I need a bit of information (Ethnicity: Albanian, y-haplogroup: J-L283)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArdianTH

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Albanian
Y-DNA haplogroup
J-L283
mtDNA haplogroup
H
Hi guys,

Please be patient with me.
I'm a starter when it comes to genetics, paternal and maternal haplogroups and therefore lack a lot of knowledge and understanding on certain topics that might seem absolutely obvious to you and in your mind don't need further elaboration.

About me: I'm a Kosovar Albanian (Western Kosovo), 1.87m tall (if that is even relevant, for whatever purpose) and do have ancestry in Montenegro (though they were Albanians, too).

Today, I got my results from 23and me and I don't really know what to do with the information I received.
My paternal haplogroup is J-L283, while my maternal haplogroup is H.
I'm 100% European (98.5% Balkans, 0.2% Italian, 0.6% Broadly Southern European, 0.3% Broadly Northwestern European and 0.5% Broadly European). Unfortunately, I can't really gather a lot of information when looking up "J-L283". Why is that?

What I understood so far:
My paternal haplogroup seems to be quite common among Albanians. And the maternal haplogroup H seems to be found all around Europe and even beyond.

As you can see, there is not a lot.

What I don't understand and what I'd kindly ask you to explain to me in order for me to get started into this world of human genetics:
  • Why is this haplogroup so common among Albanians?
  • Where did it originate? How credible is the "consensus" (if there's actually one) that it came from the step with IE migration to Europe? I thought IE's were actually associated with the sister haplogroups R1b and R1a.
  • Where does this place me in regards to the origin of Albanians? How likely is it that the pre-Slavic populations of the Balkans (Dacians, Thracians, Illyrians, Greeks and others) were part of the J-L283-family?
  • What is the difference between J-L283 and J2-M172?

Thank you all in advance.

Yesterday, 23:39
Fatherland
user-offline.png

Baron.png
Achievements:
signal_flag_blue_16.png
people_dude4_16.png
spheres_green_16.png
calendar_newred_16.png
reputation_neg.png
reputation_neg.png
Join Date05-03-17Posts340Points1,059Level8

red.png

yellow.png

blue.png

Y-DNA haplogroupJ2b2-L283MtDNA haplogroupH
Albania.gif
This guy is another Albanian in this forum. He knows a lot. get in touch with him in the forum

Hi guys,

I'm a starter when it comes to genetics, paternal and maternal haplogroups and therefore lack a lot of knowledge and understanding on certain topics that might seem absolutely obvious to you and in your mind don't need further elaboration.

About me: I'm a Kosovar Albanian (Western Kosovo), 1.87m tall (if that is even relevant, for whatever purpose) and do have ancestry in Montenegro (though they were Albanians, too).

Today, I got my results from 23and me and I don't really know what to do with the information I received.
I'm 100% European (98.5% Balkans, 0.2% Italian, 0.6% Broadly Southern European, 0.3% Broadly Northwestern European and 0.5% Broadly European). Unfortunately, I can't really gather a lot of information when looking up "J-L283". Why is that?

My paternal haplogroup seems to be quite common among Albanians. And the maternal haplogroup H seems to be found all around Europe and even beyond.

What I don't understand and what I'd kindly ask you to explain to me in order for me to get started into this world of human genetics:
  • Where did it originate? How credible is the "consensus" (if there's actually one) that it came from the step with IE migration to Europe? I thought IE's were actually associated with the sister haplogroups R1b and R1a.
  • Where does this place me in regards to the origin of Albanians? How likely is it that the pre-Slavic populations of the Balkans (Dacians, Thracians, Illyrians, Greeks and others) were part of the J-L283-family?

Trojet on here as well as Fatherland can help you with learning more about your Y-DNA. In short, its one of the most 3 common Y-DNA in Albanian. J-L283 was discovered in Proto-Illyrian remains in South Croatia. So, Illyrians definitely carried it, Thracians are likely to have as well. Other groups its possible some could have slipped into Dacians and Greeks etc, but it should have definitely been present in Illyrians, Ancient Macedonians that absorbed Illyrians and possibly Thracians as well.

I recommend testing YSEQ or FTDNA to be able to get a downstream clade prediction and to see who you match if at all within the project. Trojet can help you with the best vendor to chose for that.

Hi guys,

Hello Ardian,

J-L283 mutation is at least 5000 years old. There is many subsequent subclades below J-L283. Without doing a deeper test, it's hard to say anything more concrete, as Albanians usually belong to specific clades of J-L283.

FamilyTreeDNA has a special sale right now. I would recommend at least Y-DNA37 which can be had for $99, and contribute to the Albanian Bloodlines Project on FamilyTreeDNA. Additionally, with coupons: MERRY5 you get 5% off orders under $100 ; and MERRY10 you get 10% off orders over $100 (COUPONS EXPIRE DEC 9).

Here is the order link if interested: https://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?group=AlbanianBloodlines&code=B11086

Best.

Getting to some of your questions, J-L283 is a subgroup within the larger J2-M172 haplogroup.
We don't really where it originated and what migration brought it to the Western Balkans. What we know for sure is that it's been here since at least the Bronze Age.

For the rest, the best way to learn is to test yourself deeper at FTDNA or YSEQ ;) I was one who tested at 23andMe a few years back and had may of these questions. I realized that 23andMe wasn't getting me nowhere, so I decided to test at FamilyTreeDNA, and now I'm one of the admins of Albanian Bloodlines Project at FTDNA.

Hi guys, thank you all for your answers. I ordered Y-DNA37 a few days ago and am now waiting for shipment. I'll keep you updated and hope you'll help me interpret the results.

Just a curiosity, I am J2b2-L283 and H1, but on the opposite corner of Europe, just from northwestern corner of Iberian Peninsule. Based on 23andme results, I am 100% European but 0% Balkan. Otherwise, in some sense, we are related on our father line side!!!

Just cancelled from that forum given that I heard this awful story! Thank you for telling us your experience [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Eupedia Forum

I advise everyone not to listen to user Gash. This person got banned from one of our forums affiliated with Albanian Bloodlines Project, due to repeated inappropriate behavior and is now making up baseless accusations.

Just recently he asked to be reinstated but we denied his request due to his past behavior. Also, no one from our administration "leaked any personal information".

As for myself, in addition to the Albanian Bloodlines Project, I'm an administrator of another project with over 5000 members on FTDNA. Never been accused of the things that user Gash is making up here. Also, please read here: https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/group-projects/group-administrators-projects/

And we will obviously encourage any Albanian to join our project. There is a reason why we now have over 500 members. Without having a participation, we will not have a good understanding of our genetics, history, anthropology, genealogy, etc.

Why would I give your name to anyone or why would we as admins of a DNA and genealogy based project ask anyone to hack you? Paranoid much.

But if someone really hacked you and is threatening you go and report it to the local authorities. We as a project have nothing to hide. If the said person ends up being in our project, we will take action accordingly. Not sure what else to say to you.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
read this about your marker ...
https://j2-m172.info/2015/10/j2b2a1-l283-origins-by-diversity-and-subgroups-focus-jewish-lineages/
Do not listen to these Tosk -Gheg internet wars .........the Tosks want to eliminate the Ghegs language since 1970 , when the Albanian government decided to use the Tosk dialect as the main Official Albanian language
You need to look at old italian books from medieval times where the Tosks are referred to as the Epirotes ( like skandenberg etc ) , and gather information this way. .....the ghegs seem to be ancient Dardarnians .
ONLY YOU can find the truth

Dude, there are many ways people can get your identity. For starters, I would question that platform where you met your supposed hacker. And don’t just click on anything people send you especially via pm.

We absolutely have no reason to give your name to anyone. It honestly baffles me that you singled me out.

Sepse po du me gjet edhe me ja shkerdhy nanen. Krejt familjen n'pidh me ja qi.
Po shko gjeje dhe sqarohu si te duash me te ate. Por jo ketu se u beme per turp.
Fshini ca keni shkruar se lame nam.

I already explained that somebody has given him my name because it was a pic from google street view so he used my surname to find my family because you cant find me on google. I am not registered anywhere nor on social medias, atleast not with my real name. It is literally impossible to find me. Except for people from the project I have never given out my name to anyone. It was natural for me to suspect you first since we also had arguements but I cannot accuse you until proven guilty. I have absolutely no idea who else would do it. I very much doubt Fustan or Herr Abubu are even on that forum or know that guy so it isnt them. Kastrioti1443 ? Did he found out my name ? I highly doubt it. I have no idea who it could be.

This all happened right when I joined , its like he knew who I was the moment I mentioned that I'm IceT (a username from another forum) or when I posted pics of myself which arent found anywhere, that I live in Norway and that Im a Drenicak. Its like somebody told him who I am. And sent him after me.

No links clicked no email with real name registered and it wasnt a hack or anything so links is pointless but it was an image from google street view he posted where he clearly was doing some stalking and even tried guessing where I work and he guessed totally wrong and also mentioned a shop that isnt even in that town. Just simple stalking by using a name and google street view. The name which clearly somebody has given to him.

The admin has nothing to do with it either. He's the one who told me the guy is actually a hacker or calls himself such before I even knew and that I should put him on ignore. He doesnt ban people easily. He doesnt even ban people he doesnt like. He was right cuz when I looked at some threads the so called hacker made it was a lot about computers , about linux etc

I have been a cracker myself and I know how these things work.

Anyway, I learned my lesson and I value anonimity now even more.

So you can thumb me down all you want but my story is 100% legitimate

Po shko gjeje dhe sqarohu si te duash me te ate. Por jo ketu se u beme per turp.
Fshini ca keni shkruar se lame nam.

Kjo situata osht Tosk on Gheg crime o shok

Por ndoshta naj Gheg i ka ndihmu pra qenke tradhetar ai. Thjesht.

Pse nuk kepusni qafen keshtu sic jeni te gjithe. Na nxorret bojen na bete per nje lek more plehra.
Kujt po i thua pleher ti, kalavesh jevgu? Ikni andej nga keni ardhur se jeni ba si rriçne bythe, s’na leni dot hapesire ne keto platformat interrnacionale.

This got a little bit out of control, I guess.

This is an English only site. Please abide by the rules.

This is also a personal dispute. Take it to pm.

The thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 15919 times.

Back