Yule, Iranian or Germanic midwinter festival?

Cyrus

Banned
Reaction score
In Iran it is generally believed that Yule is an ancient Iranian festival which was adopted by the Germanic people.

https://www.academia.edu/7258903/Ch...n_Iranکریسمس_یک_سنت_کهن_از_دیار_پارسیان_ایران

As you may know the word Christmas is almost in all non-English speaking countries called Yule, for example in most of European countries. For instance, in Finnish Christmas is called Joulu (pronounced Yowlou i.e. Yule), in Swedish the Christmas day is called Juldag pronounced Youldag (Jul+dag, where dag = day). These all have its roots in Persian tradition Yalda (Yal=Yule, da = day), which has been celebrated for several thousands of years in Iran since the birth of Mitra/Mehr. Day symbolizes light and it is the sign of God and good power against the darkness, night, that symbolizes evil. In Iran the 21st of December occurs on the first day of 10th month of Persian calendar called DAY which is the start of Yalda season. This simply shows us how the Swedish word Juldag (=Jul, Yule + Day) and in Persian Yalda (=Yal+Day) are formed. In both the affix day comes from the name of the Persian month DAY which in English corresponds to the word day . Therefore literally Yule, Joulu, Juldag and Yal da means the Birth of the Day and light (Note: the name of month DAY because the longest night of the year is over on the night of 20th of December i.e. the Winter Solstice that Iranians have celebrated for several thousands years. From the first day of the Persian month DAY, the days become longer and longer and that's why it is celebrated as the birthday of light (which in old Persian is represented by Mehr, Mithra/Messiah).

What do you think about it?

A bit of linquistic inputs from the north.
English: Christmas means messe for Christ. Christendom stole the celebration from the pagans.
English: Yule, the ancient word, from wheel, also winter soltice, the year has passed a circle. Day means day, like Monday.
Danish: Jul and Hjul (modern spelling) pronounced the same and means wheel. Juletid, juletræ, julemad, julegave.
Jul /Yule has roots far bach in history. There are Bronze age sun wheels, soltice alignments in the stone age, and the notion of the sunwheel is probably very very old. Like bach to Dryas.
To my best knowledge yule means "a turn of the wheel". The wheel of a year and the wheel of life. Try and search for "bronze age sun circle" or "helleristninger."

Yule would be the evolution of an anglo-saxon 'geôl', or 'giuli', so apparently nothing in common with 'wheel' from 'hweol' or Danish 'hjul' from a proto-Germanic *hwehwla, itself from a PIE *kw- root (see Slavic 'kolo', 'kola')

It sounds like you know what you are talking about. But I suggest we are back before proto Germanic. Back in the time where onomatopoeia such as cow, Kuh, ko and bos were spoken by the same people.

This thread has been viewed 6411 times.

Back