Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Polish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-L617
mtDNA haplogroup
W6a
What is the distribution of haplogroups among Sephardic Jews?

Do they have any R1b?

Yes, they do carry R1B. All Jewish groups carry R1B but the majority Haplogroup is always Haplogroup J.

I make no claims about this being the last of best word. So, fwiw

See:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4313780/

f4YJJdb.png

For meaningful discussion you'd need much more resolved y data. The R1a is probably mostly Z93, yes?

According to tests conducted by Nebel in 2001 on a sample of 78 Sephardic Jews they actually have slightly more R1B than J (29.5% compared to 28.2%). Kurdish Jews are 37.4% J and 20.2% R1B (Nebel 2001: Sample size = 95). The outlier here are the Ashkenazi Jews who are either 43% J and 11.4% R1B, or they're 38% J and 0% R1B. Depending on who you ask (Nebel 2001: Sample size = 79 for the former and Behar 2004: Sample size 442 for the latter).

Ashkenazi Jews actually have a higher percentage of E1b1b than Sephardic Jews. Which to me calls into question whether this is actually the result of African admixture as opposed to Balkan

We can look at the Ashkenazi Jews through a number of studies. The latest and largest (1600) is by Hammer.

arU9kif.png

In that much more reliable study (compared to Nebel with 79 participants and outdated methodology) only 3% M78 indicates a limited input from the Balkans or Greeks in general.

I also don't understand this talk of "African" admixture. It was undoubtedly picked up in the Near East.

As for "Sephardi Jews", comparisons with Ashkenazi Jews are extremely difficult, because every study seems to define the Sephardim differently. Some limit it to only Jews descended from Iberian Jews. However, some of those Jews have mixed with Jews from lands to which they fled after the expulsion. Some have mixed with North African Jews, some with Jews in Syria, some with Jews in the Balkans. Some researchers even include Jews from Iraq and Iran within the larger umbrella of "Sephardic" Jews. It is usually based on whether Jews use the "Sephardic" rite in prayer or the Ashkenazi rite.

This thread has been viewed 6875 times.

Back