Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: Early depiction of Jesus

  1. #1
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    19,248


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.

    Early depiction of Jesus

    This line drawing of the face of Jesus has been discovered in a church in the Negev. It dates anywhere from the 4th to the 6th century. There was no Jewish settlement there. It was Byzantine and "Arabic".
    https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/...urch-1.6640744




    There are differences from the sort of consensus depiction which came to dominate religious art and which also can be found from the 6th century,i.e. no long hair or beard. The line drawing looks to have a rather more "Semitic" nose to me.


    I always used to picture him this way.

    Of course, it's anybody's guess as to the accuracy or inaccuracy of either version, as there are no contemporaneous portraits of him and his appearance is not described in any surviving writing, canonical or not.

    This is the earliest depiction, from 2nd century Syria, but the face is indistinct, although the hair is short.


    I suppose we could say, however, that the odds are that he was NOT blonde, blue eyed, and small nosed.

    This is the depiction by Michelangelo using a young Jew from the Rome ghetto as a model. I think he looks like the "eastern" model which dominated for so long, but whether it was the most common "look" among the Jews of Rome, or Michelangelo just looked for a beautiful young Jew who resembled the iconography with which he was familiar, we can't know.


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  2. #2
    Regular Member ToBeOrNotToBe's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-12-16
    Posts
    1,110


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    This line drawing of the face of Jesus has been discovered in a church in the Negev. It dates anywhere from the 4th to the 6th century. There was no Jewish settlement there. It was Byzantine and "Arabic".
    https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/...urch-1.6640744




    There are differences from the sort of consensus depiction which came to dominate religious art and which also can be found from the 6th century,i.e. no long hair or beard. The line drawing looks to have a rather more "Semitic" nose to me.


    I always used to picture him this way.

    Of course, it's anybody's guess as to the accuracy or inaccuracy of either version, as there are no contemporaneous portraits of him and his appearance is not described in any surviving writing, canonical or not.

    This is the earliest depiction, from 2nd century Syria, but the face is indistinct, although the hair is short.


    I suppose we could say, however, that the odds are that he was NOT blonde, blue eyed, and small nosed.

    This is the depiction by Michelangelo using a young Jew from the Rome ghetto as a model. I think he looks like the "eastern" model which dominated for so long, but whether it was the most common "look" among the Jews of Rome, or Michelangelo just looked for a beautiful young Jew who resembled the iconography with which he was familiar, we can't know.
    Yup, the whole "Aryan Jesus" movement from the 19th and early 20th centuries is quite ridiculous, at least with hindsight. I honestly think, though, that Jesus would have looked more Italian than anything else, as that's roughly what I imagine the original Hebrews as looking like (more so than, say, the Lebanese). Phenotypically, this comes under the "Litorid" type.

  3. #3
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    19,248


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Fwiw, anthropologists trying to "reconstruct" ancient skulls from Israel would disagree with you.

    1.Man from the Galilee who lived during the time of Jesus

    2.Man from Israel 4,000 BC.

    3.Philistine woman

    4.Sacrificed child 4,000 BC.

    =



    First century Judean:

  4. #4
    Regular Member ToBeOrNotToBe's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-12-16
    Posts
    1,110


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Fwiw, anthropologists trying to "reconstruct" ancient skulls from Israel would disagree with you.

    1.Man from the Galilee who lived during the time of Jesus

    2.Man from Israel 4,000 BC.

    3.Philistine woman

    4.Sacrificed child 4,000 BC.

    =



    First century Judean:
    I mean, the proper anthropologists analysing these skulls in the first half of the 20th century (people like Coon) didn't come to the conclusion that Jews used to look like this:



    I genuinely think there were big political motivations for that famous reconstruction - he was almost certainly cherry-picked and exaggerated to achieve those features. The Hebrews were an East Mediterranean population, and appropriately were pred. Mediterranid with some Dinaro-Armenid influences from further North.

    That reconstruction, terrible as it is, was probably based on someone with the Assyroid phenotype (http://humanphenotypes.net/Assyroid.html). Jews would never have been even close to that dark originally for starters (Samaritans would be somewhat darker than the original Jews, and are probably on par at least with non-Northern Italians), but also as mentioned Jews were and still are mainly of the Mediterranean race, unlike these hobgoblins. The Harvey Weinstein types are and were not even close to as common as the Natalie Portmans, though of course they're a decent chunk.

  5. #5
    Regular Member ToBeOrNotToBe's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-12-16
    Posts
    1,110


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Alyan View Post
    We already have solid representatives of the Ancient Levant in modern Druze, Samaritans, and Palestinians. Not one passes as Italians.
    You can keep believing they're accurate representations :) Did that Chalcolithic Israel study hurt your feelings? People in Israel haven't looked like Palestinians since the dawn of time - phenotype can change in a region, you know. Antinous was a natural blonde Anatolian Greek, good luck finding that today. King David was described as a redhead, as were Jews for basically the longest period of time during the second exodus - this is still true to some extent, to the point where in Eastern Europe red hair was and sometimes still is seen as a sign of Jewish ancestry (not to mention medieval Spain and Italy - in fact, only in NW Europe are people more red-headed). Now, tell me, did Ashkenazim gain this red hair from admixture with Southern Europeans?

    By the way, in my posts I have gone a bit nuts about red hair before lol, but I am not a red head - it is just a very interesting (in my opinion originally Epigravettian, but that is way back) phenotypical marker of ancestry.
    Last edited by ToBeOrNotToBe; 13-11-18 at 16:50.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    17-03-13
    Posts
    774


    Country: Sweden



    The National Police in Italy have reportedly created a digital image of what they believe Jesus Christ looked like as a young child.

    https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=30823820

    Real Face of Jesus from the Shroud of Turin

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOSa_09i9oM

  7. #7
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    19,248


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    3 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToBeOrNotToBe View Post
    I mean, the proper anthropologists analysing these skulls in the first half of the 20th century (people like Coon) didn't come to the conclusion that Jews used to look like this:



    I genuinely think there were big political motivations for that famous reconstruction - he was almost certainly cherry-picked and exaggerated to achieve those features. The Hebrews were an East Mediterranean population, and appropriately were pred. Mediterranid with some Dinaro-Armenid influences from further North.

    That reconstruction, terrible as it is, was probably based on someone with the Assyroid phenotype (http://humanphenotypes.net/Assyroid.html). Jews would never have been even close to that dark originally for starters (Samaritans would be somewhat darker than the original Jews, and are probably on par at least with non-Northern Italians), but also as mentioned Jews were and still are mainly of the Mediterranean race, unlike these hobgoblins. The Harvey Weinstein types are and were not even close to as common as the Natalie Portmans, though of course they're a decent chunk.
    Not one comment you made is supported by anything vaguely factual. Just for starters you didn't provide links to the comments by Coon, or which skulls he was using, for that matter. They certainly wouldn't have been these skulls. The rest is total nonsense. How on earth would you know that Samaritans are darker? Based on what evidence? People have to stop assuming modern Ashkenazim look exactly like Judeans of the first century. Their admixture, for one thing, puts that seriously in doubt.

    As for Samaritans, I do indeed see some similarities with the that last posted reconstruction.






    @Gyms,
    Leaving aside the question of who is represented on the Shroud of Turin, I will say that the reconstruction doesn't really look like the shroud picture to me. It looks more likely to be "Semitic" than does the image on the Shroud.

    It also rather looks like the reconstruction in my first post of the man from Galilee, and also somewhat resembles this old picture of a Samaritan priest. It may have been a minority "look" among the Samaritans which has now almost disappeared.



  8. #8
    Regular Member ToBeOrNotToBe's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-12-16
    Posts
    1,110


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Not one comment you made is supported by anything vaguely factual. Just for starters you didn't provide links to the comments by Coon, or which skulls he was using, for that matter. They certainly wouldn't have been these skulls. The rest is total nonsense. How on earth would you know that Samaritans are darker? Based on what evidence? People have to stop assuming modern Ashkenazim look exactly like Judeans of the first century. Their admixture, for one thing, puts that seriously in doubt.

    As for Samaritans, I do indeed see some similarities with the that last posted reconstruction.

    [REDACTED]
    I agree Ashkenazim don't look exactly like the Hebrews, I'm not claiming that for one second. That being said, none of the admixture models can explain Ashkenazi pigmentation - none. It follows that this came with them before migration to Europe, and perhaps was enhanced by the bottleneck, for whatever reason. Though, I keep reminding myself of the Minoan models who seemed to be pale too (and that cannot all be explained by the indoor vs outdoor lifestyle).

    And those examples are somewhat dark for Samaritans (from a google search it appears you cherry-picked...), but yes, I was wrong in saying they were lighter than Italians. I guess I just personally imagine the ancient Hebrews as being a light olive hue, sort of like Assad - I find it really hard to believe that Ashkenazim became as pale as they are (only surpassed by Northern Europeans) from admixture with the actually almost always darker Southern Europeans, and it is basically impossible that they got that from non-Southern Europeans given the near total absence of WHG amongst other things.

    Also one other thing - Samaritans probably took non-Jewish wives. I think this accounts for the darker features, and why they don't all have Assad-coloured olive skin.

    AND one final thing - whatever you may say, there is a significant proportion of people with the paler, Ashkenazi-like skin amongst the Samaritans. You would almost never find someone with pale skin and red hair amongst the Palestinians, but amongst the Samaritans it is hardly uncommon. From the Jewish Encyclopedia (it doesn't show any cases of red hair because the sample size is so small, and the percentage of redheads would never ever exceed 5% - it is around 2% probably, because as a rule the percentage of red beards is usually about double that of redheads):


  9. #9
    Earl Maleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-03-14
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    1,919

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Country: Malta



    There is a believe among Jews that the father of Jesus was Pantera who (if not mistaken) was a Roman General. (I think its recorded in the Talmund) If this holds any truth then its pointless trying to figure out what Jesus looked like, and probably would have a particular different look to the rest of the people around him. Even in the case for the faithful who believe that Jesus was a result of a virgin birth....would he look exactly like his mother.....Either way it will remain an Enigma.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    4,882

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Early depiction of Jesus

    If Jesus had been the son of a Roman General, would have benefited of the courtesy of a clean and maybe private execution.
    It seems improbable that the Son of a Roman General would have been Nailed to a Cross for everybody to watch. imo
    Romans had different standards for executions.
    Even Saint Paul (a Roman Citizen) wasn’t crucified, and got a quick death instead.

    The Shroud of Turin (La Sindone) could be a Medieval forgery.
    🕷️

  11. #11
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    19,248


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToBeOrNotToBe View Post
    I agree Ashkenazim don't look exactly like the Hebrews, I'm not claiming that for one second. That being said, none of the admixture models can explain Ashkenazi pigmentation - none. It follows that this came with them before migration to Europe, and perhaps was enhanced by the bottleneck, for whatever reason. Though, I keep reminding myself of the Minoan models who seemed to be pale too (and that cannot all be explained by the indoor vs outdoor lifestyle).

    And those examples are somewhat dark for Samaritans (from a google search it appears you cherry-picked...), but yes, I was wrong in saying they were lighter than Italians. I guess I just personally imagine the ancient Hebrews as being a light olive hue, sort of like Assad - I find it really hard to believe that Ashkenazim became as pale as they are (only surpassed by Northern Europeans) from admixture with the actually almost always darker Southern Europeans, and it is basically impossible that they got that from non-Southern Europeans given the near total absence of WHG amongst other things.

    Also one other thing - Samaritans probably took non-Jewish wives. I think this accounts for the darker features, and why they don't all have Assad-coloured olive skin.

    AND one final thing - whatever you may say, there is a significant proportion of people with the paler, Ashkenazi-like skin amongst the Samaritans. You would almost never find someone with pale skin and red hair amongst the Palestinians, but amongst the Samaritans it is hardly uncommon. From the Jewish Encyclopedia (it doesn't show any cases of red hair because the sample size is so small, and the percentage of redheads would never ever exceed 5% - it is around 2% probably, because as a rule the percentage of red beards is usually about double that of redheads):

    Are you aware that you can't do a comparison of modern Samaritans versus Judeans of the first century when you don't have any data for first century Judeans?

    I cherry pick nothing. Feel free to post a link for google or bing "Samaritan men" where we can all see all the pictures of light skinned Samaritans.

    Make a baseless, scurrilous claim again that I have been dishonest in any way and there will be even more serious consequences.

    @board,
    There are a lot of scurrilous, non-contemporary claims about Jesus in the Talmud, for obvious reasons. Leaving aside all claims of the supernatural, a young Jewish woman who was "impure" with anyone would have been stoned to death.

  12. #12
    Earl Maleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-03-14
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    1,919

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Country: Malta



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    If Jesus had been the son of a Roman General, would have benefited of the courtesy of a clean and maybe private execution.
    It seems improbable that the Son of a Roman General would have been Nailed to a Cross for everybody to watch. imo
    Romans had different standards for executions.
    Even a virgin birth would have seemed odd and could be interpreted as a reason for execution. Its the very reason why Joseph took Mary under his protection. And if the narration in the Talmund was true, how would they have got to know about it? Complicated.

  13. #13
    Regular Member ToBeOrNotToBe's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-12-16
    Posts
    1,110


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Are you aware that you can't do a comparison of modern Samaritans versus Judeans of the first century when you don't have any data for first century Judeans?

    I cherry pick nothing. Feel free to post a link for google or bing "Samaritan men" where we can all see all the pictures of light skinned Samaritans.

    Make a baseless, scurrilous claim again that I have been dishonest in any way and there will be even more serious consequences.
    I am aware, but the point being most consider Samaritans as the closest modern representatives, if somewhat admixed with local women (as the mtDNA evidence seems to suggest - just as seems to be the case with all Jews). How can you explain those statistics? Do you think they somehow have more of these light features than the originals? And yes, I'm not claiming the Hebrews were Irish, but you get the point.

    Answer me this if you can, where did Ashkenazi pigmentation come from? I bet you can't give me any good answer. You always seem to pick at my points, and just completely ignore any serious questions I have. For whatever reason, it's hard to have open discussion with you, which is all I want and all that should matter on an online forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyan View Post
    The Chalcolithic Israel samples were admitted to be a genetic dead end. Even then, they don't cluster with South Europeans or even Western Jews.



    Are you denying that any Palestinians look like they belong to the Levant?



    Indigenous Anatolians cluster with West Asian populations more than European ones so he might have just not been strictly indigenous.



    Contact with Indo-Europeans maybe.
    I don't see what a genetic dead-end is meant to be, but regardless, the point is that if I made that claim BEFORE that study, you would have referred to the modern inhabitants in much the same way in refutation, maybe call me a Nordicist or something like that. Populations, and phenotypes, change. The Thracians were well-known for their red hair, yet look at modern day Bulgaria.

    And about Antinous and King David, you're completely missing the point. It is so ridiculously simple - phenotypes in a particular region are not static. Therefore, you cannot necessarily make any conclusions based on modern populations, though of course things can be ruled out (they weren't Black or Swedish).

  14. #14
    Regular Member ToBeOrNotToBe's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-12-16
    Posts
    1,110


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Alyan View Post
    Yeah, modern Lebanese are lighter skinned than Bronze Age Canaanites /Israelites.



    Samaritans, Druze, and Christian MENAs like Palestinians have traditionally not married outside their groups and so would be spared the foreign DNA that impacted their Muslim neighbors. They are all darker than Europeans. Which goes in line with the finding that the Sidon samples from Haber's (who cluster nearest with modern Samaritans) were darker than modern Lebanese.
    I personally doubt that the modern Lebanese are lighter (and I do not remember that ever being reached as a conclusion - only that they picked up a bit extra Steppe), but that is all very speculative, as I am unaware as to the physical descriptions of the Phoenicians given iirc they wrote on some unstable form of parchment that has almost all degraded. Regardless of what you say, even though it is Chalcolithic, the point still stands that aDNA has shown that in the past, Levantine people were in fact lighter.

    But we can just use some simple deductions - tell me where Ashkenazi pigmentation comes from, for example...

  15. #15
    Regular Member ToBeOrNotToBe's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-12-16
    Posts
    1,110


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Alyan View Post
    Yeah, modern Lebanese are lighter skinned than Bronze Age Canaanites /Israelites.



    Samaritans, Druze, and Christian MENAs like Palestinians have traditionally not married outside their groups and so would be spared the foreign DNA that impacted their Muslim neighbors. They are all darker than Europeans. Which goes in line with the finding that the Sidon samples from Haber's (who cluster nearest with modern Samaritans) were darker than modern Lebanese.
    Ah, how could I forget this...



    Second from right is an Asiatic (a Levantine, so candidate Hebrew). The Libyans (the four elaborately dressed men on the left, clearly of high social status, so it would be interesting to learn their story) actually look like modern Northern Atlantic folk, which is interesting to say the least. Far right is an Egyptian, and the black guy is Nubian. This is ancient Egyptian in origin, by the way, but a reconstruction - from similar actual pictures of the real murals, it appears the Asiatics (the candidates for Hebrew lookalikes) had somewhat of an olive hue to them, but a light olive, which is how the artist was able to mistake them for being that White.

    From ancient Egyptian depictions, which are the only known depictions of Levantines to my knowledge, it appears that the ancient Hebrews could be interpreted as having the sort of skin colour of Jerry Seinfeld, and presumably somewhat lighter due to tanning:





    Also, in case you go googling him, it seems some images that pop up are him with a very obvious tan, so just saying. As far as I'm aware, you can't tan in the opposite direction, though, meaning the above images can be considered representative at the darker end of the spectrum even.

  16. #16
    Regular Member ToBeOrNotToBe's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-12-16
    Posts
    1,110


    Country: United Kingdom



    I think this guy is a great specimen too - American Syrian Jewish Chief Rabbi Saul Kassin:







    I think you get the point of light olive-skin - that's how I see the ancient Hebrews...







    Godspeed, Assad.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    4,882

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    If Jesus never existed, St. Paul fooled us with the biggest prank of all time.

    If the Shroud of Turin is real,
    Jesus has Druze mtDNA!

    Last edited by Salento; 14-11-18 at 08:34. Reason: Druze mtDNA

  18. #18
    Earl Maleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-03-14
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    1,919

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Country: Malta




    If the Shroud of Turin is real,
    Jesus has Druze mtDNA!
    Leonardo from Vinci was a genius. There were already many Jews around to pose as models one way or another as history tell us, so dna from drops of blood indicating middle eastern is defiantly not impossible. Relics were BIG business in the middle ages and preyed on the gullible. .

  19. #19
    Earl Maleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-03-14
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    1,919

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Country: Malta



    @ToBeOrNotToBe This could be interesting https://www.livescience.com/40247-as...ean-genes.html

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    17-03-13
    Posts
    774


    Country: Sweden



    Now, a new study using modern forensic techniques suggests the bloodstains on the shroud are completely unrealistic, supporting arguments that it is a fake.

    https://www.livescience.com/63093-sh...oodstains.html

    “Neither of the investigators have the scientific qualifications to speak on it,” since as an anthropologist and a physician, the pair does not “have experience in human bloodstains,” explained Alfonso Sánchez Hermosilla, a doctor and forensic anthropologist of the research team of the Spanish Sindonology Center.

    https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/n...ew-study-84312

  21. #21
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    19,248


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    2 members found this post helpful.
    If I had to bet I would say that there was probably some variation in the Judeans of the first century AD, as there is in most West Eurasian groups. The likelihood that there would have been a presence of blonde, blue-eyed people is, imo, extremely low.

    The phenotype of Ashkenazim like Jerry Seinfeld is largely irrelevant, as they are anywhere from 40-60% European. I would think that 10-15% Polish and maybe an equal amount of Rhineland ancestry alone might be enough to change them up a bit. Plus, I don't think Europeans, not living amongst a lot of Jews, are aware of the fact that even among Ashkenazi Jews there's a lot of variation. Some look more like Rahm Emanuel than Jerry Seinfeld.



    The phenotype of Syrian Jews is also largely irrelevant, as they have a great deal of Sephardic, i.e. European Jewish ancestry. Plus, Rabbis largely have been sequestered indoors studying the Torah and the Mishnah since early childhood, so they may not be the best example.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Jews

    The only West Eurasian Jews who would have no European ancestry would be the Iraqi and Iranian Jews, although it could be said they've intermarried with their own set of locals.

    One of the most recent studies:
    https://journals.plos.org/plosgeneti...l.pgen.1006644

    As for Asad, even among his very reproductively isolated minority, where recessive genes can float up, he's hardly "typical".

    Also, I think the entire discussion has gotten rather sidetracked. The "reconstructions" show the men as they most probably "were" i.e. with the weathered skin of men who have lived their lives outdoors under the Middle Eastern sun. The people of the Levant are not "black" skinned. They don't even have the complexion of people from North Africa, many of whom have up to 20% SSA in them. I think olive to light brown skinned probably covers the range. The features are also rather distinctive in most cases.

    What possible reason would there be to insist that all first century Judeans looked like Asad rather than like most modern inhabitants of the Levant, other than a discomfort with picturing Jesus as "other"?

    I do understand the impulse. Most people have a tendency to make important figures, especially religious figures, resemble them. That's why the Virgin of Guadalupe is Amerindian, and the Buddha looks East Asian. Here, however, we're supposed to be looking at facts, and specifically at genetics.

    Of course, the only way to really know is to get ancient dna from first century Judeans, or people from the time of the Maccabees, for example, and look at the snps. All the speculation in the world is no substitute.

    The controversy over the Shroud of Turin will not end until modern scientists can find a way to duplicate the process.

  22. #22
    Regular Member leperrine's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-02-17
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    66

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J-L70

    Country: USA - Alabama



    Would love to see how they reconstructed this. On the left is the actual place of the "inscription" and on the right is the "proposed" reconstruction.



    Read the Journal at Cambridge and didn't see any details: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...81/core-reader


    "Shivta was a large village dated to the Byzantine period, which, at its fifth- to sixth-century AD peak included three churches (Figure 1). The site declined considerably in the Early Islamic period (seventh to late ninth centuries AD), and was then abandoned, until its nineteenth-century rediscovery. We examined the Shivta churches’ main features to reconstruct the site’s historical trajectory in the context of understanding the Byzantine collapse in the Negev Desert (Tepper et al. 2015, 2018). We documented the extant artwork depicting the transfiguration of Christ on the walls of Shivta’s southern church (Linn et al. 2017; Maayan-Fanar 2017)."


    Link to the study mentioned in the above quote: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0185149

    On a side note:

    I really enjoy the art from the Dura-Europos Synagogue in Syria.

    The Dura-Europos synagogue (or "Dura Europas", "Dura Europos" etc.) was an ancient synagogue uncovered at Dura-Europos, Syria, in 1932. The last phase of construction was dated by an Aramaic inscription to 244 CE, making it one of the oldest synagogues in the world. It was unique among the many ancient synagogues that have emerged from archaeological digs as the structure was preserved virtually intact, and it had extensive figurative wall-paintings, which came as a considerable surprise to scholars. These paintings are now displayed in the National Museum of Damascus. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dura-Europos_synagogue

    Just a few below. I encourage everyone to check them all out.






  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    17-03-13
    Posts
    774


    Country: Sweden



    The new astonishing phenomenon detected on the Shroud

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6iQGomNqTw


    BTW. We know that Leonardo da Vinci was a genius.

  24. #24
    Regular Member ToBeOrNotToBe's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-12-16
    Posts
    1,110


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    If I had to bet I would say that there was probably some variation in the Judeans of the first century AD, as there is in most West Eurasian groups. The likelihood that there would have been a presence of blonde, blue-eyed people is, imo, extremely low.

    The phenotype of Ashkenazim like Jerry Seinfeld is largely irrelevant, as they are anywhere from 40-60% European. I would think that 10-15% Polish and maybe an equal amount of Rhineland ancestry alone might be enough to change them up a bit. Plus, I don't think Europeans, not living amongst a lot of Jews, are aware of the fact that even among Ashkenazi Jews there's a lot of variation. Some look more like Rahm Emanuel than Jerry Seinfeld.



    The phenotype of Syrian Jews is also largely irrelevant, as they have a great deal of Sephardic, i.e. European Jewish ancestry. Plus, Rabbis largely have been sequestered indoors studying the Torah and the Mishnah since early childhood, so they may not be the best example.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Jews

    The only West Eurasian Jews who would have no European ancestry would be the Iraqi and Iranian Jews, although it could be said they've intermarried with their own set of locals.

    One of the most recent studies:
    https://journals.plos.org/plosgeneti...l.pgen.1006644

    As for Asad, even among his very reproductively isolated minority, where recessive genes can float up, he's hardly "typical".

    Also, I think the entire discussion has gotten rather sidetracked. The "reconstructions" show the men as they most probably "were" i.e. with the weathered skin of men who have lived their lives outdoors under the Middle Eastern sun. The people of the Levant are not "black" skinned. They don't even have the complexion of people from North Africa, many of whom have up to 20% SSA in them. I think olive to light brown skinned probably covers the range. The features are also rather distinctive in most cases.

    What possible reason would there be to insist that all first century Judeans looked like Asad rather than like most modern inhabitants of the Levant, other than a discomfort with picturing Jesus as "other"?

    I do understand the impulse. Most people have a tendency to make important figures, especially religious figures, resemble them. That's why the Virgin of Guadalupe is Amerindian, and the Buddha looks East Asian. Here, however, we're supposed to be looking at facts, and specifically at genetics.

    Of course, the only way to really know is to get ancient dna from first century Judeans, or people from the time of the Maccabees, for example, and look at the snps. All the speculation in the world is no substitute.

    The controversy over the Shroud of Turin will not end until modern scientists can find a way to duplicate the process.
    Well firstly, Seinfeld is half-Ashkenazi and half-Syrian Jewish, but forgetting individual examples for now - that STILL doesn't explain the red hair (and I never claimed blonde hair would be common - anthropologists consider light brown hair blonde). Jews have comparable levels of red hair to all Europeans except NW Europeans, so unless you think Ashkenazim are heavily NW European, there is no way admixture with Europeans is responsible for the red hair. The 40-60% European estimate isn't based on "White" Europeans, it's as you know based on Southern Europeans - who Ashkenazim are lighter than.

    And about Syrian Jews - yeah, fair enough, there is some Sephardic ancestry, but WHY does it matter when this Iberian ancestry picked up would be by far not the largest component, but also given the fact that Spaniards are not THAT lighter, and certainly not as redheaded (and even then, I'd only put Northern Spaniards as being lighter on average). Again, in medieval Spain (and Italy too for that matter), red hair was associated with Jews and Jewish ancestry. In Spain, it wasn't uncommon that you could be accused of being Jewish simply because you had red hair - during the Spanish Inquisition, ALL with red hair were seen as Jews. Polish Jews, especially those from Galicia (the "purest" Ashkenazis in all likelihood - I am 1/4 Galitzianer, and by coincidence that grandparent had bright ginger hair), had a frequency of over 5% for red hair. Now, look at this map:



    That puts Jews in the second highest frequency bracket (besides the >10% bracket), clearly then Jewish red hair is not from a European source, unless we're half-Welsh.

    And this isn't based on some primitive tribalistic impulse - I don't feel much of a connection to the Hebrews (I identify as Ashkenazi). I just genuinely find it very hard to believe that the Hebrews would have been that dark, if Ashkenazim are as light as they are (not Irish, but still pretty light). One perhaps noteworthy thing to mention is that Ashkenazim are more red-haired than are light, if that makes any sense - for example, Germans are paler than Ashkenazim on the whole, but apart from Northwestern pockets are all less red-haired.

    I consider that Egyptian mural the best evidence right now as to the actual rough skin colour of the Hebrews, which is basically a light olive (like that Syrian Chief Rabbi).

  25. #25
    Earl Maleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-03-14
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    1,919

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Country: Malta



    Quote Originally Posted by gyms View Post
    The new astonishing phenomenon detected on the Shroud

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6iQGomNqTw


    BTW. We know that Leonardo da Vinci was a genius.
    Radio carbon dating is more reliable in my opinion ;)

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioc...hroud_of_Turin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •