Sex & Gender Male Aggression as Sexual Competition?

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00265-018-2497-3

"[h=3]Abstract[/h]Sexual selection favors traits that increase mating and, thus, reproductive success. Some scholars have suggested that intrasexual selection driven by contest competition has shaped human male aggression. If this is the case, one testable hypothesis is that beliefs and behavior related to male aggression should be more prevalent in societies where the intensity and strength of sexual selection is higher. Measured by factors such as (a) the presence and scope of polygyny; (b) the number of same-sex competitors relative to potential mates, and (c) the amount of effort males are available to allocate to mating. Using Bayesian item response models with imputation and data from 78 societies in the Standard Cross-Cultural Sample, we found robust support for this hypothesis when using variables related to male aggression. We ruled out some potential alternative explanations by controlling for geographic region and confounding variables such as political complexity and warfare.

[h=3]Significance statement[/h]Intersexual selection or mate attraction has been well studied in both evolutionary psychology and human behavioral ecology. Intrasexual selection or competition between members of the same sex for mates has been investigated much less. Of the current studies, there is still a divide in the literature as to whether intrasexual selection could have shaped human male aggression. For this reason, we tested the idea with data from a wide range of societies, the first systematic cross-cultural study to do so. Our results suggest that factors affecting the intensity of competition for mates led to the evolution of beliefs and behavior related to male aggression in small-scale human societies. This provides support for the hypothesis that intrasexual selection has been a driving force in shaping human male aggression."

The supplementary data is available.

So, let women do the choosing and we'll start breeding out the aggression? I doubt it.

Of Ducks and Drakes: Male Violence Across Species:

Mothers Day, several years ago, I went with a friend to feed the ducks (and possibly nutria) at a local park. It was supposed to be a pleasant excursion to take my friend’s mind off of troubles with her own kids and to see some animals. It ended up being a sad and clarifying outing.

The nutria did not come out which was unfortunate as they’re really incredible creatures to interact with. We were flooded with ducks and geese grabbing our treats. After we ran out of goodies for the birds we sat talking and let everyone get back to their routines. It didn’t take long before we witnessed a horrific scene on the water of several drakes gang-raping a duck, her screaming out in pain and fear. We shouted at them and threw rocks into the water in the hopes of scaring them off but could only do so much to frighten them. They did let up soon after they were interrupted by us but it was too late, she was already hurt and violated.

The drakes swam off, we went back to our spot, reeling from what we’d just witnessed. The duck climbed onto land and waddled over near to us and began letting out the most incredibly heartbreaking, defeated cries. We chased off any drakes that came onto land to bother her. When they’d get near she’d scream and get close to us. We were there for awhile and her cries got further apart but every single one of them still deeply unsettled us. Thankfully my friend is a radical feminist so we could be honest with one another about the horror we’d just witnessed this poor duck go through but what could we do for her? She was wild and when we got too close she’d get scared as well. We had to leave her eventually with sorrow for the inevitability of her continued violation by the drakes she couldn’t escape. I left with perspective on the female condition.

A lot of feminists and progressive types ignore the fact that male violence is a cross-species experience. They blame masculine gender socialization in humans for the high rates of men’s sexual violence and general violent tendencies as a sex. There is no doubt that humans have the capacity for deep thought, reflection and the ability to make moral choices and that masculine gender socialization encourages men to embrace a very destructive way of being. Getting the message from birth that you are superior and entitled to female labor in all ofits forms doesn’t help sway men away from treating women like garbage but why do so many forget that this particular destructive and violent way of being is overwhelmingly male? Outside of male contact, these ideas seldom come into female minds at all.

My only guesses are that it is so difficult to live with the knowledge that men don’t commit the acts they do because they’re ignorant about consent or masculinity. They do these things because it is a part of their nature. It is a drive they possess deep in their cells. Women suffer because man’s will has always taken precedence over our own. It may be comforting to think that through social engineering we can achieve an end to the male violence that permeates every part of our world but it is delusional thinking. It requires ignoring what females across many species are facing. No one socialized the drakes I witnessed that day into raping the duck and yet they did.

Philosophy, ethics, social reforms and advocating that our fellow human beings embrace enlightened values are excellent uses of time and there is a pressing need for them but they will not stop rape or man’s manipulation of force. This means that if we want to do something about the massive rate of male violence we will have to create a vastly different social order. We will have to become stronger, smarter and take responsibility for the direction of the species. I do sometimes wonder if women are capable of this. Many are so helplessly stuck that they’ll confuse what I’m talking about in this post with gender essentialism/biological determinism or some nonsense like that.

Understanding that male violence is an innate problem with male creatures is not the same as believing men are destined to rule over women. Instead, it makes plain the need for women to dominate human society for everyone’s benefit. It calls on us to be strict, firm and heavy-handed. How much of women’s unwillingness to face the truth of why men rape has to do with many women’s attachment to femininity? I’m reminded of the famous line by Dworkin in her speech ‘I want a twenty-four hour truce during which there is no rape’ –“Have you ever wondered why we are not just in armed combat against you? It’s not because there’s a shortage of kitchen knives in this country. It is because we believe in your humanity,against alltheevidence.”

Let’s go further than she did. Let’s stop believing in that which there is no evidence for. Let’s analyze the data.

Source:

https://thearcticfeminist.wordpress.com

Which societies have declining birthrates?

It's almost easier to list the countries where it is not declining. :)

All of western Europe, in particular Italy, have had declining birth rates for a long time, and now it's starting to decline in Eastern Europe as well. In my parent's time, to have more than one child was almost socially unacceptable.

Through ruthless pushing of contraceptives and abortion, India's rate declined, and of course the Chinese enforced the one child policy.

I think it's also starting to decline in the Islamic countries.

In the context of the thread, I don't think that changes male competition for women and the violence it sometimes causes. China may have a problem with that, because if they could only have one child, Chinese couples more often chose males, so the disparity between the number of women versus the number of men is larger than nature "intended".

In the past aggressive males dominated society and those were the ones that had access to most of the women.
They also had the means to support their offspring, so that they would survive untill they could procreate again.

In todays society that is no longer the case.
But many women are still attracted to men with an overdose of testosterone.
They are mating, but whether they will get children and start a family is another question.

It's almost easier to list the countries where it is not declining. :)

All of western Europe, in particular Italy, have had declining birth rates for a long time, and now it's starting to decline in Eastern Europe as well. In my parent's time, to have more than one child was almost socially unacceptable.

Through ruthless pushing of contraceptives and abortion, India's rate declined, and of course the Chinese enforced the one child policy.

I think it's also starting to decline in the Islamic countries.

In the context of the thread, I don't think that changes male competition for women and the violence it sometimes causes. China may have a problem with that, because if they could only have one child, Chinese couples more often chose males, so the disparity between the number of women versus the number of men is larger than nature "intended".

now another problem is arising
people don't die anymore
fewer children and more grandparents
a society of old men with high maintenance costs

In the past aggressive males dominated society and those were the ones that had access to most of the women.
They also had the means to support their offspring, so that they would survive untill they could procreate again.

They are mating, but whether they will get children and start a family is another question.

Certain things are "hard-wired". You can't change it, although you can control it.

Baby fever is a real thing too.

now another problem is arising
people don't die anymore
fewer children and more grandparents
a society of old men with high maintenance costs

Eventually, all will Depart ...

To make the situation even worse:

The Progressives are now saying, that we should question the Morality of having Children.

This is the 1st step, the 2nd step will be to Label Immoral those couples who decide to have children.

Their view is that Children aren’t “Green”, they increase Climate Change, drain the Planet resources, and they’re bad for Student Debt.

All part of the Green Deal madness.

Why would you make a children with a man who dont have a lot of testosterone? That's overkill.

Eventually, all will Depart ...

To make the situation even worse:

The Progressives are now saying, that we should question the Morality of having Children.

This is the 1st step, the 2nd step will be to Label Immoral those couples who decide to have children.

Their view is that Children aren’t “Green”, they increase Climate Change, drain the Planet resources, and they’re bad for Student Debt.

All part of the Green Deal madness.

I just want to say that this term of Progressive is purely American, and American idea that their world comprise the entire humanity. But in facts, they are not Progressive, they are just another potential autoritarian elite.

Finally we agree on something.

These "progressives" would, if they were in power, just become another fascistic elite.

I just want to say that this term of Progressive is purely American, and American idea that their world comprise the entire humanity. But in facts, they are not Progressive, they are just another potential autoritarian elite.

You just can’t help yourself, you never lose an occation to take a Jab at America.

and American idea that their world comprise the entire humanity

What you said is not an Idea, but a Reality, America is comprised of the Entirety of Humanity.

Get with the program.
LoL

You just can’t help yourself, you never lose an occation to take a Jab at America.

What you said is not an Idea, but a Reality, America is comprised of the Entirety of Humanity.

Get with the program.
LoL

Dude you need to be kidding me. Every internal problems of Americans is constantly projected over an Universal reason, even tho Americans are absolutely unaware of how the rest of the world is dealing with things.

Exemple, i constantly see privileged white vegan Americans speaking how Animals are treated in the world. How we feed them GMO Soy or Hormones, how they live in batterie, how we are bruising chicken... NO this all happens in AMERICA almost. Most of European countries dont treat animals like this, and most of third world countries even less. When Trump was elected, i thaught finally Americans choosed to follow their own path and to stop that " Providence State " ideology. But guess i was wrong. Yeah let's make the world pictured over America, one of the few countries and place in the world that never experienced any authoritarian governement in place.

I like a lot of thing of america's culture, but the constant self-projection of most Americans as the representation of the entire world gives me ulcer.

C.F. I'm not getting with the Program, that sounds like a Californian prison term.

“Get with the program” in your case only means to stop blaming America when there's no need to, or even better, from now on:

if you don't have anything good to say about America, don't say anything at all.

Don't blame others for your Country limitations. That's what you get in Neutral Countries, limitations of projection and passivity.

I visited your Country, and I had a good time. :)

We’re Sorry for causing your Ulcer! LOL

I used to be extremely interested in sex differences in behavior, until I gradually realized that there are more similarities than differences between men and women. Yes, men are larger, stronger, more aggressive, more sexually motivated, probably more intelligent, and live less long, than women do. But not by much. If I had a nickel for every time a girl or lady made sexual overtures towards me or another man in my presence, or for every time a female outdid a male of the species on a math problem, or tore into a meek and unassuming dude, well, I would have nickels. (But as it is I surf the Internet, and no one pays me anything.)

This thread has been viewed 8638 times.

Back