Do you think that Romanians are genetically a gypsy Slavic mixture?

Balkan1992

Reaction score
Do you think that Romanians are genetically a gypsy Slavic mixture?Or does the idea seem exaggerated?I'm waiting for your opinions.

Do you think that Romanians are genetically a gypsy Slavic mixture?Or does the idea seem exaggerated?I'm waiting for your opinions.

Do not exaggerate! Romanians are native Balkan people! They have absorbed a lot a Slavs. Their current language contains 20% Slavic vocabulary.Gypsies officially are about 700000 but could be as much as 2.5 million. So if the last figure is true they are less than 10% of the total. So lets come to your question: Romanians are no where near of being Gypsies and Slavs. They are old dacian people with Slavs,. I know few of them personally! Now, your question looks provocative! If your intention is to provoke a whole country please refrain. Lets be objective and help each other get real knowledge about other cultures and people

Having surveyed the stages through which Romanian historical ideology has passed, I now propose to analyze one by one its fundamental components, the great mythological configurations around which the national consciousness has crystallized and evolved.

https://books.openedition.org/ceup/934

Given what people in Europe and specifically in the Balkans think of gypsies, I'm seriously considering deleting this whole thread as racist t-rolling of Romanians.

The very premise is, of course, absurd.

Watch your step gentlemen.

I have to confess first of all that I live in Romania and I have been able to notice the Slav element but also some oriental mixes not necessarily gypsy but the only ethnicity of Asian / Oriental origin widespread in the Romanian spat were the Gypsies, for hundreds of years living together with the Romanians. I just wanted to see opinions, under no circumstances I am racist about the people of my country.

Romanians are genetically too distantly related to South Asians and too close to other Balkanic populations with a prevalence of native Balkanic ancestry but also significant Slavic (and probably some Steppe Turkic) ancestry, like Bulgaria and Serbia, to be anything close to a mix of Slavic (original Slavs from Northeast Europe, I presume that's what you meant) and South Asian-derived gypsies. I think your personal impression has very little evidence to back it up. In my opinion, Romanians are mainly a mix of Romanized Dacians and Thracians/Moesians (I find the idea that Romanian itself was born more in present-day Serbia/Macedonia than in Romania itself and was pushed eastward by the Migration Era turbulence really convincing) with Slavic (mainly), Germanic, Turkic and larter Gypsy/Romani people who migrated there in Late Antiquity/Middle Ages. A two-way mixture like your proposal sounds very implausible to me.

As for some apparent "oriental mixes", I'm totally sure that Romania has had many centuries of contacts with Turkic populations that lived in Ukraine/Southern Russia, migrated to the Balkans (Bulgaria derives from the Turkic Bulgars, right? And then there were the Avars, Cumans and others) and a bit later Anatolia. The Magyars that conquered Hungary and Transylvania also probably had Eastern Asian ancestry. These Turkic and Magyar peoples were certainly and mostly West Eurasian, but admixed with East/Northeast Asian admixture. Even before the Turks Romania was also exposed to Scytho-Sarmatian people, who also had varying but in some cases relevant amounts of Eastern Asian ancestry. Gypsies instead I believe are much more a mix of West Eurasian with South Asian ancestries, not very "oriental" in the usual sense of the word.

Lol mate, if most Romania population would have been part gypsie, you would have seen hundreds of billions of Euros investments from India (currently 3rd country, after US and China, as how rich it is).
No, we are a Dacian-Gothic mix, with some Celts blood. (Celts blood seems to be between 7.5% to 20% on autosomal genetics).
And with minor genetics from Romans and Slavs. (less than 5% on autosomal genetics).
Dacians were local Balkanic people, Goths were East Germanics speakers , which came from the current land of Poland and current land of Germany.
It is told Transylvania got more Celtic genetics, but no one ever bothered to do genetic testing.
Romania I2-din are not the clades that you find at South Slavs, are other clades.
So, no we do not even have paternal lines from the Slavs.
We have around 18%-25% R1B clades.
So we actually have Celtic clades.
The 18% R1A seems to be mostly of Gothic origins.
Not of Slavic origins. Aromanians which did not mixed to Gothic people,neither to Slavic people. do not have R1A, but have I2-din, lots of it and over 20% R1B.
So, no, most if not all Romania I2-din is not of Slavic origins.
Sure, we should have also 2-3% paternal lines of Slavic origins, but most Slavic blood came from Slavic wives that Dacians took.

Delete the tread and ban the author.

Excuse me? If you wish to do that, feel free. I have no objection.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 8506 times.

Back