New fresco of "Leda and the Swan" found at Pompeii

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
One forgets that archaeology continues there...

See:
https://www.archaeology.org/news/7152-181119-pompeii-leda-swan
Archaeology today truncated the photo. A full view is indeed rather disturbing. It isn't a painting I would have wanted in my own bedroom, but in some ways they were indeed different from us.
"
Pompeii-Leda-Swan-Fresco.jpg
[COLOR=#000000 !important](Pompeii Archaeological Park/Photo by Cesare Abbate)

[/COLOR]
ROME, ITALY—The Associated Press reports that a fresco illustrating the Greek myth of Leda and the Swan has been uncovered in Pompeii. The artwork is thought to have decorated a bedroom in a wealthy person's home located on the Via del Vesuvio, near the center of the ancient Roman city, which was destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in the first century A.D. Massimo Osanna, director of Pompeii Archaeological Park, said the Spartan queen in the painting appears to be looking out into the room while she Zeus, disguised as a swan, sits on her lap. Because the fresco is situated in an area of Pompeii that is not open to the public, it may be removed from the site so that it can be protected and put on display.

Have you ever seen a portrait of an ancient Roman with blue eyes? Were blue eyes extremely rare or am I missing something here?

0bu9hwP.jpg
W7mpN2O.jpg
sKYOeGN.jpg
YgSmJs6.jpg
bOH4i4B.jpg

GEUDa41.jpg
CAcOXrJ.jpg
mIk8lk0.jpg
hMqAcPT.jpg

Incredibile, bellissimo...thanks a lot for the post Angela

Have you ever seen a portrait of an ancient Roman with blue eyes? Were blue eyes extremely rare or am I missing something here?

0bu9hwP.jpg
W7mpN2O.jpg
sKYOeGN.jpg
YgSmJs6.jpg
bOH4i4B.jpg

GEUDa41.jpg
CAcOXrJ.jpg
mIk8lk0.jpg
hMqAcPT.jpg

Many of the frescoes we have are from Pompeii, which would have had slightly different genetics from Rome and certainly from further north.

Even in Rome, however, I would think they were a minority component. The very fact that the ancient writers mention the coloring of Augustus and Sulla, for example, leads me to believe that it wasn't the norm.

Also, what they meant by blonde and what I mean by blonde are quite different. One of the statues of Augustus has been digitally colorized based on pigments found on the statue. To me, he wasn't "blonde", but to contemporaries, and even in modern Italian parlance he is. I don't know of a close-up which shows the eyes, although he supposedly had grey/blue eyes if memory serves.

Antiche-statue-greche-colorate08.jpg

In this Etruscan mural, likewise, the woman has lighter hair, but I can't see the color of the eyes.

Etruscan_mural_banquet7.gif

This is the frequency of the blue eye allele in 1000 genomes populations. The frequency would be higher in Northern Italy, i.e. the Veneto, Lombardia, Piemonte, than it is in Toscana.

The "European" average doesn't include the figures for Eastern Europe.

This is the frequency of the blue eye allele in 1000 genomes populations. The frequency would be higher in Northern Italy, i.e. the Veneto, Lombardia, Piemonte, than it is in Toscana.

The "European" average doesn't include the figures for Eastern Europe.

pq43Wd6.png
[/IMG]

This thread has been viewed 4673 times.

Back