Politics Yellow vests in europe, who are they?

...tell our Democrats how you propose to provide cradle to grave nanny care for everyone

It is this type of remark that makes me touchy. This is sheer caricature. Never ever did I make any such claim. On the contrary, I pointed out that our system is too generous, and that jobseekers take undue advantage of it. I want lighter taxes, not more welfare state. I condemn profiteering, whatever form it takes, and parasitical attitudes, whatever forms they take.

But, yes, I do get tired of seeing people pounce on corny clichés without bothering to read what I write. Not all French people are whiny loafers. And we don't wear berets any more.

It is this type of remark that makes me touchy. This is sheer caricature. Never ever did I make any such claim. On the contrary, I pointed out that our system is too generous, and that jobseekers take undue advantage of it. I want lighter taxes, not more welfare state. I condemn profiteering, whatever form it takes, and parasitical attitudes, whatever forms they take.
But, yes, I do get tired of seeing people pounce on corny clichés without bothering to read what I write. Not all French people are whiny loafers. And we don't wear berets any more.

I agree that people should not generalised people based on their ethnicity.

I went to England recently with my husband. Now, I am not a person who talks to people I don't know. My husband's English is not very good, however, because of the fact that he is white and that I am Asian, the people over there assume that he understands them and that I don't. In fact, it is the other way round. :50:

I have to say your English is very good. I know a lot of French university graduates, their English is much poorer than yours.

IMHO, the Yellow Vests are are just a group of whiny troublemakers, the epitome of the French universal protester who is never happy about anything and tries to blame it all on the government. They are self-deluded, attention-seeking anarchists and rebels who do not really give a damn about their country's well being.

Officially they are mainly demonstrating against the increase in diesel taxes, which aims at making polluting diesel about the same price as the cleaner gasoline. I don't even understand why they are so outraged about this. The aim is to make the air cleaner because diesel fumes has been blamed for causing many diseases, including a great number of cancers (nose, throat, lung, stomach, kidney, bladder, bone marrow, blood) and neurological diseases like ALS and dementia. Many big cities around world have already banned (some) diesel or planned to progressively ban it (based on emission standards) in coming years, including Tokyo, Los Angeles, Mexico, Delhi, Cape Town, London, Paris, Brussels, Berlin, Hamburg, Barcelona, Madrid, Athens, Rome and Milan.

In other words the Yellow Vests are fighting against environmental and health measures to improve quality of life. Their selfish behaviour has already caused millions of euros of physical damages (acts of vandalism against French citizens and shops) while French retailers have lost about €1 billion due to the decline in restaurant trade.

Personally I think that the French government should be much tougher against these anarchist vandals. It is the government's duty to protect its law-abiding citizens and their properties against rioters, vandals and looters. There should be severe punishments to deter them for causing more damages.

Diesel fumes, just like anything that burns are creating carcerogenic compounds which in human organism causes cancer - only with this logic planes spreads fumes even more. Vaping and drinking hot tea or coffee from plastic cups also causes cancers. Cancer causes are different, but spreading claim that diesel fumes causes cancer and is one of statistical causes is not based on reality and is a lie - or misinformation, if you have no clue about this topic.

There is more than one problem in France:
Populist Macron and his lack of results, globalization effects on economy and very heavy role of government on way of life of people. Function of Government is not collecting taxes, but using instruments - one of them are taxes for benefits of all citizens. Banning something or putting tax on something means, that some people will lose something. If French were so interested in environment, they could have replaced those cars with electric from collected taxes, but clearly - Macron was more interested in showing how he is Trump of environment... at least a year ago it was clear, that Macron won't be running for second time(no one would vote for him), so he is proposing EU army etc. in hopes of gaining chair somewhere. And he also did not thought that far proposing fuel tax.

Environmental issues are actually really secondary. Fuel tax would not change impact on ecology on such a scale as it would impact prices to run those cars. There is not only soot that comes from diesel fumes - there is enough dust from rubber, that comes from tires, too. There is also not enough lithium to produce batteries for cars, that should replace existing ones - not to mention, that mass production of plastic cars also consumes resources and leaves impact on ecology. Forests in Amazonia are not cut down, because of fuel, but because of consumption - there are way too many people on this planet and that amount impacts ecology and there is no help for it, even if all cars were turned off. So, ecologically we are screwed already - and even if we are doing environmentally friendly(to humans - not to environment, that includes animals) things. Only Thanos could create really big enough impact on ecology, so that it looks promising.

Diesel fumes, just like anything that burns are creating carcerogenic compounds which in human organism causes cancer - only with this logic planes spreads fumes even more. Vaping and drinking hot tea or coffee from plastic cups also causes cancers. Cancer causes are different, but spreading claim that diesel fumes causes cancer and is one of statistical causes is not based on reality and is a lie - or misinformation, if you have no clue about this topic.

Hey, I didn't know that drinking hot liquid from plastic cups can cause cancer. I checked this out online, I can see information about this. I occasionally do that because I am in a hurry and that if you use a mug, you need to wash it at work. I will bring a mug for work. So far, I do my health checks regularly I got no disease.

Hey, I didn't know that drinking hot liquid from plastic cups can cause cancer. I checked this out online, I can see information about this. I occasionally do that because I am in a hurry and that if you use a mug, you need to wash it at work. I will bring a mug for work. So far, I do my health checks regularly I got no disease.
OMG all coffees I get from Burger King that come in a plastic cup...they're gonna kill me!! Remember kids, there are many things that can lead to a fatal tumor....sunlight, the color red, being born in July, having brown eyes, using the microwave, firewood, owning a cat, the Internet, swimming pools, and being alive.

OMG all coffees I get from Burger King that come in a plastic cup...they're gonna kill me!! Remember kids, there are many things that can lead to a fatal tumor....sunlight, the color red, being born in July, having brown eyes, using the microwave, firewood, owning a cat, the Internet, swimming pools, and being alive.

it's amazing that most people simply die from old age

welfare states only can be maintained with cheap Brent, look at Norway. As such system is becoming untenable people is moving on to new redistribution systems, far-right politic parties are growing up under such conditions (to put aside from the system inmigrants), but internet is allowing now self-made strikes like those of the yellow vests, in this case against taxation which needs to rise to keep welfare and above all social peace. The future will be a time to check how much people is like they like to show they are.

Europe is balancing among 'madness' and 'madness'

from 'sterile nationalism' to 'negative progress lefts'

the last proposal of Tomas Piketty,
a modern philosopher which I admire his book, the capital at 21rst century,
will be the toombstone on EU's economy and connectivity,

modern EU politician and philosophers seems to focus in the close limited near future,
they seem to search temporary microeconomy solutions,
and they avoid to see macroeconomy and long future,

when a society reach this limit is doomed to collapse.

In order to insult me I must first value your opinion, nice try though. Mr Burger King lover. Our eating habits already shows that we are from two completely different worlds, not to mention anything else. I do not visit Burger Kings at all. Frequent Burger King customers are indeed unhealthy.

This thread has been viewed 15856 times.

Back