Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 83

Thread: Revised reconstruction of Bronze Age Scottish woman based on analyzed snps

  1. #26
    Regular Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered
    Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-04-18
    Age
    27
    Posts
    118
    Points
    870
    Level
    7
    Points: 870, Level: 7
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 31.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J-L283

    Ethnic group
    Ancient
    Country: United States





    She has a flat nose.

  2. #27
    Elite member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    25-10-11
    Location
    Brittany
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,346
    Points
    36,232
    Level
    58
    Points: 36,232, Level: 58
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 32.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

    Ethnic group
    more celtic
    Country: France



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    The Scottish Lassie
    She seems having been subbrachycephalic at first sight but it’s without any certainty - her forehead has a vertical profile - her skull is very flat on its top giving her a linear profile, and so does not evocate a close affinity either to ‘dinaric’ or to the kind of ‘borreby’ present among the Round Barrows people ; its profile for a broad skull could almost suggest an artificial deformation – maybe closer to the « croma-borreby » (only my descriptive naming, not a coined scientific term : ATW less brutal type) - I cannot judge of the accuracy of the reconstruction, because we lack measurements, aside the habitual caution about flesh and hair: eyelids, eyebrows, nose tip, mouth aperture and lips… - but I’m not sure they did not underrate the cheekbones (or they are broad but not protuding forwards like among ‘mongoloid’ people) – I was ready to say she had a deep inferior jaw as had the borreby-like Round Barrows men mentioned afore -but I knew this jaw was lacking and only imagined based upon some rare teeth : not serious at all ! (teeth sometimes do’nt correspond tightly to jaws, crossings unbalanced result or not) -


    When I look at the picture, she doesn’t look ‘mediterranean’or ‘southern’ (almost no trait, except dark complexion what doesn’t mean much) as said some people ; when people will cease to speak of ‘southern’ or ‘mediterranean’ everytime they speak of a dark pigmented ‘europoid’ ? She only looks weird (inhabitual). If I could rely on her reconstruction I could imagine some WSHG input, but… ? It seems to me his bonny nasal bridge is very far from the HG’s descendants one, she had a weak subglabella depression and a not agressive profile under it, so here again not typically HG, Round Barrows or BB -


    So called ‘Borreby’s variations are a mix of diverse types where some previously dolichcephalic Mesolithic pops themselves post-Paleolithic play a role. But I’m still searching the cause of their partial brachycephalisation : local, as among ‘alpines’, influence of ‘alpines’, or a brachycephalic eastern element from East the Forest Steppes, « ANE » at some depth of ancestry and not typically ‘east-asian’, or a bit of all that?


    & : Contrary to what has been said, the ‘borreby’ complex isn’t old in Scandinavia and goes back to the 3000 BC if I’m right. What we have before is always (meso-)dolichocephalic, HG or Neolithic, no change for this aspect. It owes in some part to the European HG’s but surely to others too, these last ones at a low percentage whose auDNA is uneasy to track ; I saw some very curious faces and noses among Scandinavians, whatever the pigmentation ; by the way the ‘borreby’ types are not tightly linked to blond hair, this trait was maybe never a 100 % fixed one ; and it seems to me it exists a gradiant between well marked ‘borreby’s of any sort and so called ‘east-baltic’ types, gradiant where the eastern input could play – I report some old anthropologists speaking about current pops or the Isles (Shetland, Isle of Man, Wales, Ireland) spoke of « turanid » faces present at low percentage, with dark hairs, most among females according to him : J. Beddoe thought in a possible slaves trade of Norwegians : could Y-Q in Northern Europe and its too high frequency among British Viking places have a link with all this ? (here, it would exclude the slave question) - Caution ! - It seems this so called type was/is present too in Bretons at very low rate -


    && : ToBeOrNotToBe : without to choose a side, I recall the look, texture and colour of head hair can change by chimical actions after dead ; Look at Egyptian mummies – and a lot of the « Amerindian » ancient people pictured were children.

  3. #28
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    16-10-17
    Posts
    187
    Points
    2,458
    Level
    14
    Points: 2,458, Level: 14
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 31.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    H2 P96
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c3

    Country: UK - England



    0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    She has a flat nose.
    Must be typical British then, Her husband has probably give her one.

  4. #29
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    18-08-15
    Posts
    1,374
    Points
    5,949
    Level
    22
    Points: 5,949, Level: 22
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5a

    Ethnic group
    Swiss
    Country: Switzerland



    She looks something modern Russian / Romanian, roughly Baltic without the depigmentation. Do we know the cultural phase she belong to? The Mesolithic Scandinavian and British Modern and Neolithic have I2a1b in common and almost all British Neolithic sample are I2a1 or I2a2. And she clearly look like the stereotypical Bell Beaker, so how would she come from North Europe? I hope they put the sample datas public to be analyzed by other people.

    Edit: Interesting enough, she was a Bell Beaker woman from Caithness dated 2300-2140 cal BCE. Mtdna H5. So are Beaker folk from Northern Europe now? Interesting. Also sadly she is not into the Genetiker pigmentation predictions. Hope it will soon.

    Interesting also, it's the Reich Lab who was in charge.

  5. #30
    Moderator Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second ClassThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award

    Join Date
    21-10-16
    Posts
    1,722
    Points
    26,270
    Level
    49
    Points: 26,270, Level: 49
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 39.0%


    Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Except that they've analyzed her genome and she doesn't.
    Do you mean extra EEF? I mean, if she was 100% Bell Beaker, then she must've had a good amount of EEF admixture brought in from the continent. I'm surprised people in this topic have a hard time just accepting that maybe Bell Beaker people were just as varied as modern Germans or Britons in terms of eye and hair color. Why wouldn't they be if they had multiple ancestral components?

  6. #31
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    18-08-15
    Posts
    1,374
    Points
    5,949
    Level
    22
    Points: 5,949, Level: 22
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5a

    Ethnic group
    Swiss
    Country: Switzerland



    Quote Originally Posted by Ygorcs View Post
    Do you mean extra EEF? I mean, if she was 100% Bell Beaker, then she must've had a good amount of EEF admixture brought in from the continent. I'm surprised people in this topic have a hard time just accepting that maybe Bell Beaker people were just as varied as modern Germans or Britons in terms of eye and hair color. Why wouldn't they be if they had multiple ancestral components?
    Well... No. Extra EEF doesn't mean = dark features, it's actually pretty much the countrary. Funnelbeaker, Globular Amphora wich were the Late " Northern " Neolithic were all Blonde with Blue eyes. Steppe people had dark features, so the extra EEF doesn't make sense into the Phenotypical deduction here. Also a lot of British Bell Beaker were Blonde with Blue eyes following Genetiker calls. Once again my problem with the paper are TAGS wich seems odd for a scientifical paper " Dark Hair, Dark Eyes, Migrant, Northern Europe, ". Do you know that United Kingdom is one of the most Political Correct country nowadays? Just keep this detail in mind when you need to read paper from there.

  7. #32
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    ToBeOrNotToBe's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-12-16
    Posts
    1,116


    Country: United Kingdom



    0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ygorcs View Post
    Do you mean extra EEF? I mean, if she was 100% Bell Beaker, then she must've had a good amount of EEF admixture brought in from the continent. I'm surprised people in this topic have a hard time just accepting that maybe Bell Beaker people were just as varied as modern Germans or Britons in terms of eye and hair color. Why wouldn't they be if they had multiple ancestral components?
    Come on she is very dark though, looks completely out of place. If her nose is relatively flat, that's typically Borreby. And why did they decide to give her coarse straight hair? That kind of hair texture is much more common among East Asians and Native Americans. It's just a shambles really, and worst of all the media then uses this picture and says "Bronze Age immigrant looks like this". Not suggesting conspiracy, just poor methodology.

    And I will add that I got chastised for mentioning they aren't good at detecting red hair, and lo and behold a few days later it turns out that's completely the case (on the side of overestimating red hair though, but it shows they haven't got it down to a tee yet). I'm sure a lot of these Beakers were actually red haired, where else did it come from in modern Brits - no, Angela, not the Vikings!

  8. #33
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,933
    Points
    256,075
    Level
    100
    Points: 256,075, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by halfalp View Post
    Well... No. Extra EEF doesn't mean = dark features, it's actually pretty much the countrary. Funnelbeaker, Globular Amphora wich were the Late " Northern " Neolithic were all Blonde with Blue eyes. Steppe people had dark features, so the extra EEF doesn't make sense into the Phenotypical deduction here. Also a lot of British Bell Beaker were Blonde with Blue eyes following Genetiker calls. Once again my problem with the paper are TAGS wich seems odd for a scientifical paper " Dark Hair, Dark Eyes, Migrant, Northern Europe, ". Do you know that United Kingdom is one of the most Political Correct country nowadays? Just keep this detail in mind when you need to read paper from there.
    I explained that she had no British Neolithic EEF. Of course, as a central European Bell Beaker she would have been about 50% EEF. (Post number 8)

    @Half Alp,
    The majority of European farmers were dark-haired and dark-eyed, with a few picking up the blue eyes from WHG. They just had European fair skin. Those predictions for Globular Amphora, coming from genetiker, and making predictions based on single snps (which is completely wrong) are highly suspect. Plus, who says all the "farmer" ancestry in Beakers came from Globular Amphora?

    There is, in addition, actual phenotypic data from the English Beaker samples. The blonde and blue-eyed beakers were in the minority, and they had more than a few dark-haired, dark-eyed ones. Go check the paper. It will clear up your confusion.

    As to red hair, I was completely correct. A recent paper shows that the one snp used to supposedly "predict" red hair is not sufficient to predict it. So throw out all those genetiker predictions. Again, people, especially TBONTB, READ THE PAPERS. Algorithms can indeed predict dark hair and dark eyes. The majority of the Beakers had dark hair and dark eyes to the best of my recollection.

    As Moesan has pointed out again and again, the point of the nose has to be guessed at because nothing remains. However, flat noses are by no means uncommon among the British. It's one of their unattractive traits. Even someone otherwise as beautiful as Catherine Zeta Jones has it.

    Before plastic surgery:




    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  9. #34
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Carlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-09-11
    Posts
    1,552
    Points
    15,364
    Level
    37
    Points: 15,364, Level: 37
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 21.0%


    Ethnic group
    España
    Country: Spain



    When I saw her, it was familiar to me, I have it on the tip of my tongue as we say around here, I do not remember her name but she was a classmate in elementary school, her parents were from LeĂłn. He is not my type, I like him but he is a kind of woman very applied, good student, without a hint of madness, maybe he keeps his dreams for herself, but I must admit that she is a good woman for any man.

  10. #35
    Moderator Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second ClassThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award

    Join Date
    21-10-16
    Posts
    1,722
    Points
    26,270
    Level
    49
    Points: 26,270, Level: 49
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 39.0%


    Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by halfalp View Post
    Well... No. Extra EEF doesn't mean = dark features, it's actually pretty much the countrary. Funnelbeaker, Globular Amphora wich were the Late " Northern " Neolithic were all Blonde with Blue eyes. Steppe people had dark features, so the extra EEF doesn't make sense into the Phenotypical deduction here. Also a lot of British Bell Beaker were Blonde with Blue eyes following Genetiker calls. Once again my problem with the paper are TAGS wich seems odd for a scientifical paper " Dark Hair, Dark Eyes, Migrant, Northern Europe, ". Do you know that United Kingdom is one of the most Political Correct country nowadays? Just keep this detail in mind when you need to read paper from there.
    Dark features? Well, I'm not sure where you and ToBeOrNotToBe came from and what people you've mt, but she's basically as dark as Catherina Zeta Jones and Pierce Brosnan, she wouldn't come off as non-European to me in any way. There are plenty of Southern and even Northern Europeans with skin complexion and, of course, dark hair and eyes. I think you guys are overstating the "darkness" of that reconstruction a lot.

    Also, I don't think you should equate all EEF with the Northern European GAC and Funnelbeaker. From the example of modern Barbagia Sardinians, the closest to EEF, and many other ancient DNA samples we can be pretty sure that many if not even most EEF were dark-haired, dark-eyed and not that pale-skinned.

  11. #36
    Moderator Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second ClassThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award

    Join Date
    21-10-16
    Posts
    1,722
    Points
    26,270
    Level
    49
    Points: 26,270, Level: 49
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 39.0%


    Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToBeOrNotToBe View Post
    Come on she is very dark though, looks completely out of place. If her nose is relatively flat, that's typically Borreby. And why did they decide to give her coarse straight hair? That kind of hair texture is much more common among East Asians and Native Americans. It's just a shambles really, and worst of all the media then uses this picture and says "Bronze Age immigrant looks like this". Not suggesting conspiracy, just poor methodology.

    And I will add that I got chastised for mentioning they aren't good at detecting red hair, and lo and behold a few days later it turns out that's completely the case (on the side of overestimating red hair though, but it shows they haven't got it down to a tee yet). I'm sure a lot of these Beakers were actually red haired, where else did it come from in modern Brits - no, Angela, not the Vikings!
    Well, man, "very dark" is overstretching it "a bit", don't you think so? As Angela has already demonstrated with many pictures above, that girl wouldn't be very "outlandish" even in modern Britain, let alone in ancient times thousands of years of continuing selection for lighter features apart from us.

    As for her hair texture, honestly you must never have met a Native American or an East Asian person in your life, because their hair is usually much thicker, straighter and "smoother" (in the way it looks) than the hair of most Europeans, many of whom actually have wavy or this kind of "coarse straight" hair (whatever that means, for me the girl's hair is just moderately wavy).

    As for red hair, I'm pretty sure you must know that, that being a recessive trait, it's very unlikely that there was ever any migration of a "red-haired people" into Britain or anywhere else, but the migration of a people with higher frequency of red hair amidst many other people with dark and light brown as well as blonde hair. Populations are not monolithic. This girl could perfectly have black hair and live alongside red-haired people. That happens all the time in Ireland and Scotland.

    As per the flatter nose, it's not unheard of in Europe at all, and I have often found that many Baltic women have a slightly flatter nose, and they also have the highest amount of WHG+EHG ancestry in Europe AFAIK. Just saying.

  12. #37
    Moderator Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second ClassThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award

    Join Date
    21-10-16
    Posts
    1,722
    Points
    26,270
    Level
    49
    Points: 26,270, Level: 49
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 39.0%


    Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    Quote Originally Posted by halfalp View Post
    She looks something modern Russian / Romanian, roughly Baltic without the depigmentation. Do we know the cultural phase she belong to? The Mesolithic Scandinavian and British Modern and Neolithic have I2a1b in common and almost all British Neolithic sample are I2a1 or I2a2. And she clearly look like the stereotypical Bell Beaker, so how would she come from North Europe? I hope they put the sample datas public to be analyzed by other people.

    Edit: Interesting enough, she was a Bell Beaker woman from Caithness dated 2300-2140 cal BCE. Mtdna H5. So are Beaker folk from Northern Europe now? Interesting. Also sadly she is not into the Genetiker pigmentation predictions. Hope it will soon.

    Interesting also, it's the Reich Lab who was in charge.
    I also think there is something vaguely Baltic about her, only darker.

  13. #38
    Moderator Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second ClassThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award

    Join Date
    21-10-16
    Posts
    1,722
    Points
    26,270
    Level
    49
    Points: 26,270, Level: 49
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 39.0%


    Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    Quote Originally Posted by ToBeOrNotToBe View Post
    See here: https://www.gofundme.com/paracas-elo...kull-dna-tests and check the updates section. Bear in mind the guy seems to believe they could be part alien - but that doesn't mean he's fabricating results.
    Oh, of course not, it's totally reliable nonetheless... LOL! :-D

    But seriously, apart from the light hair, is there anything really obvious visually in thoe mummies that makes them so unquestionably European? I hope people don't find Melanesian blonde mummies in some millennia and think they were necessarily from Europe...

  14. #39
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,933
    Points
    256,075
    Level
    100
    Points: 256,075, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Ygorcs View Post
    Well, man, "very dark" is overstretching it "a bit", don't you think so? As Angela has already demonstrated with many pictures above, that girl wouldn't be very "outlandish" even in modern Britain, let alone in ancient times thousands of years of continuing selection for lighter features apart from us.

    As for her hair texture, honestly you must never have met a Native American or an East Asian person in your life, because their hair is usually much thicker, straighter and "smoother" (in the way it looks) than the hair of most Europeans, many of whom actually have wavy or this kind of "coarse straight" hair (whatever that means, for me the girl's hair is just moderately wavy).

    As for red hair, I'm pretty sure you must know that, that being a recessive trait, it's very unlikely that there was ever any migration of a "red-haired people" into Britain or anywhere else, but the migration of a people with higher frequency of red hair amidst many other people with dark and light brown as well as blonde hair. Populations are not monolithic. This girl could perfectly have black hair and live alongside red-haired people. That happens all the time in Ireland and Scotland.

    As per the flatter nose, it's not unheard of in Europe at all, and I have often found that many Baltic women have a slightly flatter nose, and they also have the highest amount of WHG+EHG ancestry in Europe AFAIK. Just saying.
    Not only have a lot of these people on "anthropology" sites never traveled, but they also don't watch British media.


    Minnie Driver could play her in a movie:

    Alan Cumming:

    Ken Scott:

    David Tennant:

    Tommy Flanagan

    Ioan Gruffudd

    John Rhys-Davies

    Jonathan Pryce


    Jonathan Pryce and the Pope:



    Patrick Mower

    Jeffrey Dean Morgan


    Ciaran Hinds

    Colin Farrell


    From above: Aidan Turner and Kit Harrington


    Kit Harrington:


    I could go on and on, especially if I included black haired blue eyed Irish people.

    This is not even starting on the world of sport:

    John Williams:


    You’ll notice these are predominantly Celtic periphery people…not the more heavily Saxon areas.

  15. #40
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    18-08-15
    Posts
    1,374
    Points
    5,949
    Level
    22
    Points: 5,949, Level: 22
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5a

    Ethnic group
    Swiss
    Country: Switzerland



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I explained that she had no British Neolithic EEF. Of course, as a central European Bell Beaker she would have been about 50% EEF. (Post number 8)

    @Half Alp,
    The majority of European farmers were dark-haired and dark-eyed, with a few picking up the blue eyes from WHG. They just had European fair skin. Those predictions for Globular Amphora, coming from genetiker, and making predictions based on single snps (which is completely wrong) are highly suspect. Plus, who says all the "farmer" ancestry in Beakers came from Globular Amphora?

    There is, in addition, actual phenotypic data from the English Beaker samples. The blonde and blue-eyed beakers were in the minority, and they had more than a few dark-haired, dark-eyed ones. Go check the paper. It will clear up your confusion.

    As to red hair, I was completely correct. A recent paper shows that the one snp used to supposedly "predict" red hair is not sufficient to predict it. So throw out all those genetiker predictions. Again, people, especially TBONTB, READ THE PAPERS. Algorithms can indeed predict dark hair and dark eyes. The majority of the Beakers had dark hair and dark eyes to the best of my recollection.

    As Moesan has pointed out again and again, the point of the nose has to be guessed at because nothing remains. However, flat noses are by no means uncommon among the British. It's one of their unattractive traits. Even someone otherwise as beautiful as Catherine Zeta Jones has it.

    Before plastic surgery:


    Actually i dont have anything with the reconstruction, wich sense to me more real than the first one. I have problem with the Phrasé of the paper as i said. As passionate of History and Anthropology / Archeogenetic, most of those paper doesn't change too much over the big pictures we can know over all the world. But those kind of study, in BBC, with words like Dark Features not Light ones, Migrant, Northern Europe... Most lambda English people gonna reconstructe this this way " see, already in prehistory, there was dark featured people from scandinavia who migrate in england " and here we go with the same stuff as the reconstruction of Cheddar Man.

    Also, every Dark people ( in an European physical way ) doesn't equal each other. In British Islands there is clear roots, some people looking clearly Mediterranean, others look cleary into the Dinaric-Armenid substrat. The features dark or light are less important than the general face.

  16. #41
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    18-08-15
    Posts
    1,374
    Points
    5,949
    Level
    22
    Points: 5,949, Level: 22
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5a

    Ethnic group
    Swiss
    Country: Switzerland



    Quote Originally Posted by Ygorcs View Post
    Dark features? Well, I'm not sure where you and ToBeOrNotToBe came from and what people you've mt, but she's basically as dark as Catherina Zeta Jones and Pierce Brosnan, she wouldn't come off as non-European to me in any way. There are plenty of Southern and even Northern Europeans with skin complexion and, of course, dark hair and eyes. I think you guys are overstating the "darkness" of that reconstruction a lot.

    Also, I don't think you should equate all EEF with the Northern European GAC and Funnelbeaker. From the example of modern Barbagia Sardinians, the closest to EEF, and many other ancient DNA samples we can be pretty sure that many if not even most EEF were dark-haired, dark-eyed and not that pale-skinned.
    But, i dont equal all EEF ancestry as GAC and Funnelbeaker, they are stated that she is a second generation migrant coming from Northern Europe, wich at this point can only be Bell Beaker or Corded Ware. Wich if we assume her grand parents came from Netherlands, her EEF ancestry must have been from GAC or Funnelbeaker ( maybe a local resurgence of LBK ). As for Dark Features, i'm obviously. talking about it in an European way ( i have dark features myself ), not like " Africa ".

  17. #42
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    18-08-15
    Posts
    1,374
    Points
    5,949
    Level
    22
    Points: 5,949, Level: 22
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5a

    Ethnic group
    Swiss
    Country: Switzerland



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I explained that she had no British Neolithic EEF. Of course, as a central European Bell Beaker she would have been about 50% EEF. (Post number 8)

    @Half Alp,
    The majority of European farmers were dark-haired and dark-eyed, with a few picking up the blue eyes from WHG. They just had European fair skin. Those predictions for Globular Amphora, coming from genetiker, and making predictions based on single snps (which is completely wrong) are highly suspect. Plus, who says all the "farmer" ancestry in Beakers came from Globular Amphora?

    There is, in addition, actual phenotypic data from the English Beaker samples. The blonde and blue-eyed beakers were in the minority, and they had more than a few dark-haired, dark-eyed ones. Go check the paper. It will clear up your confusion.

    As to red hair, I was completely correct. A recent paper shows that the one snp used to supposedly "predict" red hair is not sufficient to predict it. So throw out all those genetiker predictions. Again, people, especially TBONTB, READ THE PAPERS. Algorithms can indeed predict dark hair and dark eyes. The majority of the Beakers had dark hair and dark eyes to the best of my recollection.

    As Moesan has pointed out again and again, the point of the nose has to be guessed at because nothing remains. However, flat noses are by no means uncommon among the British. It's one of their unattractive traits. Even someone otherwise as beautiful as Catherine Zeta Jones has it.

    Before plastic surgery:


    As for Genetiker calls, i take them with some salts, but it seems most of Barcin and Neolithic Balkans test that would have Blonde Hairs were from mtdna N1a1a, wich makes me think to a founder effect with the same origin as the European Blonde hairs but away from the same source ( Iron_Gates HG's were all dark, not even Blue Eyes ). So i like to keep them in mind to brainstorm things.

  18. #43
    Elite member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    25-10-11
    Location
    Brittany
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,346
    Points
    36,232
    Level
    58
    Points: 36,232, Level: 58
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 32.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

    Ethnic group
    more celtic
    Country: France



    Quote Originally Posted by halfalp View Post
    She looks something modern Russian / Romanian, roughly Baltic without the depigmentation. Do we know the cultural phase she belong to? The Mesolithic Scandinavian and British Modern and Neolithic have I2a1b in common and almost all British Neolithic sample are I2a1 or I2a2. And she clearly look like the stereotypical Bell Beaker, so how would she come from North Europe? I hope they put the sample datas public to be analyzed by other people.



    Edit: Interesting enough, she was a Bell Beaker woman from Caithness dated 2300-2140 cal BCE. Mtdna H5. So are Beaker folk from Northern Europe now? Interesting. Also sadly she is not into the Genetiker pigmentation predictions. Hope it will soon.

    Interesting also, it's the Reich Lab who was in charge.
    NO, this look IS NOT BBlike at all! (too flat nose, too vertical forehead, too low skull etc...) BUT is it her true look???

  19. #44
    Elite member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    25-10-11
    Location
    Brittany
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,346
    Points
    36,232
    Level
    58
    Points: 36,232, Level: 58
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 32.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

    Ethnic group
    more celtic
    Country: France



    as a whole, British people have not flat noses. What occurs sometimes are A: noses with kind of a depression under glabella, but a bit under it, the line of the nose takes off a bit. B: among HG's of any sort, the depression existed, but with a rather agressive line just under. That kind of pseudo "flat" noses (A), less rare among British Celts, the most among Irish people, evocates in some way something 'lappish' or 'finnish', "eats-baltic" fr someones; it occurs also among some Scandinavians. Maybe it justifies the 'turanid' pronostic by people like J. Beddoe. All the way, it was not the BB nose, but surely implies some input from North-East not-Russian Europe: when? Vikings period? Before?
    to come back to the topic, I cannot devine the complete nasal line of this wife so...

  20. #45
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    18-08-15
    Posts
    1,374
    Points
    5,949
    Level
    22
    Points: 5,949, Level: 22
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5a

    Ethnic group
    Swiss
    Country: Switzerland



    Quote Originally Posted by MOESAN View Post
    NO, this look IS NOT BBlike at all! (too flat nose, too vertical forehead, too low skull etc...) BUT is it her true look???
    If she's not, why would i have the intuition she is before even knows her origin?

  21. #46
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,933
    Points
    256,075
    Level
    100
    Points: 256,075, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Well, some things we know because we have the snps. She had black hair, brown eyes, and a medium complexion, and so did a lot of the other Beakers who went to England.

    As for the cranial and facial bones, here is the skull. Whether or not it fits our preconceptions about what Beakers looked like, she's a Beaker girl, and this is her skull.


  22. #47
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    18-08-15
    Posts
    1,374
    Points
    5,949
    Level
    22
    Points: 5,949, Level: 22
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5a

    Ethnic group
    Swiss
    Country: Switzerland



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Well, some things we know because we have the snps. She had black hair, brown eyes, and a medium complexion, and so did a lot of the other Beakers who went to England.

    As for the cranial and facial bones, here is the skull. Whether or not it fits our preconceptions about what Beakers looked like, she's a Beaker girl, and this is her skull.

    She clearly look not with what we would imagine about Farmers skulls ( Mediterranean ). She has that weird Brachycephale but very robust cranium. I guess what MOESAN consider a typical BB cranium, would be something like modern Dinarid people very narrow and with a flat occiput, but she clearly doesn't look like your typical Farmer. If we believe by some, that Brachycephally happened because of Farming, well... If we believe it's an ethnic founder effect that propagated from a source by migrations ( juste like me ), i bet she is representative by a physical type that expand in western europe by the balkans. From Steppe or Anatolia? No idea, but we should reborn physical anthropolgy, i recognize that we ain't gonna learn anything about ourself with, but it still can be pertinent to see mixing with different populations, or just a migration pattern. For me, she clearly look like something modern Baltic and Steppic. Something Uralic, like a Siberian face ( the flat nose, the wide face ) but like a Romanian girl.

  23. #48
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Carlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-09-11
    Posts
    1,552
    Points
    15,364
    Level
    37
    Points: 15,364, Level: 37
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 21.0%


    Ethnic group
    España
    Country: Spain



    Attachment 10586

    I have been working on it for several hours with the premise of what would it really be like if it were in front of it? without looking for any result and letting me carry and working she has revealed herself. It does not pretend to be science, it is my technique and nothing else.

    Observing her, it is possible that she had a slight strabismus in the right eye, a detail for those who might be interested, I think that according to my technique I was cross-eyed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Carlos; 30-12-18 at 03:58.

  24. #49
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience Points
    Alcuin's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-12-17
    Posts
    79
    Points
    363
    Level
    4
    Points: 363, Level: 4
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: UK - England



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I don't think there needs to be any more incredulity at the fact that British people can naturally be black haired and brown eyed: no need for "foreign" ancestry
    This has always confused me. I know that on other anthropology and genetics forums, people seem to believe that Britons are all crypto-Jews. I'm also tickled by those who think the Anglo-Saxons who migrated to Britain were all blond Swedish-types, without so much as a single brown-haired chap amongst them.

    The combination of dark brown or black hair, olive skin and brown eyes is very much uncommon here, though brown-eyed blondes and certainly blue-eyed brunettes are more plentiful. The original reconstruction looked typically-British, whereas the new one is more striking. You don't see so many of those around England or Scotland. It's not the skull shape, facial features or colouration, but the combination thereof. I suppose Catherine Zeta-Jones is comparable, or this actress:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzHFovnoHNQ

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblob View Post
    ThE Yamnaya Culture was related to the ancestors of modern Native Americans
    Didn't it emerge 10,000 years after the settlement of the Americas...?

    Quote Originally Posted by MOESAN View Post
    as a whole, British people have not flat noses
    I agree with this, it's quite rare to see a flat nose. You probably find more in the Irish

  25. #50
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-08-18
    Posts
    842
    Points
    10,677
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,677, Level: 31
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 76.0%


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
    This has always confused me. I know that on other anthropology and genetics forums, people seem to believe that Britons are all crypto-Jews. I'm also tickled by those who think the Anglo-Saxons who migrated to Britain were all blond Swedish-types, without so much as a single brown-haired chap amongst them.

    The combination of dark brown or black hair, olive skin and brown eyes is very much uncommon here, though brown-eyed blondes and certainly blue-eyed brunettes are more plentiful. The original reconstruction looked typically-British, whereas the new one is more striking. You don't see so many of those around England or Scotland. It's not the skull shape, facial features or colouration, but the combination thereof. I suppose Catherine Zeta-Jones is comparable, or this actress:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzHFovnoHNQ



    Didn't it emerge 10,000 years after the settlement of the Americas...?



    I agree with this, it's quite rare to see a flat nose. You probably find more in the Irish
    What about Wales or Ireland? Those places probably received the least post Bronze Age admixture. Anecdotally, I'd met an Irish woman in Italy who had very similar eye and hair pigmentation, and she didn't have the typically North-West European skin either, so she would tan to a quite brownish tone.

    As regards comparisons with modern populations, one thing that has to be kept in mind with these reconstructions is that in the metal ages and beyond people tended to have more pronounced jaws, and a somewhat heavier facial bone structure in general. There are other features like the slight suppression on top of the skull, the extremely low height of the cranium etc. that have more or less disappeared from European populations.
    Last edited by markod; 02-01-19 at 01:11.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •