Illyrian from Dalmatia. All three of these lineages are overwhelmingly found among Albanians and practically minimal in South Slavs. Additionally Mycenaean and Minoan remains were J2a, the variety of which is found predominantly in Greeks and Albanians barely have this haplogroup. "

    Apparently Illyrian remains don't carry any I2, although I don't know his source on this. Have people dug up ancient burials to research haplogroups and genetics? Also I don't know the what the difference is with autosomal dna and haplogroups.

    *I don't think we have any issues with anything, we just want to know. Over the years I've heard it go from: "Oh yeah, Croats are Sarmatians, 100%." Then "Oh yeah Croats are Illyrians 100%." Now it's "Oh yeah Croats are Slavs 100%." Speaking for myself, I just plain want to know where I come from, who my ancestors were. I think the Illyrian theory in particular seems so credible because, as I said in my OP: we're so unique when compared to other European ethnic groups (even Slavs), and are closest to one another genetically. That the only population in Europe who is very closely related, happens to be in a region of Europe where a very unique ancient ethnic group once existed that had their own language and existed only there, just seems very intriguing. Either way, I'm not saying we are Illyrian or whatever, I just want to know. If they dig up Sarmatian burial mounds one day and all the males are I2a I'll be just as cool with that lmao.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Dibran's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-09-16
    Posts
    758
    Points
    11,153
    Level
    31
    Points: 11,153, Level: 31
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 28.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-L1029*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H11a2*-146+

    Ethnic group
    Albanian/Gheg/Dibran/Okshtun
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by HiveMindTerror View Post
    well according to Dibran;
    "There already is evidence in what Illyrians carried and it wasn’t I2a-Din. However many South Slavs seem to have an issue with this reality(not saying you)*. The affinity Albanians share with Greeks is mostly autosomal paleobalkan ancestry. J2b-L283, the parent clade to E-V13 and R1b have all been found in Paleo Balkan remains of Illyrian territory. J2b-L283 specifically in a Proto Illyrian from Dalmatia. All three of these lineages are overwhelmingly found among Albanians and practically minimal in South Slavs. Additionally Mycenaean and Minoan remains were J2a, the variety of which is found predominantly in Greeks and Albanians barely have this haplogroup. "

    Apparently Illyrian remains don't carry any I2, although I don't know his source on this. Have people dug up ancient burials to research haplogroups and genetics? Also I don't know the what the difference is with autosomal dna and haplogroups.

    *I don't think we have any issues with anything, we just want to know. Over the years I've heard it go from: "Oh yeah, Croats are Sarmatians, 100%." Then "Oh yeah Croats are Illyrians 100%." Now it's "Oh yeah Croats are Slavs 100%." Speaking for myself, I just plain want to know where I come from, who my ancestors were. I think the Illyrian theory in particular seems so credible because, as I said in my OP: we're so unique when compared to other European ethnic groups (even Slavs), and are closest to one another genetically. That the only population in Europe who is very closely related, happens to be in a region of Europe where a very unique ancient ethnic group once existed that had their own language and existed only there, just seems very intriguing. Either way, I'm not saying we are Illyrian or whatever, I just want to know. If they dig up Sarmatian burial mounds one day and all the males are I2a I'll be just as cool with that lmao.
    its not according to me. It’s according to the actual DNA results. A simple google search will bring it up for you. There’s published papers that mention these. Specifically J2b-L283 in specific. If you go to the haplo section for J2 it mentions the sample I am referring to.

    Slavs married native women. That explains how native dna was passed down into Balkan Slavs. Paternally you’re Slavic. Technically so is my line. Even though I’m Albanian it probably arrived with Proto Slavs during the Middle Ages. Nothing to be ashamed about.

    The only souths Slavs with native paternal Y chromosomes are Bulgarians Macedonians and to some extent Montenegrin and Serbs. However most Serbs, Bosnians and Croats are paternally descended from Slavs in majority.

    Theres been no I2a1b in Illyrians. The clade almost all south Slavs belong is exclusively a young downstream clade under CTS10228. The parent of which was found in Motala.

    Sarmatian elite were probably R1a-Z93 and R1b-Z2103. Much of the groups referred to as Sarmatians were probably Proto Slavic any ways. The only Balkan group that could maybe be connected to Proto slavic tribes is Dacians in the Carpathians. Not Illyrians.

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •