Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
North Ukrainian R1a-M417 sample I6561 (dated to approximately 3,960 BC) gives a different picture of R1a-M417 Corded Ware, as Corded Ware seems to have directly descended from its community, without the need for any additional Steppe DNA insertion from later Yamnaya or EEF DNA insertion from Neolithic North European communities.

It perhaps indicates that Corded Ware populations were tightly-knit - largely genetically uninfluenced not only by Yamnaya on the paternal side (unsurprisingly, as they had virtually wholly different yDNA), but also by EEF Neolithic communities on the maternal side. It looks like Corded Ware was both of uniform paternal lineage and largely endogamous - its best fit contribution from the EEF groups that it replaced (Funnel Beaker, GA and Baalberge etc.) looks to be about 2% on average, so I cannot see that its men took in too many outsider women as it expanded.

One possibly interesting aspect is that North Eastern Corded Ware (Latvia and Lithuania) is a little different in that it does appear to have a Yamnayan element - a 95% best-fit contribution in one Latvian sample, and a 17% average contribution in Lithuanian samples generally. It is perhaps striking that these North Eastern Corded Ware (Yamnayan-admixed) R1a populations were the only ones that survived and thrived in Europe after Corded Ware's collapse.
Makes perfect sense to me, I've always wondered how academia can be so stupid to expect 100% Y chromosome replacement from Yamnaya to Corded Ware yet think Corded Ware comes directly from Yamnaya.