Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 99

Thread: China, China, China!

  1. #1
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    15,604
    Points
    299,081
    Level
    100
    Points: 299,081, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

    China, China, China!



    Every time I turn around I see more and more disturbing news from China.

    I started this thread a while ago.
    https://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...highlight=1984


    Now there's this:
    China’s brightest children are being recruited to develop AI ‘killer bots’





    • Beijing Institute of Technology recruits 31 ‘patriotic’ youngsters for new AI weapons development programme
    • Expert in international science policy describes course as ‘extremely powerful and troubling’

    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/scie...elop-ai-killer








    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  2. #2
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    ToBeOrNotToBe's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-12-16
    Posts
    1,116


    Country: United Kingdom



    The Chinese don't innovate, and this isn't anything racialist as Japan does. Even today, they mostly copy US and Japanese tech - I can't think of any industry-leading Chinese companies, for example.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    03-01-17
    Posts
    55
    Points
    2,705
    Level
    14
    Points: 2,705, Level: 14
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Netherlands



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I don't know why everybody is obsessed with Putin and Russia; China is way more dangerous!

    And the Chinese will dominate various branches of technology and industry soon enough; they educate incredible numbers of engineers; they send their kids to the best schools in the West; and in the meantime, westerners are wasting their time on nonsense like genderstudies...

  4. #4
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    bicicleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    27-01-13
    Location
    Zwevegem, Belgium
    Posts
    5,382
    Points
    47,218
    Level
    67
    Points: 47,218, Level: 67
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 54.0%


    Country: Belgium - Flanders



    Quote Originally Posted by ToBeOrNotToBe View Post
    The Chinese don't innovate, and this isn't anything racialist as Japan does. Even today, they mostly copy US and Japanese tech - I can't think of any industry-leading Chinese companies, for example.
    they don't have the cheapest labour any more
    and - unlike the Japanese - they will innovate

  5. #5
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    bicicleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    27-01-13
    Location
    Zwevegem, Belgium
    Posts
    5,382
    Points
    47,218
    Level
    67
    Points: 47,218, Level: 67
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 54.0%


    Country: Belgium - Flanders



    the Big Brother in China is worriesome indeed
    but as long as they don't try to export this concept, I don't feel threatened

    some try to abuse the fear for China
    Belgian politicians did so when China tried to invest in the Belgian electrity grid
    they said China would spy and get to much know-how from the Belgian electrity grid management
    and the press didn't have any critics on that, they played along with the politicians
    I can't imagine what special know-how Belgium has in electricity distribution that the Chinese can't figure out for themselves
    the real reason is, the Belgian electrity grid has a monopoly, protected by Belgian law
    and the management is full of political mandates who get very well paid for their zero expertise

  6. #6
    Moderator Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,941
    Points
    98,411
    Level
    97
    Points: 98,411, Level: 97
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 639
    Overall activity: 99.3%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    I bet in the future, when they look back on this time period, they will consider it to be similar to another Cold War. China is indeed the USA's greatest rival, that is creating another bi-polar world. The more and more, we relinquish our uni-polarity as the most powerful state; the sooner we will create a bi-polar/multi-polar world, that ultimately results in world war. The "American Century" of the 1900s has facilitated relatively more peace than previous times. That era is coming to an end.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-05-17
    Posts
    2,915
    Points
    36,869
    Level
    59
    Points: 36,869, Level: 59
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 981
    Overall activity: 99.2%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    China, China, China!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    I bet in the future, when they look back on this time period, they will consider it to be similar to another Cold War. China is indeed the USA's greatest rival, that is creating another bi-polar world. The more and more, we relinquish our uni-polarity as the most powerful state; the sooner we will create a bi-polar/multi-polar world, that ultimately results in world war. The "American Century" of the 1900s has facilitated relatively more peace than previous times. That era is coming to an end.
    I’m still processing the statement of President Macron of France listing the “Enemies”, and calling for the creation of a European Army to defend against China, Russia, and the USA.
    The EU Army concept is not new, but the new “enemy” is.
    It seems You could be right, That era is coming to an end.

    Macron:
    ... “We have to protect ourselves with respect to China, Russia and even the United States of America,”

    Mr Macron told France’s Europe 1 radio in an interview ....

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8619721.html
    But you oh Messapo, Tamer of Horses ... that no one, with neither iron nor fire can break down! “Virgil”

  8. #8
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    bicicleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    27-01-13
    Location
    Zwevegem, Belgium
    Posts
    5,382
    Points
    47,218
    Level
    67
    Points: 47,218, Level: 67
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 54.0%


    Country: Belgium - Flanders



    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    I’m still processing the statement of President Macron of France listing the “Enemies”, and calling for the creation of a European Army to defend against China, Russia, and the USA.
    The EU Army concept is not new, but the new “enemy” is.
    It seems You could be right, That era is coming to an end.
    Macron:
    ... “We have to protect ourselves with respect to China, Russia and even the United States of America,”

    Mr Macron told France’s Europe 1 radio in an interview ....
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8619721.html
    Macron doesn't see the US as a threat to Europe
    he sees Trump as a threat to the political caste to which he belongs

    he's also not happy with the very recent Belgian decission to buy American F-35 fighterplanes instead of the French Dassault Raphale
    he feels France is losing controll over its own weaponry

  9. #9
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    03-01-17
    Posts
    55
    Points
    2,705
    Level
    14
    Points: 2,705, Level: 14
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Netherlands



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    The West has itself to blame for the Chinese threat, as China's rise has been immensely stimulated by our stupid policy of exporting our industry to that country (politicians call this "free trade").

  10. #10
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    15,604
    Points
    299,081
    Level
    100
    Points: 299,081, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Some very good insights here. I'd only add that China is indeed becoming a threat to its neighbors, and if its industrial might grows, the threat will widen.

    The situation reminds me of that of Japan in the first decades of the 20th century.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    hrvclv's Avatar
    Join Date
    14-03-17
    Location
    Auvergne, France
    Posts
    410
    Points
    9,779
    Level
    29
    Points: 9,779, Level: 29
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 5.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U152-DF103
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1bm

    Ethnic group
    Arvern
    Country: France



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    The Chinese are now buying farmland in France. Why shouldn't they, if we are stupid enough to let them do it?

    One glimmer of hope, though : for the first time in years, Chinese growth has dropped below its traditional two-figure levels. Last I heard for 2018 was 6.5%. Far better than any country in the EU, for sure, but still, things may be changing there too.

    I don't think Macron fears any US "invasion" of France. He is worried US military strength might serve as leverage for economic blackmail (something like what is currently going on with the Iranian sanctions, and French firms being deterred from trading there). He is also concerned the EU might some day be abruptly left to fend for itself, with the US withdrawing from the NATO burden. Well, if it happens, the Europeans will have nobody to blame but themselves.
    It is therefore worth while to search out the bounds between opinion and knowledge; and examine by what measures, in things whereof we have no certain knowledge, we ought to regulate our assent and moderate our persuasion. (John Locke)

  12. #12
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    03-01-17
    Posts
    55
    Points
    2,705
    Level
    14
    Points: 2,705, Level: 14
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Netherlands



    It is laudable and courageous that Trump is implementing these tariffs to put an end to the decades-long policy of economic capitulation toward China; but it is too late to make the Chinese threat go away; - the sleeping giant has woken up!

  13. #13
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    03-01-17
    Posts
    55
    Points
    2,705
    Level
    14
    Points: 2,705, Level: 14
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Netherlands



    I also think it is time to seriously consider what to do with NATO - the way things are going now, we are pushing the Russians right into the arms of the Chinese! In the long term, the Russians have a lot to fear from China, especially in Siberia; we have a lot more to fear from the Chinese than from the Russians; so I think it is time we try to become friends again.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    hrvclv's Avatar
    Join Date
    14-03-17
    Location
    Auvergne, France
    Posts
    410
    Points
    9,779
    Level
    29
    Points: 9,779, Level: 29
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 5.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U152-DF103
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1bm

    Ethnic group
    Arvern
    Country: France



    Quote Originally Posted by Groninger View Post
    I also think it is time to seriously consider what to do with NATO - the way things are going now, we are pushing the Russians right into the arms of the Chinese! In the long term, the Russians have a lot to fear from China, especially in Siberia; we have a lot more to fear from the Chinese than from the Russians; so I think it is time we try to become friends again.
    I don't think western Europeans have a priori antagonistic feelings towards (post-soviet) Russia. It may be a different story in the East European countries that were under soviet rule - understandably. Clearly, increased economic cooperation with Russia would serve the interests of both the EU and the Russians themselves (manufactured goods / raw materials). But the idea will be hard to sell to Hungarians or Poles.

    Besides, the main obstacle is Putin himself, and the way he uses his people's nationalistic paranoia to serve his very personal political and empirialistic agenda. Episodes like the invasion of Crimea and intervention in Donbass can't contribute much to diplomatic rapprochement.

    In the meantime, indeed, both the EU and the US are pushing Russia into China's open arms. The same goes for Iran.

  15. #15
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    LeBrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-09
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,331
    Points
    113,888
    Level
    100
    Points: 113,888, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

    Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world
    Country: Canada-Alberta



    Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    I’m still processing the statement of President Macron of France listing the “Enemies”, and calling for the creation of a European Army to defend against China, Russia, and the USA.
    The EU Army concept is not new, but the new “enemy” is.
    It seems You could be right, That era is coming to an end.

    Macron:
    ... “We have to protect ourselves with respect to China, Russia and even the United States of America,”

    Mr Macron told France’s Europe 1 radio in an interview ....

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8619721.html
    Thank your "brilliant" president for alienating all the friends. It is easier for China now to forge aliances and economic connections. America First (Alone)!
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

  16. #16
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    LeBrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-09
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,331
    Points
    113,888
    Level
    100
    Points: 113,888, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

    Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world
    Country: Canada-Alberta



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Some very good insights here. I'd only add that China is indeed becoming a threat to its neighbors, and if its industrial might grows, the threat will widen.

    The situation reminds me of that of Japan in the first decades of the 20th century.
    I'm more positive about China. It had wars with neighbors when it was poor. Now it trades more with everybody and even border skirmishes are unheard of. I believe that with rise of wealth china will relax communist party stronghold eventually and will become democratic. I'm surprised they are still in power there. They were unlucky, more liberal first secretary wasn't elected a leader, Gorbachev like.

  17. #17
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    LeBrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-09
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,331
    Points
    113,888
    Level
    100
    Points: 113,888, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

    Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world
    Country: Canada-Alberta



    Quote Originally Posted by hrvclv View Post
    The Chinese are now buying farmland in France. Why shouldn't they, if we are stupid enough to let them do it?

    One glimmer of hope, though : for the first time in years, Chinese growth has dropped below its traditional two-figure levels. Last I heard for 2018 was 6.5%. Far better than any country in the EU, for sure, but still, things may be changing there too.

    I don't think Macron fears any US "invasion" of France. He is worried US military strength might serve as leverage for economic blackmail (something like what is currently going on with the Iranian sanctions, and French firms being deterred from trading there). He is also concerned the EU might some day be abruptly left to fend for itself, with the US withdrawing from the NATO burden. Well, if it happens, the Europeans will have nobody to blame but themselves.
    Remember in 80s and 90s all the world was afraid of Japanese buying everything in the West? What happened since? Wait a moment, French Renault bought Japanese Nisan and Korean Motors. Japanese and Koreans should be afraid of French people!
    Now, do you know how much Saudis own in France? No? Do you know how much Germans own in France? No?

    And now we are afraid of chinese! Boohoo!

  18. #18
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    LeBrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-09
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,331
    Points
    113,888
    Level
    100
    Points: 113,888, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

    Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world
    Country: Canada-Alberta



    Quote Originally Posted by Groninger View Post
    It is laudable and courageous that Trump is implementing these tariffs to put an end to the decades-long policy of economic capitulation toward China; but it is too late to make the Chinese threat go away; - the sleeping giant has woken up!
    What economic capitulation?!!! USA made hundreds of billions if not trillions of dollars in China. It wasn't the easiest market to make money in, and still problems persist, but it benefited both sides handsomely. Apple alone just repatriated 250 billion dollars to US, money it made on the whole world, china included. Should we mention how much money car companies made in china, or fast food, wine, beer, electronics, beef, pork etc, etc? Remember, international trade benefits all parties involved.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-05-17
    Posts
    2,915
    Points
    36,869
    Level
    59
    Points: 36,869, Level: 59
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 981
    Overall activity: 99.2%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

    China, China, China!

    Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    Thank your "brilliant" president for alienating all the friends. It is easier for China now to forge aliances and economic connections. America First (Alone)!
    Economic Connections with China always end with Loss of Jobs of the other Countries.
    China want to export, but not to import anything that they already produce. They are super protective of their own Market.

    “China First” (Supported by Hypocrites)

    Worth mentioning are the domestic human rights abuse, the lack of civil liberties, corruption, and the Hypocrisy of the “Civilized Nations” doing business with this confused Communist Regime.

    ———
    imo Macron has Stockholm Syndrome (sexually abused as a minor by a 40 years old Woman and then marr....) he needs a lot of help.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tutkun Arnaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-03-18
    Posts
    314

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a2a(m223)(L801)

    Country: Albania



    0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    On a positive side about China: They eat fried animal testicles (feed the army to toughen them up) so they could be exported to China instead of thrown away.
    As for China's strength in the worlds stage, I don't see them getting in confrontation with America or Europe. If they try America and Europe will stop buying their junk and Chinese go back to the bowl of rice. Also development will be around the world. Technology made it possible so expect China economically as middle income country. China also has a number of sizable neighboring countries that if felt threaten by China could form a Nato style alliance. Vietnam,Malaysia, Philippines, Japan. Together they form another China.
    China also militarily has a space weakness. It can protect its satellites only in geostationary position, not in elliptical orbit since Europe and america posses the rest of space above their lands.
    China also is dependent in energy sources. Ones oil and gas stops flowing to China they have nothing to cook their food, so they have to start eating raw food. I can count more but I am lazy...

  21. #21
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-05-17
    Posts
    2,915
    Points
    36,869
    Level
    59
    Points: 36,869, Level: 59
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 981
    Overall activity: 99.2%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    China, China, China!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tutkun Arnaut View Post
    On a positive side about China: They eat fried animal testicles (feed the army to toughen them up) so they could be exported to China instead of thrown away.
    They also eat your Avatar!

  22. #22
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    03-01-17
    Posts
    55
    Points
    2,705
    Level
    14
    Points: 2,705, Level: 14
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Netherlands



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    What economic capitulation?!!! USA made hundreds of billions if not trillions of dollars in China. It wasn't the easiest market to make money in, and still problems persist, but it benefited both sides handsomely. Apple alone just repatriated 250 billion dollars to US, money it made on the whole world, china included. Should we mention how much money car companies made in china, or fast food, wine, beer, electronics, beef, pork etc, etc? Remember, international trade benefits all parties involved.
    International trade does not necessarily benefit all parties involved; there are often winners and losers. In this case it's clear that China won and the US lost: the US has been burdened with an enormous trade deficit, and lost millions of manufacturing jobs; China, on the other hand, has built up an industry, acquired modern technologies, and grown from a poor backward country into a world power. The decision of the ruling class of the US to use China as a cheap labor base was shortsighted, selfish and deceitful; they sacrificed the industrial foundation of the country to make some personal financial gains. You could call this an act of treason with some reason. All of this has had a destabilizing impact on the US. You can't export people's jobs without creating enormous resentment. This crowd of people who have been made useless are looking for revenge. The fashionable politicians and CEOs who are benefiting from the globalist trade system tell these people they should worry about climate change and transgender bathrooms instead. It's not going to end well, I fear...

  23. #23
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points
    edulofter's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-11-18
    Posts
    21
    Points
    1,027
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,027, Level: 8
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 6.0%


    Country: China



    Chinese companies lack the spirit of innovation and often copy the results of companies in developed countries such as the United States. In addition, there is no freedom of speech in China.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points
    edulofter's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-11-18
    Posts
    21
    Points
    1,027
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,027, Level: 8
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 6.0%


    Country: China



    There are also some excellent companies in China, like Alibaba. Alibaba does facilitate the trade of SMEs. But unfortunately, the main shareholders of Alibaba are not Chinese. You can check it out.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    LABERIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-09-15
    Posts
    2,059
    Points
    5,422
    Level
    21
    Points: 5,422, Level: 21
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 3.0%


    Ethnic group
    Albanian
    Country: Albania




    "The Chinese are coming" Check Point Documentary
    17 Dec.
    Paget to the Council.
    Now the Council's letters seem to imply (words quoted) that the King will keep no strangers save the Albanoys.
    Cales, 17 Dec. 1545. Signed.
    O me zhabat në moçale, o me zhgabat lart në male!
    -Petro Nini Luarasi-

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •