Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who were Cimmerians?

Banned Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 99.0%

Who were Cimmerians?

I'm a historian from Iran and my book titled "Himmerland, the Cradle of Persian Civilization" has been published here in Persian, I think everyone knows that Cimmerians were an Iranian people who lived in the north and east of Europe and migrated to Iran in the 8th century BC, do you know another thing about them that I don't know?!

Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    proly R1B

Ethnic group
    Romanian

That is a very good question.
    There were either a Germanic speakers tribe, but I have no idea what branch of Germanic they were speaking, if it was West or East,less likely Norse.
    They could have been also part of the large Gauls/Keltoi ethnicity which had different languages.
    I do not know how early Gauls/Keltoi had their languages.
    Cimmerians could have also been Thracian speakers.
    Or they could have been Iranian speakers.

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,460
    Overall activity: 45.0%

I'm sure you know more than me.

Banned Achievements:

Level

Quote Originally Posted by mihaitzateo View Post
    That is a very good question.
    There were either a Germanic speakers tribe, but I have no idea what branch of Germanic they were speaking, if it was West or East,less likely Norse.
    They could have been also part of the large Gauls/Keltoi ethnicity which had different languages.
    I do not know how early Gauls/Keltoi had their languages.
    Cimmerians could have also been Thracian speakers.
    Or they could have been Iranian speakers.
    What a multicultural nation they were! It can be true that they lived in different Germanic, Celtic and Thracian lands but they were an Iranian-speaking people, of course Persian (Cimmerian) is actually a Thraco-Iranian language, mostly because different sound changes in this language, for example we see *ḱ>s in Indo-Iranian but *k>θ in Thraco-Iranian or *ǵ>z in Indo-Iranian but *ǵ>ð in Thraco-Iranian, ... compare Old Persian daθa "ten" but Indo-Iranian dasa, Greek déka, ...

I think you are a Romanian, ancient Persians considered the northern part of Romania as one of their original lands, it is interesting to read it: http://www.livius.org/articles/perso...a-inscription/

One of the most remarkable inscriptions from Antiquity is the following fragmentary text, written in Persian cuneiform script, found in 1937 on a clay tablet in Gherla, and published in 1954:

[...] king [Darius] son of Hystaspes [...]
    [...] did [...]

This is of course not a text full of very important information, but the fact that it exists is remarkable, because Gherla is in the northwestern part of modern Romania.

Although this is the only Achaemenid royal inscription that was ever found in Europe, it is not without parallel. The Greek researcher Herodotus of Halicarnassus tells us that Darius, after conquering eastern Thrace (in c.514), visited the source of a river and left the following inscription:

"The head-springs of the Tearus give the best and fairest water of all rivers; and to them came (leading an army against the Scythians) the best and fairest of all men, Darius, son of Hystaspes, of the Persians and of all the continent king."

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Ethnic group
    Italian

I would suggest reading academic papers instead of talking through your hats.

See: https://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...ght=Cimmerians

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

VeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    I'm a historian from Iran and my book titled "Himmerland, the Cradle of Persian Civilization" has been published here in Persian, I think everyone knows that Cimmerians were an Iranian people who lived in the north and east of Europe and migrated to Iran in the 8th century BC, do you know another thing about them that I don't know?!
    Are the circassians ( the indigenous people of the cimmerian lands) the forefathers of the cimmerians ?........................90% blue eyed people
    có che un pòpoło no 'l defende pi ła só łéngua el xe prónto par èser s'ciavo

when a people no longer dares to defend its language it is ripe for slavery.

Banned Achievements:

Level

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sile View Post
    Are the circassians ( the indigenous people of the cimmerian lands) the forefathers of the cimmerians ?........................90% blue eyed people
    I don't know about circassians but ancient Persians had mostly blonde hairs and blue eyes, reliefs of ancient Elamite and Persian immortal warriors of the Achaemenid empire from the palace of Darius the Great in Susa:

1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-Z2103
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U7a4

Ethnic group
    Iranian

I don't know about circassians but ancient Persians had mostly blonde hairs and blue eyes, reliefs of ancient Elamite and Persian immortal warriors of the Achaemenid empire from the palace of Darius the Great in Susa:
    Are you sure ? Do you have any sources ? Cause most are depicted brown eyed and dark haired also the skin color is darker when compared to modern Iranians. When the Persians arrived in Persis/Pars Province they probably had been overwhelmingly dark haired and brown eyed. Even in the Andronovo Culture, most likely the cultural sphere of the so called "Aryans", you have just 50-60% blonde/red haired and blue/green eyed individuals.

VeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian

Persians..where once called Parsi , they lived in modern Tajikstan circa 1000BC.......they then migrated to Iran ( Persia )
    So they are originally , South-Central Asians

Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 151

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5a

Ethnic group
    Swiss

Quote Originally Posted by Anfänger View Post
    Are you sure ? Do you have any sources ? Cause most are depicted brown eyed and dark haired also the skin color is darker when compared to modern Iranians. When the Persians arrived in Persis/Pars Province they probably had been overwhelmingly dark haired and brown eyed. Even in the Andronovo Culture, most likely the cultural sphere of the so called "Aryans", you have just 50-60% blonde/red haired and blue/green eyed individuals.
    50/60% of Blonde Hairs is almost the same as today most european countries you know, Danemark have 68% of Blonde Hairs, while Finland have 80. So if Andronovo had 60% of blond hairs, it's actually a lot.

1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 343
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-PH908*, DYS561=15
    MtDNA haplogroup
    T2a1b1a

Ethnic group
    Romanian

Well, I didn't read enough about Cimmerians personally, but recently researchers discovered the remains of several Cimmerians in Moldova.
    From a genetic point of view, they looked quite Asiatic for modern Iranians. They resemble speakers of Eastern Iranic languages more.

Tagger Second ClassThree Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283-Cluster A

Quote Originally Posted by JajarBingan View Post
    Well, I didn't read enough about Cimmerians personally, but recently researchers discovered the remains of several Cimmerians in Moldova.
    From a genetic point of view, they looked quite Asiatic for modern Iranians. They resemble speakers of Eastern Iranic languages more.
    Do we poses any tested DNA / testable DNA?
    “Man cannot live without a permanent trust in something indestructible in himself, and at the same time that indestructible something as well as his trust in it may remain permanently concealed from him.”

Franz Kafka

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283-Cluster A

Can not say anything about Cimerians... But that is absolutely beautiful art. How old is it?

1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-Z2103
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U7a4

Ethnic group
    Iranian

Quote Originally Posted by halfalp View Post
    50/60% of Blonde Hairs is almost the same as today most european countries you know, Danemark have 68% of Blonde Hairs, while Finland have 80. So if Andronovo had 60% of blond hairs, it's actually a lot.
    Yes, i also thought that the proportion of blondes resembles kinda the average of modern germans or dutch people.
    My point was that the Andronovo culture is not equal to Persians of the Achaemenid Empire. Before the Persians arrived in Persis/Pars they met and mixed with mostly dark haired and dark eyed people. First they heavily mixed with the people of the Bactria Margiana Archaeological complex for about thousand years and then they migrated to modern northern Iran there they also lived for about 200 hundred years where they would also get mixed with caucasian like people and then they moved to the South where they met the Elamites with whom they for sure heavly mixed and then gave rise to the first Persian Empire at about 500 BC.
    I am not saying that there were not fair people when the First Persian Empire was established but they were definitely not the majority. The Greeks would have noticed if the Persians were unusually fair compared to their neighbours and written it down like they did for the Scythians, Tharicians and others.

1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-Z17107>A24048
    MtDNA haplogroup
    I1a1a

Ethnic group
    Cuman, Pecheneg

3 members found this post helpful.
    The two tested samples from Chernogorovka were basal R-Z93* as well as importantly Q-Y558. Might be related to Azeri Q-F1827. The culture is authentic Cimmerian, as before there was an N-Y6503* in a Cimmerian related culture from Hungary combined with autosomal data it is clear Cimmerians did exist (as opposed to some attempts to portray them as "mythical") as an interesting population with significant Inner Asian admixture. Cimmerians then became entangled with several Thracian groups and thats why one can see today some of that genetics in the East, and why their archaeological horizon was so often labeled "Thraco-Cimmerian".. What hasn't been done yet is testing of some related Thraco-Cimmerian cultures, which is interesting for me because that's what I descend from, my ancestors claimed to descend from a clan which descended of a tribe in turn descended of one of these groups.

About Persians, they descend from a nomadic population that settled. It's obvious what Proto-Persians should have had: under R-Z2122 there is clear evidence that CTS6 was established in Iran almost 3000 ybp.. These were settled former nomads who founded a civilization. They ofc must have carried other lineages as well, but for now CTS6 seems "certain".

Moderator Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 821
    Overall activity: 17.0%

Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian

Yes, i also thought that the proportion of blondes resembles kinda the average of modern germans or dutch people.
    My point was that the Andronovo culture is not equal to Persians of the Achaemenid Empire. Before the Persians arrived in Persis/Pars they met and mixed with mostly dark haired and dark eyed people. First they heavily mixed with the people of the Bactria Margiana Archaeological complex for about thousand years and then they migrated to modern northern Iran there they also lived for about 200 hundred years where they would also get mixed with caucasian like people and then they moved to the South where they met the Elamites with whom they for sure heavly mixed and then gave rise to the first Persian Empire at about 500 BC.
    I am not saying that there were not fair people when the First Persian Empire was established but they were definitely not the majority. The Greeks would have noticed if the Persians were unusually fair compared to their neighbours and written it down like they did for the Scythians, Tharicians and others.
    That's exactly what I think. Persians in the Achaemenid Empire were definitely not the same as their (partial) ancestors of the Andronovo horizon, their movements certainly changed not only their culture, but also their genetic makeup, especially because they came to inhabit very populous and - most importantly - very civilized places compared to theirs.

As far as I know, the ancient sources do not mention Iranians as being very distinctive from their Greeks or Semitic neighbors to warrant authors' writing about their exotic looks. The ancient Persian art also does not depict a particularly "fair" population.

As for Cimmerians, as other members above have already said, they looked a bit like the eastern Scythians in that they were mainly West Eurasian, with lots of R1a-Z93, but with quite significant East Eurasian input autosomally and even in Y-DNA lineages. I think that, if they were not themselves Iranic (some authors speculated they were like a missing link between Daco-Thracian and Indo-Iranian speakers), they must've mixed extensively with the eastern, prumably Iranic or even (earlier) Indo-Aryan, populations along the centuries to get all that eastern influence.

1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 343

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-PH908*, DYS561=15
    MtDNA haplogroup
    T2a1b1a

Ethnic group
    Romanian

Quote Originally Posted by Archetype0ne View Post
    Do we poses any tested DNA / testable DNA?
    Yep

Population Region Anatolia_N CHG WHG EHG Levant_N Iran_N East Asian SSA AASI SUM
    Cimmerian_Moldova_357 Europe_Northeast 29.6% 8.0% 0.0% 46.8% 0.0% 8.4% 7.2% 0.0% 0.0% 100.0%
    Cimmerian_Moldova_358 Europe_Northeast 25.6% 11.4% 0.0% 28.4% 1.0% 21.8% 11.8% 0.0% 0.0% 100.0%
    Cimmerian_Moldova_359 Europe_Northeast 10.4% 13.8% 0.0% 42.0% 0.0% 0.0% 33.8% 0.0% 0.0% 100.0%

Banned Achievements:

Level

There are actually many evidences, for example we read in the famous Cyrus Cylinder which is considered as the world's first charter of human rights: "he looked out in justice and righteousness for the black-headed people whom he had put under his care.", "Cyrus assiduously looked after the justice and well-being of the Black-Headed People over whom he had been made victorious." ... https://www.britishmuseum.org/resear...27188&partId=1

Of course the aboriginal people of Iran who had mostly black hair have been always in majority, but you can still find many people in Iran who seem to be descendants of ancient Cimmerians (Persians) immigrants.

Banned Achievements:

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sile View Post
    Persians..where once called Parsi , they lived in modern Tajikstan circa 1000BC.......they then migrated to Iran ( Persia )
    So they are originally , South-Central Asians
    Persianization of Tajiks dates back to the Middle ages, there is absolutely no evidence which shows Persian, Kurdish, Median and other western Iranian languages were spoken in the east of Iran in the ancient times, we read nothing about these people in Avesta and other eastern Iranian sources.

Banned Achievements:

Level

Quote Originally Posted by JajarBingan View Post
    Of course eastern Iranian people such as Scythians, Sarmatians, Alans and etc also lived in Moldova, in fact it was one of the major lands of Scythians, Persianization of them seem to be possible too.

Banned Achievements:

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Archetype0ne View Post
    Can not say anything about Cimerians... But that is absolutely beautiful art. How old is it?
    It dates back to 6th century BC, more than 2,500 years ago.

Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 151

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5a

Ethnic group
    Swiss

I think more realistically than mixing, the Indo-Iranians elite would never impact that much the physionomy of early Iranians and Indians. Fair features are mainly found in very mountaneous area ( Kurdistan, Pamir, Karakoram, Hindu Kush ). Were the low demography density would help to maintain those fair features. I think both ancient and modern Iranians ( by the time where they were already Indo-Europeanized ), the ratio of blond hairs might have been something like 1/30, still noticeable in big cities, but not in the overall population. This ratio might even be bigger in India with a 1/60 ( i just randomly made those numbers dont take them as facts ).

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283-Cluster A

Heads up: I went completely off topic into color theory in this post, simply based on the color of the art which I found beautiful... so bare with me. Sorry to the Cimmerians and to the uninterested readers.

https://owlcation.com/humanities/The-Colour-Blue-in-Antiquity

http://www.visual-arts-cork.com/arti...ur-palette.htm

"Blue was a latecomer among colours used in art and decoration, as well as language and literature.[25] Reds, blacks, browns, and ochres are found in cave paintings from the Upper Paleolithic period, but not blue. Blue was also not used for dyeing fabric until long after red, ochre, pink and purple. This is probably due to the perennial difficulty of making good blue dyes and pigments.[26] The earliest known blue dyes were made from plants – woad in Europe, indigo in Asia and Africa, while blue pigments were made from minerals, usually either lapis lazulior azurite." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue#In_the_ancient_world)

That blue pigment... was one of the most expensive / rare up until 15-16th century (IIRC), and had to be mined.

Whoever the people that made that art.

a) They had mining technology, ie meaning that they probably had some connection to the caucasus/caspian bronze age. Far fetch but speculate with me for a second.

b) They were traveling extensively, and most likely trading with other people, since that particular blue pigment was rarer than gold at the time, and highly sought after.

Other cool "advanced looking" art:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebra_sky_disk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1...k_anagoria.jpg

1600 BC / Nebra / Germany

Description English: The Nebra Sky disk; Mittelberg near Nebra (Germany), ca. 1600 BC.; Special exhibition "Beyond the Horizon - Space and Knowledge in the Old World cultures" at the Pergamon Museum (22.06 -. 30.09.2012)

"The style in which the disk is executed was unlike any artistic style then known from the period, with the result that the object was initially suspected of being a forgery, but it is now widely accepted as authentic.The Nebra sky disk features the oldest concrete depiction of the cosmos yet known from anywhere in the world. In June 2013 it was included in the UNESCO Memory of the World Register and termed "one of the most important archaeological finds of the twentieth century."[1]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebra_sky_disk

PS Random Thought: Investigate if Ancient Languages even had a word for blue... or why today some languages do not even make the distinction blue / green linguistically.
    (
    http://thechromologist.com/no-word-blue-mystery-historys-missing-colour/)
    ^ Very nice read.

"The origins of this theory come from the work of William Gladstone, who before he became Prime Minister of Britain was a scholar reading Homer’s The Odyssey. A simple exercise in counting the references to colours in the work threw up some surprises. Black appeared around 200 times, white 100, but elsewhere colours were either barely mentioned or seemed slightly odd. Sheep were violet, honey was green. And most mysteriously of all, the sea is described as “wine-dark.” Evocative, certainly, but why not blue?"

"Further study of numerous ancient Greek texts revealed no reference to the colour blue at all. Following on from this discovery Lazarus Geiger decided to expand colour research across a number of ancient languages, studying Icelandic sagas, the Koran, ancient Chinese stories, and an ancient Hebrew version of the Bible. Not only did he find no reference to blue in these texts either, but he noticed wider patterns around how colour language has developed, common to all languages."

"He found that across all languages the first colour words to emerge were for black and white, closely followed by red (the colour of blood, he theorised). Red is followed by yellow and green, with blue and green remaining indistinguishable in language until a much later point. The first ancient culture to develop a word for blue on its own was in Egypt – surely no coincidence that this was also first place that produced a blue dye."

"In some modern languages the blind-spot over blue remains, with blue and green being confusingly interchangeable in Japan, where traffic lights turn ‘blue’. However a fascinating experiment with the Himba tribe in Namibia suggests that having no word for a colour may indeed limit our ability to see it. The Himba have no word for blue, and no distinction between green and blue. Researcher Jules Davidoff devised a test where members of the tribe were asked to pick the odd one out of a circle of coloured squares. In one set of green boxes a single blue one was very hard for them to identify. However a set of green squares with one subtly different green square was easily spotted. The Himba have many words for green…"

(
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue%E2%80%93green_distinction_in_language)

Useless Trivia:
    (AL)(verdhë) is (EN)(yellow) and (AL)(gjelbert) is (EN)(green). In Italian however... (IT)(verde) is (EN)(green) while (IT)(giallo) is (EN)(yellow) / Just some trivia I always found peculiar.

250 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 84.0%

I can inform you a bit about the cimbri (latin name.) They come from "Himmerland", Moraene hills in the middle of Jutland, Denmark. The Cimbri certianly migrated, south through Europe. Reached France and Spain, fought the Romans and were annihilated in about 200 bc. I have never head of them going to Persia, The goths however were at the Black Sea.

Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
    I can inform you a bit about the cimbri (latin name.) They come from "Himmerland", Moraene hills in the middle of Jutland, Denmark. The Cimbri certianly migrated, south through Europe. Reached France and Spain, fought the Romans and were annihilated in about 200 bc. I have never head of them going to Persia, The goths however were at the Black Sea.
    The Cimmerians made it as far as eastern Turkey and Armenia, where they established some cities (possibly Gyumri, Armenia, possibly Til-Garimmu and Gamirk, both of which were somewhere in Turkey) and battled the Assyrians in northern Mesopotamia. They helped to overthrow Urartu. They may have been the Gomer of the Bible. However, I'm not sure that they made it to Iran.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast