Dibran

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Albanian/Gheg/Dibran/Okshtun
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-L1029>Y133379
mtDNA haplogroup
H11a2b*
There appears to be a new update to the country matches. There’s no more dots. Looks like they did away with similarity index. Considering I’m Albanian I would say it’s less accurate to me. However countries I know I have no ancestry in have seemed to fall off.

Me:

8-BABBA6-F-9-DC7-43-DC-B3-C9-769-FBF091-C90.jpg

My father:

0-DF3946-E-40-E5-4619-B3-F1-14-E2-EB68-AB1-B.jpg

My mother:

7758-DA31-202-B-40-AC-84-EE-FA8-B1-D46-CE09.jpg

Yeah, man, I finally got Italy as a match. They finally could tell I had ancestors in that country in the last 200 years, considering that my great-great-grandparents left Palermo in 1914. My other highly likely match was the United Kingdom; my mother is 3/4 English.

No matches detected for me besides Ashkenazi, still. 23andme gives me a non-Ashkenazi percentage of 0.7% (this is East Euro, with the V4 chip I believe), but that is probably noise given I have no matches to any Slavic country or to any non-Jew (Slav or not). Perhaps the reason for this is all of that 0.7% is on my X chromosome. But as I think I've mentioned before, I am Y DNA I1, which is unusual to say the least. NO matches on FTDNA with 37 markers, so this is probably a very old conversion (maybe rape, or maybe simple promiscuity). Still, given there was an Ashkenazi population explosion, it looks like this was either from after that or just a very unlucky lineage. For what it's worth, I'm the last known carrier of this particular lineage as far as paper trails go (besides my father).

The old dot system used genetic similarity with people who identified their ancestors as being from a particular country. Most Italians in this country lived in ethnic communities and married within their people until recently; my stepfather did the 23andMe and came away as 7/8 Italian. But great-great-grandfather Troncale was a horse trader in the West; his son Joseph (whom I was named after) married a girl who was Irish-Dutch-Welsh-Native American. Correspondingly I am 7/8 Northwest European; on various GEDmatch tools I am most similar to populations in the Celtic-Germanic contact zone (northern France, Belgium, southwest Germany, Britain) so I would not match well with most Italian-Americans. But the new way takes into account the big Italian segment I have on a chromosome (I think the second) which indicates recent Italian ancestry.

There appears to be a new update to the country matches. There’s no more dots. Looks like they did away with similarity index. Considering I’m Albanian I would say it’s less accurate to me. However countries I know I have no ancestry in have seemed to fall off.

Me:

8-BABBA6-F-9-DC7-43-DC-B3-C9-769-FBF091-C90.jpg

My father:

0-DF3946-E-40-E5-4619-B3-F1-14-E2-EB68-AB1-B.jpg

My mother:

7758-DA31-202-B-40-AC-84-EE-FA8-B1-D46-CE09.jpg

how far your father knows his roots? looks like he might have some Vlah ancestry!

Like I said, no one is more Italian than I am. :) All the "minority" ancestry is so old it probably was part of the original mixes in the very ancient groups which arrived in the peninsula, or it's where they are similar to me, not me to them. My father would be so pleased. :)

• [h=5]99.8%[/h]

• [h=5]Italian[/h][h=5]69.4%[/h]

Italy
    Highly Likely Match

Malta
    Not Detected

• [h=5]French & German[/h][h=5]10.3%[/h]

Although we've detected French & German DNA in your ancestral breakdown, we have not identified more specific locations that your recent ancestors may have called home.
    Austria
    Not Detected

Belgium
    Not Detected

France
    Not Detected

Germany
    Not Detected

Luxembourg
    Not Detected

Netherlands
    Not Detected

Switzerland
    Not Detected

• [h=5]Scandinavian[/h][h=5]1.8%[/h]

Although we've detected Scandinavian DNA in your ancestral breakdown, we have not identified more specific locations that your recent ancestors may have called home.
    Denmark
    Not Detected

Iceland
    Not Detected

Norway
    Not Detected

Sweden
    Not Detected

• [h=5]Sardinian[/h][h=5]0.2%[/h]

• [h=5]British & Irish[/h][h=5]0.1%[/h]

Although we've detected British & Irish DNA in your ancestral breakdown, we have not identified more specific locations that your recent ancestors may have called home.
    Ireland
    Not Detected

United Kingdom
    Not Detected

• [h=5]Ashkenazi Jewish[/h][h=5]0.0%[/h]

• [h=5]Balkan[/h][h=5]0.0%[/h]

Albania

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Bulgaria

Croatia

Greece

Macedonia

Moldova

Montenegro

Romania

Serbia

• [h=5]Eastern European[/h][h=5]0.0%[/h]

Belarus

Czech Republic

Estonia

Hungary

Latvia

Lithuania

Poland

Russia

Slovakia

Slovenia

Ukraine

• [h=5]Finnish[/h][h=5]0.0%[/h]

Finland

• [h=5]Iberian[/h][h=5]0.0%[/h]

Portugal

Spain

no change for me............still only i talian

Population
Match Confidence
Percent

European 99.2%
Italian 35.8%
Italy Highly Likely Match
Malta Not Detected
French & German 13.4%

Although we've detected French & German DNA in your ancestral breakdown, we have not identified more specific locations that your recent ancestors may have called home.
Austria Not Detected
Belgium Not Detected
France Not Detected
Germany Not Detected
Luxembourg Not Detected
Netherlands Not Detected
Switzerland Not Detected
Balkan 3.4%

Although we've detected Balkan DNA in your ancestral breakdown, we have not identified more specific locations that your recent ancestors may have called home.
Albania Not Detected
Bosnia and Herzegovina Not Detected
Bulgaria Not Detected
Croatia Not Detected
Greece Not Detected
Macedonia Not Detected
Moldova Not Detected
Montenegro Not Detected
Romania Not Detected
Serbia Not Detected
Iberian 2.4%

Although we've detected Iberian DNA in your ancestral breakdown, we have not identified more specific locations that your recent ancestors may have called home.
Portugal Not Detected
Spain Not Detected
British & Irish 2.2%

Although we've detected British & Irish DNA in your ancestral breakdown, we have not identified more specific locations that your recent ancestors may have called home.
Ireland Not Detected
United Kingdom Not Detected
Sardinian 0.6%

how far your father knows his roots? looks like he might have some Vlah ancestry!

Vlach ancestry is never outside the realm of possibility but that’s mostly not the case. We definitely know our ancestry for st least the last 600 years. It’s just chalked up to their weird new algorithm. It went from 1 dot(none for my father) to a high match?

Definitely has not improved. LukaszM DNA reports remain the most accurate representation of ancestry for me. Many others would agree. And it’s only 7 euro.

Vlach ancestry is never outside the realm of possibility but that’s mostly not the case. We definitely know our ancestry for st least the last 600 years. It’s just chalked up to their weird new algorithm. It went from 1 dot(none for my father) to a high match?
Definitely has not improved. LukaszM DNA reports remain the most accurate representation of ancestry for me. Many others would agree. And it’s only 7 euro.
agree with you on Lukasz dna reports.
my top 4 .....found family members in all except corsica so far

[1] "distance%=7.2474"
IT_Veneto,75.8
FR_Corsica,5
Saarland,3.4
IT_Friuli,3.2

Me: Italian - Highly Likely Match (in the last 200 years, which is true); France - Likely Match (in the last 200 years, which is false); all others Not Detected (true).
Father: Italian - Highly Likely Match; all others Not Detected.
Mother: Italian - Highly Likely Match; all others Not Detected.

They should improve the algorithm when there is trio-phasing. For example, if France was not detected in my parents, then it could not be detected in me.

I don’t know :)
Awhile ago:

... Account Deletion ....., you've asked us to permanently delete your data. We received your request to permanently delete your 23andMe account and associated data...

Pfizer stuff!

This thread has been viewed 5997 times.

Back