Folklore Balkan folk rhythms

I did not understand too much about, trying to translate with Google, but I feel a lot of pain in this song.
:heart: I want to say that Romania did not die, but it reborn.

that Romania is the East Roman empire.

Ρωμανια Romania for Greeks is the Byzantium
Ρουμανια Roumania is the modern Romanian state

the song is in Pontic Greek dialect (Trebizond empire)
and is about the fall of Cons/polis (Istanbul for Turks) at 1453 AD

Last edited:
that Romania is the East Roman empire.

Ρωμανια Romania for Greeks is the Byzantium
Ρουμανια Roumania is the modern Romanian state

the song is in Pontic Greek dialect (Trebizond empire)
and is about the fall of Cons/polis (Istanbul for Turks) at 1453 AD
I know what is about.
This is Jean Moscopol with Greek roots singing about the country in which he was born. România. ...Or Roumania if you want. :rolleyes:
:heart:

Maria Tănase (1913 – 1963) - traditional and popular music singer

Is this from Macedonia or Grecia?

I understand almost all the words. Anyway over 80% for sure!:heart: To me it sounds just like a little... changed Romanian.
I am curious, how many percent of the words of this song are understood by the speakers of other Balkan languages?
:love:

That's a Vlach song. There's a Greek translation of the words on the screen. The tune itself and the dance is very similar to tunes and dances from Western Macedonia (the Greek province) or from Epirus.

I did not understand too much about, trying to translate with Google, but I feel a lot of pain in this song.
:heart: I want to say that Romania did not die, but it reborn.
It is a folk song of the Pontic Greeks from Trabzon. It is a song about the fall of the Byzantine Empire by the Ottoman Turks. Romania in this context is not necessarily just the area of Romania but the whole of Eastern Orthodoxy/Byzantium.

Colinde de Crăciun (Romanian Christmas carols)

Last edited:
"Ciobănelul"
Romanian traditional shepherd folk song from Moldova

Janines çi pane syte

Capra means Goat, is the name of a traditional Romanian dance, performed around New Year.
It's executed by a young man with a goat mask and a sheep skin on his back. The 'goat' and his companions go from house to house, dancing at each door on New Year's Eve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxCT5oOBfSc

Last edited:
Janines çi pane syte

Beautiful. Its a shame these aren't subtitled in english for all to understand the lyrics. The title means "What Janina's Eyes Have Seen"

I love the moment at 2:56 where the men in the background draw their swords. The execution is very natural and conveys an authenticity such that
I feel transported into the antiquity of Epirus for a moment.

Do not waste your time. I met Marin Chisar in the 1980s. One of our original great instrumentalists (whistle, pipe, bagpipe, pan flute and vocal) of authentic folk music. Gheorghe Zamfir was his disciple. Here is at the age of 80 singing in Chisinau. God rest him in peace!

Stiffer than a President, the old man...

I've been to Constanta in the summer with my best friend, he comes from Arges and Olt,we went without too many preparations,like in old times,in the midnight, together with the host they went to sleep,because there was nothing to drink left.
I searched in the main street some non-stop shops,but they were all close;so I have entered in a fine pub,with the cigar already light,the bodyguard was Moldavian,he started yelling,"go oustde,turn it off!";I responded,staring at him,"can't do that,it was lighted already.

After,he got really mad,kept threatening and I was calmly looking at the bartender,while he was on my sight too.

I went outside with the beer and the cigar,the bodyguard came after me,softer,"You shouldn't have done this",he started to chat,was from Botosani,this Romanian saying is law,"The Dog that barks,doesn't bit you".

Beautiful. Its a shame these aren't subtitled in english for all to understand the lyrics. The title means "What Janina's Eyes Have Seen"

I love the moment at 2:56 where the men in the background draw their swords. The execution is very natural and conveys an authenticity such that
I feel transported into the antiquity of Epirus for a moment.

This song is considered as the symbol of the Albanian folk. There are many imprecations made also by foreigners, French, etc. The song speaks of three people from the Laberia region, Zenel Celua with the Velciot (a man from the village of Velca), together with the valiant Jace Mavrova went to Janina, in a place called the five wells in the gorge, passing in the middle tabor (military unite in the Ottoman army) and have killed a great Pascia.

But also the dances are beautiful:
Shpata jon gris ferman - Grupi i Vranishtit
Our sword torn the ferman

It's a sung dance. It`s a song that talk about the uprisings against the Tanzimat. The song says, Albania we are ready on feet for you. We don`t pay xhelep(Ottoman taxe) and we don`t give nizams(recruits for the Ottoman army). These are the pyrrhic dances of the Albanians reported by many travellers of the of the XIX century.
For a Lab, composing a song was always an easy thing and it was always part of their life. If two Labs met each other traveling, they sat down, smoked tobacco and began to sing. Then, after being rested a bit, everyone continued on his way.
The song was also used when you wanted to joke or make irony with someone. For example, in these days there is a student protest against the Rama government. In the video below there are some students. The one in the middle is Lab, the others not because they don`t know how to sing. He composed the song there in the moment. The song say, we are not sheepas you want and you(Rama) will fulfill all our eight requests one by one.

This thread has been viewed 44342 times.

Back