Highly Heritable and Relevant Breed Differences in Dogs

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Tell us something we don't know. :)

The fact is there probably is between human populations as well, but no one wants to know about that.

It's clear from the research why so many people have Labrador Retrievers and Golden Retrievers, and why collies, including border collies have such a reputation for being easy to train. People should look at the chart in the paper before getting a dog. Beware of the small breeds: easier to keep in an apartment or in the city, but they can be vicious even to their owners. A shout out to my childhood dog, an English Springer Spaniel, a very nice breed overall, and my first dog as a married woman, a Standard Poodle, an excellent choice and an infinitely better choice than getting a toy size. .

See:
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2019/01/01/509315.full.pdf

vJVrOyb.png

Now that is a great paper, and yeah small dogs are horrid. I wonder why small dogs tend to be a lot less gentle and more "bitchy" than bigger dogs, anybody have ideas why?

Yorkshire Terriers are pure evil by the way, never get one.

I have dedicated 20 years to the sale of breed dogs. Dogs are adorable in general. My first dog was an American Cocker, Deva, beautiful, I lasted 16 years. I have had a golden, Diana, more good than bread, and now I have a Chihuahua, Lizzy Boom. I love an Irish Setter, an alman shepherd, but when buying a dog I agree that you have to look which one suits your needs and way of life more than being guided only by the dog you like the most.

Yorkshire I have sold many, is the dog that sells more in Spain, poodles, Maltese bichon, are the most common in sales. I always worked with professional breeders who have parents with a certificate of aptitude for reproduction, free of genetic defects, controlled character, and have never given problems of aggression or bad character.
The yorkshire is charming and always looking for activity; Although I live in a small apartment, the Chihuahua has surprised me, from now on and always Chihuahua.

The person who asks about the bad character of small dogs tell him he is wrong. That bad character is developed by the owners making the dog angry, it is funny to provoke, and piss off the little dog, it is revealed, and is acquiring that way of being. It's something I hate when people provoke and make dogs angry by pretending that they are playing with them, you have to know how to stop because then they attribute the bad character to the poor dog when the people are the ones who created it.

Whether the dog is small or large, we must educate it well. With the voice everything is done, nothing else is necessary. When the dog comes home whether you live alone or have a family the dog must know throughout his life that is the last of the herd, as he will often try to climb positions to go higher up in the hierarchy. When afterwards there are problems they usually start from the moment they are puppies and they are not being well educated, a problem of the owners who do not inform themselves about the race they have and learn the techniques to educate them. You have to check everything, I always have females because they do not raise their paws when urinating, more practical for an apartment, and there are puppies that although they take to the street three times they still have 7 months or even 11 months and when they return home it is when they urinate, after having been on the street for 2 hours. Information about everything. The small breeds are ideal, the yorkshire is a marvel and I advise buying it from professional breeders.

Soon I will open a thread about the breeds of Spanish dogs that are great unknown even to Spaniards at the time of acquiring them as pets.

Among the small breeds, I've heard great things about the Havanese, and the study seems to vindicate that. The Maltese don't get good scores and I have to say my personal experience bears that out. I like certain terrier breeds. My neighbor has a Border Terrier and he's a great dog.

I do agree that good training is very important, as is making sure you get the dog from a reputable breeder. For example, I think people can ruin Dobermans and Rottweilers. Yes, they are prone to stranger aggression: that's how they were bred. However, they're very sweet and loving dogs with their owners if they're treated correctly. People who have their own issues can train them to be vicious, but that's not their nature, certainly not with their families.

I want a chihuahua! And if I get one, I'm naming him Chalupa!!

[CITA = davef; 562781] ¡Quiero un chihuahua! ¡¡Y si consigo uno, lo voy a llamar Chalupa !! [/ QUOTE]

I advise you totally, they are wonderful, I would have half a dozen of them if I could. I had never paid attention to them but having had it made me addicted. I was about to take an Italian Piccolo what is divine but I needed something smaller and I chose the Chihuahua.

I want a chihuahua! And if I get one, I'm naming him Chalupa!!

Your mistake man, that little rat will live over 15 years only to keep constantly demanding things from you with incessant high-pitch barking. I hate cats, and I’d definitely rather have a cat.

It is necessary to do the detachment, the own mother does it in near time to the weaning. Not always that the dog claims your attention you have to do it, and from time to time especially after three months you have to reject it from time to time, it is called detachment, otherwise you create a dog with a great dependence on you. There is always time for games, caresses, pampering, but not in the hundred percent of times that the dog claims them, you are the one who commands. All the problems come from misinformation.

Now that is a great paper, and yeah small dogs are horrid. I wonder why small dogs tend to be a lot less gentle and more "bitchy" than bigger dogs, anybody have ideas why?

Yorkshire Terriers are pure evil by the way, never get one.

Smaller dogs can be Alfa too.
Every end of summer, in a tourist town in Italy you can see packs of dogs, most lost by tourists.
About 300 people live in this town from October to June, But the population rises in tens of thousands in the summer.
Because of hunger and isolation something happens to these dogs.
They form a pack, are dangerous, and sometimes they attack farm animals.
It's not uncommon to see a Medium-Sized Dog surrounded by much larger dogs, behaving like a leader.
I guess that Intelligence and maybe experience is more respected than size in troubled Dog packs.

In Spain the farmers or shepherds used to tie a female dog in heat to the outskirts so that a wolf would pregnate it, if only a male wolf would copulate with the female dog but if the wolf was accompanied by a wolf they would attack the female dog until it was killed . It was about getting a litter of dogs mixed wolves and as they say some behaved like dogs all their lives and others became wolves and ended up being very dangerous. I do not know why they did it, I imagine that for the guard dogs to have wolf blood and thus be more effective in carrying the enemy inside they would know better how to beat them.

This thread has been viewed 4812 times.

Back